A Twisted Tale of Banana Jealousy: Raw & Unpeeled (OGpapa's Version)

Just a short peep.

Seen all the up potting, so I checked in on the ladies. I seen some roots staring to poke the biodegradable bags. So I had to come to a consensus.

If my plants were going in the ground for good. I would keep them in the biodegradable bag, as it would have time to properly break down, and thrive.

Me on the other hand, is thinking after 3-5mths when im ready to chopy plants down. Is the biodegradable bag going to be broken down enough, to not cause me to be picking trash out of my soil? Or?

So I tore them off, and put my friends Into 2.5 gal biodegradable bags. This will not be the final home. Just an intermediate growing area. But allows them plenty of space to spread out!

In the bottom of the bag 1 gal cannibalized soil, 1 cup perlite, 1 cup bio char, 1 tablespoon or dynomyco. Swirl together, Insert little ones, top with Cannibalized soil.

20240320_095856.jpg

20240320_102839.jpg

Been busy! 😕 These ladies have found a new home in 2.5gal biodegradable bags, they have been fed at half nutrients. Within the next week I will bump to full dose nutrients. I was hoping they would all even out a bit, before I bumped the dosage. But if not, we will move forward anyways. Ain't No rest for the Wicked!

Strain: Banana Jealously
Genetics: Hybrid

Stage: Veg
Measurement: above soil
Medium: Cannibalized soil
Pot Size: 2.5gal Biodegradable Bag

Space: 4x8 grow tent
Temperature:73
Humidity:50
VPD: .7 - 1.3

Light: @Mars Hydro Tsw 2000 x 2
Light Height: 24
Power Level:56%
DLI: 16-18 across canopy

Water: 20oz each

PH Water: 6.3

Feeding: 12.5ml p/gal

* Feed - Tps Ultra Veg - all in one
Recommended per manufacturer feed rate 25ml per gal

Pest: none
Deficiency: none
Toxicity: none

Let's get it going!

Been busy! 😕 These ladies have found a new home in 2.5gal biodegradable bags, they have been fed at half nutrients. Within the next week I will bump to full dose nutrients. I was hoping they would all even out a bit, before I bumped the dosage. But if not, we will move forward anyways. Ain't No rest for the Wicked!

Measurement: above soil

Space: 4x8 grow tent
Temperature:73
Humidity:50
VPD: .7 - 1.3

Light: @Mars Hydro Tsw 2000 x 2
Light Height: 24
Power Level:56%
DLI: 16-18 across canopy

Water: 20oz each

PH Water: 6.3

Pest: none
Deficiency: none

Let's get it going!

I was torn between up potting to a 1 or 2 gallon pot. I bought both but decided on going into a 1. Hopefully my other tent will be empty by the time they need it again. I’ll probably use the 2 gallon pots on my next run because I’m sure these girls will still be in veg so the following run will have to stay in plastic pots waiting on these to go to flower.
I don’t have enough grow experience to be able to time things well so, I’m trying to build in some flexibility.
Your girls look great! I can’t wait to get home and check on mine. I need them to dry back a bit so I can get some cal mag on em.
Please keep us posted on the biodegradability of those bags. They would be some much easier to up pot if you can just drop em in pot and all but, I have the same reservations as you with trash in the soil.

I was torn between up potting to a 1 or 2 gallon pot. I bought both but decided on going into a 1. Hopefully my other tent will be empty by the time they need it again. I’ll probably use the 2 gallon pots on my next run because I’m sure these girls will still be in veg so the following run will have to stay in plastic pots waiting on these to go to flower.
I don’t have enough grow experience to be able to time things well so, I’m trying to build in some flexibility.
Your girls look great! I can’t wait to get home and check on mine. I need them to dry back a bit so I can get some cal mag on em.
Please keep us posted on the biodegradability of those bags. They would be some much easier to up pot if you can just drop em in pot and all but, I have the same reservations as you with trash in the soil.
I went back and forth with 1 gal containers also. But the small bags I use, hold over .5 gal didn't see much point in just bumping to a 1gal. I wanted them to have some space to spread out a bit get a good rooting in! So I found the biggest of the biodegradable bags I could. Give me a minute to figure out the details. From here, as soon as I see root penetration in these bags the will go into 5-7 fabric bags. I say 5 to 7 because they hold 5 gal at planting, but as the soil settles it will hold closer to 7. I try to keep my bags full so roots have space to spread and also when I water there is the most moisture retention I can get.

I dont ever have anything figured out. I'm still learning roll with the punches, dive down the rabbit holes, and hope that by harvest my plants salvageable.

Either way they getting chopped, and it all starts over. I'm trying to find the right time to keep my garden harvesting continually. Without having gaps in harvest, or space. Getting there.

Your in a great place! Lord of information and help here at 420!

I went back and forth with 1 gal containers also. But the small bags I use, hold over .5 gal didn't see much point in just bumping to a 1gal. I wanted them to have some space to spread out a bit get a good rooting in! So I found the biggest of the biodegradable bags I could. Give me a minute to figure out the details. From here, as soon as I see root penetration in these bags the will go into 5-7 fabric bags. I say 5 to 7 because they hold 5 gal at planting, but as the soil settles it will hold closer to 7. I try to keep my bags full so roots have space to spread and also when I water there is the most moisture retention I can get.

I dont ever have anything figured out. I'm still learning roll with the punches, dive down the rabbit holes, and hope that by harvest my plants salvageable.

Either way they getting chopped, and it all starts over. I'm trying to find the right time to keep my garden harvesting continually. Without having gaps in harvest, or space. Getting there.

Your in a great place! Lord of information and help here at 420!
Yeah, the guy at the hydro store where I bought the pots said in a perfect world you go up by 2 gallons at a time so, 1-3-5 but too much work for me… lol.
And yeah, this first grow isn’t going to finish the way I wanted. Looks like I’ll cross the finish line on two flat tires a dented fender and the motor smoking and out of gas, but, I should still make it across the line. We just gotta see where I’m going to place.. lol

Yeah, the guy at the hydro store where I bought the pots said in a perfect world you go up by 2 gallons at a time so, 1-3-5 but too much work for me… lol.
And yeah, this first grow isn’t going to finish the way I wanted. Looks like I’ll cross the finish line on two flat tires a dented fender and the motor smoking and out of gas, but, I should still make it across the line. We just gotta see where I’m going to place.. lol
You've got this! It ain't no big deal! You will constantly learn. Quantity doesn't matter as much as quality. In a perfect grow, there are still issues. It's what you learn from them that matters. I've always gone from solo to 1 gal to 5 gal. But Im not fond of seeing the roots bound, circling the containers. One day I won't have to keep up potting. I'm just not brave enough yet to slap a seed in 5gal bag.

You've got this! It ain't no big deal! You will constantly learn. Quantity doesn't matter as much as quality. In a perfect grow, there are still issues. It's what you learn from them that matters. I've always gone from solo to 1 gal to 5 gal. But Im not fond of seeing the roots bound, circling the containers. One day I won't have to keep up potting. I'm just not brave enough yet to slap a seed in 5gal bag.
Well, one thing I’ve learned is that by popping a seed then putting it straight into a 5 gallon container is that it makes watering a pain in the ass. When you water a small plant in a large pot, it takes so long to dry back that it doesn’t leave much opportunity to add nutes. When I did add nutes, it was probably more than the plant needed, then had to wait to water again. I think it was too much back and forth for the smaller plants. It didn’t affect the bigger 3 I had in the other tent so, I believe at this point, that is why one strain did so much better than the other. It’s the only reason I can think of. So yeah, im learning but figuring out how to use what I learned is the hard part.. lol

Well, one thing I’ve learned is that by popping a seed then putting it straight into a 5 gallon container is that it makes watering a pain in the ass. When you water a small plant in a large pot, it takes so long to dry back that it doesn’t leave much opportunity to add nutes. When I did add nutes, it was probably more than the plant needed, then had to wait to water again. I think it was too much back and forth for the smaller plants. It didn’t affect the bigger 3 I had in the other tent so, I believe at this point, that is why one strain did so much better than the other. It’s the only reason I can think of. So yeah, im learning but figuring out how to use what I learned is the hard part.. lol
Agree! We're all learning together!

Hi OGP,
I am planning my summer outdoor grow and want to ask your advice. It regards soil and you seem to have a good handle on soil. I have several 30 gal plastic pots ive used last 2 summers for outdoor growing. Until now Ive emptied the depleted soil, mixed in some compost and used it for my flowers. This time I'm thinking about re-using the soil right in the pot. My thought is to pull the old stem, grow a cover crop in the old soil, then chop it, amend from the top, add some worms and let it go.
If I start now I should have plenty of time to prep before I plant outdoors in six weeks or so.
So would you try this, use a different method for amending the soil, or just get new soil. Id really like to reuse the soil because I "invested" in high quality soil last year when I bought Build a Soil 3.0 recipe.

Hi OGP,
I am planning my summer outdoor grow and want to ask your advice. It regards soil and you seem to have a good handle on soil. I have several 30 gal plastic pots ive used last 2 summers for outdoor growing. Until now Ive emptied the depleted soil, mixed in some compost and used it for my flowers. This time I'm thinking about re-using the soil right in the pot. My thought is to pull the old stem, grow a cover crop in the old soil, then chop it, amend from the top, add some worms and let it go.
If I start now I should have plenty of time to prep before I plant outdoors in six weeks or so.
So would you try this, use a different method for amending the soil, or just get new soil. Id really like to reuse the soil because I "invested" in high quality soil last year when I bought Build a Soil 3.0 recipe.
If you had a successful plant in it, and you had no diseases. I would definitely run it. I look at soil as an investment also. Just be sure to give it a good flush afterwards to rid any build up. Worms would love it.

Alrighty! Update time!

Cold weather will not let go!

Lots of things moving around!

As I was in the tent today taking pictures I noticed some leaf damage on another plant. Hopefully it was my recklessness. But either way OG on the lookout!

@Mars Hydro tsw 2000s had intermittent driver failures, I was able to swap driver around and find 1 set to function. But not worth my time, and insufficient to cover the space in the Herb Grotto.

So everyone welcome @VIVOSUN VSF6450. The perfect fit in this 4x8.

Nutrients- As I been blowing thru liquid nutrients, with the size and demand of the OG garden. I have decided to return to a more fulfilling schedule of nutrients. I liked the idea of an all in one. But you could seriously see deficiencies pop up as the demand soars for the minimal all in one blend. So while it was easier, my plants were never fully satisfied. So when the goods arrive this week I will update the plan.

Measurement: coming soon

Space: 4x8 grow tent - Herb Grotto
Temperature: 74.6f
Humidity: 67%
VPD: .9-1.0 kPa

Light: @VIVOSUN VSF6450
Light Height: 46 inches
Power Level:90%
DLI: 23-30 across canopy

Water: 24oz each

PH Water: 6.4

Pest: Nothing with Banana Jealously. But keeping eyes open, for a leaf chewer!

Deficiency: cal/mag

Let's get it going!

Hi OGP,
Build a Soil sells a amendment mix that I use, it is called "Craft Blend". Just scratch in some prior to your next grow along with some compost or worm castings or both and then again when flowering starts. They have directions on there website. And your cover crop and worms are great ideas, also use mulch for the worms to eat and also helps keep the soil moist.

Build a Soil sells a amendment mix that I use, it is called "Craft Blend". Just scratch in some prior to your next grow along with some compost or worm castings or both and then again when flowering starts. They have directions on there website. And your cover crop and worms are great ideas, also use mulch for the worms to eat and also helps keep the soil moist.
This right here? Craft Blend

This right here? Craft Blend
Yes sir! They used to carry 25 lb bucket, but not anymore. I bought two 12 lb bags on the last Black friday sale. The two years prior I bought the 25lb buckets on Black Friday.

:passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom