Beautiful flowers on that Candida, Amy, and I love the "old-school" trim! :bravo:

FYI, you typically want to hang (or "low & slow") dry to 70% RH then jar and burp down to 62% at which point they're safe for long-term storage. They will continue to cure as long as the RH remains ABOVE 55%. If the RH drops below 55%, they stop curing and, even if you raise the humidity back up, they will not cure any further.

I hope that helps! ;)

Beautiful flowers on that Candida, Amy, and I love the "old-school" trim! :bravo:

FYI, you typically want to hang (or "low & slow") dry to 70% RH then jar and burp down to 62% at which point they're safe for long-term storage. They will continue to cure as long as the RH remains ABOVE 55%. If the RH drops below 55%, they stop curing and, even if you raise the humidity back up, they will not cure any further.

I hope that helps! ;)
If I could ask, I waited until the stems of the buds felt like they could snap and then jarred. The RH was sadly about 52-55RH. At what point do the buds go in the jar for you?

Perhaps my question was too vague, I should have asked what are you looking for when you peek in the drying tent that would indicate they are at 70%RH? Conventional wisdom says to jar when the stems feel they are just about to snap. I found this was too late.

Perhaps my question was too vague, I should have asked what are you looking for when you peek in the drying tent that would indicate they are at 70%RH? Conventional wisdom says to jar when the stems feel they are just about to snap. I found this was too late.
The word "snap" can be mis-leading. You want them stems to bend with a "snapping sound" but not "snap into two pieces" (break). Usually, I'm jarring too early, but that's easy to deal with. If the RH goes above 70% when you first jar, just remove the buds and put them in a paper bag or cardboard box overnight and try re-jarring the next day. Repeat, if necessary.

I hope that helps! ;)
:thanks:
Yes it does - thanks. Every harvest i get a little better at this.
I do like a good old-school trim :smokin:

I usually aim for just that in terms of drying, but have been worried about mould because I can’t always control amnbient conditions the way I’d like to so this time i didn’t mind them getting lower than 70 before going into the jars. I’ll aim for that going forward. I actually did pretty much exactly that last year and then the ambient humidity outside was 70-80% all the while I was curing so opening the jars became a risky business! KInd of have to work around the capacity to control the conditions. That will get better going forward.

The critical mass may not be as good as it could have been, but i’d Rather that than mould. I also wasn’t well enough to snip and jar it right at the crucial time so I had to leave it a couple of days longer right when the weather got dry, stuff happens. And then we toke
:passitleft:

@Archiweedies I try to catch it when the bend sounds like it cracks on the inside but doesn’t quite snap on the outside. Certainly not snapping clean, as Krip mentioned. Then it gets confusing as to which branch does one do this with :laughtwo: I usually do it with ones that are around 2mm thick. Other folks may do it differntly. ALso - some bud is just thicker and denser. These Candida flowers are lovely sativa like clusters that rent very dense and when teh stems did teh right kind of crack - the buds landed at 60% in the jar - so thre’s a little leeway for the density of the buds I think.

ALso - I remember something Doc posted about drying once, and I hope i’m remembering this right :eek:, that it is good to start the drying process with quite low ambient RH and let the RH rise as the plant dries (so it dries a bit quickly and then slower as it reaches the optimum). I don’t remember the exact numbers he suggested but I aim to keep it at 50-55% or so the first day or 2 and then let it rise into the low-mid 60s.

:Namaste:

remember something Doc posted about drying once, and I hope i’m remembering this right :eek:
I am, so that’s good :smokin:

It was easy to find - my search mojo seems to be getting better...
I have a room for drying/curing that stay at 65 degrees and 50 to 60 rH. I start off at 50 and then raise it over a few days time. Buds can hang on the wire for 2 weeks if need be, because the climate in the room is good for that.
It sounded good to me at the time (a climate controlled drying room after all! :eek:) and we know his produce is primo... so, that’s aspirational. I let things get a bit too warm a few times with these latest harvests - into the low 70s a lot of the time during the day. That’s something to improve on. It’s fun to think that this great ganja I’m growing is only going to improve over the years.
:Namaste:

I have read a number of things now. I heard of the 7-7-7 rule. 70f at 70rh for 7 days. I used sheds method which seems to be working well. Started off at 50rh then daisy to 62ish for about 7 days then into the jars and burping in 62ish rh. Guess I won’t really know for a couple months how good the cure can get.

The word "snap" can be mis-leading. You want them stems to bend with a "snapping sound" but not "snap into two pieces" (break). Usually, I'm jarring too early, but that's easy to deal with. If the RH goes above 70% when you first jar, just remove the buds and put them in a paper bag or cardboard box overnight and try re-jarring the next day. Repeat, if necessary.

Thanks. I tried drying in my tent for the first time. Usually I do brown paper bag drying as I’m most comfortable with it. I’m also usually a little too wet when I go in the jars as well. My typically low RH here will dry your produce out so fast, sometimes an hour or two in a bag can drop it five percent.
My tent experience caught me off guard because it took almost 7 days to dry (what I thought was dry was actually 52%RH). The buds looked just like they did when I cut them, aside from their size of course.

Definitely feels like there can be some magic in the drying and curing when done right. I flirted with perfection this time and the results are easily the most flavorful and the smells are so much more pronounced. Probably doesn’t hurt that it’s delicious hi-Brix stuff eh?

Cheers guys!
That’s something to improve on. It’s fun to think that this great ganja I’m growing is only going to improve over the years.
Yes! I can control environment to a point but keeping a room 65F when it’s 90 in my garage isn’t gonna happen at this point. Maybe once the kids move out I can move my grow indoors to an unused bedroom but for now it’s the garage. Cheers AG :thumb:

Maybe once the kids move out I can move my grow indoors to an unused bedroom
My youngest son and his girlfriend just moved out a couple weeks ago. However, I don't dare suggest to my wife that we turn their room into a grow room -- that would turn out poorly for me! :thedoubletake:

keeping a room 65F when it’s 90 in my garage isn’t gonna happen at this point.
:thumb: I can see why the ‘lo and slo’ fridge drying folks get a whole fridge to dedicate to the cause! I can’t justify the cost if doing that ATM. I wonder if a thing exists that keeps things cool but not cold
It’s clear that drying n curing is an artform all to itself and part of what separates the very good from the exceptional ;) (it’s also possible to royally screw it up! Been there done that - once ;) )

sheds method which seems to be working well. Started off at 50rh then daisy to 62ish for about 7 days then into the jars and burping in 62ish rh
Ok so that would also be where I’d seen the start at 50% and rasie it slowly, approach - at Shed’s. It makes a lot of sense to slow things down as it gets closer.

My youngest son and his girlfriend just moved out a couple weeks ago. However, I don't dare suggest to my wife that we turn their room into a grow room -- that would turn out poorly for me! :thedoubletake:
If you tell her you want to turn it into a "nursery" she might not catch on until it's too late! :rofl:

I just quoted you Krip, was telling @Liam5677 about my chop, dry, cure process. Don't taze me bro!!!!

Not YET... :)
Exactly! :high-five::laugh:
It’s clear that drying n curing is an artform all to itself and part of what separates the very good from the exceptional ;) (it’s also possible to royally screw it up! Been there done that - once ;) )
Couldn’t agree more, but then we agree often don’t we AG! :circle-of-love::high-five:

I have flirted with perfection and I feel like I’m smoking something different.. smells and flavor off the charts with my most recent harvest. If my method gets better, I can’t wait to see how good it can get.

Back
Top Bottom