Prof's Lab: Diary Of A Bedroom Farmer

Thanks Inky. They were quite the experience and the problems I encountered weren't enough to put me off them.
I did some Himalayan Landrace sativas as well but they exploded with nana's around week 4 of flower. So next season I will veg some indoors through out the summer and then set them in the ground for flowering. That way I can just chop any hermaphrodites and let the good ones continue without wasting any valuable tent space. Also, I have a feeling that they would do better in the ground than pots but that remains to be seen. We will certainly be finding out though.

Cheers Inky.
:passitleft:
You’re a dedicated grower that’s for sure. I don’t think grower quite covers it either. I became a rabid fan of the show “the strain hunters”.! Absolutely amazing stories and was very saddened by the passing of one of its creators. That’s what piqued my interest in the landraces. I recently seen the Afghan selection coming up on auction. I didn’t grab any surprisingly, lol. Take Care and thanks so much for the education on these strains. Awesome Stuff!

Amazing report on the Afghan,I enjoyed that.
Had a similar experience recently with the Pakistani valley (hindu mountains) landrace. Little to no smell in the finished product, really strong (a right face melter) and it threw out nanners like...well...a banana tree. I was still picking nanners off the bud two weeks after it had been jarred, I'm sure it was still throwing nanners after I'd cut it down.

You’re a dedicated grower that’s for sure. I don’t think grower quite covers it either. I became a rabid fan of the show “the strain hunters”.! Absolutely amazing stories and was very saddened by the passing of one of its creators. That’s what piqued my interest in the landraces. I recently seen the Afghan selection coming up on auction. I didn’t grab any surprisingly, lol. Take Care and thanks so much for the education on these strains. Awesome Stuff!
Thanks again! The Tashkurghan in the review was from Afghan Selection. I had a Balkh as well but it was a male. I was going to use it to make crosses but changed my mind after seeing several plants turn hermie. It would be just my luck that it would be a hermie but you wouldn't find out until a lot of effort had been put into making seeds. Decided it wasn't worth the risk. The other 2 were from The Real Seed Company and I have 5 more of those left. TRSC have a really good selection of landrace and heirloom strains from all over but don't have any from the Americas other than Deep Chunk and X18.

RIP Franco.
Amazing report on the Afghan,I enjoyed that.
Had a similar experience recently with the Pakistani valley (hindu mountains) landrace. Little to no smell in the finished product, really strong (a right face melter) and it threw out nanners like...well...a banana tree. I was still picking nanners off the bud two weeks after it had been jarred, I'm sure it was still throwing nanners after I'd cut it down.
I imagine that it's a common occurrence. Today I got to sample another 2 Afghans. The purple one was fantastic though I didn't do a great job of the plant overall. But it does tick boxes. It tastes good, like rotten fruit with chem notes. It was also very fast and has some serious effects. Add on top of that some tight and pretty purple flowers and we have a winner. It's a shame it didn't do well and produce a lot. I really wish I had took some clones to see how it would have done outdoors.
Then there was the second, slightly less purple one which was really poor. Weak, flavourless and whispy buds. Not to mention it was one of the hardest plants that I have ever had the pleasure of trimming lol. It really does feel like a roll of the dice with these.

Thanks again! The Tashkurghan in the review was from Afghan Selection. I had a Balkh as well but it was a male. I was going to use it to make crosses but changed my mind after seeing several plants turn hermie. It would be just my luck that it would be a hermie but you wouldn't find out until a lot of effort had been put into making seeds. Decided it wasn't worth the risk. The other 2 were from The Real Seed Company and I have 5 more of those left. TRSC have a really good selection of landrace and heirloom strains from all over but don't have any from the Americas other than Deep Chunk and X18.

RIP Franco.

I imagine that it's a common occurrence. Today I got to sample another 2 Afghans. The purple one was fantastic though I didn't do a great job of the plant overall. But it does tick boxes. It tastes good, like rotten fruit with chem notes. It was also very fast and has some serious effects. Add on top of that some tight and pretty purple flowers and we have a winner. It's a shame it didn't do well and produce a lot. I really wish I had took some clones to see how it would have done outdoors.
Then there was the second, slightly less purple one which was really poor. Weak, flavourless and whispy buds. Not to mention it was one of the hardest plants that I have ever had the pleasure of trimming lol. It really does feel like a roll of the dice with these.
Remember a lot of these Afghan Landrace were selected for hash production and not flower. I’m guessing a lot of them need some selections to make them more usable for flowers to smoke

Thanks for another great strain(s) report Professor! I'm glad things are looking well enough that you're already considering growing some plants outside next summer. I hope they can stand the smell. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Lol. Thank you Shed!

Covid will likely keep everyone but the postman away for the foreseeable future. Also, these plants don't smell quite as much as the modern strains. If I play it safe and don't grow 15 foot monsters then we should be groovy.

Remember a lot of these Afghan Landrace were selected for hash production and not flower. I’m guessing a lot of them need some selections to make them more usable for flowers to smoke
Thanks Penny. I did briefly touch upon that in the review on the previous page.
You're right though. I think that 2 out of the 5 we have just seen could have been taken and worked on.

I'll show you the Highland shortly. It's still alive.

Prof man, what a great read. Loved catching up on the last few pages.

Happy new year!

I'm sorry the last harvest didn't go to plan, but, I have to say, I thought they were still beautiful plants and flowers. I think I have a soft spot for plants that don't look utterly pristine. Plants that have seen things, you know. Lol! I've been on Insta too much and seen too many shiny perfect things, maybe, and I'm hungry for some character! :laughtwo:

If you had the resources for it, I'm sure a little phenohunt through a bunch of those landrace seeds could net you something special.

I'm realising - with some sadness, due to my own constraints - that popping a single bean from a line is barely a scratch on the surface. In future, I would love to be able to do small phenohunts with one or two specific varieties at a time.

Hey Vet! Good to have you aboard. What's happening in your 40 x 40? Lol
:passitleft:
Currently got a gorilla glue about 5 weeks into flowering in there. First time using a bought tent :laugh: Wanted it tucked away in a built in wardrobe and because it has step in the back for piping or something I can only fit a 40x40.
20210104_222728.jpg
20210102_231552.jpg

Prof man, what a great read. Loved catching up on the last few pages.

Happy new year!

I'm sorry the last harvest didn't go to plan, but, I have to say, I thought they were still beautiful plants and flowers. I think I have a soft spot for plants that don't look utterly pristine. Plants that have seen things, you know. Lol! I've been on Insta too much and seen too many shiny perfect things, maybe, and I'm hungry for some character! :laughtwo:

If you had the resources for it, I'm sure a little phenohunt through a bunch of those landrace seeds could net you something special.

I'm realising - with some sadness, due to my own constraints - that popping a single bean from a line is barely a scratch on the surface. In future, I would love to be able to do small phenohunts with one or two specific varieties at a time.
Hey sy. Happy new year buddy. Have a nug pic!...
DSC05431.JPG

I think I have a soft spot for plants that don't look utterly pristine. Plants that have seen things, you know. Lol!
Oh, we are going to be best friends!
I'm realising - with some sadness, due to my own constraints - that popping a single bean from a line is barely a scratch on the surface
You hit the nail on the head. I've grown hundreds of strain but never experienced a strain in full. It's just too difficult to keep to just one or two strains when you see what's out there lol.
Currently got a gorilla glue about 5 weeks into flowering in there. First time using a bought tent :laugh: Wanted it tucked away in a built in wardrobe and because it has step in the back for piping or something I can only fit a 40x40.
20210104_222728.jpg
20210102_231552.jpg
You're certainly making good use of that space. In mine we have the Thai/Laos Landrace. It's still alive which is the main thing lol....
DSC05412.JPG
DSC05413.JPG
DSC05417.JPG
DSC05418.JPG
DSC05419.JPG
DSC05425.JPG
DSC05424.JPG
DSC05426.JPG

The humidity is a tad low though....
DSC05430.JPG

Very kind of you. She should be done towards the end of Jan or early Feb, so I'll probably throw her in the mix for Febs plant of the month. Worth a punt.
Thanks for the warning!! :laughtwo:
I'll save my entry for a different month.

Highya Prof.:ciao:
Hey PW:ciao:
I really like the landrace. What size pot is she in? Where did you get her again?

Since landraces are the subject, what is the purest landrace sativa/s that y'all know of? Just been on my mind lately.

Back
Top Bottom