The Living Medicine Cabinet

Oh CC, just leave the light on, with all due respect. :love: It wont effect their photoperiods until at least 6 weeks old I read over at Lester's (I think). I know from experience it doesn't hurt seedlings, and they may well need that little extra push. :passitleft:

im actually keeping my seedlings under 20/4 they seem to be doing fine

24/0 is kind if pushing in though. Non stop light doesn't seem like what a plant is designed to do. I see the issue like this: A plant that has existed for several thousands of years doesn't just adapt to being forced into something it hasnt ever done. Now, if you are growing strains that originate in regions in which there is an incredible amount of sunlight through out the year, then I suppose it would make sense. Some sativas could probably hardly tell the difference.

All that said, dark periods are there to allow the roots of the plant to expand ( this is debated by some), for the plant to rest and consume the glucose it created when the lights were on. Sure plants will grow at 24/0, but I wonder if something is sacrificed.

Maybe not? Its not too greatly understood by modern science either. That's why alot of this is just speculation i suppose.

Oh CC, just leave the light on, with all due respect. :love: It wont effect their photoperiods until at least 6 weeks old I read over at Lester's (I think). I know from experience it doesn't hurt seedlings, and they may well need that little extra push. :passitleft:

I'm not staunchly against it or anything. I'm just curious, I guess. I see the value in flowering straight from seed which probably isnt any better or worse to be honest.

Well CC, for the sake of intelligent argument, - if we're gonna be worried over an environmental issue like that, growing inside is hardly a good option at all for plants. Total darkness at night isn't likely either in most places cannabis grows, there's still moonlight... Wind probably plays a role in stem development and girth and leaf transpiration and keeping buds aerated so mold won't grow, and we can only make artificial wind... Our lights can only ever replicate the Sun..cannabis in the wild would be watered by rain, and grow in all kinds of different soil situations. Who knows what things our indoor/potted/homegrown plants are missing out on? :scratchinghead:

I'm pretty sure light, 24hrs or no, will be helpful for you to germinate those beans whether its natural or not. I think us naturalist organic growers too often tread that fine line between caution and superstition haha. Just saying. Myself very much included. :passitleft: But I'm starting to worry less over chlorines/chloramines in tapwater at least haha.

Well CC, for the sake of intelligent argument, - if we're gonna be worried over an environmental issue like that, growing inside is hardly a good option at all for plants. Total darkness at night isn't likely either in most places cannabis grows, there's still moonlight... Wind probably plays a role in stem development and girth and leaf transpiration and keeping buds aerated so mold won't grow, and we can only make artificial wind... Our lights can only ever replicate the Sun..cannabis in the wild would be watered by rain, and grow in all kinds of different soil situations. Who knows what things our indoor/potted/homegrown plants are missing out on? :scratchinghead:

I'm pretty sure light, 24hrs or no, will be helpful for you to germinate those beans whether its natural or not. I think us naturalist organic growers too often tread that fine line between caution and superstition haha. Just saying. Myself very much included. :passitleft: But I'm starting to worry less over chlorines/chloramines in tapwater at least haha.

I heartily agree with you. We are barely doing a passable job in replicating the natural world. That said, I still think a dark period is something worth replicating. At least for my bank accounts sake, running lights non stop will remain questionable to me.

For me it is, as you said, a thing of caution. I don't have an incredibly strong opinion of it either way, but I am still hesitant to employ something for any old reason. I have seen that it works. I know it would be silly to argue that it is somehow tremendously harmful, because it isn't. Honestly, I have considered it in my cab because it should in theory allow me to shorten veg time. I'll get around to trying it out at some point, but until then I will remain a hair on the reserved side.

And none of this changes that I still need an adapter for flowering! :)

Ok hahaha much love CC. Just worried for those seedlings, I've been having sprouting issues myself lately you probably noticed. I've not been doing 24 hrs of light either lately, like Pacific I'm doing 20/4 for my germinating seeds. I've had good success sprouting under 24 hrs light though. :Namaste:

Ok hahaha much love CC. Just worried for those seedlings, I've been having sprouting issues myself lately you probably noticed. I've not been doing 24 hrs of light either lately, like Pacific I'm doing 20/4 for my germinating seeds. I've had good success sprouting under 24 hrs light though. :Namaste:

I have used the 20/4 schedule in the past but I am currently using 24 hours of light, mainly for convenience. I honestly can't tell any difference.

You really want a new timer and I would get a GFCI outlet too.

Alright, you all are making a good argument for it. Here they are in the empty Rubbermaid I'll be growing in. I'll transfer the soil over before they are ready to transplant. I do probably need to get a new timer...do you guys recommend any in particular?

WP_20150708_06_52_51_Pro.jpg

dude i just use a regular timer nothing special...i use this one Amazon: Titan Controls 734110 Apollo 6 24-Hour Timer with 15 Minute Intervals, 120-volt

That's a good one, I use one of them in my VEG room running 20/4. Seedlings I do 24/0 under CFLs no need for high output lights for seedlings IMHO, harden off the seedlings before going into VEG. I treat my canna seedlings same as my outdoor plants/veggie seedlings.

For timers, get a mechanical one, I've not had good luck with the digital versions (2 blown out).

I transplant seedlings into final pot right from the beginning = larger plants & more nodes too.

Indeed, mechanical is the way to go as they can handle the load better than digital.

Went to bed last night and the girls were just poking there heads outs. Just checked them out and they had popped completely out of the soil. The joys of 24/0 lighting?

WP_20150709_07_03_33_Pro.jpg

WP_20150709_07_04_31_Pro.jpg

I found a hefty light leak yesterday, so at least with non stop light I dont have to worry about screwing up my plants. It gives me some time to fix it.

Unless the light is something more than passive I doubt it would have a negative impact. I have never grown indoors but grew a good bit out doors and the full moon is rather bright down here.

Back
Top Bottom