Look for places on the main stems, between the buds, for stuff that looks like white cotton with grey or black strands.

Look for places on the main stems, between the buds, for stuff that looks like white cotton with grey or black strands.
I am not seeing anything like that. The photo of the trichomes is microscopic. My vision is not that good. I can't see between the foxtails.

Ok I am starting to fret. Should I harvest this plant and wash it fast to prevent bud rot spreading? I cannot see anything with my naked eyes.

If it's mold (bud rot) you can't wash it. you have to throw away the affected areas. be careful you don't spread it
Bend the buds apart look at the main stem that is where it starts.
If you are worried about breaking the buds off, they are almost done anyway, but if the rot spreads you will nothing left
Doubt it's spider mites (borg) the leaves look too good still
You said you just had big rain, so humidity would be up plus the big heat = chance of mold.
I hope Shed is right but i would check
mold.jpg
Untitled (2).jpg

If it's mold (bud rot) you can't wash it. you have to throw away the affected areas. be careful you don't spread it
If you are worried about breaking the buds off, they are almost done anyway, but if the rot spreads you will nothing left
You said you just had big rain, so humidity would be up plus the big heat = chance of mold.
mold.jpg
Untitled (2).jpg
I agree it looks to me like mold. I thought it was possible to wash mold with citric acid? Am I mistaken?

I agree it looks to me like mold. I thought it was possible to wash mold with citric acid? Am I mistaken?
That's for power mildew. Think Shed experimented to see if it helped stop the spread of bud rot, after cutting it out
Ask @Bill284 how that worked think he lost almost half his crop

That's for power mildew. Think Shed experimented to see if it helped stop the spread of bud rot, after cutting it out
I can't cut it out if I can't see it. I honestly don't know what to do now.

Look for any dead yellow or brown trim leaves in the buds & bend there to the stem

Look for any dead yellow or brown trim leaves in the buds & bend there to the stem
There aren't any. The plant looks good to me other than that microscopic bit of what appears to be mold, and I have no idea where on the plant that is.

The acid in the citric acid kill the hyphae stopping the spread.
But my problem was it was inside the buds.
I couldn't get the acid into the middle where it was growing.
The week or two I spent spraying I should have been chopping.
It works but not a perfect solution.
Hope that helps.
Take care.

#Vivosun #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

There aren't any. The plant looks good to me other than that microscopic bit of what appears to be mold, and I have no idea where on the plant that is.
Really sorry to hear you might have mold problems Carmen :(

You could harvest early, break each nug up one at a time a little bit away from the rest and inspect closely for mold and just keep anything that doesn't look bad?

I have read the only "solution" for budrot is to cut the affected parts away (and a little excess to be safe) and keep what's left... I know that sucks but hopefully the white furryness is visible to the eye on closer inspection if you break the buds down carefully?

Definitely confirm it is mold first though!
Hope you can salvage something mate, sorry for your bad luck right next to the finish line :green_heart:

I have put this in Shed's thread too, hoping to get a quick response. I suspect my plant is infected with wpm. Please take a close look at this photo and tell me if that looks like white powdery mildew starting to form?

DSC_2139-Edit.jpg

Sorry, looks to be the start of bud rot, bend open the spot to take a better look,

mold.jpg
Untitled (2).jpg

I agree 420% with Brother @Joe Brewster. I just responded in Brother @InTheShed's journal with this:

I'm pretty sure that is not PM which would look like white talcum powder covering the leaves that would rub off on your fingers. That looks more like early stages of Botrytis (bud rot) to me.

The challenge is that you really shouldn't use most fungicides while the plant is in flower and most "authorities" recommend you toss any plant effected by Botrytis.

Assuming you want to try to save the plant, I would separate it from any others, so it doesn't spread (when Botrytis matures, it releases spores!), remove any buds that have signs of infection and any nearby buds, check your humidity/temp/air circulation, and spray with a diluted H2O2 solution (50/50 water & 3% H2O2).

I wish I had better news and I could be wrong on the Botrytis, but don't think I am! :sorry:

I agree 420% with Brother @Joe Brewster. I just responded in Brother @InTheShed's journal with this:
Thanks Mr Krip. What do you think is going to be my best course of action, given that I don't know where on the plant this comes from and I do not see anything untoward with my naked eye. Here are some branch shots taken with my phone. Unfortunately my camera is out of action and that is my eyes.
IMG_20230224_105206.jpg
IMG_20230224_105235.jpg
IMG_20230224_105254.jpg
IMG_20230224_105350.jpg
IMG_20230224_105411.jpg
IMG_20230224_105424.jpg

IMG_20230224_105431.jpg

IMG_20230224_105449.jpg

Thanks Mr Krip. What do you think is going to be my best course of action, given that I don't know where on the plant this comes from and I do not see anything untoward with my naked eye. Here are some branch shots taken with my phone. Unfortunately my camera is out of action and that is my eyes.
IMG_20230224_105206.jpg
IMG_20230224_105235.jpg
IMG_20230224_105254.jpg
IMG_20230224_105350.jpg
IMG_20230224_105411.jpg
IMG_20230224_105424.jpg

IMG_20230224_105431.jpg

IMG_20230224_105449.jpg
I'm going to respond here so we don't have to both duplicate post in @InTheShed's journal....

So, that plant is still young to think about harvesting now. When the Botrytis is advanced, it will result in brown/mushy spots on the bud(s) so you MIGHT be able to avoid that by doing the H2O2 foliars and controlling temps/humidity/circulation.

After a few days of doing that, try taking some more close-up pics of different areas of the plants and see if you/we can still find any issues. If you find any of those brown/mushy spots, you really need to cut them out completely, if not remove the entire bud. You really don't want to be smoking those mold spores and you don't want that plant infecting any of your healthy plants.

Assuming you get to harvest, depending on how successful the treatments are, you can always use those buds for making topicals. I would think an alcohol extraction to make RSO/CCO would also likely kill any mold that the H2O2 might have missed, but would want to research that before recommending it.

:goodluck:

Hi Carmen. Bud rot in my garden has always been first caught by seeing a limp brown maybe slimy looking sugar leaf! I ask you, do you have any of that? If no, keep your eyes open and my advice is to carry on until you see a more positive sign. Unless I missed you finding for sure some brown rot somewhere?

Hi Carmen. Bud rot in my garden has always been first caught by seeing a limp brown maybe slimy looking sugar leaf! I ask you, do you have any of that? If no, keep your eyes open and my advice is to carry on until you see a more positive sign. Unless I missed you finding for sure some brown rot somewhere?
It starts as a white fuzz then progresses to the brown mush

This is more advanced than Carm's case but not yet at the brown/mushy stage (note: "it's difficult to spot in the early stages"). Click on the picture to get a better view:

4. BOTRYTIS​

Botrytis (also known as bud rot or grey mold) is a type of fungus that affects plants in general. In cannabis, it develops inside the buds and slowly starts to grow outwards, making it difficult to spot in the early stages. So if you were wondering what does mold look line on weed, here's an example.

66a0a0de06270e6cce60a1a0467f389e.jpg

Botrytis on Cannabis plant.

Bud rot is easier to get when growing outdoors but can affect indoor growers if the temperature and humidity are not controlled. It can also happen when drying and when curing. If the buds haven’t dried properly they can still hold water, increasing the humidity in the curing jar and ultimately developing mold.

It starts as a white fuzz then progresses to the brown mush
Hi Mr Krip, yes, I want to be sure it's not trichomes that have been pressed together as Shed mentioned at his place, then brought apart. That will give a very similar look. I don't want to see this plant cut unless it's necessary. I think if it can't be found anywhere else like she's saying then it may not be early rot.

Hi Mr Krip, yes, I want to be sure it's not trichomes that have been pressed together as Shed mentioned at his place, then brought apart. That will give a very similar look. I don't want to see this plant cut unless it's necessary. I think if it can't be found anywhere else like she's saying then it may not be early rot.
That's fair, but I'd start treating right now for Botrytis if trying to save the plant, and not just wait and see if it gets worse. It likely will. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news and I have utmost respect and admiration for Brother @InTheShed and his growing knowledge/abilities, but I'm pretty close to 420% sure that is not caused by compressed trichomes.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom