Xlr8's Psychedelic Bloom Party Extravaganza

re: Xlr8's Psychedelic Bloom Party Extravaganza

great journal xlr8 i'm subbed and +rep. if you have a chance please check out my journal would love to have your expert advice on my grow:thanks:

Hi Ronnie - just posted in your journal. Thanks for the kind words, the invite and the reps! :thanks:

Hey X, Got Trychs? Im interested in your little tidbit, im running the same lineup this round:)

Thanks for asking, Jon - wondered if anyone would! :high-five:

Whenever I added the "Root Magic" (mycos) to my reservoir, I ended up with a pretty prolific amount of gunk. So, not wanting to give up, I tried a different approach. What I did was added a small "flush" right before my reservoir changes in veg and transition (night before).

The flush consisted of (2) 5 gallon buckets with 1/4 strength nutrients, mycos powder (Root Magic), and Seaweed. I "top" poured these into the hydro buckets in between "floods". Then, I let the system run over night as normal before finally changing the reservoir the next day.

Now, when I do the reservoir change, I'm not adding the mycos (Root Magic), and I AM using DM "Zone". Just using the Root Magic between res. changes as outlined above. Keep in mind I'm only growing a handful of plants, so you'd need to scale up for a larger grow space.

Some of this is a little uncharted territory (mixing Zone and Root Magic in the grow, and my method of application), but I did see the healthiest looking roots I've ever had while following this program. This was the first grow I did this way. I have since used the same protocol for my vegging plants, and I have NO doubt that the Root Magic helped. In fact, there was a period that I was on the fence about the root health of a couple of plants, until I added this process to the veg hydro unit. They ended up rebounding so positively that I feel like there could be no other explanation but that the top down flush feed of mycos between res changes truly helped! It was truly remarkable how sparkly white and healthy they became after adding Root Magic this way...

Let me know if I didn't explain any of that properly, or if you have other questions! :)

hey X im curious about the edges of your leaves on the pre 98 bubba and the vortex
is it what i think it is that thick?
if it is how do you do it man i mean seriously:thumb:

Whenever I added the "Root Magic" (mycos) to my reservoir, I ended up with a pretty prolific amount of gunk. Me ALSO! I am just using it for transplants at the present moment and have flushed with PH'd RO water and H2O2 when I flushed...roots looking much betterSo, not wanting to give up, I tried a different approach. What I did was added a small "flush" right before my reservoir changes in veg and transition (night before).

Now, when I do the reservoir change, I'm not adding the mycos (Root Magic), and I AM using DM "Zone". I'll have to try that

Some of this is a little uncharted territory Most of it is for me!(mixing Zone and Root Magic in the grow, and my method of application), but I did see the healthiest looking roots I've ever had while following this program.
Let me know if I didn't explain any of that properly, or if you have other questions! :)
:thanks:Will do so! :cheesygrinsmiley:
:tokin:

Whenever I added the "Root Magic" (mycos) to my reservoir, I ended up with a pretty prolific amount of gunk. So, not wanting to give up, I tried a different approach. What I did was added a small "flush" right before my reservoir changes in veg and transition (night before).

The flush consisted of (2) 5 gallon buckets with 1/4 strength nutrients, mycos powder (Root Magic), and Seaweed. I "top" poured these into the hydro buckets in between "floods". Then, I let the system run over night as normal before finally changing the reservoir the next day.

Now, when I do the reservoir change, I'm not adding the mycos (Root Magic), and I AM using DM "Zone". Just using the Root Magic between res. changes as outlined above. Keep in mind I'm only growing a handful of plants, so you'd need to scale up for a larger grow space.

Some of this is a little uncharted territory (mixing Zone and Root Magic in the grow, and my method of application), but I did see the healthiest looking roots I've ever had while following this program. This was the first grow I did this way. I have since used the same protocol for my vegging plants, and I have NO doubt that the Root Magic helped. In fact, there was a period that I was on the fence about the root health of a couple of plants, until I added this process to the veg hydro unit. They ended up rebounding so positively that I feel like there could be no other explanation but that the top down flush feed of mycos between res changes truly helped! It was truly remarkable how sparkly white and healthy they became after adding Root Magic this way...

Thats a great bit of info X reps if I can this soon lol..I added all the required amount of root magic to a couple gallons of warm water and mixed it several times over a 3 hour period and its seems to have desolved kinda, theres still some powder in the bottom of the res.Im going to keep an eye on it, im also running sensizym im hoping this will take care of any gunk build up but if it doesnt I ll try your method. Its going to be a pain in the ass though with my set up but it is what it is:)

Absolutley amazing photos! Even though not as mature as the rest the Pre98 Bubba Kush looks very beautiful.
What every one else said about the plants. Stunning!!
:bravo:

Your plants look amazing as always X... Oh so frosty.

It seems that regardless of the genetics, you will undoubtedly turn out some amazing meds. Hats off to you bro for all the knowledge you sling around the site. Can't wait to see some NOTM entries that come out of this round... I know you'll have a few to choose from!

Hey X regarding your post a couple posts ago, I've heard everyone with a hydro system talking about "zone". I'm not familiar at all with this it's just an additive that helps maintain a clean resovoirs or what? How important is it thruout? I have none right now but I'm sensing I should get some ASAP? Is it bad if I run my res without until I get some or should I wait til I have it to run the flo n gro? Appreciate any help! And others if you know answers I'd appreciate it!!

Lookin awesome as usual X! +reps if it let's me.

Hey X regarding your post a couple posts ago, I've heard everyone with a hydro system talking about "zone". I'm not familiar at all with this it's just an additive that helps maintain a clean resovoirs or what? How important is it thruout? I have none right now but I'm sensing I should get some ASAP? Is it bad if I run my res without until I get some or should I wait til I have it to run the flo n gro? Appreciate any help! And others if you know answers I'd appreciate it!!

I started using Dutch Masters' Zone a few weeks ago. It's called a "root conditioner", but I think of it as more of a system cleaner. It's a chlorine based product, but that's about all I know for sure. Alaskan1 recommended it to me, and I'm liking it so far. I add it everytime I change the res, along with some H2O2. I add more H2O2 in between res changes, and so far so good. I just posted some root pics this morning. They are looking great!

Before you add it to your res though, I would have to ask, what problem are you trying to resolve by adding it? Is it merely preventative? I started using it when I thought I was developing root rot. Mine was very early stage, so my grow wasn't really affected. What else are you running? Is it a bucket system like the Flo&Grow or Ebb&Gro?

Yes hiker just finally completed the new grow room and now on my first night of running the Titan flo n grow. As far as the zone thing I'm just trying to prevent any issues. As a first time flood n drain system user I'm sure ill have some regardless. Just trying to minimize the problems as much as possible.

I'm running BPN 2 part hi yield system btw nothing else at the moment. Getting the zone stuff soon I'm thinking

Yes hiker just finally completed the new grow room and now on my first night of running the Titan flo n grow. As far as the zone thing I'm just trying to prevent any issues. As a first time flood n drain system user I'm sure ill have some regardless. Just trying to minimize the problems as much as possible.

I'm running BPN 2 part hi yield system btw nothing else at the moment. Getting the zone stuff soon I'm thinking

Ah OK. This is my first run in my new grow room, but I did use an Ebb & Gro back in the 90s. Back then we didn't have as many products available. We used peroxide and bleach straight from the grocery store. The DM Zone is pretty much a better/safer version of the bleach. I think it has more than just diluted bleach. At least I hope I'm not just buying overpriced bleach LOL

I briefly tried using a beneficial bacteria tea, but it didn't work for me. I went back to sterile and never looked back. The only thing I'm still unsure of is the interaction between the H2O2 and Zone with the enzymes in Hygrozyme or the other similar products. I've heard that the H2O2 can damage the enzymes, but I've also heard it's OK to use all three products together. I know the enzymes aren't living, so there is no risk of "killing enzymes", but I don't know if the H2O2 or Zone will do anything to the enzymes. What I've been doing is adding the H2O2 and Zone when I change the res and then add the Hygrozyme a day or two later. I've been told I don't need to wait, but I'm uneasy about that still. I'm not sure how I can convince myself it's safe to mix the three products right away. All I know for sure is, my roots look awesome now! :)

Sorry for rambling on your thread Xlr8 :Namaste:

Good post! So basically your saying I should get said zone and just apply it when I change my res? How often do you change your res? I am planning on every weekend but I know ill miss one one of these days but I heard every 2 weeks is ok as well.

Good post! So basically your saying I should get said zone and just apply it when I change my res? How often do you change your res? I am planning on every weekend but I know ill miss one one of these days but I heard every 2 weeks is ok as well.

Exactly right. I change mine every 7-10 days, but it can go 14 sometimes. I've changed it after 5 days once due to a root issue I wanted to address (this was when I switched back to sterile).

The instructions on DM Zone say to use when changing res. I think their recommendation is every week, but they are in the business of selling you the stuff to that goes into the res. :winkyface:

I haven't done it yet, but I did consider adding more Zone around day 6 or 7 if I'm planning to let the res go longer than a week. I do add more H2O2 every few days. The Zone and the Hygrozyme are both new to me, so I'm still learning how to use them best.

*****************************************************************************************************

On a slightly different, and yet related, note, Xlr8, could you come look at my journal? I'm having a problem with a single plant and wondered if you had any advice.

Looking awesome as always X.

hey X im curious about the edges of your leaves on the pre 98 bubba and the vortex
is it what i think it is that thick?
if it is how do you do it man i mean seriously:thumb:

Hi Chronic -

The edges are curling up where the trichomes get really thick. No special thing I do - aside from just keeping them as healthy and happy as possible. I'm sure much/most of it's genetics - but I do think that there are some other factors. For example, it seems to me that lower RH contributes to greater trichome production, and I've let the RH get and stay pretty low through much of bloom. Though, low humidity can have negative effects too, like reduced yield or stalled growth. The Vortex was about as sticky and covered in trichomes as anything I've seen, though the buds were small overall.

Your plants look amazing as always X... Oh so frosty.

It seems that regardless of the genetics, you will undoubtedly turn out some amazing meds. Hats off to you bro for all the knowledge you sling around the site. Can't wait to see some NOTM entries that come out of this round... I know you'll have a few to choose from!

Thanks Doctor Dread -

There should definitely be some really nice nugs from this round - though I've had my moment in the sun for NOTM so I'll probably not enter anything. I have much admiration for your plants, too - I appreciate the really kind words brother!

Lookin awesome as usual X! +reps if it let's me.

I started using Dutch Masters' Zone a few weeks ago. It's called a "root conditioner", but I think of it as more of a system cleaner. It's a chlorine based product, but that's about all I know for sure. Alaskan1 recommended it to me, and I'm liking it so far. I add it everytime I change the res, along with some H2O2. I add more H2O2 in between res changes, and so far so good. I just posted some root pics this morning. They are looking great!

Before you add it to your res though, I would have to ask, what problem are you trying to resolve by adding it? Is it merely preventative? I started using it when I thought I was developing root rot. Mine was very early stage, so my grow wasn't really affected. What else are you running? Is it a bucket system like the Flo&Grow or Ebb&Gro?

Ah OK. This is my first run in my new grow room, but I did use an Ebb & Gro back in the 90s. Back then we didn't have as many products available. We used peroxide and bleach straight from the grocery store. The DM Zone is pretty much a better/safer version of the bleach. I think it has more than just diluted bleach. At least I hope I'm not just buying overpriced bleach LOL

I briefly tried using a beneficial bacteria tea, but it didn't work for me. I went back to sterile and never looked back. The only thing I'm still unsure of is the interaction between the H2O2 and Zone with the enzymes in Hygrozyme or the other similar products. I've heard that the H2O2 can damage the enzymes, but I've also heard it's OK to use all three products together. I know the enzymes aren't living, so there is no risk of "killing enzymes", but I don't know if the H2O2 or Zone will do anything to the enzymes. What I've been doing is adding the H2O2 and Zone when I change the res and then add the Hygrozyme a day or two later. I've been told I don't need to wait, but I'm uneasy about that still. I'm not sure how I can convince myself it's safe to mix the three products right away. All I know for sure is, my roots look awesome now! :)

Sorry for rambling on your thread Xlr8 :Namaste:

Everyone has their own way of doing things, so I'll just lay out mine. Many like h2o2 as a regular additive, but I personally feel like it should be reserved primarily for emergencies. I also like hygrozyme, but not so much in conjunction with Zone or even in an active hydro system so much. Many use it that way though. As far as the h2o2, it's an indiscriminate killer - it will perform miraculously at the task of cleaning up root problems if used right, but it also leaves the roots themselves somewhat damaged and weak - leaving them more vulnerable to the same sort of stuff you were trying to get rid of. They'll look good, so it's misleading somewhat. This is part of why you'll hear some people suggest that once you use it during a grow, you may need to keep using it. It also runs it's course pretty quickly (2-3 days before it's effectiveness is seriously reduced) and requires more frequent add-ins if used as a regular additive. So, I leave it for emergency root problems as a last resort. Many others do this differently, and that's okay, this is just my take and what I do.

"Zone" is said to have some chloramines in it, but I'm not 100% sure of everything it has in its makeup. Dutch Master is notoriously secretive about what goes into their products beyond listing what they need to for legal reasons. I do know that one of the main things that makes it work is Copper (Copper Sulfate I believe). Copper is deadly to algaes, bacterias and even plants in high enough doses. But, in the right doses very effective at maintaining a healthy rootzone. Enzymes can live harmoniously with "Zone" but I don't think they are necessary to use together personally. I've only used it a couple of times in the Flo N Gro, and had a bit of a hiccup so now I just stick to "Zone" and during veg... I use Root Magic between reservoir changes. For my coco coir plants/moms, I typically use hygrozyme and Root Magic, without the Zone. Though, I've done coco coir with Zone in the past, too.

I use Zone weekly, and I believe in weekly reservoir changes. Sometimes due to "life happening" I'll stretch it to 10 days before a change, and I've gone as far as 2 weeks, but I wouldn't go 2 weeks on a regular basis personally.

My recommendation would be to keep it as simple as possible as far as root zone treatments. If you want to be "sterile" then, I still think Zone is your best bet (without hygrozyme and h2o2). Alternatively you could use beneficials like mycorrhiza with or without enzymes like hygrozyme.

Again, some of this info people have passionate feelings in other directions. But, this is where I've landed after much trial and error and watching others trial and error (and a little reading up).

Hiker, thanks for sharing what's working for you. I appreciate you weighing in. I hope you don't take my thoughts as being critical to your regimen, as far as h2o2... but, you might want to try just the Zone at some point to see how that works out. The other products can add a layer of complication and/or cause some other issues inadvertently so that's something to consider as well.

Please let me know if I missed anything or if something needs more illumination. :)

Back
Top Bottom