Yeah, that might get under my skin a little bit...
I also wanted to mention that I've had a few of my girls foxtail. I actually like it when they do. It seems to add density to the bud & I love the way it grinds up & smokes. They're like bonus buds to me...
I'm glad to hear you like the foxtails when it happens. I had a foxtail in my grow last year too. I found trimming a pain but it does grind up nicely and there is no shortage of sticky. I hope hope hope that when scope these dried buds there is no sign of mold. This is supposed to be heavily indica and sleep inducing with its sedative effects. I hope that the foxtails bring me extra!

Carm,

One more suggestion I just remembered....:bong:

Assuming we get to a harvest, you may want to look at "Water Curing" which is supposed to help with moldy bud.

I had read about this years ago and almost never see it done:
Mr Krip, I skimmed past the water cure earlier when I was rushing to get the harvest done. I decided at the time that it was just too much of a learning curve for me. I have re-read the method and it certainly sounds interesting. I might experiment with a portion next time I harvest, just to see if I can do it. My buds are dry and I have jarred the majority (lid off and on its side) with a handful still drying. There's hope yet :) Thanks for sharing that.

This is what I found when I did my root autopsy. Feeder roots had colonized the whole pot, binding the soil together and the soil with the pot.

This soil was infested with Christmas Beetle grubs, just as the soil for the Skywalker was. I didn't bother with photos of the grubs this time. Too many and I'm not going to kill them individually. I'll take this soil to the dumping ground. I don't want it near my garden.

DSC_2150.jpg
DSC_2153.jpg
DSC_2156.jpg
DSC_2158.jpg
DSC_2159.jpg
DSC_2162.jpg
DSC_2163.jpg
DSC_2172.jpg

That was a nice root system! Those grubs were well fed. Think they came with the soil?
Not the soil I buy. I mixed it with used soil, potting soil and amended it with Essential Blend. I think they came from the potting soil. The beetles are plentiful at Christmas time and I think probably contaminate the garden pots, where the potting soil came from. Another mistake I won't make again 🙄

2 March 2023 Update

I have 65 g of the salvaged Red Russian XXL Auto bud. I photographed each bud back and front and examined them for signs of mold or bud rot. I don't see any at this stage. The buds are jarred and will be burped once a day for a few days and then sealed for the cure.

DSC_2237.jpg
DSC_2189-Edit.jpg

I'll be back with a smoke report in a few weeks, but for now I will close out this journal.

Thank you to all who have kept me company for this grow, offering words of support, advice and encouragement. It is hugely appreciated!

I look forward to my next grow which will begin in May. I hope you will join me on my next journey.

Congrats on salvaging the harvest!

I'd recommend waiting a few extra days and have another look with the macro lens before you put them away for any length of time.
I thought to do this and then I got lazy. I thought to myself it won't make matters worse if I seal it up and check for mold before smoking when I open it up again. It's really just my lazy meter kicking in, and I don't know who's lazy meter would be laziest in a lazy meter competition GDB, but I'm putting money on mine. Lol, oh dear (eg I don't even water my plants :laugh:)
What would be the benefit of doing all those buds back and front macro shots in a week and then after another month lol? Why not just seal and be done? If there is mold present it will grow and be easier to spot in several weeks time rather than in a week? :cheesygrinsmiley:
Congrats Carmen! Lekker looking bud, sisi, looks kif!

Late joiner but cool stuff!

What’s next?

Nick
Thank you broe, hold thumbs it is kiff and not moldy in a few weeks time! :laugh: Next up is Barney's Farm Skywalker OG Auto! I really like that high man. I will start that run in May after relies return to their respective homes.
Beautiful tasty looking harvest! I can't wait for next!
Thank you Otter! Yes, onward to the next one :)
Awesome harvest Carmen, thank you for such a detailed journal🌸 Will be looking forward to your smoke report 😊
Thank you Lexi! 🌸:passitleft:

What would be the benefit of doing all those buds back and front macro shots in a week and then after another month lol? Why not just seal and be done? If there is mold present it will grow and be easier to spot in several weeks time rather than in a week?
The advantage is that one moldy bud this week spreads to an entire jar full in a month. But your harvest, your lazy meter!

The advantage is that one moldy bud this week spreads to an entire jar full in a month. But your harvest, your lazy meter!
You may be right. The way I looked at it is that if there is mold on one, then I will throw out the lot. I think if there are spores on one in a sealed environment, then chances are that there are going to be spores contaminating the rest and it won't be advisable to keep any of the material from the jar. My lazy meter is about doing away with unnecessary complication rather than avoiding tasks :cheesygrinsmiley:
How are you feeling, Shed? It's encouraging to see you up and about on the site.

The way I looked at it is that if there is mold on one, then I will throw out the lot.
There already was mold on one and you kept some of the plant, so I'm not following your logic... as long as you are! I think you understand my point though.

I'm well enough to sit at my computer at home so that's a plus. Symptoms are ever changing and I'm waiting for the paxlovid to do something besides give me a metallic taste!

There already was mold on one and you kept some of the plant, so I'm not following your logic... as long as you are! I think you understand my point though.

I'm well enough to sit at my computer at home so that's a plus. Symptoms are ever changing and I'm waiting for the paxlovid to do something besides give me a metallic taste!
Do you mind teasing this idea out with me because I am not 100 % sure of my choices. My thinking about salvaging part of the plant is that there was no evidence of bud rot on three of the branches, only on the one. Other growers salvage parts of plants when bud rot is discovered, so I thought that I could try that too. I was careful to do one branch at a time. If there were spores present, the handling of the flower and the jarring of it would contaminate all of the material I would think? Does that make better sense now, or am I still missing the point?

Do you mind teasing this idea out with me because I am not 100 % sure of my choices. My thinking about salvaging part of the plant is that there was no evidence of bud rot on three of the branches, only on the one. Other growers salvage parts of plants when bud rot is discovered, so I thought that I could try that too. I was careful to do one branch at a time. If there were spores present, the handling of the flower and the jarring of it would contaminate all of the material I would think? Does that make better sense now, or am I still missing the point?
As I mentioned early on, I don't believe that's bud rot. It looks very much like the mold on my Tin Can Kush which had no signs of bud rot during the grow or at harvest. Only after a week hanging did the white strands appear in the flowers. And it looks similar to what Amy had on hers that she also dumped when she spotted it, so I would consider this different from chopping out botrytis, dousing the area with H2O2, and moving on.

As I mentioned early on, I don't believe that's bud rot. It looks very much like the mold on my Tin Can Kush which had no signs of bud rot during the grow or at harvest. Only after a week hanging did the white strands appear in the flowers. And it looks similar to what Amy had on hers that she also dumped when she spotted it, so I would consider this different from chopping out botrytis, dousing the area with H2O2, and moving on.
Oh I see now. I thought that the consensus was that it was bud rot and I thought the photos supported that. You disagree and think that this is a different mold altogether, similar to the Tin Can Kush's mold and Amy had a similar issue. From the tone of your comments, I think I made a mistake to salvage parts of the plant? Am I right? However, if there were spores on the flower going in to the jars, it can only spread right? So is it logically correct to suggest that if in 6 weeks there is no evidence of mold in the weed, it can be considered safe for consumption? Or do you think it is safer to throw away the whole lot?

I thought that the consensus was that it was bud rot and I thought the photos supported that.
My question would be whether a close up view of the bud rot showed the same strands as in your original close-up. If they did then I'm wrong and you can proceed with your plan.
From the tone of your comments, I think I made a mistake to salvage parts of the plant? Am I right?
I was merely recommending not sealing it up and putting it away so quickly without additional inspections, that's all.
However, if there were spores on the flower going in to the jars, it can only spread right? So is it logically correct to suggest that if in 6 weeks there is no evidence of mold in the weed, it can be considered safe for consumption? Or do you think it is safer to throw away the whole lot?
I think if no potential spores have generated the mold you saw then it would be no different than us using any other plant that looks visually clean upon inspection. My suggestion was to wait a bit longer before walking away for a month.

My question would be whether a close up view of the bud rot showed the same strands as in your original close-up. If they did then I'm wrong and you can proceed with your plan.
I didn't get any close enough pics of the "rot". I just zoomed in on the photos I took with my phone I think and I don't see that level of detail.
I was merely recommending not sealing it up and putting it away so quickly without additional inspections, that's all.
I'm still burping it daily so I could do another round of photographs if I have to. It's not easy to get the buds in proper focus with the macro lens though. Depth of field is poor and so are my eyes. The shots have to be focused manually.
I think if no potential spores have generated the mold you saw then it would be no different than us using any other plant that looks visually clean upon inspection. My suggestion was to wait a bit longer before walking away for a month.
I hear you. Perhaps I should try the other lens and see if zooming on those shots shows anything. It can be hit and miss unless I am able to assess every bit of surface area.

Hey @Carmen Ray congratulations on your harvest. Seems like some super valuable lessons have been learned!

I gotta agree with the lazymeter and I think it would be a good contest between a few of us :rofl: Your journal and super awesome pictures don't seem to reinforce this theory though, looking forward to seeing your next grow whenever that may be! 🙏:cheer: :green_heart:

Back
Top Bottom