Unforgiven's - Picture-A-Day - Barney's Critical Kush - DWC

day 31 as we go here.....she is growing, lol. i see a couple roots coming through now. nothing awesome yet. added 1 liter of water to the res tonight, just to bring it up a hair closer to the net.

the stats: T: 74.8...RH: 49....PH: 6.1....REST: 16.8....PPM: 933

any thoughts on the climbing ppms? she's doing good, so i won't worry but just some thought if you have em. mayhaps them new additives i'm using now eh? s'posed to be beneficial bacteria or whatever, so i guess they multiply? think i read that on mfg website.

anyhoo here's the pic of the day....
20160811_180619.jpg

have fun eh

hey thanks birdie and murrican....

yep its a pic a day, so i'm keeping the updates short n sweet but daily. sure makes it look slooooooow eh?

Looking good. I dident put mine in the bucket, till it was your current state. I wanted the roots to come out the bottom of the rapid rooter.. My PPM stays pretty consistent all the time as well as the Ph. Once I get the pH where I want it 5.8-6.2 it won't change unless I have to add water. When mine was young. It would be set it and forget it for the 10 days of the same water.. I'm no expert but when I put mine in DWC. My ppm was 450. Mine is kind of big and the nutes are 950

day 31 as we go here.....she is growing, lol. i see a couple roots coming through now. nothing awesome yet. added 1 liter of water to the res tonight, just to bring it up a hair closer to the net.

the stats: T: 74.8...RH: 49....PH: 6.1....REST: 16.8....PPM: 933

any thoughts on the climbing ppms? she's doing good, so i won't worry but just some thought if you have em. mayhaps them new additives i'm using now eh? s'posed to be beneficial bacteria or whatever, so i guess they multiply? think i read that on mfg website.

anyhoo here's the pic of the day....
20160811_180619.jpg

have fun eh

Looking good Unforgiven . In regards to you ppm increasing . I water level drops and ppms rise ..she is looking for h20 and not looking for food during that time . You could run a lower ppm to see even the intake of water - nutes levels out . 900's is pretty high to me for a seedling stage but everyone has there own opinions on that . Test the ppm of your water before you add nutes and then after you have add nutes. If I remember you are using well water with a high ph , so it is probably also full of minerals and such . I use purified water and ppm before adding anything is 17 , after I add my cal mag its around 200 , and after I add my nutes depending on my mix its around a 1000 ..so when you remove the cal/mag base of 200 ...I'm running around 800 here in the second week of flower .

Hope it helps and makes sense .

holy smokes where do i start?

thanks to everyone for dropping in and sharing advice.

no advice is bad, as long as the receiver uses it properly for his or her own situation.

yeah turbo, that's one of the reasons i say i kinda fooked up on it, is putting her into the bucket too soon. definately learned from that one. also, i'm not a big fan of rockwool, so i really didn't want her to take hold in that too much cuz i wanted it out. she is bare in them there stones, lol. i plan on getting some rapid rooters for any future dwc projects. so far i'm loving it. kinda knew my nutes were high, but pulled the trigger and went with it, you know what i mean? i likely should've stayed at 1/2 of week 1 nutes plus the plantacillin and propogator. which i have found drops the ph pretty rapid. so i don't adjust my ph til after all nutes are in. cuz we're talkin 5.0 with ph'd water @ 5.8. didn't like that drop at all.

hey no pain, thanks to you too, some of what you mentioned, i covered above with turbo. but not all.

so i am on town water not well. but it does run @ PH 7.5-7.9 PPM'S run 155-165. those are straight outta the tap. as said above if i ph- first, my new stuff drops the ph too low. so now, i nute up, then ph it all together. although, i guess i could go .8 high, say 6.8 ph before nutes, then check again and ph- if needed.

this is exactly what happened today but in reverse..."I water level drops and ppms rise ..she is looking for h20 and not looking for food during that time" i said i topped up a liter yesterday....well one good root dropped about 3 inches, and my ppms dropped too. so that makes perfect sense to me. awesome to think about it that way. love it. i was trying to get the roots to reach for the water, and i guess they just weren't, so the ppms rose up. now, i added that bit of water, my roots went down and so did the ppms.

as to the high level of nutes....idunno. yep that's my answer. first ever dwc, so i guess i'm doin it my way lol. may not be the right way, but i'm watching her closely for ugliness. guess i'll have to do so even more now she's in the water eh. and yeah i was thinking around 550 would be good, so that was about what the last bucket ran i think. then for some reason when i changed the bucket i said f//ket and upped it to the next level of grow nutes. well right now i'm changing on a 7 day schedule, so mebbe i'll just drop it a twitch on tuesday, unless she screams at me before then.

sara, birdie and murrican, glad to have ya'll along for the support. we all need that sometimes....well that and a good swift kick in the butt too lol.

update coming right away.....was a long day, had to go to the big city.

have fun eh

and we're offf!! day 32 and she has decided to put down roots and stretch a lil bit too. was a nice surprise when i opened the tent to see her lookin a lil bit perky!!!

and then.....changing the bottle out....yippeeeeee we have one root bout 3" long, and a few others chasing it. very happy papa indeed.

learned some of the why after the fact, on logging in here and reading my own thread, lol. thanks no pain and turbostang!!!

the stats: T: 70.3...RH: 43....PH: 6.2....REST: 18.9....PPM: 906

and the pic....she now has a lil more profile to show off, so here she is for the first time showing off her curves a bit.
20160812_232744.jpg

woo-woooo-woooooo

have fun eh

holy smokes where do i start?

thanks to everyone for dropping in and sharing advice.

no advice is bad, as long as the receiver uses it properly for his or her own situation.

yeah turbo, that's one of the reasons i say i kinda fooked up on it, is putting her into the bucket too soon. definately learned from that one. also, i'm not a big fan of rockwool, so i really didn't want her to take hold in that too much cuz i wanted it out. she is bare in them there stones, lol. i plan on getting some rapid rooters for any future dwc projects. so far i'm loving it. kinda knew my nutes were high, but pulled the trigger and went with it, you know what i mean? i likely should've stayed at 1/2 of week 1 nutes plus the plantacillin and propogator. which i have found drops the ph pretty rapid. so i don't adjust my ph til after all nutes are in. cuz we're talkin 5.0 with ph'd water @ 5.8. didn't like that drop at all.

hey no pain, thanks to you too, some of what you mentioned, i covered above with turbo. but not all.

so i am on town water not well. but it does run @ PH 7.5-7.9 PPM'S run 155-165. those are straight outta the tap. as said above if i ph- first, my new stuff drops the ph too low. so now, i nute up, then ph it all together. although, i guess i could go .8 high, say 6.8 ph before nutes, then check again and ph- if needed.

this is exactly what happened today but in reverse..."I water level drops and ppms rise ..she is looking for h20 and not looking for food during that time" i said i topped up a liter yesterday....well one good root dropped about 3 inches, and my ppms dropped too. so that makes perfect sense to me. awesome to think about it that way. love it. i was trying to get the roots to reach for the water, and i guess they just weren't, so the ppms rose up. now, i added that bit of water, my roots went down and so did the ppms.

as to the high level of nutes....idunno. yep that's my answer. first ever dwc, so i guess i'm doin it my way lol. may not be the right way, but i'm watching her closely for ugliness. guess i'll have to do so even more now she's in the water eh. and yeah i was thinking around 550 would be good, so that was about what the last bucket ran i think. then for some reason when i changed the bucket i said f//ket and upped it to the next level of grow nutes. well right now i'm changing on a 7 day schedule, so mebbe i'll just drop it a twitch on tuesday, unless she screams at me before then.

sara, birdie and murrican, glad to have ya'll along for the support. we all need that sometimes....well that and a good swift kick in the butt too lol.

update coming right away.....was a long day, had to go to the big city.

have fun eh

No problem Unforgiven . That's why we are all here , to watch ,give advice and learn . Everyone has their own way of doing things and it's usually somthing that has evolved from advice , things that we read and things that we have tried . I wish their would have been a forum like this when I started back in 95 . Things are more open now a days back then it was more cloak and dagger style . Lol

So on to your water that's town water doesn't look bad at all with those ppm's . You may want to fill a bucket and let it sit out a day or two to let chlorine evaporate as a lot of town fed water has it. In regards to adjusting ph before nutes I don't recommend it . Ph is always the last thing adjusted . There is generally an order to how you add stuff to makes your solution , I follow the manufactures recommendations .
I.e I add my cal/mag first then my micro , then my flora ( pk) , then my grow (n) and add my hydroguard last mixing the solution after every step . After that's said and done I check my ph . You will find that when it comes to ppm's sometimes less is more and it's plant specific . Also let's say you decide to go with a lower ppm level say 600 , you will find that the ph of your solution doesn't drop as much when you mix that batch compared to 900 ppm . Good nutes are designed to lower ph as you have seen the more nutes you add to a given amount of water the lower it will drop ph . Another important thing I need to mention about the order and why you should follow manufactures recommendation is with some series of nutes if they aren't added in the correct order it will create nutrient lockout and you may read 900ppm at 5.8-6.1 ph but everything is not truley available to your babies .

My best advice in regards to what ppm you should run is well leaning towards dialing in to what your plant likes and helps in the long run if you are going to continue growing that strain or better yet clones from that plant . Every hydro system is a little different in nute delivery. Since you are very good at changing the res out frequently in your dwc I would start out at about half of the manufactures recommendations and watch how your girl responds in regards to growth and how she up takes the solution meaning ppms go up , ppm go down or it stays pretty constant with h20 uptake . Essentially you look for that strains sweetspot :).

I'm with you on the rapid rooters . I used to use rock wool starter cubes and have since switched to rapid rooters and love it . I don't know why I never commented or asked before about why you felt that you put her in the bucket to soon . But let's look at it like this you are now going "what?". Yes you can the one thing you need to do is make sure the water/nute level is just barley touching the bottom of the net cup. I also just read that you pulled her out of the rock wool and set her in the cup bare . One thing you may have not thought about that could have slowed her down a little was transplant shock .

I'll stop my short novel here . Lol hope it helps.

Edited - almost forgot a very very important thing as I make no assumptions . Always clean whatever you are measuring your nutes out with after each nute as if you don't you can create lockout this way also . I keep a clean cup of water and paper towels next to me when I'm mixing to do this .

No problem Unforgiven. I remember when I first started with hydro 20 years ago . Well we can all use a useful eye outside the box ;) . She still looking good . But yeah when you get a chance pick up some ph down for sure and get her stable . What's the ph of your water before you add your nutes and are they liquid or crystal ?

I'm still getting caught up on this journal, but No Pain is 420% correct! :welldone:
The vinegar and lemon juice are fine for the soil grow, but you need some real PH down for your hydro. The PH down has buffers that the vinegar and lemon juice do NOT have and will prevent the PH swings you're seeing.

Sorry if this turns out to be repetitive, but just couldn't wait to chime in!

Looking good Unforgiven . In regards to you ppm increasing . I water level drops and ppms rise ..she is looking for h20 and not looking for food during that time . You could run a lower ppm to see even the intake of water - nutes levels out . 900's is pretty high to me for a seedling stage but everyone has there own opinions on that . Test the ppm of your water before you add nutes and then after you have add nutes. If I remember you are using well water with a high ph , so it is probably also full of minerals and such . I use purified water and ppm before adding anything is 17 , after I add my cal mag its around 200 , and after I add my nutes depending on my mix its around a 1000 ..so when you remove the cal/mag base of 200 ...I'm running around 800 here in the second week of flower .

Hope it helps and makes sense .

Actually, in hydro, climbing PPM's is a sign that she's drinking more than she's eating and falling PPM's mean she's eating more than she's drinking. If PPM's are falling, you can up the PPM's for the next feeding. If raising, no need to up PPM's since she's not yet up-taking all the food you're giving her.

No problem Unforgiven . That's why we are all here , to watch ,give advice and learn . Everyone has their own way of doing things and it's usually somthing that has evolved from advice , things that we read and things that we have tried . I wish their would have been a forum like this when I started back in 95 . Things are more open now a days back then it was more cloak and dagger style . Lol

So on to your water that's town water doesn't look bad at all with those ppm's . You may want to fill a bucket and let it sit out a day or two to let chlorine evaporate as a lot of town fed water has it. In regards to adjusting ph before nutes I don't recommend it . Ph is always the last thing adjusted . There is generally an order to how you add stuff to makes your solution , I follow the manufactures recommendations .
I.e I add my cal/mag first then my micro , then my flora ( pk) , then my grow (n) and add my hydroguard last mixing the solution after every step . After that's said and done I check my ph . You will find that when it comes to ppm's sometimes less is more and it's plant specific . Also let's say you decide to go with a lower ppm level say 600 , you will find that the ph of your solution doesn't drop as much when you mix that batch compared to 900 ppm . Good nutes are designed to lower ph as you have seen the more nutes you add to a given amount of water the lower it will drop ph . Another important thing I need to mention about the order and why you should follow manufactures recommendation is with some series of nutes if they aren't added in the correct order it will create nutrient lockout and you may read 900ppm at 5.8-6.1 ph but everything is not truley available to your babies .

My best advice in regards to what ppm you should run is well leaning towards dialing in to what your plant likes and helps in the long run if you are going to continue growing that strain or better yet clones from that plant . Every hydro system is a little different in nute delivery. Since you are very good at changing the res out frequently in your dwc I would start out at about half of the manufactures recommendations and watch how your girl responds in regards to growth and how she up takes the solution meaning ppms go up , ppm go down or it stays pretty constant with h20 uptake . Essentially you look for that strains sweetspot :).

I'm with you on the rapid rooters . I used to use rock wool starter cubes and have since switched to rapid rooters and love it . I don't know why I never commented or asked before about why you felt that you put her in the bucket to soon . But let's look at it like this you are now going "what?". Yes you can the one thing you need to do is make sure the water/nute level is just barley touching the bottom of the net cup. I also just read that you pulled her out of the rock wool and set her in the cup bare . One thing you may have not thought about that could have slowed her down a little was transplant shock .

I'll stop my short novel here . Lol hope it helps.

Edited - almost forgot a very very important thing as I make no assumptions . Always clean whatever you are measuring your nutes out with after each nute as if you don't you can create lockout this way also . I keep a clean cup of water and paper towels next to me when I'm mixing to do this .

This is all good info! The only thing I'd point out is that not all nutes will lower PH. Silica, for example, will raise the PH. But, either way, you should always mix all of your nutes and then adjust PH LAST!

+REPS for this post! :goodjob:

I also recommend following the nute manufacturer's dosage recommendations to start, and then adjust by reading the plants.

Don't try to "force-feed" more nutes than she wants and if you start seeing some burning tips, back off the PPM's.
:Namaste:

well i can see this is gonna take awhile to type lol....

ok firstly hey birdie thanks for popping in!!!

now i'll make it simple and thank both no pain and mr krip now for all the advice. if i mix up who said what, it aint on purpose, you guys didn't make a response easy lol.

1: de-chlorinating. i didn't think of how easy it would be for me to set out a bucket of water for a couple days, thought it would be a pain in the butt. however, i do my res change the same time every week, within a day or two, mon or tues. so that's easy actually, no preplanning involved at all, just fillerup on saturday.

2: nute order. yep, i always put the nutes in the right order per mfg suggestion. however, good point on rinsing the measure out, something i haven't been doing in between each nute. i know about nute lockout, but hadn't considered it for the measure, dunno why, lol. definately giving it a stir after each one though, + the airstone churning.

3: PH after nutes. well up to this point that is what i have done, this week i've been pondering ph some before and finish after, but "as said above if i ph- first, my new stuff drops the ph too low. so now, i nute up, then ph it all together." is what i said yesterday, along with the thought of splitting the ph timing, some before some after, but alas, good advice, don't do that, lol.

4: ppms falling + ppm levels. yep, i understand both of your points on that. and yes, happy to report day 2 of roots in water, the nutes have dropped again, so she is using em. i won't raise em on next res change, cuz she is still teeny meeny. but i will watch and see how she does through the week obviously lol, and if she needs an adjust, i will do so, even if it means an impromptu res change, idc if i need to do that.

5: too soon in the bucket + wool vs rooters. yep, she was def in the bucket too soon, to be honest though, i thought i had that covered with the drip ring constantly pumping from the res to the top feed ring. like i said, i took the wool off cuz i distrust it period. and she was throwing roots, but the hydroton, created a barrier for her to lay the roots up on, with no fear of running out of water, cuz she was getting it constant from above, so the roots didn't go searching for the water source. it was almost like a spiders web of roots sitting on hydroton near the bottom of the pot, with none reaching through it. so that got fixed. then i had the water touching the bottom of the net too long, or maybe a hair to high? so, again, the roots weren't hungry. read something in someone's journal (might have even been here as advice lol) and something clicked in the brain....roots need to search, same as soil, if the outer ring of the pot is dry all the time, there's no reason for the roots to go there. least that's how my brain processed it once it clicked. rapid rooters will definately be coming as soon as i can get em. they just look like a better option for me.

6: ph - and nute strength. yep, i have ph- now, so vinegar is done with, never did lemons. i started her on 1/2 strength mfg nutes wk 1 veg. first res change she got full week 1 veg. second res change(last week)she got week 2 full nutes. now, a lil bit more on this, my nute line mfg has come out with new schedules, called basic and extreme. i think i will run through veg 3 basic for 2 weeks, then up it to extreme week 3 veg on the third week, we'll see what the res ppms look like when i mix it up. if its way too wonky i won't use it. but, i got some balls.so i'm willing to try as long as she has come up quite a bit by then. that and i'm willing to mix it half strength by mixing a second bucket of water if i need to.

so, that's my reply.

again, many thanks to both of you, it is very appreciated that you took the time to #1 give a rat's ass, and #2 type out the great advice.

update coming in a couple minutes, gotta change floors, lol.

have fun eh

day 33 has come n gone just about....
all's well that ends well eh. lil girl is doing just fine. although bizarrely it only occurred to me in a rather excited conversation with the wife this evening that i can take clones off of her when time comes....thank god, being a single seed and all. and thanks to mr.krip, i have a new love interest......yep that's right, bonsai mums. that there is just slicker n' owl sheeit. however, my initial purpose, and why it was an excited convo with the wife will be only disclosed in my other journal.....dum dum duuummmmm......

ok so, the stats: T: 71.6...RH: 45....PH: 6.2....REST: 62.1....PPM: 847.

so, as i said, the ppms dropped again, ph stayed the course, oh and you will notice i finally figgered out how to change the temp to f. that helps, cuz altho i am a canuck who uses c for outside temps, my understanding for growing these goodies is measured in f.

oh, and i also upped my ac unit to 75 from 70 in hopes of bringing the tent temp up a bit.

enough bloody dribble you say eh?
on with the pic you say eh?

ok fine, don't get yer knickers in a bunch dagnabbit!!!
20160813_212654.jpg

and there she is, happy as a monkey eating a banana!!!

have fun eh

Back
Top Bottom