300W LED vs. 400W HID Demonstration

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - GrowLEDHydro 300w LED vs. 400w HID

halibut christmas tree, lol

Don't want nothin' like that ;)

thanks for sending me the pics.

They seem to be more the open habitus, so unless that changes, I think I'll do as you suggest and bend them over when they're getting close to a foot.

The bondage and release sounds interesting, and sorta kinky. I need to go back and look at that pic you sent me.

thanks man!

This is the closeup of the LED's that astroastro requested. Sorry for taking so long.

If you want a larger version, just click on the pic.

P1000917.JPG

Nothin' wrong with smoked halibut, it's just hard to keep lit ;]

yep, I've floundered with that issue myself.

You're welcome, the PK in the pic is held down by only one tie, but it pushed out the sides nicely. This plant was not what I described but I gotta go to the floratorium tomorrow so I'll find something to bend over and take a pic.

b:yummy:

From the looks of them, topping or LST would both work well. If I like the smoke, I'd like to keep them as moms fairly long-term in the cab, so they pretty much need to be bonsai.

the moms at 3 weeks veg

P1000959.JPG
P1000960.JPG
P1000961.JPG
P1000962.JPG

They're growing really fast. Every time I feed them I notice a big jump in growth the next day. I used more Turface in these pots, about 30%, and water retention is pretty good. I think 40-50% might still work without degrading aeration too much, especially in combination with the chunky #4 perlite.

Food is OC+ and water, and they're doing great with that. I've been a little stingy with the OC+ because it's unfamiliar to me, but it's about impossible to burn your plants with it, so I'm going to top-dress with another Tbsp.

I know that it's better to not have the N too high when taking cuttings, so I'm hesitant to add more than that, but I'm not even sure that should be a concern with OC+, as it works by osmosis and the level of N should remain relatively stable even if you add a ridiculous amount.

Maybe I'll go with 2 Tbsp.

In any case, I continue to be impressed with this Nirvana strain so far. I can't understand how anyone could think this is a touchy strain. My impression so far is that it's a great beginner's strain.

P1000965.JPG

P1000970.JPG
P1000966.JPG
P1000968.JPG
P1000964.JPG

The clones are still kickin'. No definite root action, but I think something's going on in that jelly.

thanks for following!
:peace:

Dude! Do those Jello Clone Cups come in any other flavor than vanilla? PPPs looking right on target, is in not nice to get results with simply complete nutrition? Dose response curve is not just a line on paper, it's the way of life.

Long live mother mota, Pure Power to the Plant People.

b:riskybusiness:

Nope, just vanilla ;). I sorta wish I had scraped the stems a bit before putting them in there. It would have expedited things, but I followed the instructions on the box, which strive to keep things simple. Next time I use them, I'll do that.

The clones do look good considering I don't know what the hell I'm doing ;).

If Vicky, the donor mom, turns out good, I'm going to grow them out somewhere even if the PPP clones do well.

It looks like the hairs on these flowering clones may be beginning to recede a bit, but I've never done this before so I don't know what to watch for or expect. The jelly cubes are giving them everything they need thus far, so it's just a matter of time.

I need to read up a bit on flowering clones.

thank you my friend ;)

Hi Sun I ordered a couple of boxes of the Jello clone cups. Never tried a clone before, but that's the best kit that I've heard of so...I'll be giving them a try. :) Now....what do I want to clone.......choices, choices! :grinjoint:

Hi OMM!

Well, it's certainly the easiest cloning method I've seen, but we'll have to see how it works.

420warrior used them and had good success, although I think he said it took 2-3 weeks for them to root.

Glad you're trying them out because it'll help us figure out if the jello works.

I loved that show, and I'm sure Emma had something to do with that ;).

I didn't know that cool bit of trivia about how she was named, thanks!

They are looking lovely. Probably be at 9" today when the lights come on.

thanks b!

Holy crap, another thread I didn't even know was happening...

SS! You're a busy person! I go crazy when I am not busy...are you flourishing with the stress? lol

I am going to go read this 11 page thread...

subscribed!

-Go

Nice thread here SS.

That cloning gel is crazy stuff! I have always had best success with my bio-dome, and my plugs that come with it. Cut the clone, scrap it, no rooting hormone, straight into the plug. Roots are out of the plug in 7 days, ready for transplant.

Easy as pie!

Thanks for this test SS. It looks like you have plenty invested to make this a sweet test. Can't wait!

-Go

Hey SS!

As usual, your plants look exquisite. Not that I'm surprised....we all expected they would...but they are just beautiful to behold!

Regarding those clone roots.....why not make is so the rooting end in in total darkness and only the tops get light?

When I used the gel, I put the cup in a cut off plastic cup. Girls look beautiful SS! And :thanks: for the clone test, I was telling people that's the way to go based on my success with them but got nervous I was giving bad info after you said you tried them and they didn't work :peace:

Hello SS!
Those mothers are looking beautiful. They really seem to like the T5.

This journal is already a wealth of great info. It's good to hear some authoritative info concerning LEDs instead of hype and conjecture.

It would be interesting to know if these GLH lights are engineered properly so that they'll last a long time or if they're likely to have problems after a year or two.

I will concur that growers should take some precautions when exposed to these lights (the GLH LEDs). You can get a sunburn under these easily. Apparently some of the leds are putting out something in the UV (or near UV) range. Eye protection is an excellent idea. I must admit, I've not been as careful about that as I should be. Thanks for discussing it here!

:thumb:

Hey SS!

As usual, your plants look exquisite. Not that I'm surprised....we all expected they would...but they are just beautiful to behold!

Regarding those clone roots.....why not make is so the rooting end in in total darkness and only the tops get light?

Thank you, Doc!

I think they make them clear for novelty and marketing purposes.

They'd probably work better if they weren't clear.

They also work better in conjunction with a tray and dome, which I was just reading about.

I don't have enough room in my cab for both the moms and a dome, but I'll just set the dome up under a CFL somewhere.

My humidity has been around 45-48%, which is why the clones haven't all croaked yet, but they should do better under the dome.

thanks again bro!

SS! You're a busy person! I go crazy when I am not busy...are you flourishing with the stress? lol

subscribed!

-Go

yeah, stress is good, just not too much ;).

Nice thread here SS.

That cloning gel is crazy stuff! I have always had best success with my bio-dome, and my plugs that come with it. Cut the clone, scrap it, no rooting hormone, straight into the plug. Roots are out of the plug in 7 days, ready for transplant.

Easy as pie!

Thanks for this test SS. It looks like you have plenty invested to make this a sweet test. Can't wait!

-Go

I'll check out the bio-dome, thanks!

If the cloning goes well, I'd like to wind up with 3 plants per tent, and then I can remove one if things get too crowded.

Glad you found these journals Go ;)

When I used the gel, I put the cup in a cut off plastic cup. Girls look beautiful SS! And :thanks: for the clone test, I was telling people that's the way to go based on my success with them but got nervous I was giving bad info after you said you tried them and they didn't work :peace:

I think that's a good idea 420warrior.

I'm going to put the jello cups in a tray with a dome and see how it goes. I think they're drying out, so should help.

thanks brother ;)

subscribed!

-Go

Here too. If I turn my head...or have to work all day...somebody takes off without me. Shameful

Hello SS!
Those mothers are looking beautiful. They really seem to like the T5.

This journal is already a wealth of great info. It's good to hear some authoritative info concerning LEDs instead of hype and conjecture.

It would be interesting to know if these GLH lights are engineered properly so that they'll last a long time or if they're likely to have problems after a year or two.

I have 6700k tubes in the T5, and I think that helps prevent stretch and improves veg performance to some degree.

I've never kept a mother plant before, so we'll see how my little cab works for mothership duty. They're gonna have to be kept short, that's for sure.

I will concur that growers should take some precautions when exposed to these lights (the GLH LEDs). You can get a sunburn under these easily. Apparently some of the leds are putting out something in the UV (or near UV) range. Eye protection is an excellent idea. I must admit, I've not been as careful about that as I should be. Thanks for discussing it here!

:thumb:

I have very little patience for alarmists and chicken littles, but there are some basic precautions that I think are important.

I keep my safety glasses in the same place, and it's become second-nature to put them on before unzipping my tents.

Using sunblock on exposed skin hasn't become second-nature yet, but I need to research long-sleeved t-shirts that block UV, because that might work better.

What works "better" for me isn't always what works best, but rather what I know stands a good chance of being used consistently.

thank you for your comments and kind words, GMH ;)

THE MOMS AT 4 WEEKS VEG

IMG_6251.JPG

IMG_6215.JPG

IMG_6214.JPG

IMG_62091.JPG

IMG_6210.JPG

IMG_62111.JPG

IMG_6223.JPG

IMG_62171.JPG

One of the clones bit the dust, and the remainder seem like they're drying out, so I'm going to put them under a dome with a single CFL in some corner somewhere. Maybe stick a heating mat under the tray. Probably should do it tonight, but I'm tired.

IMG_62181.JPG

IMG_62191.JPG

I slid the cutting up and down a little to see if I could detect any roots, but I'm not sure and I don't want to yank them all the way out to take a good look yet.

The mother plants are doing great!

I need to decide whether I'm going to top or LST.

:thanks:

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom