Sweet Yet Haunted Seedsman's Purple Ghost Candy Comparative

I see it in rapid rooters and artificial substrates. The tap can't push the substrate out of the way to rotate, so it pushes itself up and out trying to turn.

In soil, the soil just moves out of the way and the sprout rotates and pops up, if you got your planting depth correct. Too shallow and it may still rotate up and out.
I always try not to pat the soil down too much, I sometimes feel if the soils too compressed in the container it makes it a little more difficult for the tap root to tap. And if you can't go down...🧐

Did you happen to take any pictures of it, or was it one of those “oh crap gotta fix that” moments?
i'l have to go back & look in my journal but if my memory is correct the tail from a germinating seed was all weird (kinda wrapped around itself) & started growing back up towards the air i did dig it up & repositioned & was ok after that

Didn't GDB have one like that when he was having so much trouble? Maybe not, but I remember seeing a picture from someone here. Happy Smokin'

Didn't GDB have one like that when he was having so much trouble? Maybe not, but I remember seeing a picture from someone here. Happy Smokin'
Yeah, I had one where the root arose from the substrate instead of the plant! It's HERE.

I try and plant the seed as it would come up pointed end down, you know where the root comes out this takes away from extra energy to get it right under the soil , i have some 30 yo Afghani seed that i think are pure it was some of the best i have smoked back then ,, we had 88 plant so there were males and females . Only a few 30 or so left and i want to make more seed if I can get two to come up , i gave 2 people some and they don't seem to want to take the time ? ! But its all good . I will be scuffing the outside a bit because the ones i tried didn't sprout .

I see it in rapid rooters and artificial substrates. The tap can't push the substrate out of the way to rotate, so it pushes itself up and out trying to turn.

In soil, the soil just moves out of the way and the sprout rotates and pops up, if you got your planting depth correct. Too shallow and it may still rotate up and out.

That makes sense for a few reasons and was what I was alluding to. It’s life, so if it can’t go down, it doesn’t just give up. I would classify that as human error.

I always try not to pat the soil down too much, I sometimes feel if the soils too compressed in the container it makes it a little more difficult for the tap root to tap. And if you can't go down...🧐

I don’t even tamp my flower containers down let alone tamp a seed container. If you’re growing organic, the amount of decomposition that happens during the grow can give you compaction issues. The lighter the soil is, the easier roots cut through, that’s why they love a sandy soil. Your thinking is spot on!

i'l have to go back & look in my journal but if my memory is correct the tail from a germinating seed was all weird (kinda wrapped around itself) & started growing back up towards the air i did dig it up & repositioned & was ok after that

I had a similar situation in solo cups. I planted too shallow and the tap root went out, wrapped around, and stuck itself right back into the seed. I have a feeling what happened was, I planted too shallow then watered too heavy so when the tap root came out it was exposed to light and tried to hide itself. I didn’t catch it in time.

I had one grow a root upwards, dug it out and replanted it and it is fine now, same as @con

Do you remember the container/medium you had this happen in?

Same here. Just poke her down a bit more, sprinkle a little dirt on top. Roots don't want all that light

Same question as RG, do you remember what container and medium this happened in?

Yeah, I had one where the root arose from the substrate instead of the plant! It's HERE.

Yep, I see this was also plugs that this happened in. I’m wondering if it’s the plugs themselves or the grower. Do you remember if that one was planted any differently?

That makes sense for a few reasons and was what I was alluding to. It’s life, so if it can’t go down, it doesn’t just give up. I would classify that as human error.

I don’t even tamp my flower containers down let alone tamp a seed container. If you’re growing organic, the amount of decomposition that happens during the grow can give you compaction issues. The lighter the soil is, the easier roots cut through, that’s why they love a sandy soil. Your thinking is spot on!

I had a similar situation in solo cups. I planted too shallow and the tap root went out, wrapped around, and stuck itself right back into the seed. I have a feeling what happened was, I planted too shallow then watered too heavy so when the tap root came out it was exposed to light and tried to hide itself. I didn’t catch it in time.

Do you remember the container/medium you had this happen in?

Same question as RG, do you remember what container and medium this happened in?

Yep, I see this was also plugs that this happened in. I’m wondering if it’s the plugs themselves or the grower. Do you remember if that one was planted any differently?
Soil, solo cup.

Yep, I see this was also plugs that this happened in. I’m wondering if it’s the plugs themselves or the grower.
LMAO!

I'll say it was the grower, Keffka. That way you don't have to! 😁

Solo back in January.

Screenshot_20240408_141021_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240408_141013_Photos.jpg

LMAO!

I'll say it was the grower, Keffka. That way you don't have to! 😁

I would feel a little guilty if you didn’t grow gorgeous plants. However, since you do, I’m confident in your confidence that it was user error 😂

The plugs seem to have a smaller margin for error, which makes sense, they’re small. This is very useful information though. I googled quite a few different variations of root breach and came up with almost nothing.

Solo back in January.

Screenshot_20240408_141021_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240408_141013_Photos.jpg

lol holy cats.. Do you have a journal for this plant? It reminds me of a pigs tail. It obviously loops down but then shoots around back up, which is really wild because it had to go down to pull its head up but then decided to come back up lol. Did you have this plant domed or set on something that moves?

lol holy cats.. Do you have a journal for this plant? It reminds me of a pigs tail. It obviously loops down but then shoots around back up, which is really wild because it had to go down to pull its head up but then decided to come back up lol. Did you have this plant domed or set on something that moves?

Just part of the wild og garden. Plant should be heading to flower in a few weeks when I have space. I see a bunch of weird shit, just try to get pictures for reference. I don't normally dome unless it's super dry. Not very often. Would have been sitting in a solo, on a foldable TV tray, in a 4x4.

Keffka, since you seem interested in these types of anomalies, take a look at this Smoke Report I did awhile back and let me know what you think! :)

Yes, tissue until split then straight coco
Admittedly I just dropped the seed in willy-nilly, but I always do and seeds usually work it out

Yep, there’s a whole complex molecular process behind plants sensing gravity which is why Willy nilly works. It makes sense, in nature, seeds don’t fall to the ground in any specific position, but still sprout. Heck, some times they get planted miles away after being pooped out of the sky.

Was this just a one off or have you had it happen a few times?

Just part of the wild og garden. Plant should be heading to flower in a few weeks when I have space. I see a bunch of weird shit, just try to get pictures for reference. I don't normally dome unless it's super dry. Not very often. Would have been sitting in a solo, on a foldable TV tray, in a 4x4.

That’s right, you do lots of wild stuff so it could’ve been anything. I’ll take a look through your journal

If the water is pure, and you insist on soaking, then paper towelling, then planting, only use a small amount of water for the soak, like a tablespoon max, then use that water to soak a small bit of paper towel, like dime sized, put your seed in that paper towel, and when it pops plant it all with the towel bit around the tap root.

Take the Mothers Milk with you.
I don't do the paper towel but I do use distilled water for the soak and use some of it to water the sprouts. But I do tend to soak in more water than that because more water = higher thermal mass, which keeps the seed from overheating as the water evaporates on the heat mat.
i gave 2 people some and they don't seem to want to take the time ?
If you're talking about me, I thought you wanted me grow them out and make S1 seeds from one, not just test germinate! I can test germinate now but I'd have to cull it after it sprouts, which seems risky in case it's the only one that makes it. Otherwise it needs to fit into everything else I'm doing. Seems like after 30 years another year wouldn't be a big deal. :)

Back
Top Bottom