Amy Gardner's First Journal - Outdoor - Critical Cure & Chaos In The Forest

Sounds like you have quite a plan. And second guessing your chop date is a sign of strength!

Yeah that ^^^ I thought I was the only one that fussed over chopping plants.

I change my mind for about a week easy... then just do it.

Bush in hand worth 2 in the ground... as they say.

Pretty much couch lock in my mind, is genetic. I can grow a 100% Indica and chop early.. still going to have that sedative quality. Sure the freshies will have some zip but its soon followed by relaxation.

Sativa the same but opposite. Freshies are sometimes frightening and cure into a lot of zippyness with no sedative qualities.

I think why we see soooo many poly hybrids. Trying to get the best of both worlds.

Start thinking genetics.. we are just getting going with scientific test results. We are just beginning to understand what it is we are even testing.

I remember a few years ago when there were like 8 different terpines they were measuring. Now look at it... and those are just the alcohols which as we know are very volatile.

It's going to come around... there are countries with scientists studying this plant .... just tip of the iceberg. $$ going to be the big motivator.

Imagine that we are just finding out about the health effects of cannabis, there's a lot of other plants and insects with similar qualities that we don't even know about. I bet our ancestors knew.. and some passed the knowledge down with the oral traditions.

Think about why we like to look at Cannabis flower pictures and the real thing... they are not all that picturesque in comparrison to other flowers but we humans sure are attracted to them... likely there's some significance in our genetic makup that makes it so??

Amy good luck with your harvests... when ever they may take place. You will know when the time is right. The question will be answered.

Oh and watch the weather... that's always helpful for me.

High Bob - thanks! That all is sage advice there sir. Genetics yes, the CBD CC is an indica dominant so it’s going to be relaxing for sure. After my discovery about CBG and the recessive gene that gives rise to higher levels of it in the plant and then neiko’s comment about Panama’s parentage, I started to think about the very things you mention above. That CBG is likely what makes Panama so special as a sativa. I love sativas mentally, but these days should be tempering it for the sake of my CNS/ANS. Panama has been floating around the top of my list for next year outside... that recessive gene in its parentage just might tip the balance in its favour!
oh and...
Oh and watch the weather... that's always helpful for me.
So - do you avoid harvest after or before rain? I’ve been thinking Monday - but it’s forecast to rain for 4days afterwards! I have an aircon controlled space for hang drying... it’d be better to harvest before that rain than after it, yes? Or does lots of rain before harvest not really affect things?
:Namaste:

I’ve been a bit distracted the last few days (exploring my new camera, helping out on the new website a little bit, preparing for harvests and doing an overhaul on my partners laptop - needed a spring clean and new OS instal, still slowly reinstating all the software - I’m the household IT department). Today was nearly 40degC with ripping winds - places to the south had bad fires. Thankfully not here. So no photo shoot today!

So in lieu of a proper update here’s some photos of the professor... it’s bud & cola central in my garden at the moment... these were taken either yesterday or 3 days ago

:slide:

I reckon another 2 or so weeks for her. (Hopefully that’s what it is because that would make it a full moon harvest at Easter... :love:)

There’ll be a harvest update on the CBD Critical Cure in a day or so - she got a big drink this morning to help with the heat of the day... looked very fine at the end of the day - she might come down tomorrow...

Oh - and this one. The golden tiger cross in the pot catches some very late afternoon sun rays at the moment...
:surf:

I harvested CBDCC yesterday. Had to be done, there’s a week of rain coming and I didn’t fancy harvesting after that! And I have to spread out the harvests so I can pace myself with them. I’m pretty well smashed from it and need a couple of days in bed.

Took heaps of great pics of branches and bud washing. :thumb: Will post a harvest update once I’ve recovered a little from the deed :battingeyelashes:

:love::Namaste:

Well done Amy. :high-five: Take your time getting the strength levels back up. Pictures can come later.

And oh, my goodness, has that photo thread positively effected everyone's photo skills! I was just looking at MagicJim's and gasping at their stunning clarity, and here you are with this fabulous LABs pictorial.

Geez..... I'll have lots of catching up to do. :battingeyelashes:

Incidentally, neither my daughter nor I find the CBD Critical Cure to be relaxing in the way we typically think of indicas. I can't take more than one capsule at a time myself, or my system gets going too fast. Lol! One capsule and I'm cruising. The daughter says they just keep her in balance, the baseline for her regimen. It counters all of her depression and most of the anxiety, leaving only occasional breakthrough anxiety. She no longer has some of the pain she used to live with too, another benefit too important to leave out.

But it doesn't cause either one of us to get that relaxed indica feel I don't enjoy, and do my best to avoid. It comes with a wonderful sense of wellbeing.

When we were in Jamaica we took a day trip to a grow in the hills. After the tour the top man there invited us back to his home so we could see the nursery and some plants he had growing in his yard. It was my first time standing beside plants growing under the sun, a visceral experience burned into my memory banks. There's nothing quite as delicious, is there?

Looking through your pictures transports me back to that blissful moment. Tonight I was speaking by phone with a friend I made on that trip, a native of the island. That's a double whammy of Jamaica for me this evening. How sweet is that? :hug::hug::hug:

Found ya... linked my sig so it should work.. and nice everything lol... sorry in a hurry

High Hacker! Big 420 welcome to my journal :welcome:

You’re here in time for the fun stuff that’s for sure - i’m In the harvest window. ONe don’t - report coming momentarily... and over the next 2-4 weeks another 2. Then the last few, the solstice babies, will hopefully be ready late May. It’s a long grow outdoors!

stay frosty Madd!

And oh, my goodness, has that photo thread positively effected everyone's photo skills! I was just looking at MagicJim's and gasping at their stunning clarity, and here you are with this fabulous LABs pictorial
Haha - that’s funny because my pictutorials are mostly inspired by yours! (Did you see a few pages back that I discovered an Australian equivalent to horsetail? Did a pictutorial on making tea with that too) Those were snaps with my phone :battingeyelashes:

Incidentally, neither my daughter nor I find the CBD Critical Cure to be relaxing in the way we typically think of indicas. I can't take more than one capsule at a time myself, or my system gets going too fast. Lol! One capsule and I'm cruising. The daughter says they just keep her in balance, the baseline for her regimen. It counters all of her depression and most of the anxiety, leaving only occasional breakthrough anxiety. She no longer has some of the pain she used to live with too, another benefit too important to leave out.

But it doesn't cause either one of us to get that relaxed indica feel I don't enjoy, and do my best to avoid. It comes with a wonderful sense of wellbeing.
That’s good to hear. I’m not a fan of the indica ‘drop’ either. Even tho i’m told it’s what I need - I don;t enjoy it, it’s very stoney... and i prefer to feel high...

When we were in Jamaica we took a day trip to a grow in the hills. After the tour the top man there invited us back to his home so we could see the nursery and some plants he had growing in his yard. It was my first time standing beside plants growing under the sun, a visceral experience burned into my memory banks. There's nothing quite as delicious, is there?

Looking through your pictures transports me back to that blissful moment. Tonight I was speaking by phone with a friend I made on that trip, a native of the island. That's a double whammy of Jamaica for me this evening. How sweet is that? :hug::hug::hug:

Susan :love: that is indeed very sweet. I’m very moved that my garden contributed to a Jamaican moment for you. You just took me there :hug:

Morning Amy

Just coming by to check on you.
Girls are looking great as usual. Do take care of yourself we do need you healthy:green_heart:

Keep it Frosty:cool:

High foxy :high-five:
Thanks for dropping by - I hope you’re doing well. I’m well enough to type and edit pics today so I’m about to drop the harvest update... I can’t hold it in any longer. These pics are burning a hole in my digital pocket!

:circle-of-love:

Harvest Update: CBD Critical Cure

Doesn’t the top cola look gorgeous in the morning sunlight...? :yummy:

This was still an early harvest - I can see that now. It was time though, for many other reasons than ripeness and I’m going to have some lovely meds of this one, no doubt about it! :slide:

Let’s start with a couple of final shots - the first thing I did was get on there and take out all the garden tie holding her up (which was to stop her crowding out the others so much). Her skirts are very heavy, no?

Actually the first thing I did was prepare the wash buckets...

So let the chop begin! The first cut...

I thought it looked very elegant at this stage...

I’m so happy I stuck to my guns to get the lovely top cola I was after - I’ll employ the technique again I think!

And here, I realise what little space she was growing in. Next year I’ll have one plant alone in there I think. (A nice big Panama sounds about right)

I’m thinking this GTxNL pot might get placed in that spot for better light. I’ll bury the pot a bit so she can get her toes into the garden bed. She’s looking lovely don’t you agree?

SO this is the haul

Let the wash begin!

And this is why we wash!

Hangdrying... I moved them around a bit once the sun got full on, but they hung dried for 3hours or so (while I collapsed! :volcano-smiley:)

Leftover leaf. I know I ought to have done something useful with it but what it contributed to the compost bin will be useful too. The worms will love it and they and the microbes in there will turn it into goodness for the garden. I was too exhausted to deal with it - I have plenty of buds!

After line drying for a few hours I collected it and took a wet weight

There’s a bit of stalk still but that’s 1lb and about 12oz. I figure somewhere around 5-6ounces dry. That’s a lot of oil making material. This is great because I’m planning to try vaping it as well. And I want to make tincture too. So I’ve plenty to experiment with.

Next comes the dry. My little SweetSue inspired DIY TIny Closet is still actually in my room - which has turned out to be a boon because I have an aircon in there and can control the temp a bit. I rigged up some garden fencing across teh top to hang the branches off.

Phew! It’s still hanging - looking good. My bedroom smells amazing! (Well, it’s my everything room. I pretty much live in here and take occasional excursions into the main house for a movie night, or if I’m up to watching sports on the big screen.) I’m really enjoying noticing how the smells temper and change. Yesterday was a bit grassy, but today has settled into some nice Pineapple tones again, which she was displaying in the last weeks of her life in the soil.

At the end of the harvest day, I went back out to the plot to tidy up. I chopped the main stem down to the ground and then got in there and tidies up the professor chaos understory the was Ive even wanting to - I just couldn’t mange getting n there before. This is much better...

I also rearranged her branches a bit to give everything more space. I’m happy about that.
We have this lovely phenomena here that during the afternoon there’s a lot of intermittent shade from the forest canopy - then, very late in the afternoon the sun gets below that canopy again and the rays come burstin through the lower branches of the huge eucalypts and hit the garden again

The light moved quickly at this time, hitting one cola at a time in the space of about 10 minutes

Also cinched up the little bonsai GTxNL that had been leaning forward in the presence of the CBDCC

ANf finally - just to make it so that no-one gets left out... I knew that after a day like that I wouldn’t be getting up for a few days and the Pod hasn’t had a feed for while so I steeled myself to do that before getting out of the garden in gear. I suspect a bit of rot developing on that back cola but I wasn’t up to getting in there to cut it out ...

This is the same cola from the side

It’s now been raining on & off for about 48 hours! Nothing for it but to sit and wait till the rain stops and then go out and deal what it. This plant will mostly be used to make oil for pain cream (and the odd friend who likes indica) so I’m not too fussed. It was always at risk - doesn’t get the sun teh others do and this time of year can do humid and cold for a while so the chances of rot are fairly high. Cest la vie!

Well folks, that’s my first harvest in this version of my career as a cultivator - an era marked by making my own soil and growingin league with you, my fabulous 420 family. I’m pretty stoked. ANd looking forward to the next one. I’m going to be happy to let the professor go to full ripeness (man I hope the weather holds out!), she is looking better every day :ganjamon:

I can’t help it - I have to post that first pic again because I love it so much... call it a bookend ;)
:circle-of-love:

What a great post Amy and an incredible harvest! Except for the smell and the hard work I feel like I was there the whole time. Congratulations. :thumb: The CC looks great and everybody else is probably thrilled the older sister is finally out of the house. :)

Back when we had blogs I did a post on how to clean botrytis from buds for topicals. If you're interested let me know and I can find the original info.

everybody else is probably thrilled the older sister is finally out of the house. :)
:rofl: Perfect!

when we had blogs I did a post on how to clean botrytis from buds for topicals. If you're interested let me know and I can find the original info.
ALso perfect - yes that’d be awesome. I want to let it ripen quite a bit more yet so can I do it while she’s still going?

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom