SteveHman's Advanced LED - 1000 Watt/BP Nutrients - Going For Max Yield Grow-Grow 6.5

Re: SteveHman's Advanced LED - 1000 Watt/BP Nutrients - Going For Max Yield Grow-Grow

A big question that I kept getting was about the air pots. I also had smart pots in the grow. So here are a few shots of the roots from both.

The tent after the slaughter:
DSCN05223.JPG

Smart pot, 1 gallon (shot from the bottom, roots growing through but pruning themselves):
DSCN05232.JPG

Smart pots are reusable, but I went ahead and sliced this open so you can see the sides of the coco:
DSCN05244.JPG

I sliced out a wedge of the coco and shook out the roots to show the amount of root-matter:
DSCN05256.JPG

The Air Pots, 3.4 gal, shot from the top after removing hydroton and coco mat:
DSCN05263.JPG

The sides of the Air Pots removed:
DSCN05273.JPG

The root mass of the Air Pots:
DSCN05285.JPG

The last time I watered these was over a week ago. They were not completely dried out yet, the coco coir was still moist in the center of most of them, even the 1 gallon smart pot.

My opinion on the two pots are that they both work well with coco. I think the Air Pots were underutilized by the plant. A smaller pot would have done just as well. The Smart Pot did very well and seemed to be about the right size for the size plant and style of grow.

Conclusion:
My next grow in the tent will be with 2 gallon smart pots, same diameter as the 1 gal, but taller. I will be able to get more plants in the same space than by using Air Pots, the goal is to put 12~15 in each side.

Air Pots:
Pros: Seems like they will last for several years. Easy to use. Easy to clean between grows. Bottom of the coco is above the base so the roots air-prune from all sides.

Cons: Expensive. Need to water them slowly, as they tend to drain through the side-holes near the top.

Smart Pots:
Pros: Less expensive than Air Pots. Easy to use. Well made, should be able to get 4~6 grows out of them if you take care of them between grows. Sides wick up fluids--perfect for a flood type system.

Cons: Not as easy to remove plants after chop. Harder to clean than Air Pots between rounds. If placed directly on the base of the tub, the bottom roots may not have a chance to dry out and prune--could be a opportunity for root rot to set in.

I'll be journaling the next grow in the tent and will document how I overcome any of the cons of the Smart Pots. I should have the tent ready to go by next Tuesday and should have the new journal up at that time.

Re: SteveHman's Advanced LED - 1000 Watt/BP Nutrients - Going For Max Yield Grow-Grow

For anyone that is new to comparison grows, THIS is how it's done. Thank you SteveHman for a very informative comparison of the two.

It is an awesome comparison. I love the fact that you put in pics of the root mass for all to see. Your opinion due to this is valued as you backed it up with documentation showing why you arrived at your conclusion. The conclusion itself is well documented, and completely clear. This makes great reference material for anyone that is weighing the two to try to arrive at a decision for which to use.

+rep is well deserved.

Thanks Jandre2k3.

Here are two more shots of the root masses.

The Smart Pot, the entire pot was a mass, absolutely no circling on the roots, just tons of lateral growth.
DSCN05297.JPG

The Air Pot. Had a really nice root mass, just not as nice as the smaller Smart Pot. If the plants were to go for a longer veg (maybe 8 weeks) then this would have been much denser:
DSCN05318.JPG

As you can see, the majority of the root mass on the Air Pot was near the top, I think more veg time would have really filled out the media better. I think the 3.4 gal Air Pot would be a good option for a longer veg time and could accommodate a much larger plant.

Thanks Jandre2k3.

Here are two more shots of the root masses.

The Smart Pot, the entire pot was a mass, absolutely no circling on the roots, just tons of lateral growth.
DSCN05297.JPG

The Air Pot. Had a really nice root mass, just not as nice as the smaller Smart Pot. If the plants were to go for a longer veg (maybe 8 weeks) then this would have been much denser:
DSCN05318.JPG

As you can see, the majority of the root mass on the Air Pot was near the top, I think more veg time would have really filled out the media better. I think the 3.4 gal Air Pot would be a good option for a longer veg time and could accommodate a much larger plant.

whoa, they really didn't reach very far down did they? hmm... I agree that they'd be better for a larger plant, 8 - 12 weeks veg maybe.

I use air pots regularly but to get the most out of them u def need longer veg periods to allow that root mass to develop. Depends on how ur grow style is but u can easily get just as nice a plant, if not better, using an airpot wen compared with a regular double sized pot. nice grow....

super nice grow, steve, & i really like the way u document everything.

super nice grow, steve, & i really like the way u document everything.
Thanks paw-paw. I need to take good notes so I can go back and see what I did good or bad on a grow. I try to keep all of my data transparent so it is useful for others as well. I really just started journaling as a way of keeping good notes on a grow. Otherwise I would have a stack of post-it notes all over my desk.

haha! to hell w/post-its.....i'm waiting on that beautiful spreadsheet! that thing really tells the tale! great work, btw.

Another sample platter of the recent harvest:
DSCN05346.JPG

Another day or two and the bigger nugs will be dry enough to go into jars. These are the smaller ones that are already dry.

Final dry weights and results from the BPN 2 and 3 part. The Pink is the 3-part, the Blue is the 2-part. Not a huge difference. Both performed awesome (great job on the mix Corey!).

Total weights put this right at .8 gpw, so a nice hand to the Advanced DS lights as well!

BPN+Advanced=great results

Results.PNG
Now I need to get all of the number plugged into the spreadsheet and then I'll close this one out.

Final dry weights and results from the BPN 2 and 3 part. The Pink is the 3-part, the Blue is the 2-part. Not a huge difference. Both performed awesome (great job on the mix Corey!).

Total weights put this right at .8 gpw, so a nice hand to the Advanced DS lights as well!

BPN+Advanced=great results

Now I need to get all of the number plugged into the spreadsheet and then I'll close this one out.

:whoa::thedoubletake:

A big hand for 0.8GPW!!

:welldone:

EDIT: GAH! someone rep him for me!

congrats, bud! looks like the heavy duty truely was....best yielder, that is.

Back
Top Bottom