Stoned4daze61's 2011 Outdoor Grow - Veg Indoor

Re: Stoned4daze61's 2011 Outdoor Grow (Veg Indoor)

Thanks man that means alot to me coming from you. I put up some poly film to drape over the tent just because I was worried of light leaks for the 1 hour cycle during nightime. I just did it as a precaution to prevent any leaks hitting the plants in flower.

I'm considering purchasing a better fixture for vegging, the 150w hps gets the tent a little hot (82-87) during hottest time of the day. I think it will be nice when time comes to flower a couple in the tent, but since the majority use of this tent will be for veg I'm thinking of an upgrade. I have two DIY CFL fixtures that I built that can hold a total of 20 bulbs but I think around 13 or so would fit comfortably in the tent. I want to have 3 plants vegging in the tent, all of which will be transplanted into 5gal's before transitioned to flower. 13 bulbs would give me around 23,000 lumens, of course using 6500k's with maybe a few 2700k's. Right now I'm using the 150w hps and 5 cfls which is almost 25,000 lumens. But I'm wondering if it isn't as efficient since half of those lumens are from the red spectrum which isn't needed as much for veg and I've heard that Hps causes stretching. Should I use my DIY CFL fixtures even though its -2,000 lumens since I can mix a higher blue/red spectrum for Veg ? 13 CFL's = roughly 351watts
150w+5 cfl's= roughly 285 watts

Is their something I'm missing ? Does the hps not account for the ballast or does it really have that much more lumens per watt ? Would that make 13 cfl's in my tent hotter then the 150w hps + 5 cfls ?

Also what I was really interested in, would their be a significant difference between my cfl's and say a 2ft 4 bulb HO T5 ? I can place a shit load of cfls everywhere to increase my lumens but is it different since it is more of a spot light then a footprint of light ? I noticed that the HO T5 was around 10,000 lumens, I can easily double that with cfls but aren't your lumens drastically dropping after a few inches away, so when you spread 20 cfls out you technically aren't getting the 1,750lmx20 because the sources are spread out ? So would a 10,000 lumen 4 bulb HO T5 be an upgrade to many cfl's or my 150w hps ? I'm thinking it distributes the lumens more evenly and will penetrate better then the cfls, or am i crazy ? I want to be able to veg 3 nice bushy girls with some tight inter node spacing and I want to be sure before I waste $60 on a T5 that will just be equal to my cfls or 150w hps

my 8 bulb DIY CFL fixture puts out 14,000lm and I also have a 12bulb should I just say fuck the T5 or is it really a step up from cfls ?

Hopefully someone can answer my blabbing Lol I'm too high right now

I picked up a few goodies the other day. Got 2 Air pots to try out (these things look badass for a pot), 2 of the ROOTS 5 gal fabric pots to try instead of my usual 5 gallon home depot bucket), the guy at the store hooked it up with a pot full of lava rocks to try as well after discussing hydroton.

I also picked up a Bag of Royal Golds Tupur mix for $15, I wanted to try out some coco after seeing various journals. I hope this stuff isn't too bad of quality. I was thinking about trying a 5gal hempy with 50-75%Coco/25-50%Perlite with a perlite/lava rock layer at bottom for rez. I say your 2L hempy Twelve12 and I like the hydroton/coco. Is that the best method you've tried so far ? And do you also add a little hydroton and/or perlite to the coco because I've heard it compresses when running solo ?

Thanks a bunch, time to smoke a bowl

If you can open up the top of your tent try it and allow natural sunlight to shine for 12 hours during the day and have the 150w cfl turn on for 1 hr at night, between darkness. Would need something for the top to block out rain, like a hard clear transparent material. You can leave the tent open or have circulation going inside with intake/exhaust combo then you can have the tent closed. With this method you're only using 1hr of electricity per 24hrs for your veg plants, I might go with this idea if I can place some tents outdoor.

That was just an idea. Keep how it is now with the 150w + some CFL should be ok even with 82-87F. As long as you have good ventilation that's not a problem and you're mimicking nature, the outdoor. After placing in the CFL check for heat, should run cooler but too many can also gets hot. If they run about the same temp go with the hps has better light concentration and intensity, while CFL spreads the light and is softer (good for corners aiding HID use).

Been running the 2L Coco Coir Hempy for a little over a month now. It's doing good I had to chop a hermie the other day and saw the massive root structure, and it wasn't half way through bloom. Remember to flush once a week for coco the salt can cause deficiencies in plants. Some strains are more sensitive than others.

I found that it's a hassle to pick the hydratons after dumping out the 2L. Decided not to add hydration at the bottom just fill coco coir and leave 1-2 inch at the top for hydrotons. Helps prevent coco splashing out the bottle when watering, unless you have a drip system which you can eliminate the use of hydroton. Too much water the hydrotons will float out the bottle. So before the hydroton about to float stop watering that's the right amount of water the plants needs.

Run some water through coco before use, some company do not wash them to remove the salts before packaging.

If you can open up the top of your tent try it and allow natural sunlight to shine for 12 hours during the day and have the 150w cfl turn on for 1 hr at night, between darkness. Would need something for the top to block out rain, like a hard clear transparent material. You can leave the tent open or have circulation going inside with intake/exhaust combo then you can have the tent closed. With this method you're only using 1hr of electricity per 24hrs for your veg plants, I might go with this idea if I can place some tents outdoor.

That was just an idea. Keep how it is now with the 150w + some CFL should be ok even with 82-87F. As long as you have good ventilation that's not a problem and you're mimicking nature, the outdoor. After placing in the CFL check for heat, should run cooler but too many can also gets hot. If they run about the same temp go with the hps has better light concentration and intensity, while CFL spreads the light and is softer (good for corners aiding HID use).

Been running the 2L Coco Coir Hempy for a little over a month now. It's doing good I had to chop a hermie the other day and saw the massive root structure, and it wasn't half way through bloom. Remember to flush once a week for coco the salt can cause deficiencies in plants. Some strains are more sensitive than others.

I found that it's a hassle to pick the hydratons after dumping out the 2L. Decided not to add hydration at the bottom just fill coco coir and leave 1-2 inch at the top for hydrotons. Helps prevent coco splashing out the bottle when watering, unless you have a drip system which you can eliminate the use of hydroton. Too much water the hydrotons will float out the bottle. So before the hydroton about to float stop watering that's the right amount of water the plants needs.

Run some water through coco before use, some company do not wash them to remove the salts before packaging.

Thanks Twelve, unfortunately I can't unzip the top so I guess i'm just going to undo the front flaps every morning and close them up at night. It's not too big of a deal. I don't have to worry too much about rain, the tents in my DIY greenhouse and it has film over the top. I am a little worried about budrot though, it's been getting pretty foggy the last few nights and i've been kind of leery. I don't even think a little dehumidifier will do much in a 6x8 greenhouse, especially since it's not completely airtight ?

I thought it might be getting too hot in their since I've read that mj stops photosynthesizing at 85 ? I guess it's a good training though since it gets almost 100 sometimes in the greenhouse Lol I hope thats not stressing the girls in flower too much.

Twelve would you recommend a 2ft 4 bulb HO T5 over CFL's or my hps or would I be disappointed in the investment ? I don't know if T5's are any good or if they add much heat but I've heard that keep tight inter nodes and veg some nice bushes

You said you decided to ditch the layer of hydroton at the bottom. I haven't used coco before so i'm unsure of its characteristics but does it wick up water and retain moisture like rockwool so I'm looking at watering less often ? Or does the water flow through it easier and I'm going to need to water more often because on my bag it says 1-6 times daily

It has oyster shells in it, but I was going to add some extra perlite. Should I just leave the bottom reservoir plain coco, or would something like perlite,hydroton, or lava rocks be better ? I could put a mixture of perlite and lava rocks at the bottom or just leave plain coco

Thanks for all the help and tips

All these beauties and progress i've made couldn't be done without this site and it's members and for that i'm truly grateful
:Namaste:

I'll slide in a few bud shots off my friends phone in a few minutes

:peace:

wow you've really come a long way Stoned!!! the cola on that ptw is just crazy, never really seen one that big, i bet its gonna be crazy lookin when its dry, and awsome score on all the goodies!!! good job man!!! :thumb:

Thanks man I'm always trying to improve !
That nug was just amazing, I have half that plant curing in jars(1 Oz). and the other half was cut a few days later and is now hanging up to dry( Hopefully 1+ Oz)

Got about a half off the platinum OG (Kinda fluffy but still pretty resonated)

The vanilla kush just went into curing jars. I'm too lazy to weigh it right now but I'd say its 1/2- 1 Oz. It is suuuuper frosty and smells very lemony citrus

I was getting worried that you went M.I.A on us Suka to go smoke all your bud haha..

3 Oz is pretty damn good for some CFL's :welldone:

I bet with some bigger pots and LST or topping/Fimming you'd be able to get 3 Oz easy with 2 plants your next go around

Vanilla Kush before chop

2011-10-28_00_19_48.jpg
2011-10-28_00_29_31.jpg

Vanilla nugs after trim

2011-10-27_21_34_18.jpg
2011-10-27_21_33_27.jpg
2011-10-27_21_35_52.jpg
2011-10-27_22_45_36.jpg

PTW

1320214413928.jpg

True OG (Getting a little purple)

1320214429596.jpg
1320214437265.jpg

Thanks, yours will be there in no time. I can tell your a very attentive grower which can only benefit your girls ! I like having things organized and this grow was the last thing from organized. I have learned a lot though and will make the necessary changes to keep improving

I see your new journal has a nice new organized layout
:thumb:

I'm going to get a perpetual BPN journal set up sometime soon hopefully. I just need to get me setup dialed in a little better and Definitely get MORE organized.

Congrats on the harvest. Those are some nice frosty nugs! You got major greenthumb!

Budrot can happen. As long you got good ventilation going the plants should be ok. Dehumidifier will help for closed room but does not have to be too airtight. Some flow is good to get in fresh air for the plants.

I find that HPS with good ventilation help reduce the heat while having strong light penetration for plants. Cooltube will work with strong ventilation to pull out the heat, worth the investment. For CFL is good too require many for the same punch, and it's been a long time since I use them but they should run cooler. Never used HO T5 so don't have any thoughts on that. I used T12 and find it's too soft for flowering, ok for veg the bulb goes out often. Between the CFL and the HPS go with HO T5. Plants can grow under 90 just require more water, my veg tent gets that hot during the summer days and the plant still grow. Though the water bill is quite high.

It is a hassle to collect the hydroton after changing out the medium. When they are on the top it is easy to pour out, saves time and stops water channeling. The coco coir sitting at the bottom works better than hydroton for wicking and retaining water. Thought it wold run out with the run off but it does not. Once the roots gets a hold of it the roots is like a net holding it back. For mature plants changing out the container is easy the whole thing slides off from pulling the stock. Strong fiber roots mold itself and whatever at the bottom it will grab a hold off. Good for the plant bad for trying to reuse the hydroton. Go with plain coco at the bottom to keep it simple.

My plants gets dry on the 3-4th day. I feed them every other day. Depending on the size of your plants may require daily watering. Like soil use the lift method to see if plants needs more.

Thanks for sharing your grow with us!

Don't forget to head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too! :cheer:

I am reporting this to be moved to completed journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Hey S4D thanks for checking out my GH grow. Props to you for this wicked grow journal, i did a quick comb thru but i will have to go back and read the whole thing. I have some question but i should wait till i catch up...
+reps!!

Back
Top Bottom