Stunger Tries Trough Growing And Attempts Fluxing On His Organic Living Soil Balcony

I like the trough growing IMO its the way to go , ultra sustainable and inexpensive once you get it going Plus lots of real estate for the roots to stretch out in to find the resources they need . Another opinion of mine is i think the plants interact with each other to help get the resources they need when through their exudates✌️
Not saying any other way of growing is better than another i just prefer the bed/ trough angle of growing indoor or out
Thanks SOG! I am really taken with the trough/raised garden approach.

My plants now have 3X the soil of what they had collectively when grown in individual pots.

For feeding/top dressing. I have only given them a couple of tablespoons of Bloom fertiliser so far, of which I rather doubt they needed any as they're still looking happily well fed to me. And as you say, they should have enough root space to share exudates without being stressed, I think it is a win/win.

Also the capacity of the trough to hold moisture is great. When compared to my previous drilled out 'home made air pots', I now barely have to do any watering. It's been at least 2 weeks if not 3 since I last watered and they're still praying!
That grinder looks new. :thumb:
The buds look great as well, they look like they are fattening up.
Cheers Stinker! Yes the grinder has come up a treat, shiny like new again.

The centre plant has the best buds but the other 2 and starting to push them out too. Such a nice exciting time of the grow, a shame it'll be over in a few weeks!

Thanks HG!

I don't know exactly because I am always confused when one is supposed to start counting from. Some indoor folk count from the 'flip', others from when pistils show, but I am unsure if that means when the very first pistil is spotted somewhere on the stem, or when the first pompoms form at the top? When do you call the start of flowering?

I used to start flower when I flipped to 12/12 but with the recent plants, I've been doing it when I see pistils.

Also, now that you're on the tail end of your grow, could you please explain to me what fluxing is?

and I've had gained some learnings from this which gives me some pointers to work with next time.
The trough's "maiden voyage" worked out great this year, next year, even better!
I am grinding up bud to vape that my grinder is sticking,
Yipes! I thought my grinder was bad.... :oops:

What a difference a little cleaning makes, looks pristine again!👍
...I guess I should do mine pretty soon...:straightface:
Such a nice exciting time of the grow, a shame it'll be over in a few weeks!
This is my favorite time also- when you look at them every morning, and you can tell that the buds have gotten a little chunkier overnight..💚

The flavor will be impressive as well ✌️
Thanks SOG! I'm hoping so, no reason why not!
Also, now that you're on the tail end of your grow, could you please explain to me what fluxing is?
Cheers HG! Fluxing is a training style developing by @Light Addict. He has grown many outstanding plants of low profile laden with colas.

His Fluxing approach involves topping the plant above the 3rd node and pruning off nodes 1 and 2. The remaining node pair are then trained out horizontal to become the 'fluxing arms' with the ends of the arms always trained to be a little higher than rest, thereby the theory is that the plant directs the energy to the high points and feeds all the sub branches along the way.

He Fluxes his plants indoors so once he is happy with their training in veg he can flip them into flower.

But for me, as I grow outdoors, it becomes a little more complicated because nature decides when to flower and when to stretch. All 3 of my trough plants were fluxed in the beginning, and followed a fairly ideal Fluxing structure as seen in the 2 earlier pics below. However, the leftmost plant was later swapped out when it was found to be a male, so the current left most plant in the trough was never Fluxed.

However, I found 'Nature' wasn't interested in working to my schedule so after getting the base structure ok, they went and stretched and stretched and I ended up with both plants looking pretty random. So I need to state that I started off Fluxing but have failed to stay on a Fluxing schedule!

I think the schedule of training is much 'tighter' when done indoors. The ideal resulting shape is like a 'canoe' where the ends of the Fluxing arms finish a bit higher.

Here is a pic of one of Light Addict's beauties!
1710111242581.png

And here is one of Light Addict's plants that is not Fluxed, but I'll add this as it further shows off his amazing talent, this is his 'Death Star'.
1710110952683.png

Here is a link to a quick guide by Light Addict --> Light Addict's quick guide to Fluxing
The trough's "maiden voyage" worked out great this year, next year, even better!
Yipes! I thought my grinder was bad.... :oops:

What a difference a little cleaning makes, looks pristine again!👍
...I guess I should do mine pretty soon...:straightface:
This is my favorite time also- when you look at them every morning, and you can tell that the buds have gotten a little chunkier overnight..💚
Thanks Carcass! I am very pleased with how the trough has worked out this grow. It has made things a lot easier than individual pots and there is now a lot more soil available.

Yep my grinder is like new now. It took awhile but I eventually dragged my reluctant self off to clean it! :ganjamon:

Update - trough pics - an application of Neem&Bloom Fertiliser

Greetings 420 enthusiasts!

A wet day here with mostly drizzling rain, not much more than a surface wetting to the plants.

I gave the whole trough about 3/4 of a cup of Neem meal as a pest deterrent and 3/4 of a cup of Herbi's Bloom Fertiliser sprinkled over the mulch. And then a watering can of water, with worm wee and a dash of Humic/Fulvic acids, fish hydrolysate and Seasol kelp extract.

This was only the 13th watering can I've given them since December when they were first up potted.

Yesterday, I noticed that the Frozen Black Cherry was exhibiting signs of being droughted with some sagging fan leaves, and some dying worms on the stone paving around the trough. I was happy about that as I am convinced of the benefits of droughted weed.

Trough pics

Anyway that the scores on the doors today, thanks for dropping in!
:ganjamon:

Thanks SOG! I'm hoping so, no reason why not!

Cheers HG! Fluxing is a training style developing by @Light Addict. He has grown many outstanding plants of low profile laden with colas.

His Fluxing approach involves topping the plant above the 3rd node and pruning off nodes 1 and 2. The remaining node pair are then trained out horizontal to become the 'fluxing arms' with the ends of the arms always trained to be a little higher than rest, thereby the theory is that the plant directs the energy to the high points and feeds all the sub branches along the way.

He Fluxes his plants indoors so once he is happy with their training in veg he can flip them into flower.

But for me, as I grow outdoors, it becomes a little more complicated because nature decides when to flower and when to stretch. All 3 of my trough plants were fluxed in the beginning, and followed a fairly ideal Fluxing structure as seen in the 2 earlier pics below. However, the leftmost plant was later swapped out when it was found to be a male, so the current left most plant in the trough was never Fluxed.

However, I found 'Nature' wasn't interested in working to my schedule so after getting the base structure ok, they went and stretched and stretched and I ended up with both plants looking pretty random. So I need to state that I started off Fluxing but have failed to stay on a Fluxing schedule!

I think the schedule of training is much 'tighter' when done indoors. The ideal resulting shape is like a 'canoe' where the ends of the Fluxing arms finish a bit higher.

Here is a pic of one of Light Addict's beauties!
1710111242581.png

And here is one of Light Addict's plants that is not Fluxed, but I'll add this as it further shows off his amazing talent, this is his 'Death Star'.
1710110952683.png

Here is a link to a quick guide by Light Addict --> Light Addict's quick guide to Fluxing

Thanks Carcass! I am very pleased with how the trough has worked out this grow. It has made things a lot easier than individual pots and there is now a lot more soil available.

Yep my grinder is like new now. It took awhile but I eventually dragged my reluctant self off to clean it! :ganjamon:
Very kind of you to post a cpl of my old gals.
For outside fluxing, or just fluxing in general you're doing a proper good job for sure. Really nice fluxes. Bravo 😁

Looks like you've found a winner with that trough system. :thumb:
Thanks Azi! I think it is working well for me. With pots I could space them out but then I couldn't easily open the doors, and the extra soil volume of the trough means it can maintain good moisture levels and will be easier to amend over winter.
Very kind of you to post a cpl of my old gals.
Thanks LA! You have created so many stunningly trained wonderful plants that are buried back in old threads that I often feel it is a shame that newer folk don't get to see them. We need a tribute page of those beauties! :yummy:
For outside fluxing, or just fluxing in general you're doing a proper good job for sure. Really nice fluxes. Bravo 😁
To be honest, when I first started this thread I was determined to apply Fluxing as the training method, but having reading thru much of your Fluxing threads, it was clear to me that you apply a lot of very careful techniques and diligence to achieve your results. So I really hesitated to put 'fluxing' in my title because I was concerned it would all go to custard and be a poor imitation.

At this stage, I am pleased that the fluxing approach has kept my plants below the important stealth height level, and too, that the early pruning off of growth has allowed my plants to have good air flow and space between the stems. But, looks wise, I have certainly lost the appearance of well trained fluxed plants! Next grow I will attempt to improve based on the learnings of this grow. But thanks so much for your inspiring work!

Update - trough pics - an application of Neem&Bloom Fertiliser

Greetings 420 enthusiasts!

A wet day here with mostly drizzling rain, not much more than a surface wetting to the plants.

I gave the whole trough about 3/4 of a cup of Neem meal as a pest deterrent and 3/4 of a cup of Herbi's Bloom Fertiliser sprinkled over the mulch. And then a watering can of water, with worm wee and a dash of Humic/Fulvic acids, fish hydrolysate and Seasol kelp extract.

This was only the 13th watering can I've given them since December when they were first up potted.

Yesterday, I noticed that the Frozen Black Cherry was exhibiting signs of being droughted with some sagging fan leaves, and some dying worms on the stone paving around the trough. I was happy about that as I am convinced of the benefits of droughted weed.

Trough pics

Anyway that the scores on the doors today, thanks for dropping in!
:ganjamon:
Looking AWESOME my friend!

Looking AWESOME my friend!
Thanks SOG!
Although i disagree with the dry cycle 1 being outside they get plenty of good stress for oil production and terpine production and 2 drying out slows microbial activity for CEC exchange but its all good ,They are off the hook! ✌️
Yes there is that, altho in my trough with natural rainfall I would struggle to really drought them.

My first droughted plant was an accident, in a small ceramic pot, it would heat up, dry out, and wilt every sunny day (it wasn't a textbook 10 day drought but a full summer one). But wow, the buds came out like they were coated in varnish, a very strong punchy smoke. Considering it was bag seed and the weed from that bag was only average it convinced me that the droughting stress it went through in flowering created a superb resin sticky result.

But I take your point about the downside of slowing microbial activity when soil dries out. Sometimes I feel I care more about my buds. :rofl:

I like to use measuring equipment to give me some kind of matrix to track so i don't seem like im guessing all the time!
I like to be in the know but every grow is different and thats what makes it so interesting to me on top of many other things never a dull moment! Have a GREAT DAY ✌️

Thanks SOG! I am really taken with the trough/raised garden approach.

My plants now have 3X the soil of what they had collectively when grown in individual pots.

For feeding/top dressing. I have only given them a couple of tablespoons of Bloom fertiliser so far, of which I rather doubt they needed any as they're still looking happily well fed to me. And as you say, they should have enough root space to share exudates without being stressed, I think it is a win/win.

Also the capacity of the trough to hold moisture is great. When compared to my previous drilled out 'home made air pots', I now barely have to do any watering. It's been at least 2 weeks if not 3 since I last watered and they're still praying!

Cheers Stinker! Yes the grinder has come up a treat, shiny like new again.

The centre plant has the best buds but the other 2 and starting to push them out too. Such a nice exciting time of the grow, a shame it'll be over in a few weeks!
I think you got the whole trough growing thing down bro. Every time I drop by I’m always surprised by how much they’ve grown. Nice work. CL🍀

Well the idea is GOOD bud so mission accomplished 👍
I like to use measuring equipment to give me some kind of matrix to track so i don't seem like im guessing all the time!
I like to be in the know but every grow is different and thats what makes it so interesting to me on top of many other things never a dull moment! Have a GREAT DAY ✌️
Thanks SOG! We certainly need some way of measuring things to help steer us the way towards GOOD bud! All the best!
I think you got the whole trough growing thing down bro. Every time I drop by I’m always surprised by how much they’ve grown. Nice work. CL🍀
Cheers CL! That trough is packing a lot of good soil. I just wish I could grow 3 times the number.

They're happy campers! Nice cleanup on isle grind! That grinder is one I've been eyeing. Are you happy with it? They sell it as revolutionary.
It is seriously brilliant, no pun intended. Most grinders rotate around the rim and then the rim gets sticky and hard to turn, whereas this one rotates around the centre allowing a lot of leverage so it's easy to turn and cut thru the buds. Very smooth. They do an even bigger one now and I think a steel option too. It's all I need.

Back
Top Bottom