Winging It In Winter By The Window: Soil Auto Grow

How does the increase in yield (I suppose that must be the reason for 20/4) compare to the electricity savings by running 12/12 in flower? Think you get close to double?
Also @Azimuth, a word on philosophy. The autos are going to bud no matter the light cycle, right? But yet they are not subject to needing a certain one. That means light = growth very purely, if that makes sense. So yes, the reason I do 20/4 vs. 12/12 with autos is because I believe they will make bigger buds with more light. Simply put. Lol.

Hi @Azimuth - since Carmen asked, I'll take the lead here I guess....my short answer to this question is I don't know, I've never done a side by side. However, dig this: The two autos out back are starting to crowd the space. The Zkittlez is in flower and has budlets, the Jack shows no signs yet. I think it may well be a photo. So later today I am going to be putting the Jack into the big tent at canopy level with the others. There's just enough space for it I believe in the fan spot, which can be repositioned a bit to allow it to work if necessary. This will allow the Zkittlez plenty of space.

This is going to give us our side by side if it turns out to be an auto!!!!

We will have the Zkittlez on 20/4 out back and the Jack in the tent on 12/12. Both plants exactly the same age. If Jack's an auto, she'll bud out at 12/12 and we'll see! Too bad it's not the same strain trained exactly the same way in the same size pots, lol. And if Jack does turn out to be a photo, well, once she hits the tent today she gets flipped at 6 pm tonight! Either way I can deal with it, it'll be very cool. Closest I can come to data with which to better address your question.
Ok, thanks. And for the record, it was me who was asking. (C'mon man, focus up! That's twice in two days!) :lot-o-toke::p

I ask because some growers focus on DLI (Day Light Integer) which suggests the plants can only soak up so many light rays after which the rest is wasted. I'm going to assume auto's work the same way.

Is there any way to tell when the plants have maxed out the DLI? Like maybe they start to droop like they would when anticipating lights out. If so, that might be something to watch for to max out your harvest while minimizing your light bill.

That light is 200w so it will add whatever a 200w light bulb would add to your electric bill! I second Jon's suggestion about getting the Photone app for your phone and following the directions (which I'm sure Jon can help with if you run into questions).

And since it's fixed in height, you will be raising or lowering the plants themselves to adjust until you wire in a dimmer (if you do). So make sure you have various riser sizes to hit that sweet spot based on the app.

In terms of light demand, folks do say that once a plant hits the DLI is when it droops for the day, but I've never seen anyone measuring that to back it up. My plants don't droop at all outside and they're getting well over their DLI in the sun, so there's that.

I would give them as much light as your wallet can handle.

That light is 200w so it will add whatever a 200w light bulb would add to your electric bill! I second Jon's suggestion about getting the Photone app for your phone and following the directions (which I'm sure Jon can help with if you run into questions).

And since it's fixed in height, you will be raising or lowering the plants themselves to adjust until you wire in a dimmer (if you do). So make sure you have various riser sizes to hit that sweet spot based on the app.

In terms of light demand, folks do say that once a plant hits the DLI is when it droops for the day, but I've never seen anyone measuring that to back it up. My plants don't droop at all outside and they're getting well over their DLI in the sun, so there's that.

:thumb:

I couldn't agree more with every word you said here. Interesting about drooping when they get to DLI saturation point, I never heard that before. I also wonder if there might be some differences that are as yet undefined by anyone between how autos respond to light vs. photos?

@Azimuth, I just saw your question, above a few posts, Shed pretty much covered it here I think.

Hello , Sorry it has taken me a while to respond. I went on an overnight visit to mates, which was great. We walked along the riverside and saw that stones painted with insects, frogs and so on were dotted and hidden around. I'm posting some here.

Tomorrow I pick up my medium and it's on. I will wait until I have all my ducks firmly in a row before I wet the seeds. My hope is to do that tomorrow.

I want to put a link in here quickly to @InTheShed 's journal, the excellent discussion people were having about topping autos. I'm going to need to read all of this again and it is a good link to have.

I will do that, thank you Shed. I can't do the maths 😊 ... @Skottelgoed Spons gave me an idea of what it will cost so I feel okay about that.

the Photone app
Busy installing atm thanks! This will probably be a bit of a learning curve for me because I'm really shyte with maths and science....

@Jon I don't even know what it is measuring at this point. I Googled but I don't really understand it. .... I've now tried installing it three times and it won't install on my Huawei. Is it for iPhone only, maybe?

I couldn't agree more
Thank you Jon. I'm nervous about this grow and potential droops if I don't get the watering right. That makes me nervous.

DLI (Day Light Integer)
Thanks for your questions Azimuth

I'm busy trying to understand all the science with the help of Google. It is deffo a huge learning curve for me.
My mate who gave me the light said to keep the vegging plants about 40 to 50 cm away from the light, and 20 to 30 cm away when they are in flower. He grew good weed with the light used that way. However, the benefit of understanding the science myself is that I would learn to understand why things get done in certain ways.

If I can have an app that measures what I am doing that's great. Is there an alternative to Photone by any chance?

iPhones and Androids but I don't know what operating system Huawei runs
Android 10 I think. It's definitely Android. I wonder what on earth could be preventing it from installing. There is no error message.... I will know if something's wrong by observing them, and I am probably going to be obsessed since they are going in my living room... by the way that window is not street facing ;). That would be inviting trouble lol.

Hello , Sorry it has taken me a while to respond. I went on an overnight visit to mates, which was great. We walked along the riverside and saw that stones painted with insects, frogs and so on were dotted and hidden around. I'm posting some here.

Tomorrow I pick up my medium and it's on. I will wait until I have all my ducks firmly in a row before I wet the seeds. My hope is to do that tomorrow.

I want to put a link in here quickly to @InTheShed 's journal, the excellent discussion people were having about topping autos. I'm going to need to read all of this again and it is a good link to have.

I will do that, thank you Shed. I can't do the maths 😊 ... @Skottelgoed Spons gave me an idea of what it will cost so I feel okay about that.

Busy installing atm thanks! This will probably be a bit of a learning curve for me because I'm really shyte with maths and science....

@Jon I don't even know what it is measuring at this point. I Googled but I don't really understand it. .... I've now tried installing it three times and it won't install on my Huawei. Is it for iPhone only, maybe?

Thank you Jon. I'm nervous about this grow and potential droops if I don't get the watering right. That makes me nervous.

Thanks for your questions Azimuth

I'm busy trying to understand all the science with the help of Google. It is deffo a huge learning curve for me.
My mate who gave me the light said to keep the vegging plants about 40 to 50 cm away from the light, and 20 to 30 cm away when they are in flower. He grew good weed with the light used that way. However, the benefit of understanding the science myself is that I would learn to understand why things get done in certain ways.

If I can have an app that measures what I am doing that's great. Is there an alternative to Photone by any chance?
Hi @Carmen Ray! Looks like your app questions already got answered and you're on your way. All you do is pay the $5 to unlock red/blue (if your light is a blurple) or full spectrum (if it's full spectrum LED). The diffuser is simply a strip of printer paper that wraps tightly around your phone at the top (all the way around) and you tape in place so it's covering any/all camera lenses. Then all you have to do is pick your preferred measuring system, ie, ppfd, LUX, DLI and go to that screen to measure. If you aren't sure which system to use to measure I would suggest that using either ppfd or Lux might be easier than all the science of DLI. Easier to wrap your head around ppfd for me but many use Lux. It is way easier than it seems.

Also, this:
I couldn't agree more
Thank you Jon. I'm nervous about this grow and potential droops if I don't get the watering right. That makes me nervous

I totally get this man, it's completely natural. I still feel that way every grow to some extent. That will keep you on your toes. Just don't stress too hard, and also, my unsolicited advice for the evening is this: use the site for research more so than Googling information. You will undoubtedly get better and more accurate information and often better source material than you might find on your own. There's tons of misinformation out there. I learned 2000X more asking questions here than I ever did on Google.

FWIW!

Yaaaay another saffa busy with a journal! Whoop whoop. Got my nba from b&b as well when I bought the hindu kush from them as a freebie. Hopefully yours will sprout. Mine did not even crack open. I was really sad about it. But hey its life I guess. Son't know if it was old stock because I saw on the web that the nba diesel has been discontinued. Don't know how true it is?:nerd-with-glasses:How you holding out with the loadshedding when doing indoor grows? Its been a nightmare and I guess @Bounce3d also has something to say about the loadshedding in SA. I see they're warning of incoming shedding again...

Stay safe!
Skottelgoed
hey @Skottelgoed Spons ya the loadshedding sucks, what can we do about it tho. i have my lights on only from 6pm until 6am (busy flowering) so doesnt affect me to bad, most of our ''shedding'' is during the day

hey @Skottelgoed Spons ya the loadshedding sucks, what can we do about it tho. i have my lights on only from 6pm until 6am (busy flowering) so doesnt affect me to bad, most of our ''shedding'' is during the day
Lucky you man! Our shedding is during the time my lights are on. It really suck hard, but lioe you said what can we do about it.

Easier to wrap your head around ppfd for me but many use Lux. It is way easier than it seems.
Thank you!

i have my lights on only from 6pm until 6am (busy flowering) so doesnt affect me to bad, most of our ''shedding'' is during the day
Hey Bounced, welcome to my grow journal. Can the autos hermie if the lights keep going off at irregular times?
what can we do about it
It's a horrible feeling this powerlessness. Have you seen what they intend to do with our data? They are pushing a new Bill past the President's desk which allows them to hold ALL of our biometric data on our phone sim cards. "The regulations define biometric data as the “measurement and statistical analysis of people’s unique physical and behavioural characteristics”." That is straight from their Bill. There is still time for comment.

Also, if you are living in the Western Cape, please discuss the 2022 Census with family and connections. Only 50 something % of Capetonians have been counted. National government deals out the money and resources according to the number of people in a particular region. Western Cape has been UNDER-counted, and it could be a ploy by National to destabilize Western Cape and deprive us of resources due our independent thinking local and provincial governments. Please get counted! Phone their hotline or go online but get counted.

Day 1: 28 April 2022
I have collected my soil and inoculant, and I have wet my seeds! Am I allowed to photograph South African brands?

IMG_20220428_105923.jpg

Day 1: 28 April 2022
I have collected my soil and inoculant, and I have wet my seeds! Am I allowed to photograph South African brands?

IMG_20220428_105923.jpg
Whoop first seeds on the go now!! It has begun!

I have previously mentioned and had photos of the local brands I use on my grows. But have no idea if allowed...

How does the increase in yield (I suppose that must be the reason for 20/4) compare to the electricity savings by running 12/12 in flower? Think you get close to double?
I had pretty involved conversations with a couple heavies on this, and after those I have switched to always using 24/0 for veg, for both autos and photos. Obviously with photos you just flip that to 12/12 when you're ready. With the autos, I feel that once they start to flower the plant needs a little bit of downtime. So as soon as I begin to see pistil and preflowers, I switch my auto light to 20/4. That's just me, everyone does it differently with autos it seems.
Good morning everyone.... So for autos I did the 12/12 thing with my autos from my first grow and they didn't seem to like that and grew slow and small.... Currently I'm using 18 hours full power ( dual switched blurple and %100 on dimmer) and then at "night" not giving darkness but lowering power (%30 dimmer and only red switch) and they seem to be growing lovely...... This is just what I do idk if it works the way I think it does but I can't ignore how well they are.

Photo below of one under the light schedule I mention.

IMG_20220427_220620655_HDR.jpg

Good morning everyone.... So for autos I did the 12/12 thing and my autos from my first grow and they didn't seem to like that and grew slow and small.... Currently I'm using 18 hours full power ( dual switched blurple and %100 on dimmer) and then at "night" not giving darkness but lowering power (%30 dimmer and only red switch) and they seem to be growing lovely...... This is just what I do idk if it works the way I think it does but I can't ignore how well they are.

Photo below of one under the light schedule I mention.

IMG_20220427_220620655_HDR.jpg
18/6 is much better than 12/12. 12/12 simply isn't near enough light to max an auto. Regardless of what any science might say, that's the reality. They will always do better with more light. And what you're doing in the dark period is just fine. Straight dark or what you're doing is the same thing. The light gets low enough to slow their processes to the point of rest (in very non scientific terms, lol) either way. Might even help to have the little ambient light in dark time for all I know. You see how much better you do at 18/6. It doesn't take more than one auto at 12/12 to prove it.

Currently I'm using 18 hours full power ( dual switched blurple and %100 on dimmer) and then at "night" not giving darkness but lowering power (%30 dimmer and only red switch) and they seem to be growing lovely
Nice plant, Happy!
ou see how much better you do at 18/6. It doesn't take more than one auto at 12/12 to prove it.
Gotcha both. I will go full ball with my light plus ambient window light and see what happens as I go along. naturally the plants will get less light at night because they will lose the window light. We must be somewhere in the teens here atm, because we are going into winter, heading towards that one night of 12/12, presumably on 21 June?

Nice plant, Happy!

Gotcha both. I will go full ball with my light plus ambient window light and see what happens as I go along. naturally the plants will get less light at night because they will lose the window light. We must be somewhere in the teens here atm, because we are going into winter, heading towards that one night of 12/12, presumably on 21 June?
Presumably, yes, that would be the day. It helped me with autos when I was able to "free my brain" from the automatic 18/6 and 12/12 thoughts we were used to before autos. Autos don't acknowledge the solstice, the light cycles, or anything else related to light. Lots of people grow them on 24/0 start to finish. Personally I don't go that full bore due to my belief that in flower the plant needs a few hours of rest. You simply cannot mess an auto up with too much light. Too little, yes. Too much, not possible.

Presumably, yes, that would be the day. It helped me with autos when I was able to "free my brain" from the automatic 18/6 and 12/12 thoughts we were used to before autos. Autos don't acknowledge the solstice, the light cycles, or anything else related to light. Lots of people grow them on 24/0 start to finish. Personally I don't go that full bore due to my belief that in flower the plant needs a few hours of rest. You simply cannot mess an auto up with too much light. Too little, yes. Too much, not possible.
Very informative bro! I do agree no matter what a plant also needs its rest.

Back
Top Bottom