Those look like grub worms that we treat here with milky spore, a powder that is spread over the lawn. The grubs ingest it and die, releasing even more of it into surrounding soil for their compatriots to enjoy as well.
They are indeed grub worms from the Christmas Beetle, which is a scarab. I read a bout milky spore earlier. I also read some kind of nematode. Unfortunately it cost thousands of ZAR so not an option at all. It's cheaper to start again with fresh soil.
Nice on your harvest Carmen! I’d say the Barney’s Farm seeds were some good genetics after all that SK went through and still delivered you some quality smoke.
It’s going to get easier every time for you now.:bravo:
Thank you Nev! Next time I grow the Skywalker OG I will do two at the same time so that I don't encounter another height issue.
Where the heck did those come from? I've only seen those in outside plants in the ground.
The potting soil I mixed in to make it go further probably.... damn. I didn't think that through properly.

Think I remember something about some used soil from a kale plant was added to the mix.
Brassica, cabbage family plants attract lots of white butterflies, which lay eggs. May have attracted something else that left them grubs.
Yes, I did add some potting soil to the mix. real bummer.

Fyi aphids come first, then the ants, the ants come for the honey dew the aphids crap out.
Some aphids can fly

Them ant traps are just borax & sugar paste , you can buy borax (20 mule team in the soap aisle)5-10% mixed with powdered sugar & sprinkle outside or mix & make liquid & put in bottle caps

If you blend potting soil into your mix aren't you diluting the nutrient content of the designed soil?
Yes but I then amended it with the Essential Blend, that goes with thee Orgasoilux. Both pots received the same soil mix, so I am interested to see the Red Russian's roots at the end. I'll toss this soil and get new soil.

Fyi aphids come first, then the ants, the ants come for the honey dew the aphids crap out.
Some aphids can fly

Them ant traps are just borax & sugar paste , you can buy borax (20 mule team in the soap aisle)5-10% mixed with powdered sugar & sprinkle outside or mix & make liquid & put in bottle caps
I've learnt different. Here is an article that describes the symbiotic relationship between ant and aphid: "When the colony departs one nest site to form another at a new location, they will carry an aphid egg with them, to establish a new herd and maintain their resources."

My ant traps are filled with Sodium Cacodylate, which is a different salt from Borax. I find the traps tremendously effective and convenient. They are round plastic containers with slits in them where the ants enter. The bottle caps is a good idea. Thanks.

Sunday 19th February Update
  1. I have recorded all the flower days incorrectly since flower day 1. I have corrected the figures in my own notes. The update today reflects the correct number of flower days.
  2. Skywalker Kush is harvested.
  3. Red Russian is still drinking 1 L per day.
  4. With the possible exception of the first photo, the colors of these photos of the RR XXL Auto are inaccurate. The first one was taken without a flash and the others were taken with flash.
Screenshot (379).png

DSC_1905.jpg
DSC_1919-Edit.jpg
DSC_1920-Edit.jpg
DSC_1921-Edit.jpg
DSC_1923-Edit.jpg
DSC_1924-Edit.jpg
DSC_1925-Edit.jpg
DSC_1926-Edit.jpg

I took some more pics this morning to try to get a more accurate color representation. Why have the sugar leaves gone crisp and yellow in places? Is this something I can try to balance in the final couple of weeks of flowering?

DSC_1928-Edit.jpg
DSC_1929-Edit.jpg
DSC_1933-Edit.jpg
DSC_1945-Edit.jpg

I'm not seeing crisp and yellow (except at the edges) but I wouldn't try to chase a fix at this point with your soil.
Thank you Shed. I thought they were defective but then I googled a bit and discovered that it is not uncommon for sugar leaves to go yellow like the fans close to the end. Is there a way to prevent it next time around do you think? It doesn't look that nice.
SkyWalker Kush done, RR XXL is closing in and looking delicious. :drool:

What do you have planed for your next drop. It’s getting closer now for sure.
Thanks Nev. I am likely going to do two Barneys Skywalker OG. I think it is better to do two the same rather than struggle with height issues again. When they are on a swick it is not easy to raise or lower them on piles of books.
I am just a bit Indica heavy here, which is fine but I need something light and uplifting while I work too. I've got enough to get me through to the next harvest I think, I hope :passitleft:

Tuesday February 21 Update

Red Russian XXL Auto bud development pics. There are still quite a few white pistils. The chunks are rock hard. This grow is definitely an improvement on my first auto grow last year! The plant is 67 days old, which is 9.5 weeks. Victory Seeds give an indoor grow 7 / 8 weeks, and an outdoor grow of 10 / 11 weeks, seed to harvest. I reckon there's another week / week and a half to go here. I want to make sure that there is quite a bit of amber this time. I want this stuff to knock me out and keep me asleep.
These are natural light pics taken on a tripod with a slow exposure, so colour is more accurate.
DSC_1955-Edit.jpg
DSC_1956-Edit.jpg
DSC_1958-Edit.jpg
DSC_1961-Edit.jpg

Oh my gosh Carmen, congratulations on your harvest of the Skywalker Kush🥳🥳, and for the smoke report. I’m happy you enjoyed it, what method of curing will you use?
I always have issues with aphids and ants when I grow my corn outside in the raised beds. I’m happy everyone was able to give you good advice DE works wonders i’ve heard. I use dawn dish soap and a few other things but I suppose we can’t dunk the buds in soapy water, i’ll be at a loss when it comes time for me to deal with pests 😅i’ll be taking notes. I have seen similar grubs as well… i pick them out and leave them for the birds and usually get new soil as well.

The RR is looking nice and deliciously plump💕.

I reckon there's another week / week and a half to go here. I want to make sure that there is quite a bit of amber this time. I want this stuff to knock me out and keep me asleep.
When it's time, you might want to try harvesting most of it but leaving some on for another week or two, or until it gives up the ghost on its own.

CBN is what you're looking for and the later the harvest the better.

She's chunking up nicely! Looks like some time left. Nice choice for the next grow!
Thanks Otter! :high-five:
She's a pretty girl Carmen! :Rasta:
Thanks GDB! :hippy:
She’s filling out beautiful Carmen! I bet she’s going to kick like a mule and bite like a crocodile. Put you in a good sleep girlie!
:passitleft:
Yes, that's what I'm after zzz :passitleft:
what method of curing will you use?
Thank you CH. I keep it simple. I don't measure with hygrometers as it is for personal use and I have always just gone by rule of thumb. When the the main stem snaps easily, they are ready to jar. In this instance, the buds were snipped off the main stem. and the flowers were very small so I reduced the amount of time I left them drying on a cake cooler in a dark cupboard. I usually hang, but there wasn't anything to hang lol. I know by feel and look more or less when they are ready and I put them in glass jars. The first night or two I leave the jar open, Thereafter I open the jar for a few minutes every day for about a week and then I'll seal to cure. 🌸
When it's time, you might want to try harvesting most of it but leaving some on for another week or two, or until it gives up the ghost on its own.
I will play this by ear most likely. I must buy gloves!
CBN is what you're looking for and the later the harvest the better.
Right now I am not sure how I am going to cut these plants to harvest them. The structure is not something I am familiar with. I'm sure there will be buds that remain behind here and there for converting to CBN. I'll give that some thought. I wonder how these branches will hang to dry.... 🤔

Thank you CH. I keep it simple. I don't measure with hygrometers as it is for personal use and I have always just gone by rule of thumb. When the the main stem snaps easily, they are ready to jar. In this instance, the buds were snipped off the main stem. and the flowers were very small so I reduced the amount of time I left them drying on a cake cooler in a dark cupboard. I usually hang, but there wasn't anything to hang lol. I know by feel and look more or less when they are ready and I put them in glass jars. The first night or two I leave the jar open, Thereafter I open the jar for a few minutes every day for about a week and then I'll seal to cure. 🌸
@CrochetingHybrids I forgot to mention that I use the 62 % Bovedas to jar them up with, sorry.

Yes but I then amended it with the Essential Blend, that goes with thee Orgasoilux. Both pots received the same soil mix, so I am interested to see the Red Russian's roots at the end. I'll toss this soil and get new soil.

I've learnt different. Here is an article that describes the symbiotic relationship between ant and aphid: "When the colony departs one nest site to form another at a new location, they will carry an aphid egg with them, to establish a new herd and maintain their resources."

My ant traps are filled with Sodium Cacodylate, which is a different salt from Borax. I find the traps tremendously effective and convenient. They are round plastic containers with slits in them where the ants enter. The bottle caps is a good idea. Thanks.
You can also make a pretty effective poison ☠️ with boric acid and pancake syrup. They take it back to the nest and it kills the queen 🤴. CL🍀

Back
Top Bottom