Bomb Seeds Detonation Time! - 420 Magazine Sponsor Grow & Review - Indoor UDWC LED

Re: Bomb Seeds Detonation Time! - 420 Magazine Sponsor Grow & Review — Indoor UDWC L

This. I use 8-bulb T5s for veg

Like I mentioned, I blew my budget months ago for this grow. I sold my 'better half' on the money-saving concept of growing my own meds. Well, my argument has been getting weaker with every delivery & every trip to Home Despot. On the plus side, I have gotten my spouse to join me over the last month and this is her first usage since the early 70s. I am experimenting with strains to relieve her anxiety. She had her first sativa last night with good success.

Ian

Re: Bomb Seeds Detonation Time! - 420 Magazine Sponsor Grow & Review — Indoor UDWC L

Like I mentioned, I blew my budget months ago for this grow. I sold my 'better half' on the money-saving concept of growing my own meds. Well, my argument has been getting weaker with every delivery & every trip to Home Despot. On the plus side, I have gotten my spouse to join me over the last month and this is her first usage since the early 70s. I am experimenting with strains to relieve her anxiety. She had her first sativa last night with good success.

Ian
It's all about long term savings! The first grow is always the most expensive. Your next grows will cost MUCH less!

newty, MustgVagabond, bignstrange . . . glad to have you all along. Thank you.

Ian

Day 3

So, I didn't kill them overnight. I bit the bullet and transplanted them into the tent last night. It was amazing to see a nice healthy root popping out of the bottom of the roto rooter with both seeds! Here is this morning's pics:

day3-ice.jpg

day3-berry.jpg

And this is where they live now. The space is even useful for hanging up laundry. :cool:

setup122.jpg

Ian

Ian

Sorry, wasn't paying attention...I'm better now. :thumb:

LOL! If my wife knew how much I spent at Home Depot just to build my grow area...I wouldn't be here. :cheesygrinsmiley:

The babies look good in their new house.

I measured mine today and its 32" above the plants, Mars Pro II Epistar 160. ppfd is around 350 umols in the center dropping off to 275 umols at the edges. The babies are loving it.

Since I have the same lamp, I set it around the same height last night. The surface temperature is 80 without forced ventilation. (My new fan controller died & as I wait for a replacement I am keeping the banshee silenced as much as I can).

It's all about long term savings! The first grow is always the most expensive. Your next grows will cost MUCH less!

That's what I keep telling her. Of course, I haven't mentioned the sieve screens, the bubble bags, a rosin press and the fact that the kitchen will become a trimming station in a few months.

Ian

LOL! If my wife knew how much I spent at Home Depot just to build my grow area...I wouldn’t be here. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I can't hide it. My wife is retired & she seems to check the balances daily. :hmmmm:

Ian

I can't hide it. My wife is retired & she seems to check the balances daily. :hmmmm:

Ian

Yeah, I was exaggerating...I get beat up all the time.

Re: Bomb Seeds Detonation Time! - 420 Magazine Sponsor Grow & Review - Indoor UDWC L

Bahahahahahahaha you guys are hilarious and I'm in the same boat with my hubby! Lol same argument of saving money long term and than also taking over the whole house. Lol . I save my allowance money too..

Re: Bomb Seeds Detonation Time! - 420 Magazine Sponsor Grow & Review - Indoor UDWC L

Bahahahahahahaha you guys are hilarious and I'm in the same boat with my hubby! Lol same argument of saving money long term and than also taking over the whole house. Lol . I save my allowance money too..
We gotta pick our battles, right? Lol!!!.

That ice bomb is super exciting, I haven't been able to get my hands on it, each time I went to buy it it was sold out XD

I'm glad I get to see it run, seeing those little seedlings is getting me revved up! You must be pretty happy Ian!

Found you :)

Good. Welcome Deville. Pull up a chair and try not to laugh at me (much). :smokin:

Ian

Day 4

The Bomb cousins are doing well. No real upward growth which should mean the roots are building.

day433.jpg

The system is working well.

Ian

I must apologize. I broke forum protocol by not listing all of the grow particulars in my first post. But since this is a grow and a review I think I can get away with it.

The Grow System

After studying every possible small grow method, I decided that a DIY Undercurrent Deep Water Culture system would work best for me. Soil and I just don't get along. I have never been successful with any gardens in the past. I believe that the weeds, insects, birds, and animals have all conspired against me in my endeavors. Sure, I could use soil inside but . . . it's dirt and well . . . it's dirty. I know what would happen. A recirculating hydroponic system seemed to offer the best potential.

My goal was to maximize the grow space as well as maintain a fairly large volume of water. My past experience with large fish tanks convinced me long ago that a large volume of water stays more stable for longer than a small one. In my poking around the net and here on 420 (the BEST resource btw), I saw a lot of great build options.

I decided that in my small grow space — a 2ft x 4ft tent — a multiple pail system would be limiting and unnecessary. With two large totes, I could have more root space than four buckets. An external reservoir would allow the best use of the tent space and a three tote system would also simplify the plumbing.

So . . .

fittings4.jpg

Water: 2 x 12 gallon (45L) totes in the tent with a 17 gallon (64L) reserve outside. Combined they hold 117 liters (31 US gallons) of water at a 1" level below the pot bottom. A 250 gph pump circulates the water starting with 2" flow lines from the rez reducing to ½" after the second grow tank.

I will be using city water. It has a measured pH of 8.1. I have it knocked down to 6. A simple 2 stage filter gets rid of the chloramines. Hardness is 0.354 EC or 236 ppm on the 700 scale after filtering. I hemmed and hawed on water but I just had nowhere to install an RO unit (and no money left for one either). I brought a cold water line beside the grow by tapping off of a toilet in an adjacent room (this plumbing attempt leaked & leaked cause I truly suck at soldering so a big shout out to Sharkbite). A drain was just not possible though. I will empty the totes when I have to with a submersible pump that I had on hand and a garden hose. It only takes minutes. With this water volume I shouldn't need constant water changes anyway — I hope.

Air: All tanks have 2 x 12" air stones fed by a 6 outlet 793 gph air pump. You may have noticed in my picture in a previous post that I have suspended this demon from hell in the air with an old bungee cord. Can you guess why? The pump does the job very well though. Even at 3" down from the pots, the bubbles were easily hitting the baskets.

Ventilation: 4" exhaust fan with filter. Intake will be via lower tent vents — not fan-forced yet but I am open to it. Air circulation inside with the ubiquitous cheap clip-on fan.

Lighting: Mars-Hydro Epistar 160 LED. Minimum Par in the grow zone (the spec that really matters imho) is very good & should be more than sufficient for this grow.

Tent: 2 x 4 x 6 Mars-Hydro tent. Nice and sturdy and it is full.

Ian

Outstanding! That’s a very nice system. You definitely put some thought and work into it. LOL I keep a few Sharkbites around the shop. They are a lifesaver. Just a guess, but your air pump is probably vibrating on the floor and making a lovely, soothing noise huh? I use gel pads as a cushion. It’s recommend to have them higher than the water level anyway unless you use check valves. Mine are on the floor. :goodjob:

Sorry, wasn't paying attention...I'm better now. :thumb:

LOL! If my wife knew how much I spent at Home Depot just to build my grow area...I wouldn't be here. :cheesygrinsmiley:

The babies look good in their new house.
Yeah, i too have some budgetary secrets buried in the backyard... in the proximity of the shed area.

I must apologize. I broke forum protocol by not listing all of the grow particulars in my first post. But since this is a grow and a review I think I can get away with it.

The Grow System

After studying every possible small grow method, I decided that a DIY Undercurrent Deep Water Culture system would work best for me. Soil and I just don't get along. I have never been successful with any gardens in the past. I believe that the weeds, insects, birds, and animals have all conspired against me in my endeavors. Sure, I could use soil inside but . . . it's dirt and well . . . it's dirty. I know what would happen. A recirculating hydroponic system seemed to offer the best potential.

My goal was to maximize the grow space as well as maintain a fairly large volume of water. My past experience with large fish tanks convinced me long ago that a large volume of water stays more stable for longer than a small one. In my poking around the net and here on 420 (the BEST resource btw), I saw a lot of great build options.

I decided that in my small grow space — a 2ft x 4ft tent — a multiple pail system would be limiting and unnecessary. With two large totes, I could have more root space than four buckets. An external reservoir would allow the best use of the tent space and a three tote system would also simplify the plumbing.

So . . .

fittings4.jpg

Water: 2 x 12 gallon (45L) totes in the tent with a 17 gallon (64L) reserve outside. Combined they hold 117 liters (31 US gallons) of water at a 1" level below the pot bottom. A 250 gph pump circulates the water starting with 2" flow lines from the rez reducing to ½" after the second grow tank.

I will be using city water. It has a measured pH of 8.1. I have it knocked down to 6. A simple 2 stage filter gets rid of the chloramines. Hardness is 0.354 EC or 236 ppm on the 700 scale after filtering. I hemmed and hawed on water but I just had nowhere to install an RO unit (and no money left for one either). I brought a cold water line beside the grow by tapping off of a toilet in an adjacent room (this plumbing attempt leaked & leaked cause I truly suck at soldering so a big shout out to Sharkbite). A drain was just not possible though. I will empty the totes when I have to with a submersible pump that I had on hand and a garden hose. It only takes minutes. With this water volume I shouldn't need constant water changes anyway — I hope.

Air: All tanks have 2 x 12" air stones fed by a 6 outlet 793 gph air pump. You may have noticed in my picture in a previous post that I have suspended this demon from hell in the air with an old bungee cord. Can you guess why? The pump does the job very well though. Even at 3" down from the pots, the bubbles were easily hitting the baskets.

Ventilation: 4" exhaust fan with filter. Intake will be via lower tent vents — not fan-forced yet but I am open to it. Air circulation inside with the ubiquitous cheap clip-on fan.

Lighting: Mars-Hydro Epistar 160 LED. Minimum Par in the grow zone (the spec that really matters imho) is very good & should be more than sufficient for this grow.

Tent: 2 x 4 x 6 Mars-Hydro tent. Nice and sturdy and it is full.

Ian
I run a RDWC too. I started with a General Hydro Rainforest system, but it arrived busted, so i made it a DWC out of necessity. Since then I've added another and linked them. The picture shows the system as it sits now... vacant, but it should be up by the weekend. I use Black Dog lights, and im trying an LEC. Nevermind about the picture... i guess i dont have permission. Enough about me, let's hear it for Ian.

Back
Top Bottom