425Jesse - Grow 2 - A Journey With Super Silver Haze From Seed In Soil

Feb 26 AM - things are looking good and developing really well under the new LED. Here are today's updates.

SSH1 - this is a most vigorous plant. Also was the first seed to pop a root. No guarantees on these beans, could end up
Male, we will see.

420-magazine-mobile1175804793.jpg

SSH2 - this was the second bean to pop, but is in 3rd place height and girth wise.

420-magazine-mobile2040870992.jpg

SSH3 - quick growing as well, third seed to pop, second tallest and thickest. You can see on 1 & 3 the first set of branches headed out of the in the internodes. The picture doesn't show as well as it did on 1.

420-magazine-mobile1355346936.jpg

SSH4 - short and now starting to catch up folliage wise to the others. Second to last to germinate, second shortest, but I think it looks super sturdy.

420-magazine-mobile598091232.jpg

SSH5 - not much notable change since yesterdays updates, but here...last to germinate, last to go to soil and pop out too...oops, didn't take a picture of it. Oh well.

Cheers!!

Jolly Rancher Sativa - A Rookie Adventure Indoors

Good start bro, the most important step for a plant is being born. :smokin:

And thanks for the kind words on my thread. Lots of capable growers to emulate and lots of knowledge, most of it pretty solid, being shared here. But nothing like personal experience.

We learn from success and we learn much faster from failure. So I hope you learn slowly. :nomo:

Since you're starting out, a suggestion since you are using a single 300w Mars panel. I use seven of them in various capacities so I love that particular light. But, one thing I have found is LED lights are underpowered compared to their claims and ratings. They all have a stated output wattage "equivalent" (300w for example) and also an actual power consumption number (145 w for example), but the number that really counts is LUMENS.

LUMENS are the only true measure of output. LED's just don't have the lumens to be a main light unless you use a bunch of them...for example:

A "600 w" Mars Hydro LED panel (which actually draws 278 watts of electricity @ 110 volts) puts out 9122 lumens. A 320 w (actual 320 watts of power used) MH puts out 21,000 lumens! So, for basically 10% more electricity, a Metal Halide will give you more than twice the light output. That basically equals twice the bud.

That means you are getting only 4,500 lumens with your current light which is sufficient to get those 4 plants to about 10 inches tall then past that they will need a lot more. So keep your light within a foot or so for now and give your plants the concentration of light they need. You can do so with less worry about heat than HID lamps. Just feel the light at plant top level, with your hand, for about 20-30 seconds. If it isn't too hot for your hand it's okay for your plants.

Then think about getting a 400 w HID in a closed, vented hood. If you want real results that's what you will need, minimum, to get anything close to what you want out of the 4 plants you have. Or you can get three more of those 300 w Mars units and grow them to maybe 2 1/2 feet using all 4 together. But if you upgrade to even one 400 W MH you will have enough light to make those 4 plants nicely productive and the return on your effort will more than double.

If you can't for whatever reason that's okay, maybe you don't have the space or you can't run an in-line exhaust fan (necessary). I'm chiming in not to tell you you are doing anything wrong because you can grow with any light, but the amount of light output basically determines your potential. I just want to see everyone get a fair return on their efforts. I spent a lot of my first grows growing decent bud, but I used too little light and so I got small yields. Eventually I got enough light and things got really fun.

Good luck.

Peace, Hyena

Good start bro, the most important step for a plant is being born. :smokin:

And thanks for the kind words on my thread. Lots of capable growers to emulate and lots of knowledge, most of it pretty solid, being shared here. But nothing like personal experience.

We learn from success and we learn much faster from failure. So I hope you learn slowly. :nomo:

Since you're starting out, a suggestion since you are using a single 300w Mars panel. I use seven of them in various capacities so I love that particular light. But, one thing I have found is LED lights are underpowered compared to their claims and ratings. They all have a stated output wattage "equivalent" (300w for example) and also an actual power consumption number (145 w for example), but the number that really counts is LUMENS.

LUMENS are the only true measure of output. LED's just don't have the lumens to be a main light unless you use a bunch of them...for example:

A "600 w" Mars Hydro LED panel (which actually draws 278 watts of electricity @ 110 volts) puts out 9122 lumens. A 320 w (actual 320 watts of power used) MH puts out 21,000 lumens! So, for basically 10% more electricity, a Metal Halide will give you more than twice the light output. That basically equals twice the bud.

That means you are getting only 4,500 lumens with your current light which is sufficient to get those 4 plants to about 10 inches tall then past that they will need a lot more. So keep your light within a foot or so for now and give your plants the concentration of light they need. You can do so with less worry about heat than HID lamps. Just feel the light at plant top level, with your hand, for about 20-30 seconds. If it isn't to hot for your hand it's okay for your plants.

Then think about getting a 400 w HID in a closed, vented hood. If you want real results that's what you will need, minimum, to get anything close to what you want out of the 4 plants you have. Or you can get three more of those 300 w Mars units and grow them to maybe 2 1/2 feet using all 4 together. But if you upgrade to even one 400 W MH you will have enough light to make those 4 plants nicely productive and the return on your effort will more than double.

If you can't for whatever reason that's okay, maybe you don't have the space or you can't run an in-line exhaust fan (necessary). I'm chiming in not to tell you you are doing anything wrong because you can grow with any light, but the amount of light output basically determines your potential. I just want to see everyone get a fair return on their efforts. I spent a lot of my first grows growing decent bud, but I used too little light and so I got small yields. Eventually I got enough light and things got really fun.

Good luck.

Peace, Hyena

I'm so happy to see you here! I love advice and thank you for every bit of input!

Fortunately, I have a flower tent too. It has a two 1000w LED panels (actual draw at wall between 195-205 watts) and one HPS 150w (I know it's small, but 400w would load the 15a circuit @ 125' on 14g wire too hard with the heater and fans.) This summer I will trench to the building and put in a 60a service, then the game changes for the brighter! I think there is a photo or two in my other journal about jolly ranchers:).

Thank you again for stopping by, the photographs in your journal are so well done, I admire the contrast between foreground and background. My phone photo skills bow to yours, thank you for the advice on that in your journals as well. Hopefully my photos will improve with time!! Have a great day.

Cheers!

I'm so happy to see you here! I love advice and thank you for every bit of input!

Fortunately, I have a flower tent too. It has a two 1000w LED panels (actual draw at wall between 195-205 watts) and one HPS 150w (I know it's small, but 400w would load the 15a circuit @ 125' on 14g wire too hard with the heater and fans.) This summer I will trench to the building and put in a 60a service, then the game changes for the brighter!

As Emily Littella would say, "Oh! That's very different!" If you get the reference you're my age. :laughtwo:

Take some time to research the lumen output of all your lights and add it up. That's how you know what you are giving your girls. And remember light loses intensity exponentially, which basically means it is 25% as intense at 50% further distance. So, it matters that you get greater penetration with HID than LED. Girls LOVE greater penetration! :love:

So the move to more power will be a good one. I will say this, you can get a 300w LED panel for $65 now from a bunch of folks. They are great for plumping up the sides and extending the range of your mains some, affordably, that's mostly how I use them.

More Light = More Budz. -Einstein

Peace, Hyena

Good Morning from the Garden! Today was transplant from 4" squares to 1 gallon rounds! The roots looked pretty good on all four. SSH1 is still the mightiest, and its roots were really extraordinary, while SSH2-4 were just what I thought I would find. I ran a knife down each of the sides to cut up the root ball and encourage some explosive root growth in their new pots!
420-magazine-mobile1262439429.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1591665367.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1462244600.jpg
420-magazine-mobile147926706.jpg

In each of their new pots I mixed 10% coco, with 90% potting mix I used to start them (very similar to promix) and watered each one until they were saturated and drained a little. Should see a slight slowdown in growth, but as soon as I see topside movement, they will all be getting topped. Going for fewer plants that are a bit bigger this time. Also will be looking for which one of these (if any) is a good candidate for being a clone donated, and starting to use the clone box. As I look at the roots, I still can't help wonder if SSH1 is male, it sure is fast growing and super strong and sturdy...hope not!!
420-magazine-mobile2059562616.jpg

Here they are in their new pots, you can see SSH5, plugging along on the pedestal:).

Cheers!

Thanks Jesse

The babies are looking well. If mine look half as good as yours I'll be very chuffed.

Keep up the good growing .

Sent from my A0001 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom