Stunger Tries Trough Growing And Attempts Fluxing On His Organic Living Soil Balcony

Don't you already have enough pollen? Just thinking if it's going to be windy it might blow over to your crops and donthe dirty. .. if you mix the pollen with flour it will go even further and keep longer as well. All just thoughts. Looks nice and green and happy on the balcony.
Have an awesome day

Lots of nice sticky looking bud. :thumb: Those branches can get heavy and split at the Y, especially in the wind!

I wouldn't want to be a nearby neighbor. Just saying!

Don't you already have enough pollen? Just thinking if it's going to be windy it might blow over to your crops and donthe dirty. .. if you mix the pollen with flour it will go even further and keep longer as well. All just thoughts. Looks nice and green and happy on the balcony.
Have an awesome day
Thanks Lerugged! How long do you think, roughly speaking, would pollen remain viable for? I know from past experience that pollen I harvested didn't remain viable after a year in the fridge. But if fresh pollen can last 3-4 weeks then I will chop the plant as I have plenty of pollen already. I am currently just storing it at room temperature.
Lots of nice sticky looking bud. :thumb: Those branches can get heavy and split at the Y, especially in the wind!

I wouldn't want to be a nearby neighbor. Just saying!
Cheers Stinker! I guess I am to blame for the split. I think it probably occurred recently after I applied LST to each of the 6 stems to lower their profile. It obviously happened some days or so ago as the split is not fresh.

They're all progressing nicely and the early frost on the FBC is on the move! I'm with Lerugged on leaving the male sitting around back there to the detriment of your balcony plants, not to mention anyone around you who also might be stealthily growing (I'm sure my neighbors 2 doors down or across the street have no idea I grow, nor do I know if they do). :)

As Carmen mentioned, the top of my Queen G auto has been growing in a shot glass of water since Dec. 27th. I would think that your sprays will last in a vase indoors.

Dec. 27:

Now:

20240302_002301.jpg

They're all progressing nicely and the early frost on the FBC is on the move!
Thanks Shed! Yip, the FBC is already very sticky looking at this immature stage. I'm interested to see how she progresses.
I'm with Lerugged on leaving the male sitting around back there to the detriment of your balcony plants, not to mention anyone around you who also might be stealthily growing (I'm sure my neighbors 2 doors down or across the street have no idea I grow, nor do I know if they do). :)
Yes there is no need to keep it if fresh pollen can last for the next 2 or 3 weeks. That'll be plenty of time to make some selected crosses (2 of mine and several of a grow buddy).
As Carmen mentioned, the top of my Queen G auto has been growing in a shot glass of water since Dec. 27th. I would think that your sprays will last in a vase indoors.
That is such an amazing sight, well done!
It should be good for a couple of months, especially of you mix with flour and keep somewhere dark and cool. I don't use the fridge, just a cupboard that's cooler.
Cheers Lerugged! If my pollen is good for half that time, then that will be more than enough.

I thought flour was just for helping it go further. Does it also help it last longer too?

When I last daubed pistils with a pollen touched cotton bud, I found it eventually got sticky and pistils started getting torn off and stuck to it. Maybe by mixing the pollen with flour it would help the cotton bud remain powdery and not sticky to the pistils?

U were lucky with that stem split , she doesn't look effected by the injury , its healing over nicely , yes she needs support though watch out the zip tie will cut in after a time, i would use a bamboo over along the length of both stems like a bridge useing zip ties then once a week replace the ties in a ew Position along the stems , just a though , would be a pitty that she will suffer from the tie because she and her companions are looking just fantastic,
Peace and take care dude👍

I like to Supercrop my limbs before training them and I do that from the start when I'm forming my quadline. Doing that moves the stress point out a bit from the stem and can help prevent the splitting.

Then I’m really just bending them down rather than also pulling them out wide if that makes sense.

Just thinking if it's going to be windy it might blow over to your crops and donthe dirty
Yeah. This. I have a couple of big commercial greenhouse grows 200m away, not mates or anything but good neighbour.
Maybe by mixing the pollen with flour it would help the cotton bud remain powdery and not sticky to the pistils?
Hiya, stopped by for a bit of the breeding action but sorry I missed your annual balcony fest! I’ve been reading that flour and a make up brush, so a plant orgy make. I imagine one of those fat blusher type things are the way to go?

Nick

I imagine one of those fat blusher type things are the way to go?
That's what I used and it worked great. Got hundreds of seeds from just a few buds. I don't think I'll live long enough to plant them all unless the pharmaceutical companies discover cannabinoids are the true Fountain of Youth and let us live forever. That'd be cool....

U were lucky with that stem split , she doesn't look effected by the injury , its healing over nicely , yes she needs support though watch out the zip tie will cut in after a time, i would use a bamboo over along the length of both stems like a bridge useing zip ties then once a week replace the ties in a ew Position along the stems , just a though , would be a pitty that she will suffer from the tie because she and her companions are looking just fantastic,
Peace and take care dude👍
Thanks Uncle! Good point, after posting the above I had the same thought and added additional bracing to limit the amount of strain and flex on the stems. Hopefully she continues without further impact. 🤞
I like to Supercrop my limbs before training them and I do that from the start when I'm forming my quadline. Doing that moves the stress point out a bit from the stem and can help prevent the splitting.

Then I’m really just bending them down rather than also pulling them out wide if that makes sense.
Cheers Azi! Her stems grew out that way upon stretching. I decided against super cropping which is what I'd usually do just because I'd like to grow some straight 'bats'. Altho I think now that the gentle 'bending' I put the stems under in LST was sufficient to cause the split.
Hiya, stopped by for a bit of the breeding action but sorry I missed your annual balcony fest! I’ve been reading that flour and a make up brush, so a plant orgy make. I imagine one of those fat blusher type things are the way to go?

Nick
Thanks Nick! Yep one of those blusher things would work great, but the only one who uses such things in the house is our teenage daughter and she'll have a right tantrum if I use her's!

Update - The end of the line for the male!

Given that the pollen I have already harvested is both sufficient in quantity and most likely to keep it's viability for a few weeks, I cut a couple of the biggest sprays off and put them in a glass of water just for the hell of it.

I then chopped the male plant and gave him to the chooks who are like nosey little ferrets with anything new!

Have a great day folks!

Great looking crop, Stunger!
My only hesitation is not knowing how long it stays viable for.
5 or 6 years ago, I produced some seeds with 2 year old pollen- It was kept in my sock drawer in a little pill bottle with some silica gel crystals to keep the moisture away. The pollen was taken and used in 2017 initially, then again in 2019, and it worked both times.
It surprised me that it was still viable- I'd read that as long as you keep pollen 100% dry, it can last for years, but that sounded like bs to me....turns out, it's true.. 🤔

Great looking crop, Stunger!

5 or 6 years ago, I produced some seeds with 2 year old pollen- It was kept in my sock drawer in a little pill bottle with some silica gel crystals to keep the moisture away. The pollen was taken and used in 2017 initially, then again in 2019, and it worked both times.
It surprised me that it was still viable- I'd read that as long as you keep pollen 100% dry, it can last for years, but that sounded like bs to me....turns out, it's true.. 🤔
Thanks for sharing that Carcass! That's really interesting and encouraging!

I will probably mix mine with a bit of flour and keep with some silica sachets too, which I will heat some up gently in the oven for a minutes to get them good and dry.

Hey Stunger!

I'm sorry to be arriving so late. I should have checked the bus schedule before I left my house.

Your plants look great! Your journal reads great!

And what a great surprise in post #233! I've never seen anyone try to pollinate chickens before! 😁

Hey Stunger!

I'm sorry to be arriving so late. I should have checked the bus schedule before I left my house.

Your plants look great! Your journal reads great!

And what a great surprise in post #233! I've never seen anyone try to pollinate chickens before! 😁
No worries GDB, thanks for dropping by.
Funnily enough later when I checked, the chickens had demolished the plant and had eaten all its leaves. I don't know whether they 'felt' anything 'medicinal' in eating them or whether they're just greedy pigs, probably the later. Cheers.

One of our rabbits started chowing down on sugar leaf last night. Shortly after launched an escape bid down the dark 12” wide passage to the back of the house. Got half way and ran back jumped in the pen and joined his buddy for a cuddle.

We’ve all had it, that too fresh weed can sometime be a little anxiety inducing 🤣

Update - Trough pics

Greetings 420 enthusiasts!

We've had some rain, some sun, some wind. I added some more training wire support to the Mulanje Sherbert to help brace the 4 stems that branch off her recent stem split. She seems to be having no problem. Here are some trough pics taken today.

Thanks for dropping in, have a great day!
:ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom