Stunger Tries Trough Growing And Attempts Fluxing On His Organic Living Soil Balcony

Update - Frozen Black Cherry - Cola, buds & trichomes

Greetings 420 enthusiasts!

This post is focusing on the Frozen Black Cherry as the other 2 plants are still in their early pompom flowering stage. The FBC's trichomes are clear and cloudy. I guess that I will most likely harvest her in about 2 to 3 weeks, unless a fraction longer.

Thanks for dropping in. Have a great day and I hope you're enjoying some lovely weed!
:ganjamon:

Update - Plant by plant

I wanted to try some more close up pics but it is a really windy day here. I managed to 'freeze' the movement a bit by taking them at 1/1000 of a second.

The trough girls together

Mulanje Sherbert

She is still in an early flowering pompom stage

Frozen Black Cherry

She is started to frost up nicely

Super Lemon Haze

Still in early/mid flowering and some trichomes visible.

So that is today's view out on the balcony. Thanks for dropping by!

Update - Plant by plant

I wanted to try some more close up pics but it is a really windy day here. I managed to 'freeze' the movement a bit by taking them at 1/1000 of a second.

Mulanje Sherbert

Frozen Black Cherry

Super Lemon Haze

They all look very tasty.
Update - Plant by plant

Mulanje Sherbert

Frozen Black Cherry

Super Lemon Haze

They all look brilliant. The FBC is humming along nicely. A few more weeks for some amber to show. Have you tried a sample?

Are you going to give back building a go???
It may be a touch late for some but 1 at least looks prime time for it👍
Funnily enough I tried back building years ago when I read you describing it in one of your threads. But I didn't see a noticeable difference when compared to the colas that I didn't back build. Perhaps my timing was out or perhaps because the plant I did the back building to was under a mite attack which could have impeded it.
They all look very tasty.
They all look brilliant. The FBC is humming along nicely. A few more weeks for some amber to show. Have you tried a sample?
Thanks Zeb! It's getting to the visually tasty stage of the grow. I haven't tried a sample of the FBC yet, generally that happens when I screw up and snap a branch off.

The trough is really performing up to specs, and this news:

...means that anyone wanting a short-flowering get-it-in-before-the-freeze plant should put the FBC on their wish list!

Got a bunch of stungners there. :thumb:
Thanks Shed!

The stated flowering time of the Frozen Black Cherry is 8-9 weeks, and she is behaving like an early finisher who has no intention of staying for the coming cold weather.

To throw a wee update in. The trough is droughting again.

I noticed today that quite a few leaves were drooping, and I realise that they are being "droughted", which I am happy about as I have always considered that it increases the resin/potency of the bud. I didn't think it would happen in the trough, altho I saw similar a couple of weeks ago. But while we have had some rain, not much has fallen and I think the trough didn't get much. Plus I have only watered it once in the last few weeks. And today I noted a couple of dead worms on the paving which is a good 'droughting in action' sign. I think this is a great time for the Frozen Black Cherry to get a drought 'nudge' too as she is already getting quite sticky!

I will give them a drink tomorrow.

Pulling up a seat 💺 👀…love what you are doing…beautiful ladies…love seeing outdoor grows…would love to try one day…may try this season if I can find a good stealthy place in my yard 😂…keep up the great work…I’m learning from you
Thanks Drekoola! Yep, finding a stealthy spot outdoors is not easy. I wish I could grow on the ground as I'd really like to grow a 'tree', but safer and more hidden on the balcony as long as I am careful about limiting their height to about 2 and half feet. Cheers.

Update - Some droughting observed on the Frozen Black Cherry

The overnight temps are dropping, but the days stay mostly sunny and not much rain has fallen this year. I noticed a few weeks ago that the leaves were drooping, indicating that the plant was experiencing some 'droughting'. At that point I gave the trough a watering, 10L or about 2.5 gallons, not much in the scheme of things.

And now as I haven't watered the trough since then it is happening again. To me that is good, my 'punchiest' buds have come from droughted plants, and the Frozen Black Cherry is getting stickier by the day so in my books it is great timing for her to be under a bit of droughting stress in flowering.

Frozen Black Cherry leaves wilting

It was a bit hard to get good pics of it as the trough was half in shade. But here are a couple pics showing some of the leaf droop going on.

Some trichome closeups of the Frozen Black Cherry

Trough pics

These I took a couple of hours after the taking pics of the leaves drooping which have now recovered somewhat.

The house is getting heavy scents inside of flowering bud whenever I open the balcony doors. Just lovely!

Thanks for dropping by, I hope your day is going great and you have some nice bud on hand to enjoy!

Nice coincidence on the drought timing for the FBC, but what of the effect on the other two this early in their process?
There are downsides to stressing plants, and droughting causes stress to them so I think when that occurs it is important is to support the plant while you're asking it to take the stress, to help it 'stay strong' and prevail against any bug attacks.

But in regards to timing, I see only positives. 'Traditionally' we may think that droughting has to be done for 10 days from the 7th week or whatever. But I think that is largely due to Kaplan's awesome research on droughting where he needed to find a solid schedule that he could test against controls that would be most effective to carry out and that would give a 'tight' result rather than an open to interpretation result. And he did, with a 10 day period starting from a specific time point. I forget the exact figures but it resulted in a very impressive percentage increase.

As I have mentioned before, my most impressive droughting was purely from an accidental newbie grow. I germinated a found bag seed, I think on the 5th December (very late). It grew in a 10L (2.5 gallon) ceramic pot in standard garden potting mix with a single feed of tomato fert over its life. The summer was hot and dry, the pot heated up and the plant got heat stress every day, and all through its flowering from pompoms onward, it wilted very badly every hot day. But upon harvest its bud were the stickiest. It appeared that the trichomes had melted and more had grown, leaving the bud and sugar leaves looking like they were lacquered. The sugar leaves were still green because I would water the plant every evening yet those sugar leaves were stiff with moderate trichomes growing out of a sticky 'lacquer' layer. It was simply outstanding smoke, far better than the bag of weed that I found it in. Did the trichome 'melt' and the plant generated more, I don't know, but that is how it seemed to me.

So, apologies for my long winded spiel but that's why I don't see any timing issue with the other less advanced plants. Other than if I was only growing the Frozen Black Cherry then I would go harder on it and stress it for longer. But given the early stage of the other two which are in my control, I prefer to not stress them too much at this stage.

Plus when growing outside with the desire to perform droughting, there often simply isn't the reliability of the weather to start and finish at a prescribed time point. I think you just have to work with nature and in this case, against my expectations of my first trough grow I have found that some droughting is possible.

Your photos are just stunning. The plants look very happy. It's a delight to the eyes.
Thanks Carmen! I just bumble through them and hope to get some that are acceptable. I wish I could show some pics of the sparkle coming off the buds but for that I need to be on the other side of the trough which is now 'tight' for space.

Thanks Shed!

The stated flowering time of the Frozen Black Cherry is 8-9 weeks, and she is behaving like an early finisher who has no intention of staying for the coming cold weather.

To throw a wee update in. The trough is droughting again.

I noticed today that quite a few leaves were drooping, and I realise that they are being "droughted", which I am happy about as I have always considered that it increases the resin/potency of the bud. I didn't think it would happen in the trough, altho I saw similar a couple of weeks ago. But while we have had some rain, not much has fallen and I think the trough didn't get much. Plus I have only watered it once in the last few weeks. And today I noted a couple of dead worms on the paving which is a good 'droughting in action' sign. I think this is a great time for the Frozen Black Cherry to get a drought 'nudge' too as she is already getting quite sticky!

I will give them a drink tomorrow.
Love ❤️ that sticky icky! CL🍀

Love ❤️ that sticky icky! CL🍀
Thanks CL! I remember someone once mentioning a wild seeded plant that they found growing out of a crack in rock with bugger all of anything, nature had baked and cooked and blown it into a gnarly tough plant but the bud quality was superb. That's the sort of sticky icky that appeals to me!
Stacking up nicely stunger 👌🤙✌️
Cheers Uncle! It's all going well so far, touch wood. I might carry out another sprinkling of Neem meal soon to help deter late stage flowering pests.

That glitter ✨✨✨✨✨
Thanks Tra! It's just the nicest stage of the whole game when the buds are getting their glitter on.
Looks like you'll be smoking the Frozen Black Cherry while you're waiting for the others to finish. Looking good Stunger.
Cheers Joe! Yes that's right, it'll easily finish ahead of the other two, and then I get to enjoy the whole bud ripening stage again with them!

Update - Trough plants refreshed from yesterday's drink - Trichomes turning on the FBC's sugar leaves

Altho the overnight temps are dropping, it has been another beautiful sunny day here. This afternoon it was very still with just the odd little breeze puffing past. With the still air I decided to try again on close up pictures, basically though I really need to support the camera as hand holding it for macro type shots rather compromises things.

After yesterday's drink, they have clearly perked up.

The buds are getting frostier each day

Trichomes on sugar leaves are starting to turn

There are clearly some amber trichomes to be seen on these 3 random sugar leaves

Closer up the buds are mostly clear & cloudy

Thanks for dropping in. I hope your day is going great!

Back
Top Bottom