My First Time Growing

We will totally be there to help when the time comes Smokey. For me LST comes with one more node of growth than you currently have. You can gently bend the top of the plant to the side. But you must be gentle and gradual. Support the bend completely with many fingers while doing so to avoid breaking the top.

Firstly I kind of feel what I am going to bend in my fingers. If it feels bendy and flexible I proceed. If it feels stiff and like it will break I don't. I then place a fat finger under the stem to bend over and gently start rubbing the stem on the other side. It should begin to bend. I bend it to be sideways and then leave it be. It will grow back to vertical in a day and I bend it again. The key is to be gentle and patient. Some folks will tie the top down. I feel that bending every other day or so is better. It strengthens the main stemand the continual repair the plant performs due to the bending will help stunt the main growing stem until the other stems are the same height.

Bending the top will help the side branches to grow and catch up. To help out even more I will take the fan leaves that cover the side branches and tuck them under the side branches without breaking them. This allows light to get to the side branches without trauma to the plant caused by removing fan leaves. Each day I bend the fans under until the side branches have escaped the shade of the fan leaves. At this point all your growing tops will start being the same height. If any top is higher than the others just bend it down a bit and the others will grow to make it more even.

We will totally be there to help when the time comes Smokey. For me LST comes with one more node of growth than you currently have. You can gently bend the top of the plant to the side. But you must be gentle and gradual. Support the bend completely with many fingers while doing so to avoid breaking the top.

Firstly I kind of feel what I am going to bend in my fingers. If it feels bendy and flexible I proceed. If it feels stiff and like it will break I don't. I then place a fat finger under the stem to bend over and gently start rubbing the stem on the other side. It should begin to bend. I bend it to be sideways and then leave it be. It will grow back to vertical in a day and I bend it again. The key is to be gentle and patient. Some folks will tie the top down. I feel that bending every other day or so is better. It strengthens the main stemand the continual repair the plant performs due to the bending will help stunt the main growing stem until the other stems are the same height.

Bending the top will help the side branches to grow and catch up. To help out even more I will take the fan leaves that cover the side branches and tuck them under the side branches without breaking them. This allows light to get to the side branches without trauma to the plant caused by removing fan leaves. Each day I bend the fans under until the side branches have escaped the shade of the fan leaves. At this point all your growing tops will start being the same height. If any top is higher than the others just bend it down a bit and the others will grow to make it more even.
I wish i would topped or used LST on my bubble gum jeeezh this thing grow to 6ft. But some help from a few experts on here i was given the resolution to my 6ft auto problem lol.

Sent from my LGMS345 using 420

I wish i would topped or used LST on my bubble gum jeeezh this thing grow to 6ft. But some help from a few experts on here i was given the resolution to my 6ft auto problem lol.

Amazing advice. Invaluable info being passed along.. I hope this grow yields you a nice harvest of fat juicy buds...

I have serious grow height limits (plus I am a short shite meSelf)

Seriously, So I bend my tops to parallel the soil surface as much as I can. My plants tend to grow out rather than up.
Trying to get those lower branches to reach for the light, maybe someday I will get the "even Canopy" but that is what I am after with the bending.

Link----->My plant bent top over ; -)

Look like you topped her, Did you?

Thank you everyone for the information, I just didn't want to miss starting the LST on time. Now I understand now that it's not until I get a "node" (I'm not sure what a "node" is, I'm assuming it's like a knot on the stalk). As far as having topped them, I don't know what topping is and don't know if it's something I did or not.
Thanks to all of you!

Every set of branches is a "node" on the main stem.

For seedlings it is usually two branches to a node, later on they start alternating with one branch per node. So basically I meant to let one more set of branches form on your plants and start bending that central branch.

Thanks Shiggity, I understand it now. Sorry I didn't understand the terminology.

Thank you!

Approximately is a key word.... Once they have reached the age of sexual maturity (depends on the individual and growing conditions just like humans) there are clues to look for. Looking for clues is always fun. In the end you are going to know for sure when they've veged to the size you want and give them a late Summer / Autumn light schedule. Not long after that change is made you'll have scads of help spotting a male. We pounce on them like starved cats.

I just wanted to let you guys know that PeeJay had already said you guys will jump on males like a starving cat (but I was just curious how to tell the difference). So I'm sure when you can tell, those who know the difference will let me know. But I wanted to say thank you to everyone for helping me. You guys are awesome!

You'll get it bro its my first grow and i can say she's looking pretty dayamm tasty.. You'll be able to see the difference once they show there sex.. Females will show white pistils they look like white transparent hair coming from where your branchs are growing out from the stem of your plant. The males will have sacks clear difference just give them some time.. Mines showed in 4weeks

4 weeks is what you might expect from an autoflower (a plant that flowers automatically) or if your lights are on for 12 hours or less per day. You almost never find autoflower seeds in bag seed, so expect to wait until your plants are large until we start looking for male or female parts :)

. . . One other question, when do I start LST (I think that's what I read, I just wish there was a way to search just my thread) and begin bending them towards the side? I'm sure that's a way off, but just wanted to ask.

Thank you
Smokey

You can search just one thread once you open a thread.
From where you would post, scroll to the top of the page and on the right it says "Search Thread"
- Click "Search Thread", type in a word, and hit the search button. (Avoid "advanced search" you don't need that very often. :) )

Just to keep everyone up to date, I'm posting pics of my 4 plants. If I'm posting too much, please let me know. I just assumed you guys wanted to see/evaluate the plants.

IMG_20160202_111901.jpg
IMG_20160202_111944.jpg
IMG_20160202_112043.jpg
IMG_20160202_112101.jpg

#4 appears to have started growing again since the transplant, #3 is still holding on, but as you know, I could have ruined it during the transplant. #1  seem to be getting bigger.

Just let me know if I'm posting pics to often (I understand that growing is a lot of waiting)

There is no such thing as too many pictures.. It's nice to be able to look back and see progression. #1 and #2 are definitely kicking into gear. They have nice tight nodes (the space between the branch points.) Don't get in a rush to train them. Lets see what they do first. I may suggest topping between the 4th and 5th nodes and removing the branches at the first node. We count nodes from the bottom up.

We will totally be there to help when the time comes Smokey. For me LST comes with one more node of growth than you currently have.

:thumb: Or even two nodes more! Let the plant get solid and healthy first. It's going to happen quickly the way they are growing.

Congrats on MOTM, Shiggy. Well deserved!

There is no such thing as too many pictures.. It's nice to be able to look back and see progression. #1 and #2 are definitely kicking into gear. They have nice tight nodes (the space between the branch points.) Don't get in a rush to train them. Lets see what they do first. I may suggest topping between the 4th and 5th nodes and removing the branches at the first node. We count nodes from the bottom up.

Thanks again PJ, I'm in no rush to start but just wanted to make sure I hadn't skipped a step. I will continue posting pics about every 2 days or so.that you and the others know the status of them. Everyone here is amazing
BTW, #3 is still hanging on and hasn't quit yet!

Back
Top Bottom