SteveHman's Advanced LED - 1000 Watt/BP Nutrients - Going For Max Yield Grow-Grow 6.5

Re: SteveHman's Advanced LED, 1,000 watt/BP Nutrients, going for max yield grow-Grow

If you want to see how well LEDs can flower, check out my past journals in my signature block.

Welcome aboard. It should start getting interesting soon!

Jeebuz Krimenee those are some good lookin buds back then. I'm sold. Gotta "?" tough, if ya don't mind. What wattage would you recommend for a 2x4 dual chamber flower box? Basically 2 self contained 2x2x4 boxes. I will be doing it that way so I can harvest about every 4-5 weeks, for personal, depending on strain. But yeah, for 2x2, single plant, whatcha think I need to get? My research sends me to the 200 range, is that correct or is that overkill? 100w? It's so confusing is the only reason I ask.

Re: SteveHman's Advanced LED, 1,000 watt/BP Nutrients, going for max yield grow-Grow

I have heard people say not to switch nute lines mid grow, dunno the exact reasoning.

I asked Corey about that before hand. Told him what nutes I was using, and he is watching my grow. He said it would be fine. I only have one more res change (weekly) worth of AN nutes to go and prob 3 - 4 weeks till chop.

Jeebuz Krimenee those are some good lookin buds back then. I'm sold. Gotta "?" tough, if ya don't mind. What wattage would you recommend for a 2x4 dual chamber flower box? Basically 2 self contained 2x2x4 boxes. I will be doing it that way so I can harvest about every 4-5 weeks, for personal, depending on strain. But yeah, for 2x2, single plant, whatcha think I need to get? My research sends me to the 200 range, is that correct or is that overkill? 100w? It's so confusing is the only reason I ask.

These lights need to be about 2 feet from the plant tops. That doesn't leave you much room in a 4 foot box.

What have you been smoking? I want some :smokin:

I totally agree. The LED's can be as close as 1 inch from the tops, they will not burn. So there is plenty of room in a 2x2x4 area for plant height. I have a 180 watt Blackstar LED that does great in a similar size area for vegging. It does a mediocre job on flowering. I know I need more watts to get good flowering. Need to save some bucks for the purchase.

Good luck to all!

I asked Corey about that before hand. Told him what nutes I was using, and he is watching my grow. He said it would be fine. I only have one more res change (weekly) worth of AN nutes to go and prob 3 - 4 weeks till chop.

What AN line and additives were you using? I was planning some side by side dual system tests (two NFT tubes side by side with separate res) to look at the differences with different additives.

I am currently using three of the Diamond Series in my 2x6x4 (essentially 3 2x2x4 chambers that I can partition off for testing). That is what I would go with.

These lights need to be about 2 feet from the plant tops. That doesn't leave you much room in a 4 foot box.
You're partially right, they need to be higher when the plants are younger, as they get older the lights can get closer. depending on the lights you can go anywhere from 12-22 inches. I have mine at a fixed height of 48 inches. I use an NFT the takes up 10 inches of that space leaving me 38 inches. I place 4~6 inch clones in and immediately go 12/12 (at this point the light is 30 inches above. the plants will stretch to about 18 inches total and I end up with a height above canopy of 18~20 inches. I don't adjust the height during the grow--ever. If you follow this routine height is not an issue and you will have happy plants,

I totally agree. The LED's can be as close as 1 inch from the tops, they will not burn. So there is plenty of room in a 2x2x4 area for plant height. I have a 180 watt Blackstar LED that does great in a similar size area for vegging. It does a mediocre job on flowering. I know I need more watts to get good flowering. Need to save some bucks for the purchase.

Good luck to all!
Not sure what lights you have used. If you place a Diamond Series that close to a plant you will fry it, the lights are too intense (not hot but BRIGHT!). A distance closer than 12~16 inches will bleach and start light burn (depending on strain).

If your blackstar is doing mediocre in flower I suggest looking at the Diamond Series from Advanced. I've done several grows with their lights and have had outstanding results with every grow. You don't need more than 180 watts in a 2x2 space, but I would recommend the DS 200 because of how well it performs.

If you place a 180w BlackStar that close, it will fry it, too!

I have a 180w BlackStar, and it performs well in flower, but I definately recommend shorter plants and a 2'x2' space is about max on that light, but I'd really limit it to a single plant centered under the light, unless doing a SOG.

I find about 12"-16" above the canopy works best. You can get down to about 8" or so, depending on strain, but at 1", unless there's some issue with the light, you will bleach the leaves.

What AN line and additives were you using? I was planning some side by side dual system tests (two NFT tubes side by side with separate res) to look at the differences with different additives.

Maer, I was/am using Sensi Bloom A & B (used grow too), B52, Voodoo juice. I'll still be using Humbolt Ginourmous, and I use Hygrozyme and of course calmg for the ro water.

My bad. The light's about 3 inches thick too. Might want to make some holes for the fans if you're mounting it against the top of the box. Should be plenty of room to flower 4~6 inch clones.

I didn't realize that LEDs needed so much stand-off, even for the little ones. I routinely have healthy foliage & buds within 8" or so of a bare vertical CMH 250.
I plan a SOG under T5s, which can be even closer. I'm hoping that 30" is enough for pots, plants, and lights. I could go 36 max for a double stack; my floor-space is my big limiter. 2x4' tables(or shelves); I can't easily service(reach) the plants in the back of my tents, so... 50w/ft, with much more even light-force distribution than any point-source bulb like HIDs. Or even LEDs, in a way.

I can buy four double-tube 4' T5s for $200. How much for LEDs to work a 2x4 grow table?

I didn't realize that LEDs needed so much stand-off, even for the little ones. I routinely have healthy foliage & buds within 8" or so of a bare vertical CMH 250.
I plan a SOG under T5s, which can be even closer. I'm hoping that 30" is enough for pots, plants, and lights. I could go 36 max for a double stack; my floor-space is my big limiter. 2x4' tables(or shelves); I can't easily service(reach) the plants in the back of my tents, so... 50w/ft, with much more even light-force distribution than any point-source bulb like HIDs. Or even LEDs, in a way.

I can buy four double-tube 4' T5s for $200. How much for LEDs to work a 2x4 grow table?
You would need two 200w lights, at $545 each it pretty much blows the budget.

I use T5HO's for moms and clones and they work fine. You can get them right on top of the plants. The problem with T5's is they lack a lot of punch or penetrating power, but fine for a SOG as long as you keep them a few inches above and raise them frequently to keep the plants from getting crispy. For a 2x4 table you can get a single fixture that has 6 bulbs for about $200 or one that holds 8 bulbs for about $250. I use a 4 bulb 4' fixture for my moms and they are doing great, but I wouldn't flower with less than a 6 bulb fixture.

The single fixture costs a bit more than buying all of the double units but you only need a single set of rope ratchets which saves money, and you can specify the type and number of lights the unit ships with the unit.

A 4' T5 uses 54watts, so for 8 you are running 432w, slightly more than a pair of DS 200s. Let me know which way you decide. I'm a very open minded grower and want to see every technique be successful.:Namaste:

If you place a 180w BlackStar that close, it will fry it, too!

I have a 180w BlackStar, and it performs well in flower, but I definately recommend shorter plants and a 2'x2' space is about max on that light, but I'd really limit it to a single plant centered under the light, unless doing a SOG.

I find about 12"-16" above the canopy works best. You can get down to about 8" or so, depending on strain, but at 1", unless there's some issue with the light, you will bleach the leaves.

I must really have some resilient plants then. I also have a BlackStar 240 that doesn't do well in flowering either and I have had multiple plants grow into the light (and beyond the light) and have never had an issue with heat from the LED, bleaching of leaves or anything similar. Does it sound like my lights are defective?

Defective lights would certainly explain the poor flowering results I have been experiencing.

I must really have some resilient plants then. I also have a BlackStar 240 that doesn't do well in flowering either and I have had multiple plants grow into the light (and beyond the light) and have never had an issue with heat from the LED, bleaching of leaves or anything similar. Does it sound like my lights are defective?

Defective lights would certainly explain the poor flowering results I have been experiencing.
Could be several issues with the light, the chips etc... The lights I use are intense, single 3w chips with a lens that really focuses the light. I have had some strains bleach under them at 20 inches and others get as close as 12 before I noticed ill-effects (crispy leaves, toughened calyxes etc...).

I won't say anything negative about a light I have not tested, so can't offer and opinion on the Blackstar. I will say however, that the Advanced's are pushing out some serious buds.

I am currently using three of the Diamond Series in my 2x6x4 (essentially 3 2x2x4 chambers that I can partition off for testing). That is what I would go with.

"Diamond Series" isn't much to go on... search the auction site, or the "A" book site for "LED Diamond Series", you get TV's add "Grow" to that and you get 1 item....a UFO. That's not what I see in your tent.... there's a square one in the list further down omitting "Grow" again, but the vents are wrong, and from what I see and it looks to be about 300w..... Diamond Series from what company or maker? I tried to use your LED Buyer's Guide but it is linked to your "Lessons Learned from a first time grower" journal. In what wattage range of Diamond Series from the unknown maker should I stay?

I did find Advanced LED Diamond Series but the choices were at a range of 100 to 800 watts...... so no help there.

"Diamond Series" isn't much to go on... search the auction site, or the "A" book site for "LED Diamond Series", you get TV's add "Grow" to that and you get 1 item....a UFO. That's not what I see in your tent.... there's a square one in the list further down omitting "Grow" again, but the vents are wrong, and from what I see and it looks to be about 300w..... Diamond Series from what company or maker? I tried to use your LED Buyer's Guide but it is linked to your "Lessons Learned from a first time grower" journal. In what wattage range of Diamond Series from the unknown maker should I stay?

I did find Advanced LED Diamond Series but the choices were at a range of 100 to 800 watts...... so no help there.
Advanced LEDs (a site sponsor) is the maker of the Diamond Series lights. They range in size from 100 to 800 watts. Plan on about 40 watts per square foot and then round up (a 4x4=160 watts, so buy the 200).

I'll have to change my link to the buyers guide. I recently updated my signature block and the urls may not have been properly linked.

Stevehman's LED Buyer's Guide

Jan...I got the 180w extreme flower from advanced and i can vouch that they are good lights, my plants seem to be liking them so far in veg and have yet to test in flower, will be switching out to 200 DS...will let you know results, steve already has some awesome grows with advanced leds:Namaste:

Maer, I was/am using Sensi Bloom A & B (used grow too), B52, Voodoo juice. I'll still be using Humbolt Ginourmous, and I use Hygrozyme and of course calmg for the ro water.

I think Cal mag is not necessary, most (all?) nutes are formulated complete with all required elements in the 2 or 3 parts in the nute line.

I do use it in my tomatoes because they require more cal and mag than most plants.

... Steve already has some awesome grows with advanced leds:Namaste:

I knew that, I saw from his past journals:thumb: But the question was "for a 2x2 which power should I look for?" I was thinking 200w, I got the answer Steve from at 4:59pm. Thanks for the confirmation. I'm so glad this forum has lots of helpful people in it. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom