Haha that's exactly how I thought. I mean back in the day it was throw it under the biggest MH/HPS you could use without burning the tent/house and plants down and let it ride. Now you have to account for watts and true watts, canopy height, ppfd maps, usable spectrums, and diode types just to name a few. The LED rabbit hole is a deep dive and I stopped before I got into too deep lol.
I dove down that LED hole for veg only!

I like the old school method myself with the New LEC and some old school sodium with a touch of technology, that works fine for me and doesn't cost much more in electrical if you have the space and set up✌️

Well everything Vivosun showed up today so I spent this evening arranging and rearranging things to try and get it all in there. I was able to hook up the Growhub E42A to everything relatively easy and set up a seedling program and away we go. The Aerolight wing 200wSE is really sweet and covers quite a bit of the tent. I currently have it 24"away and set to 60% 18/6. This was the preset program for seedlings however it seems very bright to me. The wedding crasher has roots coming out of the bottom of the pot. My GroBucket order got pushed out another week which is BS but what can you do.
PXL_20231202_033347685.jpg
wedding crasher
PXL_20231202_033349562.jpg

Blueberry

PXL_20231202_033403229.jpg

All hooked up.

I was up early this morning and made some progress, the girls will be heading into their final home tonight because the grobuckets have landed. I also decided to crack another purple haze seed because I have three buckets made up and I'm planning on taking a clone from each strain and creating a mother. I know size could be an issue but I'm willing to keep them smaller and more compact on this run. I'm looking for quality over quantity.

My soil mix per bucket is 4 gallons of mother Earth ground swell, 3/4c of Gaia Green 4-4-4, 1c of earthworm castings (will top dress with more once the seedlings are planted), and 3ish tbsp of Dynomyco. I am going to let the soil warm up to the tents temperature before planting tonight.
PXL_20231203_135226262.jpg

Looks great and good plan. I'd take those clones a few weeks into flower. Once they re vegged they make excellent mommas with tons of branches. I use the flowering clones for scrogs usually but they make good mothers.
Ya that was my plan, I have a couple people who'd be interested in some clones but for now that's a ways in the future lol I'm just trying to get my first set of full leaves. But the seedlings are in the SIP buckets and the wedding crasher had quite the root system for only a little over a week. Im hoping the soil gives them a little food and gets them rolling. Also I added a cam in the tent in case another emergency out of town trip happens.

Screenshot_20231203-201219.png

Well I was able to score another Vivosun Aerolight at 50% of, this one is the 100w version with the Samsung diodes and fills the tent out perfectly. It's going to go over the wedding crasher for now. The wedding crasher is looking great and is out pacing the blueberry. The purple haze is up and leaves are starting to form so should only be a week to a week and a half behind.

PXL_20231208_232450179.jpg

I was just checking on the plants today and found the under side of the wedding crasher leaves are oddly purple but the tops are a really nice green. I'm thinking maybe it's due to the dip in temps the last 2 nights. I don't believe it's a deficiency but I'm going to post some pics if anyone's thinks it's something I should be concerned about.
PXL_20231209_191826488.jpg
PXL_20231209_193808114.jpg

PXL_20231209_191813927.jpg

I was just checking on the plants today and found the under side of the wedding crasher leaves are oddly purple but the tops are a really nice green. I'm thinking maybe it's due to the dip in temps the last 2 nights. I don't believe it's a deficiency but I'm going to post some pics if anyone's thinks it's something I should be concerned about.
PXL_20231209_191826488.jpg
PXL_20231209_193808114.jpg

PXL_20231209_191813927.jpg
I've seen that on a couple of plants I grew that had purple genetics. It's probably nothing to worry about, but I'd keep an eye on it, just in case.

Things are just chugging along, and the wedding crasher is def going to be a nice plant and has its 4th set of leaves coming in and I will top it to start the quadlining and training. The blueberry is starting to pick up steam but is still much smaller than the wedding crasher. The purple haze is still very much a seedling but direct planting it into the SIP will hopefully let it get the roots down to the reservoir faster.
PXL_20231212_004713135.jpg

Group shot
PXL_20231212_004701984.jpg
Purple Haze 7ish days since sprout

PXL_20231212_004646416.jpg

Blueberry 15 days since sprout
PXL_20231212_004427674.jpg

Wedding Crasher 14 days since sprout

So I'm going to have to refill the resivours within a day or two, should I be pHing the RO water down even though I'm not watering through the soil?

Also because I'm using slow release organic nutes is there any nutes I should pick up that would be beneficial for my situation? I've read some good things about using recharge once or twice through the grow. I believe Gaia green has silica and cal/mag as part of the formula, although I'm not sure how much. Is there anything you all use that may not be necessary but you feel helps achieve peak plant quality?

Going through your thread I noticed you wrap your bucket with the heating pad. I like that. I'd never seen that before. Much better than just placing on top of the pad. Has it helped the plants? I like keeping young plants warm. Especially the medium.

I'm real interested in those sip buckets. The grows I've seen are off the chain and it's such a simple wick method. Looking at some diy plans. Ive got a few tubs to play with. I'm gonna make it happen for the next grow even if I have to buy a few. Where did ya get your st?

Girls are lookin sweet. This stage is soooo slow,.lol. Can't wait till we have tents full of buds swaying in the wind.

Your soil should buffer the water as it comes up through the res. As far as nutes go probably better off someone else chiming in as I’m not a soil guy but I would say you can never have too much Cal-Mag. Well I mean you probably can but you know what I mean.
Ok cool, I was kinda hoping that was it, although I did find a pretty decent grow store close to me that in a pinch I can pick up stuff.

Going through your thread I noticed you wrap your bucket with the heating pad. I like that. I'd never seen that before. Much better than just placing on top of the pad. Has it helped the plants? I like keeping young plants warm. Especially the medium.

I'm real interested in those sip buckets. The grows I've seen are off the chain and it's such a simple wick method. Looking at some diy plans. Ive got a few tubs to play with. I'm gonna make it happen for the next grow even if I have to buy a few. Where did ya get your st?

Girls are lookin sweet. This stage is soooo slow,.lol. Can't wait till we have tents full of buds swaying in the wind.
So I did kind of make an S to half wrap two of them because of the lower temps as seedlings. Now that I'm heading towards a true Veg settings on my lights, the temps are heating the soil and it keeps the seedlings pretty warm so the heat mat is just in there because I haven't taken it out yet haha.

As for the SIP Buckets, I was going to DIY them but I just hit the "EASY" button (Amazon) because I was lazy lol. They are the GroBucket and it is stupid easy to set up. They also make an insert for larger pots which is pretty nifty as well. I can't wait till the two week stall is over and the plants really start taking off because this early slow grow is boring.

Hey Joe! Thanks for swinging through!

I've got a post Here in the SIP Club thread on how I build mine.

I've got a post Here in the SIP Club thread on how I build mine.
Thanks Azimuth, I am set on the idea of the sip method for my next go with fems or regs. Eventually I'd like to setup my auto tent with them as well. I really like the infinity buckets with the fabric 3gal pots. Their system is pretty clean and would be easy to clone with a netpot and small res. Oh the ideas that run though my head... constantly..lol.

Back when I was growing steady in the early 2000s I started bottom feeding everything in a pot and catch trays. I'd simply dump the water in the tray and let them wick up for 3-4hrs. Then take a turkey baster and draw out any leftovers. Once you gauge how much to use each time you don't get much spoils. My house plants live spoils..lol. These newer bucket systems make it even more stupid simple..lol.

I'm sure once I get a system setup I'll never turn back. This old guy doesn't like to cut corners on a grow but I do live simplicity..lol. Call me lazy I don't care..lol

Thanks Azimuth, I am set on the idea of the sip method for my next go with fems or regs. Eventually I'd like to setup my auto tent with them as well. I really like the infinity buckets with the fabric 3gal pots. Their system is pretty clean and would be easy to clone with a netpot and small res. Oh the ideas that run though my head... constantly..lol.

Back when I was growing steady in the early 2000s I started bottom feeding everything in a pot and catch trays. I'd simply dump the water in the tray and let them wick up for 3-4hrs. Then take a turkey baster and draw out any leftovers. Once you gauge how much to use each time you don't get much spoils. My house plants live spoils..lol. These newer bucket systems make it even more stupid simple..lol.

I'm sure once I get a system setup I'll never turn back. This old guy doesn't like to cut corners on a grow but I do live simplicity..lol. Call me lazy I don't care..lol
I've read through so many SIP grows and it is just simpler. With my work schedule its going to give me a ton of freedom and all while (hopefully) growing quality product. You can make it's super easy like me and just add slow release organic nutes, soil and top dress or go into a full lineup of synthetic nutes with a variety of mediums. However you do it it seems to be that happy middle ground between growth of DWC and quality bud and ease of soil. @Azimuth started me down that SIP grow journal rabbit hole lol and also the #Quadline which I'll be starting in a day or two. Also I looked into the swick trays from Infinity and I almost pulled the trigger on them but went for the SIP instead.

Back
Top Bottom