Edibles!!!!!! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Have you tried the Perfect Pipe? I think they're still a sponsor. I did a review on them a couple/few years ago (link in signature), tossed my bongs a couple months later, and it's pretty much the only way I smoke flower these days. I'm probably their biggest customer with all the extra pipes, screens & filters I've ordered! :rofl:

Do you have a link to where you're doing the WC? I'd love to see how that works out! :thumb:
Hey Mr Krip!

No I have not tried perfect pipe but I’ve had my eye on them. I know I’m just being a butt-head but something about lighter fluid versus a pre made paper cone… I’d rather smoke a cone which I ignite only once versus a bong or pipe that I relight every time… but full disclosure I’ve not tried hemp wick route either

Yes sir just my perpetual link below… nothing high tech just basic description of where I’m headed with this cure. I didn’t even hold out a control sample this time so it’s not a real comparison of anything but I’ll have a pretty quick eval done when I fire up and finish that first sampler cone of cured goodness.

I know I’m just being a butt-head but something about lighter fluid versus a pre made paper cone…
Oh dear lol... do you think that's a big deal? I don't use a Zippo, I use a BIC and I smoke a glass pipe.

Oh dear lol... do you think that's a big deal? I don't use a Zippo, I use a BIC and I smoke a glass pipe.

Same, same Carmen, I use Bic disposable but it can’t be good to keep firing up a lighter and puffing away hit after hit deep into lungs. Not sure what gas is in disposable whether butane or napatha but whatever it is - I’m not a fan. My preference is cones and to light it just 1 time but in reality it often goes out before im ready for another toke. Then I relight without inhaling until it’s going again

Same, same Carmen, I use Bic disposable but it can’t be good to keep firing up a lighter and puffing away hit after hit deep into lungs. Not sure what gas is in disposable whether butane or napatha but whatever it is - I’m not a fan. My preference is cones and to light it just 1 time but in reality it often goes out before im ready for another toke. Then I relight without inhaling until it’s going again
Yes you are probably right. Truth be told, smoke inhalation is not great period. I've wondered about vaping and inhaling resin. Does that coat the lung tissue like the tar in cigarettes does do you think?

Thank you to you guys for a vibrant conversation about bud rot!

I had this question in 3 different places on the site. I asked in Shed's first because I wasn't sure how long it would be before the question would be seen in my journal. Then I put it in my journal, panicked and put it in FAQ section too! LOL

So I have harvested and I am glad I have. I would never have spotted the bud rot if I hadn't. I feel hopeful that I have saved the rest of the bud from damage. I smoked a toaster tester and it got me high!

An interesting point that came out in conversation with @SmokingWings in the FAQ section, is that the trichomes had begun to degrade in that photo.

Here are the shots I got of the affected buds. I washed in 1 % citric acid solution and separated all of the buds from one another. They are laying on a towel to dry off before they go in the dark. Waste not want not :cheesygrinsmiley:

IMG_20230224_153406.jpg
IMG_20230224_153442.jpg
IMG_20230224_153502.jpg
IMG_20230224_153518.jpg
IMG_20230224_162204.jpg
IMG_20230224_162437.jpg
IMG_20230224_162455.jpg
Did you find the tan dead sugar leaves before or after you started to harvest?
Was that where the hairy spot was?
Now you know what to watch for

Did you find the tan dead sugar leaves before or after you started to harvest?
Was that where the hairy spot was?
Now you know what to watch for
No. I couldn't see anything at all. I harvested because of the photograph. I do not know where on the plant that photograph was taken. When I opened the bud up to pull it apart I spotted the few brown bits that are in the photographs I attached. There was no evidence that the plant had a problem other than that photograph but that was evidence enough. I have salvaged some bud and I will check it for mold going forward.

I'm impressed that you see this as a learning opportunity - it's obviously a punch in the gut, but it happens. Sometimes the outcome doesn't reflect our best efforts...

I'm impressed that you see this as a learning opportunity - it's obviously a punch in the gut, but it happens. Sometimes the outcome doesn't reflect our best efforts...
Thank you Thirvnrob. There's bigger and more important things to get upset about :meditate:. I know going into a grow that it will be a challenge to produce a good harvest, especially with the plants being autos instead of photos. I think that it is very difficult for South African growers at this time. We are living with Stage 6 Loadshedding which means that our power is intermittently off upwards of 12 hours everyday. Now that's something to get upset about! :passitleft:

Hello chuckeye, nice to see you and thank you for the encouraging observations! I'm "dialed in" as best as I can be and so I suppose I should be grateful that this bud is rock hard and smells so awesome, given it is in a pot on my dining room table. I will no longer worry about the foxtails as ev1 has said not to. There are not a lot of trichomes yet but maybe more will come. I got spoilt by looking at the flowers of the Skywalker Kush that appeared dusted with snow.

Yes, that makes sense.

This is going to be interesting. I am so not used to bud like this. Yummy calyxes, more more.

Maybe I will leave the hex for a photoperiod grow then. Maybe I will try another quad? What do you think? I am looking at the RR XXL Auto and thinking the yield is significantly greater than the first three I've harvested while attempting to create flat canopies. In theory, which training should yield more? I should persevere with the one most likely to yield the most bud.

Some trichome pics. I'm guessing a week to go.
DSC_2053-Edit.jpg
DSC_2070-Edit.jpg
DSC_2079-Edit.jpg
DSC_2082-Edit.jpg
@Krissi Carbone grows some massive Auto’s maybe check out her GJ. CL🍀

@Krissi Carbone grows some massive Auto’s maybe check out her GJ. CL🍀
Thank you Cap. I know Krissi has some very interesting projects in the works. I think there will always be the element of surprise with what I grow in the living room. Krissi has everything dialed in to perfection. I don't think I can ever hope to achieve what she and others do, but I can aspire to such anyway! I must look at her journals more closely. She is droughting autos if I am not mis-remembering?!

Thank you Cap. I know Krissi has some very interesting projects in the works. I think there will always be the element of surprise with what I grow in the living room. Krissi has everything dialed in to perfection. I don't think I can ever hope to achieve what she and others do, but I can aspire to such anyway! I must look at her journals more closely. She is droughting autos if I am not mis-remembering?!
That and some other things but some of her Auto’s are enormous. Personally I never really had any luck with them and now I only grow photos. I’m germinating 3 different strains right now from @Herbies Seeds . Imho the best seed supplier I’ve ever used. CL🍀 :goodluck: :morenutes::Namaste:

That and some other things but some of her Auto’s are enormous. Personally I never really had any luck with them and now I only grow photos. I’m germinating 3 different strains right now from @Herbies Seeds . Imho the best seed supplier I’ve ever used. CL🍀 :goodluck: :morenutes::Namaste:
I hear you. I'd far rather be growing photos than autos. @Barney's Farm has that good a reputation. I will be growing some of their Skywalker OG Auto next. I see that those reportedly get quite big and judging from the height of this last one while it was starting to stretch, I believe it!

Glad your taking a positive view Carmen! An opportunity for growth and learning is still a win and fingers crossed after it dries, there is some useable product for you :green_heart: Look forward to your next attempt :cheer:

I hear you. I'd far rather be growing photos than autos. @Barney's Farm has that good a reputation. I will be growing some of their Skywalker OG Auto next. I see that those reportedly get quite big and judging from the height of this last one while it was starting to stretch, I believe it!
You can’t go wrong with either one they both have great reviews. I like @Herbies Seeds for the 1-3 day delivery. They also offer Ace seeds. CL🍀

Shed, regarding mycotoxins and topicals, I can't understand how it could even be safe to use the flower for topicals? I found this article Mechanisms of Mycotoxin-induced Dermal Toxicity and Tumorigenesis Through Oxidative Stress-related Pathways, and I think it says that it is dangerous to use moldy flower for topicals even?
Thanks for digging that up Carmen! I'm going to link @Virgin Ground here so she can see it as well.
Hey Shed,Carmen.

When I made my oil I was proactive and scoped every bud.
I didn't use anything with any hint of mold. That was all cut off.
I just didn't want to smoke it because that plant had some moldy buds and I was being cautious. Topicals seemed the way to go with the useable buds.

Thanks for the article.
I'll try to find the time to read it soon.

This is as basic as it gets, I know, but the extent of my knowledge but mould is bacteria so if you’re heating above 71c’s like the safe temp for killing basically 99% - like really you want to cook chicken to that temp because of cell structure. Its airy whereas beef say is denser.

So topical or edible as long as they get a good heating for a few minutes at 71c or 180 or above it doesn’t matter? Decarbing is way above that already generally.

Or is what they might leave behind that is rhe concern?

Just interested.

Nick

This is as basic as it gets, I know, but the extent of my knowledge but mould is bacteria so if you’re heating above 71c’s like the safe temp for killing basically 99% - like really you want to cook chicken to that temp because of cell structure. Its airy whereas beef say is denser.

So topical or edible as long as they get a good heating for a few minutes at 71c or 180 or above it doesn’t matter? Decarbing is way above that already generally.

Just interested.

Nick
It's what's left behind that's the problem. Heat won't break the toxins down.
It's kind of like botulinum bacteria. Your immune system can deal with the bacteria itself quite easily, but the toxin it produces is another story.

It's kind of like botulinum bacteria. Your immune system can deal with the bacteria itself quite easily, but the toxin it produces is another story.
Awesome thanks!

Just answered my question exactly.

Thank you very much!

Nick

Glad your taking a positive view Carmen! An opportunity for growth and learning is still a win and fingers crossed after it dries, there is some useable product for you :green_heart: Look forward to your next attempt :cheer:
Thanks Weff, got to try to keep looking at the bright side of life. I am also looking forward to my next grow! I'll keep you posted.
You can’t go wrong with either one they both have great reviews. I like @Herbies Seeds for the 1-3 day delivery. They also offer Ace seeds. CL🍀
Good to know about the Ace! Thanks Cap.
Hey Shed,Carmen.

When I made my oil I was proactive and scoped every bud.
I didn't use anything with any hint of mold. That was all cut off.
I just didn't want to smoke it because that plant had some moldy buds and I was being cautious. Topicals seemed the way to go with the useable buds.

Thanks for the article.
I'll try to find the time to read it soon.
Hi VG. From what I understand the toxins will pass into the system transdermally if they are present.

Just interested.

Nick
That was my initial response until I read about the toxins. Bad stuff can make you very sick by the looks of.
And this is what it comes down to.

I am drying the stuff I separated from the moldy bits I found. I take delivery of a new memory card for the camera tomorrow, and will take macro pics to look for signs of mold. If I don't see anything, I will smoke it as normal.

Thank you Thirvnrob. There's bigger and more important things to get upset about :meditate:. I know going into a grow that it will be a challenge to produce a good harvest, especially with the plants being autos instead of photos. I think that it is very difficult for South African growers at this time. We are living with Stage 6 Loadshedding which means that our power is intermittently off upwards of 12 hours everyday. Now that's something to get upset about! :passitleft:
Yeah, that might get under my skin a little bit...
I also wanted to mention that I've had a few of my girls foxtail. I actually like it when they do. It seems to add density to the bud & I love the way it grinds up & smokes. They're like bonus buds to me...

Back
Top Bottom