Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

A little advise please from all of you more experienced HB kit growers. My grow is coming along nicely, and I did the first cationic drench this last Saturday. But the indica strains I am growing (CBD Critical Cure and Darkstar) are not doing quite as well as my sativa dominant strain (Blue Dream). The indica plants are starting to show some yellowing and darker discoloration of the fan leaves. Here are a couple of pictures showing that:

untitled-4228.jpg

untitled-4229.jpg

And here is a picture of one of my Blue Dream plants:

untitled-4234.jpg

Does anyone have any advise to improve the indicas? I am starting to wonder if these plants might be ones that would be considered salt loving plants, and could use some of the other treatments Doc has that might help them out. Or would those products be better used earlier than half way through bloom? Just not sure what the best thing to do would be. Any suggestions or appreciated!

Aight, so my grow is coming upon 2 of the kits additions. I am real close to bud set for Cat. This also puts me close for the scratching of Recharge. Can Cat and Recharge be done on the same day? Buds are forming but not what I call set yet, but close. If I wait that would put Recharge into week 5 of bloom.

Should I add Recharge with my feeding which is 2.5 weeks of bloom?

Sure go ahead and add it anytime about now.

A little advise please from all of you more experienced HB kit growers. My grow is coming along nicely, and I did the first cationic drench this last Saturday. But the indica strains I am growing (CBD Critical Cure and Darkstar) are not doing quite as well as my sativa dominant strain (Blue Dream). The indica plants are starting to show some yellowing and darker discoloration of the fan leaves. Here are a couple of pictures showing that:

untitled-4228.jpg

untitled-4229.jpg

And here is a picture of one of my Blue Dream plants:

untitled-4234.jpg

Does anyone have any advise to improve the indicas? I am starting to wonder if these plants might be ones that would be considered salt loving plants, and could use some of the other treatments Doc has that might help them out. Or would those products be better used earlier than half way through bloom? Just not sure what the best thing to do would be. Any suggestions or appreciated!

Rescue Drench!

hi doc and hb gang. The plants that need the rescue drench, what would you guys do to prevent the yellowing next time? If you grew out the same strain? is this what the blood meal and epsoms are fixing? is this signs of a heavy eater? :thanks:

hi doc and hb gang. The plants that need the rescue drench, what would you guys do to prevent the yellowing next time? If you grew out the same strain? is this what the blood meal and epsoms are fixing? is this signs of a heavy eater? :thanks:

The mid-bloom fade has 2 causes that are related:

1. Soil energy goes flat due to under feeding the first 2 weeks of bloom
2. Strain features inefficient root system that responds to high salts.

Blood meal and Epsoms are designed for these "salt lovers." Most strains don't need it! Just feed a bit more early in bloom.

I was just thinking ahead to my next run of my Jock Horror clone. Soil energy dropped during the second week of flower. At the same time, I installed a new, more powerful LED. I was super busy and not giving her the attention she deserves, and attributed the unhealthy leaves to the light being too close. Doc saw chlorosis and recommended a Super Drench, Epsom salt, top dress with some EWC, and spray with Destress. So, I'll be skipping the 2nd Cat Drench.

I was wondering if she was a heavy eater also (probably not, I'm sure I just missed something). Everything seemed fine until buds just started to set. I'm not worried. I know Doc is leading me on a path to buds I'll be showing off to my friends. Just starting to wonder what I can do better since I have a clone of her in veg ready to take her place.

So... mistakes I've made so far:

Let her get a little Nitrogen deficient in early veg
Need to improve watering technique (wet/dry cycles) in veg
Hung light too low during veg
Snipped off a main top while pruning (dumb fark)
Hung light too low during flower
Let soil energy get too low during flower

These are only the ones I'm aware of.

I cannot wait to get a third shot at her since my clone isn't starting off with the best environment. I'm hoping by my third run, I'll have my environment dialed in better. I have some ideas that I've been chewing on and I have plenty of hardware to make adjustments where needed.

Great news! I Got my 150W LED the other day. I went ahead and harvested my wonder woman early because she was suffering. Anyway I transplanted the White widow to flower after I hung my light and cleaned the room. That light only raises my cabinets temp by 1 degree... yep thats right... 1 degree!! Amazing!! So now my cab temps and humidity are more controllable buy adjusting my exhaust fan speed. I even turned the fan down quite a bit and its still nice and cool. What do you guys think? can adjust temp 79-81 easily humidity is around 50%. The only down side still is my night time temps only drop to 75-76 and humidity last night was 67% Do these perimeters sound expectable for some midgrade DBHB? Which would still be better than anything I have ever smoked I'm sure.

Great news! I Got my Platinum LED P150 the other day. I went ahead and harvested my wonder woman early because she was suffering. Anyway I transplanted the White widow to flower after I hung my light and cleaned the room. That light only raises my cabinets temp by 1 degree... yep thats right... 1 degree!! Amazing!! So now my cab temps and humidity are more controllable buy adjusting my exhaust fan speed. I even turned the fan down quite a bit and its still nice and cool. What do you guys think? can adjust temp 79-81 easily humidity is around 50%. The only down side still is my night time temps only drop to 75-76 and humidity last night was 67% Do these perimeters sound expectable for some midgrade DBHB? Which would still be better than anything I have ever smoked I'm sure.

You'll be OK under those parameters. I'd grow something sativa dominant and tropical with those numbers.

Hey everyone, first of all I want to thank everyone who has ever posted on this forum and especially Doc for everything you do (and of course the kit), this truly is an awesome community. I'm new to the kit and running a perpetual harvest in 2 tents. 2 girls are flip+22 days (recharge and castings at 18) and 2 girls are flip+8. Everything has been going smoothly until last couple days. Please take a look and let me know if you have any suggestions for what's going on. I was wondering if I should top dress some epsom salts? How do I know if a particular strain needs epsoms? All are due for brix spray, but holding off until I get some advice. Thanks again!!

Strawberry Cough - Flip + 22 DAYS. 1st Cat Drench yesterday - 7ml cat/2ml tea - 2 gal. RO. Fading yellow quite a bit. Some leaves are burned, I removed those. Some others are yellowing severely at the edges.
IMG_76357.JPG
IMG_76367.JPG
IMG_76374.JPG
IMG_76415.JPG
IMG_76404.JPG

Trainwreck - Flip + 22 DAYS. 1st cat drench yesterday - 7ml cat/2ml tea - 2 gal. RO. Yellowing edges (you'll notice some funky 3 leaf fans too).
IMG_76385.JPG

Amherst Sour Diesel - Flip + 8 days. Drenched yesterday - 7ml GE/2ml tea - 1.5 gal. RO - Yellowing edges and in middle of leaves.
IMG_76395.JPG
IMG_76425.JPG
IMG_76435.JPG

Thanks in advance for any assistance and everything you guys do!! (sorry my pics came out sideways, I'll get it right next time!!!:grinjoint:)

Hello Doc. My name is Budd. I am interested in the Almighty Doc Buds High Brix Kit.

I have an interesting question, Doc.

I've done some strain searching, looking for possible root strains for your Lemon Paki, and I've come across a few with genetics that sorta match up to the name, at least. I'd like to get a taste of more Thai strains, but they must be a true bitch to work with because they're rare. I find all sorts of strains with Thai in their heritage, but it's usually diluted down to something that's unrecognizable as a Thai. The few that seem true are male-leaning, hermie-prone fluffy messes. Hence the necessary "afghan" cross. But there are some strains with strong Thai influence that are still very manageable, and I think yours is probably one of them.

So ... I was wondering about extracting desired genetic combinations from pheno hunting with a likely strain. A couple years ago I did some work for an agricultural seed company who was introducing new genetics looking for desirable traits. Their goal was to combine genetics, but I was growing at the time, and my interest was in extracting genetics. It was fascinating work though, measuring and analyzing wildly differing phenos of wheat, holding the actual test plot plants in your hand and seeing the differences.

How long does it take to hit paydirt that way? Several generations I'm sure, but is it even likely? How many iterations before you could extract a great progenitor from the combined genes in the cross? I should research the breeders but I figure we have a lot of combined knowledge in this journal. :cheesygrinsmiley: Do genes get mixed so much that an original can't be expected to emerge again? I don't really like the idea of constantly combining genes. I'd rather work with the earlier stock, y'know? For instance, a strain like Amnesia is rather complicated but apparently quite stable. Y Griega is Amnesia x Kali Mist. Could Kali Mist be extracted from that cross through a pheno hunt?

:hmmmm::hmmmm:

I have an interesting question, Doc.

I've done some strain searching, looking for possible root strains for your Lemon Paki, and I've come across a few with genetics that sorta match up to the name, at least. I'd like to get a taste of more Thai strains, but they must be a true bitch to work with because they're rare. I find all sorts of strains with Thai in their heritage, but it's usually diluted down to something that's unrecognizable as a Thai. The few that seem true are male-leaning, hermie-prone fluffy messes. Hence the necessary "afghan" cross. But there are some strains with strong Thai influence that are still very manageable, and I think yours is probably one of them.

So ... I was wondering about extracting desired genetic combinations from pheno hunting with a likely strain. A couple years ago I did some work for an agricultural seed company who was introducing new genetics looking for desirable traits. Their goal was to combine genetics, but I was growing at the time, and my interest was in extracting genetics. It was fascinating work though, measuring and analyzing wildly differing phenos of wheat, holding the actual test plot plants in your hand and seeing the differences.

How long does it take to hit paydirt that way? Several generations I'm sure, but is it even likely? How many iterations before you could extract a great progenitor from the combined genes in the cross? I should research the breeders but I figure we have a lot of combined knowledge in this journal. :cheesygrinsmiley: Do genes get mixed so much that an original can't be expected to emerge again? I don't really like the idea of constantly combining genes. I'd rather work with the earlier stock, y'know? For instance, a strain like Amnesia is rather complicated but apparently quite stable. Y Griega is Amnesia x Kali Mist. Could Kali Mist be extracted from that cross through a pheno hunt?

:hmmmm::hmmmm:

The short answer is yes....you could cross two strains and get both parents from the seed stock.

Practically speaking, this would entail being very familiar with each parent, enough to recognize them as they grow out amongst all the permutations from the cross.

It could take hundreds of seed starts and many years of patience to find them, and you might need to use different lighting schedules to express one trait over the others, but yes, it could be done!

Need to order brix kits. Please pm me Doc Bud. Thanks

Mornin Duck, welcome to the Mag. You've found a very special spot here on the Web, lots of very good growers and even better people. We share all our knowledge and encourage participation in our quest for the perfect strain/plant! Doc Bud's journals and the rest of the DBHBB Gang's are a great place to get started with some reading. Enjoy your stay Duck,...cheers :circle-of-love: :welcome:

Back
Top Bottom