Graytail's Cupwinners in High Brix Soil - 4x4 - 600W HPS - Perpetual

I harvested my first plant on July 18 of last year, so I now have a full year of data. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I harvested 31 plants from 15 strains, equaling 4.62 pounds.

Each plant averaged 2.38 ounces over an average of 129 days = 0.523 grams per watt average.

I yielded 0.74 grams/watt, 0.82 ounces/sqft and 250 grams/sqm.

I ran 600 watts of HPS in a 19 sqft room = 31.6 watts/sqft HPS

Next year should be better with the 540 watts of Intelligent-Gro LEDs! :slide:

High Dennise! ;)

Did I see a sticky, icky SBR on your journal, just pleading for her finish? She looked like she might be worth smoking. :yummy:

It's a Wild Thai but she is almost there... I harvested the last of the SBR... well unless the one I threw out the back door cause of spider mites reveg's. I left quite a bit on her when I chopped her cause knowing all those nasty things had been on her grossed me out.... Sooo unless it keeps on a growing the SBR days are done......:circle-of-love:

... oh

Then I need to edit my post on your journal.

(insert Emily Litella voice) Never mind

:straightface:

Hey, that's a really good-looking Wild Thailand! I should go check my jarred stuff sometime - see if it ever turned into anything worth smoking.

We're down to the last few plants for this journal - WWxSk1, Carn3 and Cotton CandyxCarnival - and I'm glad I took the pause. The bloom room is hitting the high 80s now with RH at 60+. It's primarily an intake issue - can't keep incoming temps and RH low enough. It only lasts a couple weeks but it's hell on plants that are trying to finish, just dries 'em all up.

WWxSk1 isn't at all happy about it, for instance. I caught some PM on her and took three tops, and she really looks ugly now in general, all crispy and funky. The tops should be dry in a few days, so I'll have a chance to get some test smoke before the harvest in 2 weeks or so. Brix readings were interesting and, after some reflection, educational. The first leaf I took was a nice green 5-blader and it read 23, so I tossed that one and took another, which read 22. So I got a third leaf and the camera and that one read 18/19. Last week was 15/15. I went on to get an 18/18 from Carn3 and a 15/15 from CCC, both up dramatically from last week. These were all nice healthy leaves. I think the explanation is the heat, something PeeJay has noted. While these leaves weren't dessicated in any sense, they were hot and likely had reduced fluid in them, which would skew the readings high. Be careful when interpreting readings from plants in the mid to high 80s - they'll be 20% higher. :cheesygrinsmiley:

WWxSk#1 - 99 days old - 56 days 12/12 - 45 days since pistils - brix 18/19
DSCN57452.JPG

DSCN5746.JPG

DSCN5748.JPG

DSCN57491.JPG

DSCN5751.JPG

DSCN57721.JPG

Carn3 doesn't look so great, yellowing and losing fans at an alarming rate, but Brix is good and oh my is she sticky, whew. I totally messed up my thumb and finger plucking fans. You just brush against this one and you come away sticky. It's still in a pistil stall and may remain that way if temps stay high, so I may take it early - it's due in two weeks.

Carn3 - 120 days old - 49 days 12/12 - 39 days since pistils - brix 18/18
DSCN57532.JPG

DSCN57542.JPG

DSCN57561.JPG

DSCN57583.JPG

DSCN57592.JPG

DSCN57731.JPG

Cotton Candy x Carnival is beginning to charm me. It started out looking so-so, but as it's grown it's gotten steadily prettier. We're only 12 days since pistils and it's looking pretty darned good!

CCC - 75 days old - 24 days 12/12 - 12 days since pistils - brix 15/15
DSCN57612.JPG

DSCN57623.JPG

DSCN57633.JPG

DSCN5764.JPG

DSCN57651.JPG

This Grapefruit cut was also an ugly looking child, but it's gotten better. It still looks a bit limp, but it should perk up in the bloom room. It's been under the I-Gro LED in veg for the past two weeks, and I like the way it responded - very nice and green. I'll be moving the LED panel into the bloom room in two weeks when I flip the Utopia Hazes and the Carnivals.

GF2 - 68 days old - brix 12/12
DSCN57662.JPG

DSCN57672.JPG

DSCN57682.JPG

DSCN57691.JPG

DSCN57701.JPG

The rest of the plants are covered in my new journal. I'll keep this one going through the harvest of the CCC, and then I'll sum things up and close this one. :cheesygrinsmiley:

:Namaste:

Hey Gray...you gotta fix that heat issue bro! How's the temps right now in your led rm? Love em eh!!! Id'e be pissed at those airy buds ,but like you said ...they're frosty! Gray, i was wondering after the 15 strains...over a yr....alot of learning and experience , have you got a fav. one? One other Q,...do you always use the same approach to timing your harvest ?,or do you take it one plant at a time? Know what i mean? Do you ever let a strain go longer or take one early, according to trich appearance?That's alot of produce over the yr....hats off bud! Cheers.:goodjob:

Hey Gray...you gotta fix that heat issue bro! How's the temps right now in your led rm? Love em eh!!! Id'e be pissed at those airy buds ,but like you said ...they're frosty! Gray, i was wondering after the 15 strains...over a yr....alot of learning and experience , have you got a fav. one? One other Q,...do you always use the same approach to timing your harvest ?,or do you take it one plant at a time? Know what i mean? Do you ever let a strain go longer or take one early, according to trich appearance?That's alot of produce over the yr....hats off bud! Cheers.:goodjob:

The veg room with the Intelligent-Gro II has an open front, so heat wouldn't be an issue for now, anyway. I grow in my basement and the ambient temps run in the low 70s except for the hottest part of summer when it hits the high 70s. At that point, my incoming air just can't cool enough. The LED still draws 540 watts, so I don't really expect a drop in temps in the bloom room.

I certainly do have my favorites! Until I found Carnival, Utopia Haze was the most amazing smoke I'd had in decades, and I really want another example to compare. It's the oddest high. If I smoke it first thing in the morning, I get a very, very nice, calm alert buzz, all smiley and peaceful, etc. But if I smoke it later, after I've already gotten high on something else, one hit will blow me away, like some sort of turbocharge. It's the coolest thing! And the aroma and flavor are completely different, kinda whiskey/pepper. Of the others, Jamaican Dream is just wonderful, with its cherry cough drop terpenes and it's warm happy buzz.

I tend to drag out plants until they give up on me. I always seem to let them run as long as they can still make calyxes. I run sativas and sativa doms, so the trichs aren't as important to me as they are to others. If I have doubts about a pheno, if it stalls, I'll check trichs to make sure things aren't going rapidly amber, but otherwise I don't keep a close eye. I tend to go by calyx production. At the finish, the new densely-packed calyxes are worth waiting for, even though old ones are going amber. And since I pretty much run individual plants, each one has its own schedule.

:Namaste:

Gray...sounds like we are doing alot the same except for the fact is,i can only use one small area ,big enough for two or three bigger plants. 3 crops a yr. ,with a one month (approx) overlap. I envy you being able to have a few areas to use. I like growing from seed as well. No extra room for cloning stuff.When fem. seeds started coming out ...i remember how happy i was...not having to grow them for so long and then having to toss em! Well i got the girlfriend's camera ,so after this latest drench with tea and energy ,i'l wait a couple more days then try and post some decent pics! Cheers Gray...and thanks for takin your time to answer all my Q"s bro, excellent!:high-five:

SORRY to see you are having heat issues...same thing just happened to me and ive been trying to recover for a couple weeks now.:Namaste:

That WWXSK1 is fat but def dissapointed to see her take a turn for the worse.

That CARN looks super stellar and i really like how the GF is vegging!

I know the new LED pulls almost the same watts but it would be cool if you ever did get a chance to try the panel out in the same enviro to see what diff if any it really can make!?!?! but if not ALL GOOD brotha:)

Have a great day

Nice update Gray. Good luck with the heat issues...

Gray...we grounded? Been choppin anythin yet bro? Gray,those square's your using there...how big are they? 5/6 gal's?
That one carn you got is some sweet lookin ...gonna be tasty eh! I gotta tell ya bud, since iv'e been using these led's, my life is ALOT easier! It's about 80f outside and about 78f. down where they are and i don't even look at the T,stat anymore! Fantastic! It's cool seeing the differences this time round for my MK"s. I always say i'l believe it when i see it for myself...well i'm seeing it. I believe LED lighting will continue to outperform ,outsell and surpass HID in all aspects ,of not only plant lighting ...but all commercial and industrial lighting sources.I'm seeing it in my field now Gray...it's all over the map! With me...it's always been about the heat!!!Winter was always just about perfect but summer,too hot,too expensive!Iv'e got just about everything on one circuit, and still have room,so power DOLLARS are down as well...so much so ,that i can add more LED's,ya brudda,go figure:):)I'm havin a blast with Doc's stuff as well!Fuc... ramblin,sorry.Anyhow ,you gonna ditch the HID's or what? Later ,Cheers:nomo:

LED's are more efficient, meaning more PAR, and less heat, at the same wattage. HID is way, way, hotter. Without the HPS on, and 300w actual of LED, and some significant sized CFLs, I see less than 7 degree rise over ambient, in a 4x4, with 6" inline fan for extraction. If you are at 70F ambient, I would guess that you would top out at low 80s maximum, given your extraction limitations (four inch). I'd also be interested to see if your brix readings also rise, due to more blue spectra - aiding starch production among other things.

I was hoping to see that C3 plant, CCC, do well, and she certainly is. If she finishes well, you won't have to mix up the two beforehand :) Your WiddowSkunk still looks great, and better than either of the ones I had. I pulled early and if I haven't said it 20 times already, she is a very nice smoke still. Two weeks sounds about perfect timing from what I see. She'll just darken up a bit and won't swell much more, so don't worry about the leafs - her hard work is done. Carn3 is looking serious dude. :high-five:

Even if I don't post at every update, I love each and every girl that you tend to! :circle-of-love:

Brix readings were interesting and, after some reflection, educational. The first leaf I took was a nice green 5-blader and it read 23, so I tossed that one and took another, which read 22. So I got a third leaf and the camera and that one read 18/19. Last week was 15/15. I went on to get an 18/18 from Carn3 and a 15/15 from CCC, both up dramatically from last week. These were all nice healthy leaves. I think the explanation is the heat, something PeeJay has noted. While these leaves weren't dessicated in any sense, they were hot and likely had reduced fluid in them, which would skew the readings high. Be careful when interpreting readings from plants in the mid to high 80s - they'll be 20% higher.

Something to contemplate; Gray, how were the conditions different when you were frustrated by low readings a few months back?

Thanks for the comments, everyone. :cheesygrinsmiley: :thanks:

I'm gonna do the outlet tomorrow, Duggan, and I'll take pics n all. :cheesygrinsmiley: I even had a new grounded duplex receptacle in my stash of DIY supplies, along with a genuine ground clamp - go figure! I just love boxes and drawers of old useful stuff. I bought a little four-drawer metal box at a garage/estate sale years ago - it has all sorts of interesting old crap - just perfect when you need some odd sumpin to fix sumpin. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Our heat/humidity wave passed quickly, so the bloom room is back in the safe zone for now. I've been a bit surprised at how much heat this LED panel puts out. I'm not shocked by any means - it's 540 watts after all - I expected it to be hot - but so many people are pleased at how cool their tents are with LEDs. I think it's partly the whole watt-rating confusion. Almost all LEDs are listed at full power. This one is rated at 810 watts, and yes, it's a lot cooler than a 800 watt HID would be, but it's only running at 540 watts full blast and none of that heat escapes the room. So I expected it to run almost as hot as my 600w HPS. I'll know for sure in less than two weeks. :cheesygrinsmiley: The advantage is that I'm not wasting watts beaming yellows and greens at the plants. I'm getting a lot more PAR with 10% less power.

Carnival looks like she's gonna be ok. I'm pretty sure I see signs of a swell coming, and her stems are starting to sag from the weight, and WWxSk1 is putting on weight at a rapid pace, with no sign of finishing. I took a couple pics in the room, but they really don't show the buds very well. Carnival is glittery, something I haven't seen before. The buds twinkle and flash in the light, more like glitter than typical trichs, and she's gonna puff up, heheh - can't wait. WWxSk1 is actually speeding up her calyx production and looks like she could go another month - dunno. I think it's going to have mold issues though, so I doubt it'll make it that long. Carnival is virtually immune to mold I guess - another positive for anyone who is considering running it. :cheesygrinsmiley:

WWxSk1
DSCN58242.JPG

WWxSk1 - sideways, supercropped cola
DSCN58251.JPG

A couple Carnival tops
DSCN58271.JPG

DSCN58282.JPG

I've also let my whiteflies party a bit too hearty and they've been harassing CCC, so I got out the Bug&Pest and sprayed the bloom room. I jus' love watching them scatter! They really freak out about that stuff. :laughtwo:

Back
Top Bottom