V4L's Canuk Seeds Comparative Grow: Cherry Pie Fems, LOS, 2023

Good Morning fellow Growmies! Last night I pureed more alfalfa sprouts. I added the puree to 4 gallons of RO water and added 1 teaspoon of Rootwise microbes, BAS BuildAbloom 1 teaspoon per gallon, Agsil 16H 1/2 teaspoon per gallon, Big 6 Micronutrients 1/4 teaspoon per gallon, coconut water powder 1 Teaspoon per gallon, SNS-209 1/2 tablespoon per gallon. I gave each pot approximately 1 gallon. I have noticed a couple of more fungus gnats showing up to the party, I am going to do another top dress and use more mustard seed powder and see if that will help. Everything seems to be going smoothly kind of like watching weeds grow… I’ll post some pictures below. On the right side of the Scrog you can see some taller tops, those are a Northern lights fem and a Critical Kush fem that are not part of the Canuk seeds comparative grow.
IMG_3792.jpeg
IMG_3796.jpeg
IMG_3797.jpeg
IMG_3798.jpeg
IMG_3799.jpeg

Good Morning fellow Growmies! Last night I pureed more alfalfa sprouts. I added the puree to 4 gallons of RO water and added 1 teaspoon of Rootwise microbes, BAS BuildAbloom 1 teaspoon per gallon, Agsil 16H 1/2 teaspoon per gallon, Big 6 Micronutrients 1/4 teaspoon per gallon, coconut water powder 1 Teaspoon per gallon, SNS-209 1/2 tablespoon per gallon. I gave each pot approximately 1 gallon. I have noticed a couple of more fungus gnats showing up to the party, I am going to do another top dress and use more mustard seed powder and see if that will help. Everything seems to be going smoothly kind of like watching weeds grow… I’ll post some pictures below. On the right side of the Scrog you can see some taller tops, those are a Northern lights fem and a Critical Kush fem that are not part of the Canuk seeds comparative grow.
IMG_3792.jpeg
IMG_3796.jpeg
IMG_3797.jpeg
IMG_3798.jpeg
IMG_3799.jpeg
Simply beautiful, nice work.

How far along are they now? Looking beautiful! Can you give more insight on the mustard seed, I'm always looking for organic pest control ideas
Good morning @2Water ! I put seeds to germinate on Sept 22cnd, I flipped to 12/12 on Nov 17th and they were showing female parts by Nov 28-29th. Here is a quote and a picture from BuildaSoil website on Mustard seed meal:

"Applications of Mustard Seed Meal selects for specific bacterial and fungal communities in the soil. These specific communities work to improve nutrient availability for the crop, reduce plant stress, increase plant vigor, and improve yields. Scientists nation-wide have reported a consistent promotion of soil fungal and bacterial communities containing Trichoderma spp., Streptomyces spp., Pseudomonas spp., Anthrobotrys spp., Plectosphaerella cucumerina, Dactylella oviparasitica, Paecilomyces lilacinus and many more. Each of these beneficial microbes play a crucial role in the complex interaction occurring between soil and roots creating a long-lasting symbiotic relationship that aids in the enhanced production and protection of crops."

"Check out the activity after adding to our in store worm bin! All the gnats are gone now too"

1700933291550.png

I also notice this fungal activity after top dressing my plants, although not as extreme as they are showing in pic above. I also notice that I now have no signs of fungus gnats now after using as a top dress. I did also use the BT (Mosquito bits). Jeremy at Build a Soil calls mustard seed meal a "Bio Fumigator".

Happy Growing!

:passitleft:

Good morning @2Water ! I put seeds to germinate on Sept 22cnd, I flipped to 12/12 on Nov 17th and they were showing female parts by Nov 28-29th. Here is a quote and a picture from BuildaSoil website on Mustard seed meal:

"Applications of Mustard Seed Meal selects for specific bacterial and fungal communities in the soil. These specific communities work to improve nutrient availability for the crop, reduce plant stress, increase plant vigor, and improve yields. Scientists nation-wide have reported a consistent promotion of soil fungal and bacterial communities containing Trichoderma spp., Streptomyces spp., Pseudomonas spp., Anthrobotrys spp., Plectosphaerella cucumerina, Dactylella oviparasitica, Paecilomyces lilacinus and many more. Each of these beneficial microbes play a crucial role in the complex interaction occurring between soil and roots creating a long-lasting symbiotic relationship that aids in the enhanced production and protection of crops."

"Check out the activity after adding to our in store worm bin! All the gnats are gone now too"

1700933291550.png

I also notice this fungal activity after top dressing my plants, although not as extreme as they are showing in pic above. I also notice that I now have no signs of fungus gnats now after using as a top dress. I did also use the BT (Mosquito bits). Jeremy at Build a Soil calls mustard seed meal a "Bio Fumigator".

Happy Growing!

Awesome, thanks!

1700933291550.png

Happy Growing!

My favorite cure for fungus gnats is cinnamon. A solid sprinkling across the surface and they usually disappear pretty quickly. I haven’t had one in ages but it used to work well. The gnats hate it. And it makes the tent smell good. Lol.

My favorite cure for fungus gnats is cinnamon. A solid sprinkling across the surface and they usually disappear pretty quickly. I haven’t had one in ages but it used to work well. The gnats hate it. And it makes the tent smell good. Lol.
Wonder why they don't like it 🤔

Not sure, not educated enough. But even if so, it is only a sprinkling on the surface. How much damage could it do? Betcha @Gee64 or @Keffka or @Azimuth would know.
Maybe just placing some cinnamon sticks on the top of the pot/soil would be enough and remove them when top watering 💁‍♂️

Most flying critters are attracted to boggy moist soil, so over watering will attract them I'm sure. Uncomposted meals in a top dressing will likely attract them too.

If your plants are too wet, nature will try to cull them. Pest are usually a sign of something being less than optimal, and to nature that means your a food source, not a reproductive source to perpetuate the lineage, so She votes you off the Island, and pests are her henchmen.

If you research fungus gnats I'm sure you will find out what you are doing to attract them.

I would start with making sure that after a top dressing you cover the dressing with a layer of soil or mulch, so the surface can dry out.

I don't use any pest deterents other than calcium, phosphorus, carbon, oxygen, and beneficial aerobic soil microbes.

By using those 5 things, my brix goes above 12 and then I promote fungal growth.

Most flying critters are attracted to boggy moist soil, so over watering will attract them I'm sure. Uncomposted meals in a top dressing will likely attract them too.

If your plants are too wet, nature will try to cull them. Pest are usually a sign of something being less than optimal, and to nature that means your a food source, not a reproductive source to perpetuate the lineage, so She votes you off the Island, and pests are her henchmen.

If you research fungus gnats I'm sure you will find out what you are doing to attract them.

I would start with making sure that after a top dressing you cover the dressing with a layer of soil or mulch, so the surface can dry out.

I don't use any pest deterents other than calcium, phosphorus, carbon, oxygen, and beneficial aerobic soil microbes.

By using those 5 things, my brix goes above 12 and then I promote fungal growth.
Howdy i use rove beetles, research them on fungus gnats and thrips I keep them in my worm bin and growing soil also, keep a soil tension of 80 tp 120 mb 80 being wet! When top dressing scratch in the soil surface
Me, I don't top dress anymore my LOS. i get a test amend as necessary and roll with it the whole round,I do pretty good . I use LAB and strictly microbes when i water and that's it, with soil ph around 6.5 .
I ph my water as well, I shoot for
6.8 Hooe this helps you a little ✌️

IMG20231124023930.jpg

IMG20231213121137.jpg

IMG20231125161845.jpg

Rove Beetle (Dalotia coriaria)

Dalotia coriaria is a fast-moving, soil dwelling rove beetle. It is a generalist predator that feeds on a wide range of small insects and mites but is primarily an egg predator.

The Rove Beetle is used in the control of fungus gnats, thrips pupae, moth fly larvae, shore flies, root mealybugs, springtails and other small arthropods.

The supplied adults can fly and find hard-to-reach locations in greenhouses where pests may lurk. The larvae are predaceous and resemble the adults. They thrive in damp conditions and are ideally introduced early during propagation cycles in greenhouses. Can be combined with BioStratiolaelaps to help prevent root aphids

While they are beetles, they do not quite look like beetles. They are light to dark brown in color, with adults being 3-4 mm long. BioAtheta curve their abdomen upwards (like scorpions) and can run or fly when disturbed . Since they can actively fly, they rapidly colonize the release area.

Each adult rove beetle consumes 10-20 prey per day. In greenhouse conditions, adults are non-diapausing and can be used year round especially in propagation conditions.

Back
Top Bottom