Adora's Blueberry Summer Grow

I meant to post this update yesterday but spent all my free time in the evening tending to my girls in bloom. They're so demanding. And then there's all the extra time it takes to hunt down every gnat and murder it...

Blueberry was topped Friday (Day 19). I didn't leave much of a stump since I took the top for a clone, and she didn't have much stem to work with. She responded really well to topping. The remaining growth tips were lighter green with new growth after just a couple hours. The clone is in a freezer bag, off to the side of the tent. It's fate is still undetermined. It might end up getting reversed with STS, depending on the smoke. @HappyHazmat88 I'll definitely be knocking off a bud (or two or three) to sample early... :)

Taken after she was beheaded on Friday:
20220422_182341.jpg

20220422_202858.jpg

With the COB on:
20220422_101851.jpg

Here's some pics from Sunday (Day 21):

20220424_142450.jpg

She has one cute little weirdo leaf. There's a normal leaf on the other side.
20220424_144254.jpg

20220424_205829.jpg

20220424_142445.jpg

That's it from the weekend. Hope you all had a good one.

Hey Arora nice top.... perfect little stump to help prevent splitting later on. And I think I'll be "accidentally knocking off" a little bud from each tonight to see where I am.... Niether are close...but you struck curiousity :laugh: .

But everything looks good so far keep up the good work.

Miss Blueberry looks pretty happy after her topping, didn't bother her a bit....
And then there's all the extra time it takes to hunt down every gnat and murder it...
If you really have a huge gnat problem, I've vacuumed them up with a dustbuster- doesn't get 'em all, but
gets quite a few..works for whiteflies too.

It's odd that you're using the dunks in your plant water, but you still have a gnat problem- :hmmmm: I use it too, (since new soil seems to come pre-charged with gnat eggs) and after about 3 weeks, the gnats are gone for good.

How much dunk material are you using in your plant water? And how much water?(5 gal. 10gal. etc)
It has to be in the water for 24 hours for the bacteria to populate the water, and you should re-dunk the water every 3 weeks or so...just checking...

Carcass said:
If you really have a huge gnat problem, I've vacuumed them up with a dustbuster- doesn't get 'em all, but gets quite a few..works for whiteflies too.
That sounds more effective than slapping at them, spraying Safer's everywhere, and waving sticky traps around like a crazy lady. :laughtwo:

Carcass said:
It's odd that you're using the dunks in your plant water, but you still have a gnat problem- I use it too, (since new soil seems to come pre-charged with gnat eggs) and after about 3 weeks, the gnats are gone for good.
I'm not sure why the gnats are so bad. I've been using the dunks for months and they seem as bad as ever.

I use fresh Promix every grow that I store in a big plastic tote. There's no gnats in the tote. Well, yet.

Carcass said:
How much dunk material are you using in your plant water? And how much water?(5 gal. 10gal. etc)
It has to be in the water for 24 hours for the bacteria to populate the water, and you should re-dunk the water every 3 weeks or so...just checking...
I'm using 1/4 dunk per 1 gal water for the Blueberry, and about 3/4 dunk per 5 gal for the other weed plants and houseplants. I let it steep at least 24 hrs. I put crushed up bits of dunks in the soil as well. I've been adding another chunk of dunk to the water monthly but I'll do it every 3 weeks like you said. The dunks are pretty expensive (otherwise I'd probably be going to town with them like the sticky traps...) and the more concentrated mosquito bits aren't sold in Canada to my knowledge.

It's frustrating not being able to water my girls in flower as often as they would like. I worry about its impact on yield.

Is it possible the package of dunks I bought was bad or something? I just bought a second one.

Sunday Update

This week I've attempted to train the Blueberry per Carcass' tutorial. She ended up with six tops. This was her on Day 23 after her training:
20220426_134812.jpg

Omg. I stopped taking her pic for a few days after that. Lol!

A few days after training:
20220429_145257.jpg

One of her arms busted a seam. It's healing over.
20220501_211202.jpg

I still need to figure out what goes where now and what comes off. I haven't removed anything yet. She's got a lot going on so I'm going to have another read over Carcass' journal here and try to sort her out. She has a lot of little branches coming up below the main tops that I'm not quite sure what to do with now.

This is her today (Day 28):
20220501_150024.jpg
20220501_210941.jpg

She has a lot of little branches coming up below the main tops that I'm not quite sure what to do with now.
She's looking good, Adora!
They do start to look a bit confusing at this point, but once you get a few of those leaves out of the way, it's a lot easier to see what's going on...

Is it possible the package of dunks I bought was bad or something? I just bought a second one.

I was wondering that too. It may just be a bad batch.

I still need to figure out what goes where now and what comes off. I haven't removed anything yet.

I like to take off the first two pairs of shoots from each branch. This keeps the airflow up and minimises PM and mold risks. It also keeps some of the scrappiest lowers down giving you a more rewarding trim job at the finish.

Miss Blueberry looks pretty happy after her topping, didn't bother her a bit....

If you really have a huge gnat problem, I've vacuumed them up with a dustbuster- doesn't get 'em all, but
gets quite a few..works for whiteflies too.

It's odd that you're using the dunks in your plant water, but you still have a gnat problem- :hmmmm: I use it too, (since new soil seems to come pre-charged with gnat eggs) and after about 3 weeks, the gnats are gone for good.

Yeah I swear they sprinkle all medium with gnat eggs just to sell you something to kill them. I put my money on Lost Labs Triple-R Fungus Gnat killer. All organic solution to those pesky little flying fuckers! I treat all exposed medium for the first month until I see zero gnats roaming. One may make it in from time to time from outside though that's very rare. I love your technique with the seedlings and sticky traps! I got around this by starting my beans in coco plugs. Keep up the great work! Blueberry is an amazing strain and super easy to grow.

triplr.JPG

Morning @Adora. Love me some Blueberry, one of my favorite strains, one I have on the go at the moment, although a little further along then yours ,also in hydro but lets not nit pick. Hope you don't mind another sitting in a corner taking it all in. By the way, Canadian girls rock, and Canadian girls growing our favorite herb, what could be better. Your girl is looking great and with the training you have started will be a beautiful plant at the end.:goodluck:

Good morning adora your garden is looking lovely and full.... Looks like your getting solid advice......except for the gnats:rolleyes:...I try to use as little chemical as I can... Your treating the soil but as long as the parents are flying around they will haunt your soil....I recommend using a apple cider vinegar trap....the same used in kitchens.

Take a soda bottle cut in half.
Add :
*1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar(scent draws them to trap)
*A splash of water
* a drop of dish soap ( coats wings so they can't fly out of trap and suffocates them by covering they're skin which is how they breath)
*Stir mixture.
*Place other half of bottle upside down in the bottom half and set in grow area away from plants.
*Within a couple hours you will see how many the trap catches....this is tested and proven by myself*

But all looks great....if you can tuck leaves instead of cutting them you'll be much happier with the growth imo.... I don't remove leaves unless 100% necessary. But I'll be back to bother ya when I see an update....happy Monday!

img_1740.jpg

Friday Update (Day 33)

I am here in @Carcass' masterclass (MasterCass™) tutorial.

She has been trained and defoliated this week and is "relatively" flat. She still has her main six tops and more growth in the centre. I have not yet removed the bits on the undersides.

20220506_124536.jpg

These ones got removed:
20220506_123823.jpg

I forgot about her for a couple days and she got too close to the light. It's super hot. She got a bit tacoey so I backed her up a few inches (from 22" to 24" - right where the manufacturer recommends). Heat stress:
20220503_222134.jpg

The side profile:
20220506_172138.jpg

I opened the new package of dunks and added them to the water jugs on Sunday. The Blueberry was watered with this on Tuesday. She is really short and with all the sticks in there, I'm glad I'm bottom watering her. Seems the easiest way to water with this training method. I need to start thinking about training her beyond the edges of the pot.

She's looking good, Adora!
They do start to look a bit confusing at this point, but once you get a few of those leaves out of the way, it's a lot easier to see what's going on...
Thanks Carcass :)

I was wondering that too. It may just be a bad batch.

I like to take off the first two pairs of shoots from each branch. This keeps the airflow up and minimises PM and mold risks. It also keeps some of the scrappiest lowers down giving you a more rewarding trim job at the finish.
I just started a new package of dunks, but I don't want to get my hopes up. The gnats have broken my spirit.

Yeah I swear they sprinkle all medium with gnat eggs just to sell you something to kill them. I put my money on Lost Labs Triple-R Fungus Gnat killer. All organic solution to those pesky little flying fuckers! I treat all exposed medium for the first month until I see zero gnats roaming. One may make it in from time to time from outside though that's very rare. I love your technique with the seedlings and sticky traps! I got around this by starting my beans in coco plugs. Keep up the great work! Blueberry is an amazing strain and super easy to grow.
Thanks @Ganja Droid 420 and welcome to my grow journal :)

Morning @Adora. Love me some Blueberry, one of my favorite strains, one I have on the go at the moment, although a little further along then yours ,also in hydro but lets not nit pick. Hope you don't mind another sitting in a corner taking it all in. By the way, Canadian girls rock, and Canadian girls growing our favorite herb, what could be better. Your girl is looking great and with the training you have started will be a beautiful plant at the end.:goodluck:
Thank you @bluenoserjoe and :welcome: glad to have another Blueberry enthusiast following along. I'd like to switch to some form of hydro eventually when I upgrade my grow room in the next few years.

Good morning adora your garden is looking lovely and full.... Looks like your getting solid advice......except for the gnats:rolleyes:...I try to use as little chemical as I can... Your treating the soil but as long as the parents are flying around they will haunt your soil....I recommend using a apple cider vinegar trap....the same used in kitchens.

Take a soda bottle cut in half.
Add :
*1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar(scent draws them to trap)
*A splash of water
* a drop of dish soap ( coats wings so they can't fly out of trap and suffocates them by covering they're skin which is how they breath)
*Stir mixture.
*Place other half of bottle upside down in the bottom half and set in grow area away from plants.
*Within a couple hours you will see how many the trap catches....this is tested and proven by myself*

But all looks great....if you can tuck leaves instead of cutting them you'll be much happier with the growth imo.... I don't remove leaves unless 100% necessary. But I'll be back to bother ya when I see an update....happy Monday!
Thanks HappyHazmat :D I don't know if it's that it's finally warming up outside but this week there's way more gnats around my kitchen and bathroom. I'll definitely set up some vinegar traps everywhere though.

This is from the worst plant. It's like I'm doing nothing... lol... It's vile!

I am here in @Carcass' masterclass (MasterCass™) tutorial.
Thank you, Adora, but not a master yet- just a little better than I used to be...:thanks:
Your plant is looking just like it should, you're doing a great job on training her!
method. I need to start thinking about training her beyond the edges of the pot.
I've got to work on my Mom's money pit house in the morning, but tomorrow afternoon I'll post up a couple of ways to train past the edge of the pot, and also show you an easy way to water them when they're short and wide.

and also show you an easy way to water them when they're short and wide.
Well, hell, Adora- I forgot to include the watering thing in my post today...I  will do it tomorrow for sure!

Hi Adorabird :)

I’m just catching up on my journal, and catching up on yours has legit made my heart sing!

You are doing fabulously! Well done you! I’m so pleased!

He’s an absolute grow legend aye?

Update

The Blueberry was uppotted to a 5 gal plastic pot, trained, and watered Wednesday:
20220512_162552.jpg

20220511_125535.jpg

The reversed Gorilla Cookies auto behind her was super dead, so she was removed and is drying for seed collection. Before putting the Blueberry back in, I cleaned the tent from top to bottom with bleach to get rid of pollen etc.

I'm harvesting the flowering girls in my other tent, so my chives and hoya went over there... Now the Blueberry will have the tent to herself and she can fill it up!

Pictures from yesterday (Day 39):
20220512_181029.jpg

20220512_180820.jpg

Oh, look at this cool double seed I pulled off the Northern Lights I'm harvesting. I wonder if it would develop into one of those twin seedlings with the double tap root, though it doesn't look developed enough to germinate.
20220512_151106.jpg

That's all!

Back
Top Bottom