Xlr8's Psychedelic Bloom Party Extravaganza

re: Xlr8's Psychedelic Bloom Party Extravaganza

well since I just learned what "REPS" are, I figured its the least I could do, LOL.

:thanks: for the reps, 420ramrod!!

maybe you'll get that black cherry soda pheno, then it would be fem seed and clonetastic time:thumb:

Hi BID! I keep/kept a cutting of everything in case I like it, then discard the ones I can live without. The black cherry soda pheno does sound yummy! Thanks for stopping by. :)

Very nice X. I have never tried Humboldt, but I have over-indulged in Yumboldt and Yumboldt x ak47 which are both fantastic. The Pineapple Express looks good too. If it is anything like Pineapple Chunk, another one of my favorites, it will surely be great. I can't wait to see these mature.

Hey Brother!

Not sure if there are any similarities honestly as far as Yumboldt/Humboldt, but the description and the breeder pics sure looked good, so I thought I'd give it a try. If it's anywhere as good as it smells, I'll be thrilled!

Good to know on the Pineapple Chunk, I have a seed or two of that saved for a future grow. I believe that one has "Cheese" in it too.

I can't wait to see these mature, too - I don't remember ever being this excited about a grow...

Thanks for dropping by, hopefully business is good! :)

Just wanted to catch up and see what ya got going on over here. Looks like I was right ontime for a pic too. Cool. They are looking great there dude. You asked me which variant of cheese I was growing, it's straight cheese. I tried that Exodus Cheese but she died I think. I know I never got her in. Hard to rememeber all the different strians I've lost over the years. Funny thing tho, is I can rememeber almost all the plants I've grown out completely. I see ya gt the Humboldt growing. I grew some Yumboldt-47 abit back. Not sure how close they are geneticly but I will say it was a great plant. Had a smell, spicy like seasonings, that has been about the strongest smell I've had in the garden in along time.
Sounds like Vantage cloning there with that Bubba. I don't do alot of cloning but it's sure nice to have a strain that does it so well. Looking great there my friend Rep's +++
and Keepem Green

This Humboldt smells sweet with a hint of jasmine. Very intoxicating. Yes, the Bubba never wilted - even a little - when cloning. Never missed a beat. Starting to veg up a little already, and the flower/trichomes are giving way to some wonky veg growth that I'm sure will normalize with a little time. Still looking very healthy. Thanks for dropping by my friend, and I appreciate the reps!

The Humboldt looks dank! Ive seen some great looking bud from Humboldt County such as previously mentioned yumboldt, and I'm pretty sure train wreck originates in Humboldt as well. Top of the line genetics no doubt

they are holy crap frosted!!!! i have the trichs growing the stems on my blue mystic & blue cheese that's crazy like the first time i saw em on the underside of the leaves, just a givin nowadays it looks amazing in here x!!!:thumb:

:thanks: BID!

The Vortex is really frosting up. Looks like it will be a small yielding plant, based on the way it's budding (think a bush with many nuggets, and few "colas"). I expected this, and it's pretty much how it's described by Subcool.

BUT, it is hella frosty. The leaves, stems, buds... all sugar coated, and the leaf edges are curling up from the amount of trichomes. I'm really stoked to see these gals fatten up! I hope to get some more pics tomorrow. :)

Wow them plants are covered in snow so early! Gona be a epic finish X

Thanks JBC! :thanks:

I don't know about epic, but I'm sure thrilled to see them to maturity! :)

I appreciate you following along, and I also want to commend you on the quality of your posts, and the effort you make to help some of the newer growers here - really good stuff!

:thumb:

I'll be very interested in seeing how that flowering Bubba Kush clone turns out. :)

Hi Inkdot!

It's doing great - a little wonky looking, as flowering clones tend to be as they start reverting to veg... but good and healthy. It may take a while to turn it around to veg fully, as upon closer inspection, some of the newer growth has a fair amount of trichomes on it.

I'll try to remember to throw up a new picture of it now and then. :)

The Humboldt looks dank! Ive seen some great looking bud from Humboldt County such as previously mentioned yumboldt, and I'm pretty sure train wreck originates in Humboldt as well. Top of the line genetics no doubt

Hi Shrute! :welcome:

Thanks for the props on the Humboldt. My wife and I love the Humboldt county area, and you are correct that there are some very excellent genetics that originate from that area. My love for "Humboldt county" bud was part of trying the strain, as much of my favorite bud has Humboldt (county) origins.

Probably the best bud I've ever had was some Purple Erkle, grown in Humboldt county. Until then, I had no idea bud could have such amazing flavor and aroma. I'm still not sure if I over-romanticize it, but I feel like I've still not grown anything quite as good as that Humboldt grown Erkle, though I'm pretty proud of how close I've come a few times... :)

Appreciate you dropping by, hope you stick around to the finish!

Something I haven't discussed much, but I feel may be worth noting... These are a few thoughts on Relative Humidity (RH):

We all know that keeping RH low in flower is good, right? Typically, I suggest to newer growers that they keep the relative humidity (RH) below 50% in flower if possible. At a minimum, below 60%. Anything above that is asking for mold problems. Also, it should be noted that the sub-canopy itself can form micro-climates, with much higher humidity than may be measured higher up in the canopy. For this reason, I keep multiple hygrometers in my grow area, at varying levels of the canopy.

Are there benefits to even lower RH?

I've read in several places that lower RH in bloom can result in increased resin production in bloom (more trichomes... it's a good thing!) I am meticulous about tracking and measuring things in my grow, in order to draw conclusions from the impact these things have. I have to say, I really believe low RH is a key in improving/increasing trichome development. Put simply: The longer I grow, the lower I let (encourage, help) the RH get in bloom, and the more I see improvements in trichome development.

To be fair, this isn't scientific. I've made other changes over time too, that may be partially responsible. No doubt, and I mean this earnestly, I've seen better trichome production since switching to Blue Planet Nutrients. There are other variables, too, such as adding an MH bulb for increased spectrum (this round), and the strains I'm growing. So, maybe it's a gut feeling to an extent - and clearly there are other contributing factors, but I really believe there is something to this idea of low RH equaling greater trichome development.

How low is my RH? I have tried to keep it between 30-40% in the past, but have been keeping it between 20-35% this round. It's gotten as low as 15% at times. I do feel like I've seen faster, heavier, trichome development as a result of the drier air. While it's not scientific, I did want to share it, as perhaps others have seen this correlation. I don't think this is breaking new ground, as this is a belief held by many others as well. But, it's not something I've discussed much, and I do think it makes a difference. I use a dehumidifier when nature wants to work against me in this regard, btw. A regular circulating fan can help a lot with lowering RH, too.

Also, I think some newer growers especially might not realize that our plants can thrive with dryer conditions like this, as long as temps and other factors are in line. I often see newer growers concerned that the low RH conditions are the root cause of whatever problem they are facing, but I've never had a problem with unhealthy plants, even in veg, with low RH conditions. While super low RH isn't ideal in veg, it isn't a death sentence either. If anything, it seems to slow a vegging plant, but not make it sick (in my experience). Blooming plants, however, love the lower RH in my experience, and reward with trichomes.

Side note: The drier air also seems to make odor control a bit easier...

This is just my personal experience and anecdotal observations. I would love to hear feedback from others in this regard - what have you seen? Does this make sense, or am I making a wrong leap here? Let me know your thoughts if you have them!

One important note: I think that the lower RH is probably easier to do with hydro due to frequent waterings and access to water on demand. There are probably many more dangers to lower RH in soil, mostly due to watering requirements and moisture needs in the soil. Also, plants seem to be a little more nutrient sensitive in lower RH conditions, and may not tolerate huge PPM's as well - or as bright of light intensity.

Thanks JBC! :thanks:

I don't know about epic, but I'm sure thrilled to see them to maturity! :)

I appreciate you following along, and I also want to commend you on the quality of your posts, and the effort you make to help some of the newer growers here - really good stuff!

Thanks Xlr8 ,
That means a lot coming from you mate :) I follow all the great growers on here but just read all of them and learn from you guys as I'm still a rookie. Plus I dont know my hydro. I help where I can with the noob soil like my own , cheers mate. Hope to be as good as you guys soon :thumb:

Great post X!
I'm so glad you touched upon this, as I have been approaching my current grow with the same emphasis on lower RH's in flower.
I never really stressed out about RH too much in my recent grows, but with the current mold issues in my area, I wanted to stay on top of my RH til the end this round.
Since just putting 5 little manual dehumidifiers inside the tent, has brought by RH down from 65% to a perfect 40%. I just empty water daily and refill silica when needed. Then having a cheapo plug in dehumidifier in the room the tent is in, just in case actual room RH gets too high.

I will add this, that I have noticed a huge difference in trichome production with this round over the last.
And after reading your post, you have confirmed a lot of things for me. All of which will continue to be implemented in my future grows.

So thank you my friend!

Seems I was onto something after all!!
:high-five:

:thumb:Reps are in order!:cheesygrinsmiley:

:thanks: Hozona!

Great post X!
I'm so glad you touched upon this, as I have been approaching my current grow with the same emphasis on lower RH's in flower.
I never really stressed out about RH too much in my recent grows, but with the current mold issues in my area, I wanted to stay on top of my RH til the end this round.
Since just putting 5 little manual dehumidifiers inside the tent, has brought by RH down from 65% to a perfect 40%. I just empty water daily and refill silica when needed. Then having a cheapo plug in dehumidifier in the room the tent is in, just in case actual room RH gets too high.

I will add this, that I have noticed a huge difference in trichome production with this round over the last.
And after reading your post, you have confirmed a lot of things for me. All of which will continue to be implemented in my future grows.

So thank you my friend!

Seems I was onto something after all!!
:high-five:

Thanks a ton, Vick! I often have pretty good success controlling RH by using a dehumidifier near where my intake air comes from. But, I also have a small unit I can put in the tent, too. I try to put it in the lower part of the canopy on a riser or something, where the little humid micro-climates can develop within the foliage, so to speak. 40% is great in bloom - I'm playing around a bit with slightly lower RH yet to help test my hunch a bit. Please see my thoughts below regarding soil, also...

Great post X. Good to know about Blue Planet nutrients as I am trying them this new grow. Somehow I am blessed with 50% RH. That said I will observe closer now!

Hey Spring - :thanks:

50% should be within the good/safe range for bloom, assuming it's not getting much higher within the canopy/foliage. If my hunch and observations are correct, lowering your RH a bit more might help promote even greater trichome production, especially in the latter stages of bloom.

One important note: I think that the lower RH is probably easier to do with hydro due to frequent waterings and access to water on demand. There are probably many more dangers to lower RH in soil, mostly due to watering requirements and moisture needs in the soil. Also, plants seem to be a little more nutrient sensitive in lower RH conditions, and may not tolerate huge PPM's as well - or as bright of light intensity. (I added this to the post above, too)

Great post X! I've also seen people make it through cloning and veg with lower rh and no problems. Do you like to bring it down gradually, or just as low as you can from the flip? I'm sending you "mental" reps because I have to spread some around:bravo:

Yeah curious to how your rh is during veg. This is the first time I've actually took readings on my veg side and I've noticed (especially with the heater on) the relative humidty being wayy low. Actually lower than my flower side. The veg side is between 35-45 (at its highest right after feedings). And the flower side runs between 45-55.

Edit. Oh and sent ya some long over due reps Xlr8!!

One important note: I think that the lower RH is probably easier to do with hydro due to frequent waterings and access to water on demand. There are probably many more dangers to lower RH in soil, mostly due to watering requirements and moisture needs in the soil. Also, plants seem to be a little more nutrient sensitive in lower RH conditions, and may not tolerate huge PPM's as well - or as bright of light intensity. (I added this to the post above, too)

This is exactly why I wouldn't want to go much lower than 40% in Coco/Soil.
Especially using CO2 as well. I'd be using up nutes like crazy, and watering pretty much everyday!
But very excited to see your findings on super low RH in RDWC's flowering.;)
You could be onto something though X.
Your "hunches" usually end up being breakthroughs anyway..

Great post X! I've also seen people make it through cloning and veg with lower rh and no problems. Do you like to bring it down gradually, or just as low as you can from the flip? I'm sending you "mental" reps because I have to spread some around:bravo:

This is just my thinking here, based on observation, not something I've studied up on extensively...

Personally, I'd probably prefer to let it be a little higher until mid-late flower (30-40%), then lowest toward the very end to really bring the trichs out. But, certain times of year I just let the dryness be what it is (if I don't feel like it's too high), as I hate the extra work of adding moisture to the air, and it's something you obviously have to be careful doing as moisture attracts mold and bugs. This time of year, it's hard for me to keep it above 35% even if I wanted to. I'd guess it probably has some affect on yield when it gets below 30% regularly during bloom. In a perfect world (just my version of it), I'd probably try to keep it at around 30-35% for most of bloom, and try dropping it even lower, if possible, the last week or so.

Mostly, I wanted to share that I think the dry environment contributes to trichome production, and that I don't think it's a plant killer or problem to have low RH if your temps and environment are fine otherwise. I used to think you would kill your plants or stop them in their tracks with low RH like this, but I know better now. I still see a lot of newer growers blame problems on low RH, when it's probably something else.

Like I mentioned, the lower RH may have some impact on growth/yield if it's too low or too prolonged. It also might be dicey with soil or drain to waste plants that don't have constant access to water like active hydro systems. This is where goals matter a bit, too. I'm okay losing a little yield for better trichome production, since I'm just supplying my own needs. I still want nice yield, but from a priority standpoint, my goals might be different than some growers.

Oh, and thanks for the mental reps, I'll take 'em! :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom