Sprouts fell over and stems are getting hair thin

51WdY8t+NCL._AC_SY400_.jpg

In a shower... humidity is likely a bit high. Coupled with the overwatering, that may explain it. Let em dry out on a windowsill for a couple days and pray. They don't look good though man.

update:

they still look the same. they have not withered up or dried out or anything. most of the plants are turning to face the window. hoping this is a good sign.

Sorry it's not looking good, damname. If this continues to go south use this as an opportunity to ask the more experienced folks for help prior to starting the next attempt.

Sorry it's not looking good, damname. If this continues to go south use this as an opportunity to ask the more experienced folks for help prior to starting the next attempt.

yea your right. i really dropped the ball on this one. i tried to follow guides and read as much as i could but still fell short. it really isnt as easy as find the best dirt and get a good light. it was a $130 loss in all but i did learn a few things! i will indeed start a thread and get some help before i slaughter innocent plants again.

Looks like you did alright with the germination. Next time make sure the soil is made specifically for seedlings and don't add anything but water for the first couple weeks.

My guess is that your seedlings damped off. A fungi attacked your seedlings. You either overwatered them and the moist conditions allowed the fungi to proliferate or some of your equipment was contaminated. It attacks the roots and and moves very fast. It can also move from container to container taking out an entire grow. It usually only attacks seeds and seedlings.
I just lost two seedlings to them damping off. Their stems collapse
Start them in a light seedling mix next time and read Emilya's watering article.

Those are whats called dead.

They have dampened off, most likely caused by a combination of your soil not having nearly enough aeration, too much water, too much nitrogen and very warm.
It's a fungal infection, and now that fungus "Pythium" is in that soil.
You can try to give it some antifungal agents like copper and garlic oil and I think there are a few others or you can toss that soil and start fresh.
If you dont get rid of the spores its likely to come back.

I would suggest starting fresh, and do so by building a soil with at least 30% aeration, put that soil in a fabric pot which greatly lessens the chances of what just happened.
Contrary to popular belief you can plant the germinated seed directly in your final pot, it's just as easy to water and makes no difference unless you cant control yourself and drown the whole pot daily.

All you need to do is water in a circle about 1" around the seedling with a syringe just enough to moisten the soil about 2" deep, in proper soil that will dry out quickly and will need just a light little watering usually twice a day for the first week, just expand the circle to 2" then 3" and same with depth until by week two you should be able to water the whole pot.
The whole key is proper soil tilth, once you have that the rest is easy.

can’t blame the medium. I use that stuff and it works fantastically well for me, even for seedlings. I think virgin’s got it right. You overwatered them to death as well as keeping your lights too far away.
Next time, water your cups one time before you pop in the seeds, then just mist the tops a couple times a day with a spray bottle so you don’t waterlog the grow medium. Keep doing that until they’ve got their first set of true leaves, then let them dry out.

Just came across this post so don't know how things stand at present. I read your first post and along with pictures it provided allot of information people seemed to miss by not reading carefully.
First the stretched very very bad which caused the stems to get very thin and the plants fell over and will die without intervention. By reading your post it seemed the culprit was said. You stated you didn't turn on light until after they had sprouted and stretched. Without any light source your planted continued to think they were underground and kept pushing for sun and the surface. I would recommend in . The future to germinate with soft light(CFL) so that plants will reach surface see light and not streach. Also propping up a seedlings that has stretched with something is VEry common and I have seen toothpicks, straws , etc so that wasn't an issue , it was just to late in . This case because they had stretched way to much for support.
Now the plant is back thats still up right I would re bury all the way up to near top. As a hail Mary for others I would also rebury, kinda coil them like a snake with just tops out of soil and hopefully they will root. I have never tried this process with such extreme stretching.
Over watering could have added to problems but I think it was 99% stretching. I also have used that soil and no problem.
Sorry for the essay hopefully they survive.

Just came across this post so don't know how things stand at present. I read your first post and along with pictures it provided allot of information people seemed to miss by not reading carefully.
First the stretched very very bad which caused the stems to get very thin and the plants fell over and will die without intervention. By reading your post it seemed the culprit was said. You stated you didn't turn on light until after they had sprouted and stretched. Without any light source your planted continued to think they were underground and kept pushing for sun and the surface. I would recommend in . The future to germinate with soft light(CFL) so that plants will reach surface see light and not streach. Also propping up a seedlings that has stretched with something is VEry common and I have seen toothpicks, straws , etc so that wasn't an issue , it was just to late in . This case because they had stretched way to much for support.
Now the plant is back thats still up right I would re bury all the way up to near top. As a hail Mary for others I would also rebury, kinda coil them like a snake with just tops out of soil and hopefully they will root. I have never tried this process with such extreme stretching.
Over watering could have added to problems but I think it was 99% stretching. I also have used that soil and no problem.
Sorry for the essay hopefully they survive.

i agree. i dont think i over watered them. i guess the stretching was pretty obvious to most here. my last plant died yesterday with yellow leaves. i stopped watering them when it was suggested that i put them in a windowsill and pray. prolly a perfect storm of stretching and rich soil.

these plants were doing great until i put them under the light. the guide i followed said to germinate them, put them in soil once they have a good taproot, keep in a dark place temperature controlled for a few days and them put under the light 3 foot away (for led lights). i turned the light on at bedtime and when i woke up and checked them....they were pretty much dead. 1 plant survived and a few days later it too died with crisp yellow leaves.

i wetted the soil and the jiffy pots and let them sit for a lil while....then i planted them. i misted them twice a day while in the dark never soaking the soil or the plants. the plants were easily an 1.5 inches tall before i put them under the light.

a bad guide and my inexperience killed these plants... in the end its my fault. i shoulda did the noob thing and just asked here on the forums for help before i ever started them.

and just asked here on the forums for help before i ever started them.

Please feel free to ask us anything-none of us were born knowing this stuff,we've all screwed up before,and learned from it-that's how we know what to do,and,more importantly,what not to do...

I think its too much water causing pressure issues. When you put the seed in the medium, I would lightly water just the area where the seed is with a spray bottle. No need to soak the entire pot. Then I use the spray bottle to keep the center of the pot moist. Once it pops up and gets strong, I start using a shot glass. Don't want to pour water in so fast that it loosens up the soil, which unsettles the roots and makes the plants fall over.

Lastly, make sure your heat is proper. The one time that happened to me, it was outside on a deck that was 90F, and I was over watering the hell out of them. They looked identical to yours.

i agree. i dont think i over watered them. i guess the stretching was pretty obvious to most here. my last plant died yesterday with yellow leaves. i stopped watering them when it was suggested that i put them in a windowsill and pray. prolly a perfect storm of stretching and rich soil.

these plants were doing great until i put them under the light. the guide i followed said to germinate them, put them in soil once they have a good taproot, keep in a dark place temperature controlled for a few days and them put under the light 3 foot away (for led lights). i turned the light on at bedtime and when i woke up and checked them....they were pretty much dead. 1 plant survived and a few days later it too died with crisp yellow leaves.

i wetted the soil and the jiffy pots and let them sit for a lil while....then i planted them. i misted them twice a day while in the dark never soaking the soil or the plants. the plants were easily an 1.5 inches tall before i put them under the light.

a bad guide and my inexperience killed these plants... in the end its my fault. i shoulda did the noob thing and just asked here on the forums for help before i ever started them.

So after the seeds were sprouted you kept them in the dark for three days? If so don’t do that, as soon as they’re above the soil they need light. Also I would plant the seeds when they first crack open and you first seek the tap root starting to poke out. At that point you know the seed was good and will grow. Letting the root get any longer is just increasing the risk of damaging it for no reason.

Do you have a fan for them? Seedlings need a nice light air flow that makes them sway a bit in the wind I use an oscillating fan usually so they’re not constantly getting hit with the wind but it’s still enough to force the plant to grow a nice healthy strong stem.

I agree with the rest that they look over watered. It looks like the soil is pretty saturated in the pictures. I personally use solo cups for the first couple weeks of a seedlings life even after years of growing I have over watered seedlings the first time I tried germinating directly in larger containers. The root zone need oxygen when you saturate it you’re basically drowning them. I know you don’t think you over watered them but trust us you did. Don’t feel bad basically EVERY new grower over waters their plants in the beginning. It’s by far the easiest and most common mistake made.

Combine the soil being saturated and not having any light or enough airflow for a few days and your gonna some really sick babies on your hands :(

Edit now that I reread everything the over watering may not of been that the soil was to wet but that the stems were. With no light or breeze and using a mister to water the soil the stems may have been to damp regardless of the soil moisture.

I wouldn’t use a mister to water with. When they’re this young the stems are susceptible to rotting from to much moisture. When I water my babies I try and keep the water away from getting directly on the base of the stem and use a small cup so I can control how much each one gets. I don’t let the soil dry out between watering when they’re this young. I water when they are around half as heavy as when they were just watered. It’s important to not water to much when u do water you’re not trying to get the soil to hold as much water as it’s capable of just enough so the soil is moist for the first couple weeks. Once they’re established and you have a couple sets of true leaves you can start watering them more and letting them get more dried out between watering which forces the plant to grow roots looking for water setting up the foundation for a healthy flower cycle :thumb:

If you have to steak the plants they don’t have enough light and possibly breeze but with enough light they will stay short enough to not need it without a breeze but regardless you want some airflow it helps other things too.

It’s also a possibility that the stem that grew above ground before the lights got turned on was actually root material since it was dark which then died once exposed to the light.
:passitleft:

Hey @damname ... sorry to hear things didn't work out.

I suggest you start again ... start a grow journal here and you'll definitely succeed.

Also, do your research up front ... there are a lot of great current grow journals ... so pick a few and read through them.

Alright ... live and learn ... shake it off ... and see you soon in your first grow journal!

Damn name sorry about your luck, but no worries we have all been there. SmokeyMcFly I agree with everything you said, In addition to this, get rid of those Jiffy pots, they are a curse, use solo cups or 4 inch pots, I use them and they are great. Important. Have your fans and lights on as soon as you put in to soil, water lightly daily at first, then to twice a day. pay attn to stretching and light distance and make sure the fan is far enough away from plants so the leaves dont get bruised from the breeze. at thirteen days i start feeding 1/4 strength nutes GH 3 part series with calimagic. Good luck, hope this helps you.

Back
Top Bottom