AKGramma's Perpetual Grow

BBL grow day 23. #1 looking great, showing 5th pair of new leaves, nodes nice and tight. #2 was stretching, even tho light is only 2" away. Added more soil for support. #3 seed withered away without sprouting, so replanted with another BBL seed. Mystery seed is emerging today.

Day_2310.JPG

I realized that roots don't like light, so I used tissue paper to cover the cups. I use clear cups because I like to check the roots now and then. BBL#1 really responded to the covering. Its roots went all over and around the inside, at only 23 days. I can take a peek when I want to, without light-damaging the roots.

Am thinking that these Indicas will need transplanting much sooner than the Sativas did.

24 days: BBL#1's leaves are getting larger, so th 5th pair of leaves is taking their time to emerge. BBL#2 keeps stretching. I may have to do a replant to set it deeper. Mystery seed is fully emerged.

I saw immature fungus gnats crawling on the soil surface, so I sprayed the soil with Garden Safe, a pyrethium-based organic insect killer for gardens. This brand seems to be gentle on the plants, but deadly to the bugs. (and it's available at the supermarket)

I added another desk lamp to shine right down on Mystery Seed, so maybe it won't stretch as much as BBL #2 did. It has a standard 13Watt CFL, so it isn't contributing that much. When I'm satisfied that the babies are growing well, they'll be moved to the top shelf of the new veg area I set up last week. The lighting will be much better there.

25 days: BBL #1 is beginning to look like a real juvenile plant. It's growing so fast! BBL#2 stretched so much that I had to lay it down and bury most of its stem. IN about an hour, it was already facing upward, and its 1st pair of leaves have doubled in size.

Mystery seed is still sitting with its cotyledons open, with a microscopic bud in the middle. As slow as Mystery #1 is, I'm predicting it will be a sativa. I sure hope so.

I had to harvest my last sativa in flower, as she dropped almost all her leaves and the remaining sugar leaves started turning. The colas are very hard and the trics looked cloudy to my old eyes. My whole trailer smells like diesel fuel! LOL! I got a lot of mini bud and sugar leaves for my own use. I dry and powder that, melt it together with coconut oil, and put it into capsules for my nighttime medicine.

Looking at the mother sativa, the only healthy sativa I have, and thinking I should try air-layering one of her five branches. Still waiting on the clones to root, and mother wants to flower so bad. She has preflowers all over her, and she's near 36" tall and wide. If I flower her now, I'll have no chance of crossing her with a male bubblelicious, when one matures. And I will lose that strain.

The family smokers are now either growing their own from my older clones or buying from someone else, so I'm using more of the harvest for my own meds. The BBL is advertised to be VERY good for meds, as they give a body high that reduces pain.

I'm encouraged by the rapid development of the BBLs, since that means I'll get more harvests this year, and healthy clones. I think the 7th generation Sativa clones just are too worn out to root.

No sign yet of the replanted BBL #3.

Day 26: BBL#1's leaves are still getting larger. The first pair of real leaves have withered away, but the rest look great. Pair #5 are still growing more fingers, so I cant' see the bud for #6 pair.

BBL#2 responded very well to being laid out and buried. With a stronger stem, its leave growth has increased dramatically. The second pair of leaves are emerging.

Still no sign of BBL#3.

I had to put my sativa mother under flower today, as she is too big for the veg area and is covered with preflowers. I have one juvenile left who seems to be slowly recovering from the last round of mite treatments.

The clones from the mother just might take root! I'm seeing what looks like roots emerging from the bottom-most node of several clones. They were taken and placed in water on 12/7/2015.

Same day, 9:35 PM. BBL #3 emerged from the soil! This proves that the previous seed was a dud. It seems 3 days is normal for the strain. IN a day or two, I'll post another pic of the 4 new babies.

BBL#1s 4th and 5th pair of leaves sprouted more fingers. They are up to 5 fingers now. Having grown sativas last time, I am amazed at the difference in color, texture and speed of growth with these Indicas! I may get spoiled and not want to mess with Sativas, which are slow and kind of picky.

Naw, I still like Sativas, as they were my first experience with the hobby.

BBL#2 second pair of leaves are emerging. BBL#3 is struggling with opening its cotyledons, as they are bent. Later today I might insert a small needle between them and try to separate them.

Mystery seed is acting like a typical sativa, just sitting there doing nothing but enlarging its cotyledons. Unlike the others, it has not stretched, so does not seem as sensitive to light intensity as the BBLs.

Pics in next message.

First though was, this looks like an advertisement or a post card. Great looking girl and great pic of her.

It's so shiny, it looks like a wax replica. The Sativas were not shiny like this.

Update: same day: BBL#3 was born with only one cotyledon. I can't see the terminal bud yet with the hand lens, but there is hope that it is there. There is a swelling at the base of the single cotyledon. :goodluck:

Harvest from last sativa was 14 oz dry plus change. Already jarred with a humidipak.

Update: same day: BBL#3 was born with only one cotyledon. I can't see the terminal bud yet with the hand lens, but there is hope that it is there. There is a swelling at the base of the single cotyledon. :goodluck:

Harvest from last sativa was 14 oz dry plus change. Already jarred with a humidipak.

Wild, first grow was all perfect germinations, our second has had one with a dud cotyledon, and a second with one cotyledon and no terminal bud after nearly 72 hours.

Mystery seed's cotyledons are twice as long as the BBLs. Beginning to see some green in the growing tip. BBL#3 has not shown any growth at the base of its single cotyledon. In a couple more days, I'll know if its a failed mutation. After that, I'll replace it with yet another BBL seed.

BBL # 1 and 2 are healthy and almost big enough to put onto the vegging shelf. For now, I still want to keep a vigilant eye on them, till I'm sure they can grow without supervision. :laughtwo:

BBL#3 at day 4 has not shown any growth at the base of its single cotyledon, although I THINK I see a tiny bulge of bud there. I have soaked and planted another seed near this plant, making this the 3rd BBL seed for this cup.

Mystery seed's first pair of leaves never developed past two bumps with withered tips, but the second pair is beginning to emerge. These had better hurry up, as the cotyledons are dying and will no longer be able to nourish this plant.

It's been a few since I posted.

BBL#1 (33 days old) and #2 (12 days old) are growing as expected.

#1 is about ready for transplant, as the roots are all over the inside of the cup. I'll give her a couple more days and then up-pot her to her juvenile pot (about 1/2 gallon recycled juice bottle).

BBL#3: I haven't terminated this mutation yet, but 3 daays ago, I planted another seed in the cup. As soon as it pops, I'll terminate the mutant. Nothing whatsoever is happening to that one, and it is beginning to fade.

Mystery seed (10 days old) is finally showing some fingers from its first leaves. They are very thin, so I expect this one to be a Sativa. The fact that it is taking so long may indicate that it was from old stock, because up to now, it has not been all that vigorous.

Mystery seed day 10
Mystery_1_day_10.JPG

Entire grow, BBL #1 rear, right. BBL #2 front, right. Mystery seed rear, left. BBL #3 mutant front, left
BBL_Grow_Day_33.JPG

What is REALLY sad is that 2 of the BBL seeds were bad so far. One never did sprout, this one is a mutant. I sure hope the third seed I planted does a whole lot better. These were paid for. The mystery seeds were freebies in the order.

While the two healthy ladies have been growing at my workstation, I have been covering them at night with inverted pop bottle bottoms to keep kitty kat from eating them at night. When I uncap them in the morning, they are starting to give off a slight aroma, but I can't describe it yet. Certainly mild, and much different than the sativas.

As slow as my sativa in flower is, one of these might grow up fast enough to make pollen. I want to cross Bubblelicious with OG Kush (sativa-heavy). My sativas are down to 2 plants, and they are losing their vigor after 5 or so generations of clones. So I want to save some of the strain as seed, and hopefully get the best of both worlds.

I get so sad when I get one of those single leaf mutants. Always doomed for failure. Sucks man. But those other girls are mighty fine.

Man, this is getting like buying a new car. It's only after you've bought it and owned it for a week or two that you notice all the other ones on the road.

I hadn't seen a single leaf mutant (or just didn't commit it to memory) until the first two weeks of this year.

TL/DR, we just killed off our single cotyledon cripple. And just like you the first one we tried never sprouted. In our case it's a pack of CKS White Widow fems.

Back
Top Bottom