Wood and Tunes Northern Lights Special Soil/Passive Hydro Grow

:thanks: Doc....going to try it just like ya posted and document it....paper towel method is all i know and has worked in past but really need to perfect a way to grow good seeds every time....can't afford to kill anymore....I defiantly fried them looked this morning and they look cooked...have them on new heating pad and monitoring heat....this morning was steady 75.....so today will try to bring that temp to steady 80 and start a bunch of bag seeds and run some test with root riot and paper towel and peat moss...will get pics and info documented on my other journal....appreciate info...that might be new way of I germinate from now on...safe ...no room for operate error :smokin:

Well Maybe I think we shoukd start a new journal. I been using the paper towel method for 25 years Doc, and my seeds seem to break out in 24 to 36 hours so it does work, just have to have the right temp. Doc if you scroll back you'll see it does work. And I'd care to wager that 95% of the people use this method. You just have to have rite temp. That wood Be like 10 dergee over the ambeint temp. Which where I come from, is like 80 degree's. Unless you like it colder. Matter of personal choice. But 78-85 degrees is perfect. Seeds seem to crack and tap root shows in matter of a day or so. Tunes I think we found the problem. And we will fix that the next grow. I think maybe we'll get those seeds you talked about next order. They will be fine. Shoot that heating pad and watch more TV JK. A PC tower will work too. Just something that feels warm to the touch. I know you got it figgured out now so maybe we'll just kill this journal, and start afresh. What ya think? Srry to hear your misfourtune with the NL seed. But mark my words, the TV method works, rather well. AS is shown
NL19.JPG

Norhtern Lites Take #1

OMM I did she said hey to you in return. Thx for looking in on this journal. We are still gettiing the bugs ironed out but I have 100% faith they are now. Stay tuned for Tunes is on the rebound watch out!!!!!!!!!

Well Maybe I think we shoukd start a new journal. I been using the paper towel method for 25 years Doc, and my seeds seem to break out in 24 to 36 hours so it does work, just have to have the right temp. Doc if you scroll back you'll see it does work. And I'd care to wager that 95% of the people use this method. You just have to have rite temp. That wood Be like 10 dergee over the ambeint temp. Which where I come from, is like 80 degree's. Unless you like it colder. Matter of personal choice. But 78-85 degrees is perfect. Seeds seem to crack and tap root shows in matter of a day or so. Tunes I think we found the problem. And we will fix that the next grow. I think maybe we'll get those seeds you talked about next order. They will be fine. Shoot that heating pad and watch more TV JK. A PC tower will work too. Just something that feels warm to the touch. I know you got it figgured out now so maybe we'll just kill this journal, and start afresh. What ya think? Srry to hear your misfourtune with the NL seed. But mark my words, the TV method works, rather well. AS is shown
NL19.JPG

Norhtern Lites Take #1

Hey bro.....I know it works. It seems everyone uses the paper towel method.
And, I'm not trying to teach you anything.....you know ten times what I do. I'm posting this more to try to learn.

It seems to me that seeds are so expensive, you want each one to germinate. That dictates a method like the paper towel, where you can see the action, so to speak. I'm cool with that, and there are thousands of people who successfully use it each and everyday.

My outdoor grower buddy, who's got about 30 years of experience put it to me like this:

1.)You don't want to stress the plant. The most critical stage is germination, the next is early flowering. Screw up there, and you have weak plants that don't live up to their genetic potential, or hermie, etc. Therefore, try to eliminate :

Letting the roots see light
transplanting
changing the environment.

So, sprout seeds in the same or similar medium they will grow in, in such a way that they are easily up-canned at the appropriate time.

2.)You only want to grow strong plants, you don't want to nurse weak ones along. This idea is at odds with expensive seeds.

So, he recommends planting lots of seeds, in the environment they are going to grow in, and keeping only the strongest ones. Soak 10, plant the ones that sink, of the ones that sprout and grow, keep the number of females you want and obviously pick the strongest ones.

It's expensive to "waste" all those seeds, unless you either make your own, or find a source for cheaper seeds. I got a screamin' deal from one of our sponsors...PM me if you want the details.

I'm just spoutin' theory here....I'm totally lacking in experience, but it just makes sense...in theory. I wouldn't have said anything about it, but I just watched Tunes BBQ a few seeds.....

(you guys get to watch me try my theory in a few weeks...should be interesting....)

:peace:

LOL @ BBQ seeds ...i have....but heating pad i have used since i started growing simply shit the bed....i have new root riots also some peat moss and bag seed so will do all three methods....and monitor heat which is not moving with new heating pad...it is steady 80....and on paper towel method i will limit light to tap roots and hopefully lower stress they might go threw in very important stage....cause we all hate hermies ....I also dont like to stress out seed having to U turn in medium ....so maybe with root riot that wont be a factor...guess i will do 2 or 3 of each just save 3 fastest healthiest after couple weeks...what i dont like about bagseed is they could hermie depending on how the plant was seeded...so gamble I dont think i will be taking if i have good genetics like i already do have going....so might just kill all the plants that grow from bag seed test......Appreciate the confident there brother grower Wood...I always do bounce back...so will from this...have already fixed issue....and smoked a couple more bowls :cool:
And yes we will start new journal if a Moderate could please move this to dead journals section :thanks:

And :thanks: all for input and we will see you in our other journals :peace:

This is what my outdoor buddy does:

1.)soak a bunch of seeds in water till they sink
2.)Plant them an inch deep in a red plastic cup, using a good soil mix for seedlings.
3.)Put 'em under the lights. (or outside)
4.)Keep the strong ones.

You could always just plant them in a RootRiot cube, or a cup of good soil and be done with it......

My buddy hates the paper towell method, because he says roots should not see light, neither should they be handled.

I'm gonna start my seeds the way I mention above.....I'll let the lights give them the right temps, and I'll put a piece or plastic wrap over the cup for humidity.

I just plant them directly in the pot and water lightly until they sprout. If they don't sprout, I just plant another one, but my germination rate thus far has been 100% with the seeds I made.

I really don't understand the need to germinate differently than how it happens naturally.

I just plant them directly in the pot and water lightly until they sprout. If they don't sprout, I just plant another one, but my germination rate thus far has been 100% with the seeds I made.

I really don't understand the need to germinate differently than how it happens naturally.

I agree wit' you bro! The only thing is planting a little baby in a great big pot leaves it vulnerable to overwatering.....but you know how to deal with that.

All I can say is what I know. I've never had a problem with my seeds growing. You are rite seeds are costy if you buy from vender and thats bout all I do anymore, I don't want to waste space on males or take chance on pollenating other plants in the other rooms. Or waste space on males. I been doing this for 25years and once roots appear, I seldom lose any. Whats really nice is the seeds tap root I can place heading straight down instead of it having to turn around at it's youngest stage besides there is nothing worse that having a plant with a kink in its main food supply. Weather you can see it or not, the tap root seems to work best when its got a 'striaght' pipe line to suck up water and nert's. Its might be fun to take some garbage seed I got and plant one right side up and the other upside down and see. But really right now I don't have time or space to waste on that little experiment, But to each its own. Thx for the comments dude. All good. Like you said we all can learn from others. Stay Down. Yes Moderater Can you move this to dead files. We'll start another soon as we both get new stock THX

All I can say is what I know. I've never had a problem with my seeds growing. You are rite seeds are costy if you buy from vender and thats bout all I do anymore, I don't want to waste space on males or take chance on pollenating other plants in the other rooms. Or waste space on males. I been doing this for 25years and once roots appear, I seldom lose any. Whats really nice is the seeds tap root I can place heading straight down instead of it having to turn around at it's youngest stage besides there is nothing worse that having a plant with a kink in its main food supply. Weather you can see it or not, the tap root seems to work best when its got a 'striaght' pipe line to suck up water and nert's. Its might be fun to take some garbage seed I got and plant one right side up and the other upside down and see. But really right now I don't have time or space to waste on that little experiment, But to each its own. Thx for the comments dude. All good. Like you said we all can learn from others. Stay Down. Yes Moderater Can you move this to dead files. We'll start another soon as we both get new stock THX

I think like you do Wood. In the long run each seed pays you back, even if they cost you 10 to 15 each the per seed payback is great. laters

seed_2.gif

I believe seedlings do better when the root has to make that single bend downwards.

it also helps in getting the husk rubbed off as the seedling breaks ground.

but yeah, to each his own, and you've been successful for a long time with your method, so I'm not debating your experience, just discussing the issue

Well i never knew that...i would think it would be opposite...but just recently i have ben able to look into a seed that never popped and tap was at point end and was curled....so would need to turn around ......I think trick with paper towel is some wait till 1/4 -1/2 inch tap shows and all thats left in shell is feeder leaves so straight root will continue to grow straight down ...cause all of tap it out of shell. Cool pic by the way SS and that helps cause i always did it with tap peeking out and placed down in medium...Doh!

i just came across ur journal and im gonna b watching this cuz im doin soil and a b doin a dwc my next grow and im interested in how this is gonna turn out so ill definitely b checkin on this grow :popcorn:................. well i just read that its over oooops!!!

First Grow - Hawgs Kush- Information Appreciated

Heres where i am at....Out with the old...
IMG_10561.JPG

In with the new....
IMG_10572.JPG

In dome is steady 80
IMG_10692.JPG

Same in between two plates steady 80 for hours now
IMG_10611.JPG

Cups same story ...nice steady 80...god i love when things go smooth :surf:
IMG_10632.JPG

this cup has 4 seeds that are on bottom so two into clean paper towels in between plates and two go Point up 1/4 inch down of root riot
IMG_10661.JPG

clones :grinjoint:
IMG_10621.JPG

Be sure to check out our ongoing grows in our signatures :peace:

Well i never knew that...i would think it would be opposite...but just recently i have ben able to look into a seed that never popped and tap was at point end and was curled....so would need to turn around ......I think trick with paper towel is some wait till 1/4 -1/2 inch tap shows and all thats left in shell is feeder leaves so straight root will continue to grow straight down ...cause all of tap it out of shell. Cool pic by the way SS and that helps cause i always did it with tap peeking out and placed down in medium...Doh!

It's not intuitive to plant them so that the tap root goes up first, and I used to plant my seeds sideways because I thought I'd split the difference since I'd heard lots of arguments on both sides of tap root up versus down.

Honestly, I've had 100% germination rates planting them sideways with the seeds from my first grow, partly because I have hundreds of seeds to choose from so it's easy to choose winners, but I also had more seedlings that would sprout with the seed husk stuck on, and I think that stresses a seedling at a critical time.

They'll germinate in any position if the conditions are right, but I think what happens the first two hours after they break ground can affect the final yield, so anything that helps, ummmmmm, helps ;).

That pic pertains to seeds planted directly in soil, but I think it might apply to seeds germinated outside soil if you caught them soon after they split or with a really short tap root.

That pic you put is ever so true, I think you don't really understand when I germinate seed I let the tap root grow to about 1/4-3/8 of a inch. By this time the tap root is heading the correct way. Heres a pic a posted earlier, these seeds needed another 5 hours or so before I planted. The one on the left has finnished its curl. The next seed I start I'll show you when I plant mine. Fresh seeds sure do give a nice success rate. real viable seed. The seeds I been getting from Holand, I've only had like 8 seeds in the last yr not grow. And % were from the same order. Gl yall with your grows.
2_more_hours.JPG

Like I said these went for another 5-6 hours on my TV top.

Honestly, I've had 100% germination rates planting them sideways with the seeds from my first grow, partly because I have hundreds of seeds to choose from so it's easy to choose winners, but I also had more seedlings that would sprout with the seed husk stuck on, and I think that stresses a seedling at a critical time.
:cheer: :peace:

We're moving your journal to our completed forum; so sorry for your seed loss.

Really good discussion about orientation and planting strategy; very intersting.

Best wishes on your next work ;)

Peace and love from 420 Magazine :surf:

Back
Top Bottom