Dresney's First Grow - Organic - Indoor - GDP - Trainwreck

Re: Dresney's First Grow - Organic/Indoor - GDP, Trainwreck

Aww, you guys are great! Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. I really feel like I've found 'my people' on these boards. I'm truly grateful for being able to get to know you guys. And super thanks for the reps, they're coming back at you :;):

Mcloadie, I'm sorry to hear that your area is so strict. And even though you have to stay underground, what you're doing is equally important to what I can do. Without risk-taking pioneers like yourself, we'd all still be living under prohibition. And good luck with your cannabis cup endeavors... to be a judge there.... alas, a girl can dream! (I'd be a terrible judge because I'd just love them all so much!)

I think the chances of medical marijuana being legalized next year in my state are pretty good. We need 385,000 signatures to get the amendment on the ballot, and once that happens, I think that's all she wrote. I believe getting the petition signatures will be tougher than the ballot votes only because people fear losing anonymity. The exposure of writing down your name and address on a petition seems more scary than casting a 'yay' or 'nay' vote. I asked my mother to go to the event last night and she wouldn't because she didn't want to be open about the issue. And this is in a state with relatively relaxed marijuana punishments. Possession of up to 99 grams is a minor misdemeanor with no jail time and a fine of only $150!

That is partly the reason I decided I should start collecting signatures on my own. I think some people would feel more comfortable signing a petition discreetly rather than going to a cannabis rally. It's really weird how the stigma surrounding cannabis is still so prevalent, even though a majority of the population supports its usage. How does that happen? :scratchinghead:

Anyway, my two little sproutlings are still chugging upwards. I've been singing to them while I practice the guitar, and I think they're really digging it. I'm going to work on some more mylar panels at the top of my shelves today, and I'm going to cover my basement windows with the black poly side of the mylar.

Happy weed to all! :circle-of-love:

No big grow update - they're still going green and strong.

Ok, I can't resist a picture even though nothing major has changed. :laughtwo:

GDP Wee lass - 3 days since sprout
GDP101613.JPG

My Trainwreck sproutling looks the same, just a tad smaller

But here is the real reason for the update:

Lights40.JPG

I got all those lights for free from my power company! For the past couple years I've seen coupons for CFLs in with my power bill. I never really paid them any attention because I didn't like the way CFL lights looked and that they took a couple minutes to really brighten up. But after reading so much about lighting here, I decided some free CFLs couldn't hurt. I didn't get to pick or choose watts or Kelvin, but you can't beat free! I got 15 2700K CFLs - 7 18w bulbs and 8 13w bulbs. Since they're low watt, I will probably just replace all the bulbs throughout my house to counter the extra grow light costs. I think I have seen some 2700K used for flowering in a pinch, but I'm not sure these low watts would be very efficient. Either way they're going to save me some money come bill time. And like I said, they were absolutely free - I didn't even have to cover shipping. So you may want to check with your power company to see if they offer free lights or coupons for lights.

Also, I think this might be my 50th post. I feel so grown up!

Happy smoking! :circle-of-love:

I am liking my GDP and Trainwreck growth so far just hold on tight they explode

Man you let all these guys in here....:rofl: Subbed as well and Welcome to :420: grow journals. :bong:

Good Growing and I love your choice in strains, I just picked up some clones for a friend of mine that are GDB+P and Purple Trainwreck.
I also managed to get 03 Kush, Dutch Treat, Girl Scout Cookie, Purple Arrow and a Chernobyl.

:yummy::green_heart::rollit::passitleft:

Welcome, g-one-three, Growingnow and Dyold! I'm honored to have you guys join! :welcome:

I was really looking for potency when I chose my strains. I'm not well-versed in strain types, but I seem to have a naturally high tolerance to MJ and alcohol, so I was really looking for something that would... ah... make me feel like I was floating amongst the stars. :tokin: I feel like there isn't a high that is high enough, so I'm going to keep searching until I find it. Please make any strain recommendations that have done that thought justice!

Growingnow - Thanks for the heads-up. I'm okay for vertical growth - I don't mind them going as high as I can string up lights to my ceiling. Stealth isn't an issue, but I'm afraid of them getting too wide and bushy for my space - only due to coverage of my bloom lights. I really need to do some research as to what training techniques will keep my plant the healthiest and best-producing whilst keeping bushiness under control, although I must admit, I love the short, stout bushy plants. They're so pretty. (Light Addict's recent photos are what I hope to do someday, when space permits it.) And I can't wait for the growth explosion - these first few days are teeth-grinding slow!

Dyold - I do let all the guys in here! Anyone willing to give me advice or just read my rambles! :cheesygrinsmiley: I looked long and hard at Chernoyl - I've seen some absolutely jaw-dropping photos of that strain. It's definitely on my to-grow list. I'll be on the look out for your grow journal for that strain, for sure!

Hi Dresney, your seedlings are looking great, and your really getting quite the following in your journal.:thumb:
Keep up the good work.

I have some GDP X Purple Cheese beans from a breeder friend, so I'm kinda anxious to see how the GDP does. I use a couple of 2700K 18 watt cfls for side lighting in flower, mostly for the lower growth, but I plan to use lst from now on.

As for strain suggestions, I think you've made some nice choices already, any true cheese strain is pretty strong, but stinks really bad while growing. White Fire OG is some strong stuff, even though THC level is not quite 19%, hit the link below for a review.:thumb:
White Fire Marijuana Strain Review | Medical Jane

Thanks, Stealth! It means so much to me that you veterans drop by every now and then :adore:

Dank - I had the same idea for some of those 2700s. I figured I could fill in some areas on the side-growth that might not be getting as much coverage as I'd like. I'm hoping by the time flower rolls around, I'll have either a 400 or 600 watt HPS, with some 2700 CFLs going along the side for extra coverage. I've read many times that there's no such thing as too many lumens... :)

Thanks, Dank! I'll definitely look more closely at that strain. Odor isn't something I'm too concerned about - my husband said he doesn't care if our house reeks of growing plants, but I'm planning on testing his limits. :rofl: We rarely have visitors and anyone I'd let inside my house I'd most likely already told of my grow (my mom - she's the only one.)

And sheesh, tonight is the first time since my plants have been going that I've actually stayed up long enough to see the timer switch the lights to dark. (Going dark from 2am-8am.) It didn't happen until 2:18am! Now I feel like I need to wake up by 8:00am to make sure they're staying off for at least 6 hours!

I have a mechanical timer and it seems that there are only 2 lines per hour - one on the hour and one between. This 0:18 switch surprised me, but I'm not sure if I should be worried by it.

And sheesh, tonight is the first time since my plants have been going that I've actually stayed up long enough to see the timer switch the lights to dark. (Going dark from 2am-8am.) It didn't happen until 2:18am! Now I feel like I need to wake up by 8:00am to make sure they're staying off for at least 6 hours!

I have a mechanical timer and it seems that there are only 2 lines per hour - one on the hour and one between. This 0:18 switch surprised me, but I'm not sure if I should be worried by it.

Not to worry about the timer, its hard to set the old dial timers properly (I hope thats what your using). Because you use the dial to set the time its not exact by any means, but it will stay off or on for the set amount of time you want(6 hrs). I set my lights to turn off at 9am but they actually turn off at 9:12

Thanks for joining, Light Addict and Jimmy6k! So glad to have you :welcome:

Not to worry about the timer, its hard to set the old dial timers properly (I hope thats what your using). Because you use the dial to set the time its not exact by any means, but it will stay off or on for the set amount of time you want(6 hrs). I set my lights to turn off at 9am but they actually turn off at 9:12

Yep, that's exactly what I have. It was leftover from a project last year, and I was thinking about getting a flashy, new digital one, but I read that they can sometimes cause lights to flicker in dark periods and make plants go hermie. :thedoubletake: I'll stick with this old mechanical one. Thanks for the explanation - that makes perfect sense. :high-five:

Back
Top Bottom