Adora's Blueberry Summer Grow

I'm not sure what those bugs are,(they might even be "good" bugs) but I'd be killing them if I had them on or around my plants- I'm battling whiteflies on one of my outdoor girls, but they're pretty easy to identify...
Great work on the Blueberry training, she is looking sooo good!:thumb:

Bugs always suck! Thanks for the mentions @HashGirl

I do prefer castile soap in most cases when I am doing a foliar spray. If using yucca powder or other saponin products, let it marinate with water only for 10-15 minutes. Gives the saponins more time to disperse and bond with the water. Then mix your warmed up neem oil and start mixing like a damn fool. Then mix some more!
I'm not sure what those bugs are,(they might even be "good" bugs) but I'd be killing them if I had them on or around my plants- I'm battling whiteflies on one of my outdoor girls, but they're pretty easy to identify...
I hate whiteflies!

Amazing growling technique and growth
Welcome to my grow journal, @Jaygrowing :) Thanks. I'm definitely going to keep training photoperiods this way in my 3x3 tent.

Hope this helps :)
Thanks Trala :love::circle-of-love:
#teamworkdreamwork
I need to go get caught up on Cleo!

Yes, add the Neem oil to the water you use to water your plants. I posted BakedARea's tip about dish soap for the emulsion.
Thank you, Hashgirl. Adding dish soap seems to turn neem oil into a thick layer of scum in my water. I'm not sure what's going on there. So far I've just been using it without the emulsifier.

Mornin adora....sorry your struggling with the bugs.... At this point I'd be sitting there with a flambe torch hunting them down one by scorched one lol. But hash girls board seems to have some useful stuff to help out. Best wishes growmie.
Heya Happy. Yeah it doesn't help that I spend most of my time home so I'm constantly checking my plants and worrying about things. :p I'll be making my way over to your journal in a few, grobro.

Ouch, sorry about the whiteflies. Whatever the bugs are on my plants, they're still crawling around after a week in a bag with DE so I sure hope they're harmless. Lol.
And thanks:love:

Bugs always suck! Thanks for the mentions @HashGirl

I do prefer castile soap in most cases when I am doing a foliar spray. If using yucca powder or other saponin products, let it marinate with water only for 10-15 minutes. Gives the saponins more time to disperse and bond with the water. Then mix your warmed up neem oil and start mixing like a damn fool. Then mix some more!

I hate whiteflies!
Hi @BakedARea :welcome:
Looks like I need to add Castile soap to my grow shelf. I was skipping the emulsifier (just warming the neem and shaking like crazy) since when I added dawn dish soap it turned the neem water scummy and sticky. Maybe I was adding too much?

Blueberry Update

I've been watching the bugs on my bagged houseplants, and I think they're shiny springtails and not thrips. They don't turn into anything that flies, I'm pretty sure they have furcula, and there isn't the pattern of leaf damage on my plants... definitely wouldn't be the case if those were thrips, eh? I really don't need something else munching on my roots though.

20220523_115845.jpg

20220523_115545.jpg

She showed her first pre-flowers yesterday morning (Day 51). She smells really strong and skunky for a plant that's still in veg.
20220525_190735_.jpeg

I'm going to flip her this weekend! Thank you for reading along guys and gals.:green_heart:

Congrats on the pistils and the upcoming flip! Looks ready to rumble. :)
Adding dish soap seems to turn neem oil into a thick layer of scum in my water. I'm not sure what's going on there. So far I've just been using it without the emulsifier.
I've never seen neem oil that needed anything added to it. It comes with its own mixing instructions and the oil is an emulsifier by itself. Just follow the directions on the bottle (mine says 2Tbs/gallon I believe) and use it as is.

Heya Happy. Yeah it doesn't help that I spend most of my time home so I'm constantly checking my plants and worrying about things. :p I'll be making my way over to your journal in a few, grobro
Hahaha grobro....I love that. But yea Im sorry bugs are ridiculous they wreak havok I haven't had anything but a few gnats.

But that blue berry is beautiful... She's definitely going to be a good one for you. Have a great day growmie

Looks like I need to add Castile soap to my grow shelf. I was skipping the emulsifier (just warming the neem and shaking like crazy) since when I added dawn dish soap it turned the neem water scummy and sticky. Maybe I was adding too much?
You can try mixing it in warmer water. I have experienced the thick neem mucky situation as well. It what kind of neem are you using btw?

I've never seen neem oil that needed anything added to it. It comes with its own mixing instructions and the oil is an emulsifier by itself. Just follow the directions on the bottle (mine says 2Tbs/gallon I believe) and use it as is.
I will have to slightly disagree. There are multiple versions of neem oil. Some which are 100% cold pressed neem. Literally the hardest to keep in suspension with water. It requires a high amount of mixing and aeration to fully emulsify with the water. Then there are products like EcoWorks that have 30% other ingredients to help keep it in suspension. Still asks to frequently shake but it is much easier to mix! So far that is my favorite to use.

I will have to slightly disagree. There are multiple versions of neem oil. Some which are 100% cold pressed neem. Literally the hardest to keep in suspension with water. It requires a high amount of mixing and aeration to fully emulsify with the water. Then there are products like EcoWorks that have 30% other ingredients to help keep it in suspension. Still asks to frequently shake but it is much easier to mix! So far that is my favorite to use.
I'm saying I haven't seen neem oil for plants that didn't come with mixing instructions. If it doesn't say add this or that, don't. I use either Southern Ag (not cold pressed) or Captain Jack (cold pressed). Both have the same instructions: mix with water and shake well before using.

Shake shake spray, shake shake spray!

Hi Adora, I'm late to your journal. Your blueberry looks fabulous. Awesome on the flip, and I look forward to the flower show! I hope it's smooth sailing and without bug issues.

Thanks Shed :green_heart: How often do you recommend adding neem to the water that I water with? I'm hoping it will decrease gnat larvae.

Hahaha grobro....I love that. But yea Im sorry bugs are ridiculous they wreak havok I haven't had anything but a few gnats.

But that blue berry is beautiful... She's definitely going to be a good one for you. Have a great day growmie
Thanks Happy!! I'm really excited she's about to bloom. I still need to get on top of these gnats. They're probably the one thing messing with my grows the most right now. Not just by destroying the roots, but also the mold and budrot they bring when they die in my buds.

You can try mixing it in warmer water. I have experienced the thick neem mucky situation as well. It what kind of neem are you using btw?

It's this stuff:
20220527_170924.jpg

As for the directions, I have no idea why anyone would want to rub this stuff onto their desired areas. I'll add it to my water at 2 tbsp/gallon. How often should I water with it?

O

M

G

Good job Adorabird!

:cheer: :circle-of-love::cheer::circle-of-love::cheer::circle-of-love:
Thanks Trala :kisstwo::love::love: I'm so happy with how she turned out. I'm stoked to have trained her along with you guys.

Welcome to the gang fellow Canadian! The Tim Hortons coffee truck is over there. I like your plants best of luck!
Hello TwelveCoffee, welcome to my grow :) Damn, there's a Tim's truck? But my cupboard already looks like this,:laugh:

Blueberry Update (Day 57, flip Day 1)

I sprayed her with neem before flipping her last night to 12/12. It will be a little lonelier now that I won't be able to see her first thing in the morning when I wake up.

She has a couple holes where I broke off a branch or two or three but overall I think she looks alright. Man I hate neem but I sure love how pretty they look after they get sprayed.

20220530_150420.jpg

20220530_150700.jpg

20220530_151609.jpg

She's 34"x30" and 9.5" tall.:laugh:
Hope your week is off to a great start! :green_heart:

Thanks Shed :green_heart: How often do you recommend adding neem to the water that I water with? I'm hoping it will decrease gnat larvae.

Thanks Happy!! I'm really excited she's about to bloom. I still need to get on top of these gnats. They're probably the one thing messing with my grows the most right now. Not just by destroying the roots, but also the mold and budrot they bring when they die in my buds.

It's this stuff:
20220527_170924.jpg

As for the directions, I have no idea why anyone would want to rub this stuff onto their desired areas. I'll add it to my water at 2 tbsp/gallon. How often should I water with it?

Thanks Trala :kisstwo::love::love: I'm so happy with how she turned out. I'm stoked to have trained her along with you guys.

Hello TwelveCoffee, welcome to my grow :) Damn, there's a Tim's truck? But my cupboard already looks like this,:laugh:
Thank you kindly :) yup your Canadian alright but do you have the Boston creams?!

I use either Southern Ag (not cold pressed) or Captain Jack (cold pressed). Both have the same instructions: mix with water and shake well before using.
Yes. Those products already have other ingredients mixed with it. To help with mixing, emulsion, and a surfactant for adhesion. So they don't need anything else mixed. I was referring to 100% cold pressed neem oil. It is much more difficult to work with IMO.

or the directions, I have no idea why anyone would want to rub this stuff onto their desired areas. I'll add it to my water at 2 tbsp/gallon. How often should I water with it?
So this bottle you have appears to be geared toward personal care. It does appear to be the same oil I use.

This is what I use and the instructions for its use for foliar sprays. Notice it says to include soap as an emulsifier. I normally mix 1 gallon of spray. I use everywhere in my garden. If you only need a small spray bottle, then it's even easier.

What I tend to do is get 8oz of warm water and mix the total amount of the neem oil needed for my gallon of water. I will add a couple drops of castile soap and I mix...and mix...and mix. I will be using a battery powered milk frother soon. I use a canning jar and just start shaking. Remember that after you're done mixing, add it to the rest of your water. Do your best to have the water warm before mixing in your solution. It will ensure that it won't coagulate as much.

I would not use soap for a drench solution. You could lightly spray the surface with with foliar spray though. Let it only soak in for an inch or so. I hope it works great for you.
Screenshot_20220530-220854_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20220530-220924_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20220530-220945_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Blueberry Update (Day 57, flip Day 1)

I sprayed her with neem before flipping her last night to 12/12. It will be a little lonelier now that I won't be able to see her first thing in the morning when I wake up.

She has a couple holes where I broke off a branch or two or three but overall I think she looks alright. Man I hate neem but I sure love how pretty they look after they get sprayed.

20220530_150420.jpg

20220530_150700.jpg

20220530_151609.jpg

She's 34"x30" and 9.5" tall.:laugh:
Hope your week is off to a great start! :green_heart:

OMG! She's so gorgeous. You truly are the Canopy Queen. :adore:

Omg I think we may have found our CarCanopy Queen?!

What do you think @Carcass?
I am so super in awe
:)

I think you both are doing a fantastic job...
As @Trala says- It makes me big smile that I helped a bit!

How often do you recommend adding neem to the water that I water with? I'm hoping it will decrease gnat larvae.
I've never used neem for watering plants though it may work. I would recommend mosquito dunks for gnats per @Carcass' instructions:

"I just throw 1/4 of a dunk in the 5 gallon bucket every 3 weeks or so to keep the gnats away...
If I have an active gnat infestation, I'll use half a dunk in the bucket for a little more killing power, then
I go back to 1/4 of a dunk to keep the growspace gnat-free...
A quarter of a dunk is equal to 1 tbsp. of the bits, if you decide to do it this way.

The reason I do it this way is that it takes 24 hours for the bacteria from the dunks to populate the water, and I don't want to have to fill a gallon jug 24 hours in advance of when I water the plant, so I just treat 5 gallons at a time, and the water is always ready to use."

As Baked mentioned, you bought personal care neem rather than neem for plants. If it's 100% cold pressed then it should probably be mixed using the instructions on the bottle Baked posted.
It is much more difficult to work with IMO.
I buy whatever is at Home Depot, and that is a breeze to use.

Back
Top Bottom