Spring's 4 Separate Auto Strains - Soil - T8s - CFL - Closet Grow

Hey spring, looking good man. I just wanted to share something with you. During the first 2 days, I thought my temps were too high with my thermometer reading 85'sh. Then I learned that I was measuring the wrong temps. There's your ambient temp and radiant temp. By radiant temp I mean, of course, the ambient temp + whatever radiates from the light source (the latter greatly dissipates with distance). Now I have 2 thermometers in my tent, one at the level of the plant and in direct light from the CFL's. And another, also at the level of my plants but in a shaded area (made a little cardboard thing to shade it). After doing that, I realized that my ambient temps were at 72 when my radiant temps were at 86. What we care for in a CFL grow is the ambient temp. Your plants will gladly accept a radiant temp of over 90, as long as the breeze around them is a comfy 75-78. Think about it, even if the weather outside is a beautiful 75 degrees, this doesn't mean you can stand in direct suglight and still "feel" 75. This "feel" part is the radiant heat, and cannabis takes it like a champ when grown outdoors.
In my tent, with CFL's alone, I get an 89-90 radiant and 77 ambient, and my plants are loving it! There's a chance this might be all incorrect information lol, it's all based on my research and understanding of what I have read over the past few weeks. Remember, I'm new to this, I'd wait for someone more experienced to verify this info before taking action. Best of luck! I hope this helps somehow..

Hey spring, looking good man. I just wanted to share something with you. During the first 2 days, I thought my temps were too high with my thermometer reading 85'sh. Then I learned that I was measuring the wrong temps. There's your ambient temp and radiant temp. By radiant temp I mean, of course, the ambient temp + whatever radiates from the light source (the latter greatly dissipates with distance). Now I have 2 thermometers in my tent, one at the level of the plant and in direct light from the CFL's. And another, also at the level of my plants but in a shaded area (made a little cardboard thing to shade it). After doing that, I realized that my ambient temps were at 72 when my radiant temps were at 86. What we care for in a CFL grow is the ambient temp. Your plants will gladly accept a radiant temp of over 90, as long as the breeze around them is a comfy 75-78. Think about it, even if the weather outside is a beautiful 75 degrees, this doesn't mean you can stand in direct suglight and still "feel" 75. This "feel" part is the radiant heat, and cannabis takes it like a champ when grown outdoors.
In my tent, with CFL's alone, I get an 89-90 radiant and 77 ambient, and my plants are loving it! There's a chance this might be all incorrect information lol, it's all based on my research and understanding of what I have read over the past few weeks. Remember, I'm new to this, I'd wait for someone more experienced to verify this info before taking action. Best of luck! I hope this helps somehow..

Makes sense too me. I am monitoring in two areas. One is close to plant tops. I may have to move it some. The other is hanging in mid air 2 and a half feet above the tops. Maybe I should move this as well. They both read the same within a degree. I did just realize that I had a sheet of Mylar covering the shelf in the closet. No real reason just to have a clean barrier to lay tool and the such on. I just removed this because my outtake fan was pulling above the sheet. The shelf is 4 feet up. I really need to get this dialed in without having to keep the closet door open all the way. I will keep experimenting! Thanks for the help!!

Your walls should have some reflective material on them Mylar or similar. I prob wouldnt go leaving the door wide open as yes, if theres no reflective material to bounce light back to the plant it will be wasted to some extent.. So maybe just leave the door slightly ajar, so the Mylar will still reflect light back to them..I have to now as Cindy s hands are pushing the door open:) But she's in total dark when on 12/12, well theres some dull light, but not brighter than say a quarter moon..
Looking at your set up, do you have another small fan on the other end facing the other fan?? As if you did, i think that would definately help any heat issues, but, the CFL's shouldnt put out that much heat?? Ive had my HI output CFL's 2 inches from tops with 1 10" fan and i didnt have any probs?? Maybe your space just needs to breathe better, have a think about what you could do to increase the dissapation of het, ie; some small holes up top, a small section you can open up like a flap, and peg open for a while? Also you dont have to have ights on 24/7 for seedlings. 20/4 or 18/6 will be fine mate.. Just a thought, cant remenber what light cycle your using?LOl.. Anyways mate, you can make some cheap DIY reflectors for you CFL's, i used a tin foil baking dish to great effect before!!
Anyways take it easy and hope all goes well for you pal! Smokem..

Thanks for replying! My light cycle is 20 on 4 off. I have Mylar covering all of the walls within the grow area. Including the doors. Now that I think about it I may pull the Mylar down from the doors and utilize a reflector as you suggest. The doors have slats running from top to bottom. I just hated the light bleed through. I have an extra 4 inch fan that will allow for placement directly across from the other. Its hard too see in the Pic but I do have basically a 4 foot by 18 inch fixture directly above the CFL's with 6 T8's running. Initially I was going to run the CFL's for a few weeks then add the T8's in and re position the CFL's for support lighting. Since they were already in place I went ahead and turned them on too. I just turned them off to see if there is a change. I could always just utilize it as a reflector for now. Hell this may be an additional reason the heat will not dissipate. I think I have created a perfect storm for temp issues! As for holes in the top I could do something. Basically I would cut passive vents but this will create a patching issue later down the road. The only reason I say this is My wife and I may be buying a home soon!

Thanks again for your advice. I do appreciate it!

You can't go wrong listening to Smokem's advice, and Cindy is a beastie that definitely shows he knows what he is talking about :)

Yay I found you spring!! Looking like you have some yum yum going on.... :yummy: Definitely get some fannage happening, I will look over the journal better now but just want to let you know I was happy to find your journal! Thanks again for your help last night. I am grateful....

:peace:

Yay I found you spring!! Looking like you have some yum yum going on.... :yummy: Definitely get some fannage happening, I will look over the journal better now but just want to let you know I was happy to find your journal! Thanks again for your help last night. I am grateful....

:peace:

Great ! Thanks! I feel pretty good I have the Temps dialed in now. Did much moving around with everyone help and advice

Small update: Thanks to everyone for helping with my temp issue. While replying to Smokem's advice I realized some of the issues! I added the extra fan across the lights facing the other fan (Thanks Fluffy and Smokem). I have the outtake fan Angled down from the top of closet blowing out of the slats in the doors. I removed the sheet covering the top shelf 4 feet up. This was a grated type of shelf. The sheet trapped heat before the fan could push it out. I removed the top 3 feet of Mylar from the closet doors. Keeping the bottom 4 feet. ( these are autos that will not get that tall anyway). I closed the doors completely and have been running a steady temp of 80 with RH at 55%. I feel much better now. Plants look happy and healthy. I also have positioned my thermometers to show ambient and radiant heat ( thanks ISmoke ).. Makes more sense now. :thumb::thumb:

Damn I guess I'm not the only one with heat issues ..I see ur getting a lot
Of help from happy growers . Nice to kno they're really are
People willing to lend alitle help and advice ... Shout out to SPRING
Keep up that good grow broad props hope u resolve that heat issue... Same to meee

Peace .. Happy growing

Damn I guess I'm not the only one with heat issues ..I see ur getting a lot
Of help from happy growers . Nice to kno they're really are
People willing to lend alitle help and advice ... Shout out to SPRING
Keep up that good grow broad props hope u resolve that heat issue... Same to meee

Peace .. Happy growing

These guys and gals have been a tremendous help! be sure to put a link to your journal in your signature. If you have a hard time just search it.

Thanks for replying! My light cycle is 20 on 4 off. I have Mylar covering all of the walls within the grow area. Including the doors. Now that I think about it I may pull the Mylar down from the doors and utilize a reflector as you suggest. The doors have slats running from top to bottom. I just hated the light bleed through. I have an extra 4 inch fan that will allow for placement directly across from the other. Its hard too see in the Pic but I do have basically a 4 foot by 18 inch fixture directly above the CFL's with 6 T8's running. Initially I was going to run the CFL's for a few weeks then add the T8's in and re position the CFL's for support lighting. Since they were already in place I went ahead and turned them on too. I just turned them off to see if there is a change. I could always just utilize it as a reflector for now. Hell this may be an additional reason the heat will not dissipate. I think I have created a perfect storm for temp issues! As for holes in the top I could do something. Basically I would cut passive vents but this will create a patching issue later down the road. The only reason I say this is My wife and I may be buying a home soon!

Thanks again for your advice. I do appreciate it!

HI Springa:) How ya going??
Hope all is well over your way... Yeah, i dont suggest you go cutting holes into plaster boards and stuff!! Why dont you just get a piece of cardboard or even some thin polystyrene, and attach that to the inside of the door you want to leave ajar a bit... It will stop any light getting thru, then just tape the MYlar over that:) It will insulate/block light and be able to reflect light back all in the same go!!! And its cheap:):)
And as for you running the t8's as well, that could explain why temps are up a bit:;): But yeah, with the extra lil fan goin it may just cover you if you leave the door ajar for an hour or so every now and then.. I know its not fully self sufficient but - I LOVE HANDS ON STUFF:)
Gives my active mind sumthin to do!! See how you go mate, hope you get it all goin nicely soon enuf:thumb:
Later pal, SMOKEM....

HI Springa:) How ya going??
Hope all is well over your way... Yeah, i dont suggest you go cutting holes into plaster boards and stuff!! Why dont you just get a piece of cardboard or even some thin polystyrene, and attach that to the inside of the door you want to leave ajar a bit... It will stop any light getting thru, then just tape the MYlar over that:) It will insulate/block light and be able to reflect light back all in the same go!!! And its cheap:):)
And as for you running the t8's as well, that could explain why temps are up a bit:;): But yeah, with the extra lil fan goin it may just cover you if you leave the door ajar for an hour or so every now and then.. I know its not fully self sufficient but - I LOVE HANDS ON STUFF:)
Gives my active mind sumthin to do!! See how you go mate, hope you get it all goin nicely soon enuf:thumb:
Later pal, SMOKEM....

Thanks for the advice! I feel good about my temps now. I will keep an eye on them for sure.

Today i found a curious little Grey fly looking creature crawling around my one of my pots. I did not see it until I misted the dry soil and it started to fly around. I killed it fast! An hour ago I noticed another one in another pot. They are very small slender grey creatures with small wins. They do fly! I really hope they are like a pot guard! Time for me to research!

Today i found a curious little Grey fly looking creature crawling around my one of my pots. I did not see it until I misted the dry soil and it started to fly around. I killed it fast! An hour ago I noticed another one in another pot. They are very small slender grey creatures with small wins. They do fly! I really hope they are like a pot guard! Time for me to research!

Mine weren't flying. Could just be fruit flies. They're a bitch here right now!:)
My sand top worked for my critters, and added a bit of aeration ultimately as well. Others have used Diatomaceous(?) earth. Which I think slices 'em up when they try to surface. But I think it may potentially be a hazard to your roots. I could be confusing this with another substance though. I'll bet Smoken knows what I'm talking about. ;)

:high-five: on your temps!

After some research I feel that SNS 203 is the quickest most effective way to go. I am trying to avoid 4 different methods and DIY's on this issue! My plant are in no need of a big watering. I will mist the top with SNS203 and allow the pots to dry out more before I do a soil drench. I will also use fly strips around the pots. Any opinions?

Oh no... I've not had the dubious pleasure of meeting Fungus Gnats. I'll be round shortly to help stamp them out. I don't do bugs.

Back
Top Bottom