SteveHman's Advanced LED - 1000 Watt/BP Nutrients - Going For Max Yield Grow-Grow 6.5

Re: SteveHman's Advanced LED, 1,000 watt/BP Nutrients, going for max yield grow-Grow

Thanks for doing the tests. Looking forward to see how BPN organic perform with the airpot + coco. Which plant is receiving the different nutes? As the plant mature the roots will penetrate through the coco mat at the bottom.

This can cause problems or throw the test towards inaccuracy with the different nute mixture settled at the bottom of the tray. Not sure if it will be a problem. Total isolation of water run off can prevent that and have the test being more accurate. The clones may not soak up everything and once awhile a flush is needed especially for 2 and 3 parts...Perhaps add a saucer under each plants and let the clone soak up any run off from the saucer? Your thoughts?
I don't see it being an issue. If I water them all at the same time, the run-off will all mix together in the catch pan, but I don't think much of that will wick back up into the plants because the coco will be wet from the feeding, the wicking action is greatest when there is a large difference in moisture content.

I am going to put 4~6 smartpot-bags in each pan with extra clones. These will never be directly watered/fed. They will just rely on the BPN soup mix to feed them. I'll keep an eye to see how long it takes for the top of the airpots to be moist after the feeding and then once they are thoroughly fed I will use my little shop vac to remove the remaining nutrients and them tehy will be used on my outdoor garden.

I think as long as I remove the excess nutes before the wicking action on the Air Pots takes effect I will be good. Also, the root should airprune themselves since there's about 1.5 inched of airspace between the bottom of the pot and the drain pan.

It's all an experiment to me, so I will be watching closely, taking notes and reporting so that everyone can see how this works out.

Steve when you were using CES - I know you flushed one time and maybe didn't another - when you flushed what did you do? Pure RO will kill them right?
I haven't done a flush at all in the NFT, I just follow the CES chart and go half-strength the last two weeks. On the hempy grow I just feed them straight R/O water for the last week with the thought that there would be some residual nutrients in the coco media.

I'm not sold on the need to flush, so far everyone says the meds are very clean, no nute-taste and white ashes after the burn.

Re: SteveHman's Advanced LED, 1,000 watt/BP Nutrients, going for max yield grow-Grow

Steve when you were using CES - I know you flushed one time and maybe didn't another - when you flushed what did you do? Pure RO will kill them right?

Maer, to be clear, pure R/O (at the right PH) does not kill your plants. It just doesn't contain any of the nutrients the plants need to live, so they can't live on pure R/O alone. For a flush, pure R/O isn't a problem.

I think it's great use of coco, too. May have to get some airpots and try the same. I'm looking forward to this grow of your's Steve, hope you don't mind if I tag along.

I think it's great use of coco, too. May have to get some airpots and try the same. I'm looking forward to this grow of your's Steve, hope you don't mind if I tag along.
Welcome aboard. The great thing about these journals is that there are unlimited seats (although the front row fills up pretty quick).

*shakes tiny fist at SteveHman*

I scored 10 of those tiniest of Airpots (4" diameter), and have a bag of coir. 4 of those Airpots nest nicely in the bottom of what was once a 3 gallon hempy bucket.

Can you say semi-auto-wicking-hydro-hempy-coco madness?

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. :high-five:

:bongrip: - JZ

*shakes tiny fist at SteveHman*

I scored 10 of those tiniest of Airpots (4" diameter), and have a bag of coir. 4 of those Airpots nest nicely in the bottom of what was once a 3 gallon hempy bucket.

Can you say semi-auto-wicking-hydro-hempy-coco madness?

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. :high-five:

Are we going to start the next trend on 420? I don't think we can catch up to the 2 liter hempies though. If this grow is successful we'll see what happens. (I still love my NFT though)

What was 420fieds final g/W ratio? I was thinking I could fit 80?? "2L" style pvc tubes with auto watering... 420fied's grow was amazing. Probably never do it but that was an inspiring thread.

What was 420fieds final g/W ratio? I was thinking I could fit 80?? "2L" style pvc tubes with auto watering... 420fied's grow was amazing. Probably never do it but that was an inspiring thread.
I've been brainstorming a new system. I'll have to do up a rough sketch and PM it to you. It is essentially a 2 liter style grow but in 4 inch pvc in a 2x4 tent with a pair of DS 200s. Do two of those setups and you have a perpetual harvest. I'll have to put together a drawing and send it to you for input.

If you cut the 4" PVC in half lengthwise you may have a nice channel to place your "2l" in to drain, that would take a lot of trouble out of watering, then you just need to rig some drip emitters to do your watering for you. 30 minutes a day (every other) would probably give them a decent watering with run through.

I'm trying to take advantage of the porosity of the Airpots as a means of more easily watering/maintaining the plants; since I already dropped $$$ into the commercial hydro wicking system, may as well fart around with other concepts too. Not giving up dirt though; that stuff is intriguing to me -- I'm just too much of an experimenter to settle for one technique, I suppose.

Here are a few shots of the girls in the tent. Most have put on a few inches over the weekend, one is not looking great though. If she doesn't pull her shit together by Friday, her ass is out on the street and I'll replace her with her little sister :)

Here they are:
DSCN02553.JPG
DSCN02563.JPG

A little hydroton and some stainless steel tent pins and they are getting their first lesson in LST:
DSCN02572.JPG
DSCN02585.JPG
DSCN02595.JPG
DSCN02602.JPG

I'll LST them until they are completely around the top of the air pots and then will flip them to 12/12. I am heading out to the hydro store to get the smart pots for the other clones today and will post an updated photo of the whole family tomorrow.

I haven't given them a feeding since I put them in last Thursday, the Air Pots are still pretty heavy and I don't want to have them water-logged. They should be ready for their first taste of nutes by this Wednesday.

Steve, great job, Brother! :welldone:

I just have to say, that in addition to your exceptional growing and DIY skills, I'm just blown away by the number of things you have going on at once and your ability to somehow manage them all so well. Very impressive & +REPS!

Steve, great job, Brother! :welldone:

I just have to say, that in addition to your exceptional growing and DIY skills, I'm just blown away by the number of things you have going on at once and your ability to somehow manage them all so well. Very impressive & +REPS!
If you knew what else I did with my day it would be mind-boggling. Working on my MBA (night classes), running my own company, volunteering in my daughters classroom, soccer practice, and on and on.... I'm a bit of an over-achiever and multi-tasker!

If you knew what else I did with my day it would be mind-boggling. Working on my MBA (night classes), running my own company, volunteering in my daughters classroom, soccer practice, and on and on.... I'm a bit of an over-achiever and multi-tasker!

Hey man, that's great! :high-five:

I'd give you some more +REPS if I could! :thumb:

Pulling up a chair and settling in. I have been watching your work for a couple months now.
I hope some of your knowledge will rub off on me so I can have some success. I have my first grow gowing and have had issues from the git go.

I also bought some of the cheap LEDs before I read your buyers guide.... so I intend to use those as fill in lighting along with my 1000w's.

Thanks from us noobs too for the info that may help us. :Namaste:

I added a couple things to the tent today. First up, a PPM-4 CO2 controller. I had the CO2 before on a cycle timer on for 15 minutes, off for 45. I didn't have any way to monitor the PPM and had no idea how much was being sucked out via the exhaust.

I also have a thermostatic control on the exhaust fan to keep the CO2 (as much as possible) inside the tent. The surprising thing is, that once I had it set up and running, it took less than a minute for the CO2 to get above 1500ppm and the controller turned off the CO2. I am curious to see how long a tank will last me now that it is being controlled.
DSCN02665.JPG

I also picked up the Smart Pots (bags) to add a few plants in to take up the extra nutes and space. I though I would have enough room for 8 of them but can only fit two one-gallon bags on each side (one front, one back). On the left side of the tent I added two P-chunks:
DSCN02673.JPG

And on the right side I added two White Widows (you can barely make out the top of the one in back):
DSCN02684.JPG

The air pots are still pretty heavy, I'll feed them tomorrow with their respective mixes of BPN and will remove the run-off an hour after feeding, allowing the smart pots to soak up some of the BPN potpourri. I will be topping the four extra plants to keep them about the same height as the ones in the Air Pots so I can have an even canopy (as best as possible).

I'm looking forward to seeing how they react to a proper CO2 environment and the new nutes. It should be an interesting week.

Just talked with the guys from Advanced LEDs. They are running a special from today until the 15th of December. If you mention my journal they are doing free shipping and free rope ratchets with your order. If you order, make sure to ask for Kyle. Their number is 800-401-6307.

The CO2 cycles at about a minute an hour now. I am thinking a 20lb tank should last the majority of the grow at that rate. I was getting two weeks out of it using the cycle timer. This is good news and should pay for itself in short order!

My CO2 sensor was badly out of whack when I got it. You have to take it outside and hold down the reset button on the back for 8 second (while plugged in of course). Leave it outside for about 10 minutes after that and then you can move it back inside. They said shipping somehow causes it to be inaccurate.

Back
Top Bottom