Winging It In Winter By The Window: Soil Auto Grow

I'm sure Jon can translate their table into PPFD if that's what the Photone app gives you!

No worries at all! If it wasn't yourd it was going to be the next two posts either way. If I was paying attention to the post numbers I would have bumped to the next page. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Actually we don't have to. Phototone gives you ppfd, DLI, or LUX with a swipe of the screen. Use whatever is most comfortable for you!

the Photone app
It gives readings in whatever measurement you select, so I can choose ppfd, lux or dli. There are conversion calculators on the net too. Pretty cool.
Actually we don't have to. Phototone gives you ppfd, DLI, or LUX with a swipe of the screen. Use whatever is most comfortable for you!
snap :)

Taking readings of a different kind today. I am trying to figure out how my electric bill will be affected by this light. I took a reading of normal use over a 24 hour period and it was 7 units (I presume kilowatts?). Yesterday I did a reading before turning on the light to compare the number of units used in a 24 hour period with the light on. It used 14 units, which is double the electricity used in a day. I did bake bread today which would have contributed to the electricity use for this 24 hour period, so I will measure again for another 24 hours to get a true sense of how much juice is being used and what it will cost me. I am penny pinching as usual. Double is scary.

IMG_20220501_191042.jpg

Hi, Carmen!
Hey, I was reading over your plans for growing- using the window light during the day, LED at night, etc...
I just want to let you know that anytime there's glass between the sun and the seedling, the seedling will stretch like crazy- not so much when they get a little older (3 weeks or so) but when they first sprout- so, to avoid really leggy seedlings, I suggest you use a light on them for the first 3 weeks or so- instead of depending on the sun- it doesn't have to be your big grow light- a couple of 9watt LED bulbs about 6-8cm above the sprout(s) will keep her nice n short, and it'll also help keep the node spacing nice n tight.
It's pretty much "step 1" in the effort to keep the plants a manageable size...and it saves a little bit of electricity in the process... :)
Just a suggestion...
Another alternative is to just sit the seedlings outside the window during the day, but I don't know if that would work for you-

Taking readings of a different kind today. I am trying to figure out how my electric bill will be affected by this light. I took a reading of normal use over a 24 hour period and it was 7 units (I presume kilowatts?). Yesterday I did a reading before turning on the light to compare the number of units used in a 24 hour period with the light on. It used 14 units, which is double the electricity used in a day. I did bake bread today which would have contributed to the electricity use for this 24 hour period, so I will measure again for another 24 hours to get a true sense of how much juice is being used and what it will cost me. I am penny pinching as usual. Double is scary.

IMG_20220501_191042.jpg
Hi @Carmen Ray - totally understand the penny pinching thing, we're all in that position to one extent or another. Let me set your mind at ease. It is literally as far from possible as could be that this light will DOUBLE your electric bill. They simply don't draw nearly that much juice. You're only lighting up (what, 10 watt?) little LEDs, and even though the Bestva's are among the least efficient lights you can get (any blurple, it's not personal, lol) there's no way on this earth it will come close to doubling your bill. My two blurples running all the time in my first grow pulled more juice than your Bestvas do now and my electric bill increased by like $20/month MAX. The AC units are what kills me.

Hi @Carmen Ray - totally understand the penny pinching thing, we're all in that position to one extent or another. Let me set your mind at ease. It is literally as far from possible as could be that this light will DOUBLE your electric bill. They simply don't draw nearly that much juice. You're only lighting up (what, 10 watt?) little LEDs, and even though the Bestva's are among the least efficient lights you can get (any blurple, it's not personal, lol) there's no way on this earth it will come close to doubling your bill. My two blurples running all the time in my first grow pulled more juice than your Bestvas do now and my electric bill increased by like $20/month MAX. The AC units are what kills me.
Thanks Jon. I'm not sure mine is a blurple. It doesn't have a purple color. I thought it was a full spectrum LED but what I know about lighting is embarrassing. The friend who gave it to me is visiting today so I will chat about it with them too. As I say, I did bake bread and I also remembered I ran 2 loads of laundry during that 24 hour period. I will check again this evening for a more accurate reading. I can turn off my geyser to compensate somewhat. I should be doing that anyway to save juice. I can imagine the AC unit's load, which is why I am doing this without heating! :)

I have to second what Jon said.

Part of the problem in calculating might be the methodology youve employed. My buddy J and I figured out his pretty quick and he had solar feed in.

Easiest way is to move from daily to a week. Youll get a way more accurate number as it will average a bit closer. The reason is usage is usually cyclical, we tend to be pattern and routine orientated in our use.

So heres my recommendation.

Take your previous bills. I would be almost certain that season to season, quarter year to quarter year shifts around a bit. The best bill would be the one for the season your in now from last year.

It should give you kwh (kilowatt hours) usage. Take that number, and divide by the days in the bill period.

So for example
91 days for April to June quarter.
Bill total kwh 300.

300÷91 = 3.29 kwh per day avg.
3.297 x 7 = 23.079 kwh per week.
But just a little rounding is 23 kwh per week.

Now you have a number that should be useful to track against.
And you can do any costings just by using your bill charge per kwh.

The alternative is to use whatever youve been using vs turning on the additional load. Just pick a time frame, a week is good, a fortnight better, and then compare.

No doubt in my mind that breadmaker will have skewed your daily, especially in tandem with a wash or 2.

move from daily to a week.
DV you're right, it makes a lot of sense. Here where I live we have a prepaid token system and so I don't see a bill, but I do see the meter reading and can make comparisons over different periods of time. I usually recharge once a month, so I put in extra this month and hope that gets me through. I will only really know when I have to recharge over the same period, cuz the lights are on now like it or not lol. It will be costly if that runs out and I have to charge again.

My Caramel King is up today yay yay yay!

DSC_6864-Edit.JPG

DSC_6876-Edit.JPG

Congrats on the emergence, Carmen!

It's been fun catching up here. You are getting LOTS of great advice!

Every issue I had planned to comment on has already been addressed. (I was especially concerned about the pucks sitting on top of the soil. Glad you undid that!)

So all I have to offer is my 2 cents on seedling watering gadgets. I often use a drinking water bottle with a single small hole poked in the top (the smaller the better).
IMG_4720.jpg

That hole is a bit larger than ideal!

It's been fun catching up here. You are getting LOTS of great advice!

Every issue I had planned to comment on has already been addressed. (I was especially concerned about the pucks sitting on top of the soil. Glad you undid that!)

So all I have to offer is my 2 cents on seedling watering gadgets. I often use a drinking water bottle with a single small hole poked in the top (the smaller the better).
IMG_4720.jpg

That's what he said.
:laugh:

I did bake bread today which would have contributed to the electricity use for this 24 hour period
Your electric oven uses a lot more wattage than your light, as does your dryer, so you definitely need to measure on a day that no other big draws are happening.
You're only lighting up (what, 10 watt?) little LEDs,
200 watts is 200 watts! That's what the driver pulls.

Congrats on the sprout!

Your electric oven uses a lot more wattage than your light, as does your dryer, so you definitely need to measure on a day that no other big draws are happening.

Congrats on the sprout!

Not exactly. 200 watts divided into 20 10-watt LEDs that the usual blurples use is far less efficient than 200 watts divided into 1 and 3-watt Samsung LEDs.

Not exactly. 200 watts divided into 20 10-watt LEDs that the usual blurples use is far less efficient than 200 watts divided into 1 and 3-watt Samsung LEDs.
Well, it's being divided into 448 LEDs, and from the pic of the light in operation near the beginning of the thread they're definitely not blurple.

Well, it's being divided into 448 LEDs, and from the pic of the light in operation near the beginning of the thread they're definitely not blurple.
Thanks @Melville Hobbes, I missed that picture. I should have looked at the light online. I thought it was roughly the same as the Maxsisun 1200 watt blurple I'm using. Sure, that's a different scenario, and I am by no means ragging on the use of blurples or the Bestvas. I'm using a blurple now! You can grow great weed with even the oldest of blurples if it's still in good shape. But the overall point in terms of efficiency still holds, obviously.

Carmen is concerned about her electric bill. The efficiency of the LEDs doesn't play a part in that. Only the wattage draw of the driver.
Thanks @InTheShed. Yes, you're right, I get it. And In that respect you are 100% correct. I thought we were just expanding the discussion a bit. See my response to Mr. Melville. Lol.

Thanks GDB! Also, your water bottle looks nice and simple too. I might give that a try if I can make a small enough hole. You're right I have some excellent support here and I feel very fortunate in that regard. Thanks for being here to encourage and advise.
expanding the discussion a bit
Please feel free and do so Jon :) It may take me a while to get up to speed with light science and electrical consumption lol
Congrats on the sprout!
Thank you Shed! Exciting times :)
I still don't know how to do the maths :rofl:
I am due to check the electric meter in 40 minutes and today there has been nothing on except stove for coffee, the geyser and the light.
definitely not blurple
Thank you Melville :thanks:

You guys are the best :green_heart:

Back
Top Bottom