Applegate's 1st Grow - Tangerine Dream & Jack Herer

Beautiful! I love all the pics and details! I'm following in your footsteps for sure

Thanks Just Grow It! Since you are a film guy I'm honored by your comments. I think sometimes I come off like Prairie Home Grower Companion with some of my journal blather. But I do love opening up the garden for view here at 420!

The kief looks great. The buds look great. That plant was a mess but should be some killer smoke. :thumb::thumb:

Mess with a capital M! To say I was irritated with that plant is an understatement. She got the full chop. No coddling the lower branches like I'm doing with the other girls. I'm intrigued with the kief. Short of a little experience with some hash when I was younger this is a first for me!

Gotta agree with Just Grow It, level of detail and the quality of the pics are fantastic.

+reps worthy post!

Gracias! I have a second generation digital camera that was once cutting edge and is now practically an antique! It must be the lighting. And I never think the photos capture the true glory of the garden. I'm sure you feel the same way about the pictures of your Britney and her sisters!

Very nice finish apple.:high-five:
Out of curiosity, what was the height of your tallest plant and how big is your flowering room? I wouldn't consider any of these girls exactly dainty!
As far as topicals on this end go..... I just received a bottle of DMSO and some other goodies for that department, I'd like to start putting them together this week.
And on a completely different subject, as long as you have so much material to work with now you might give a batch of Green Dragon Elixir a try... I really like this delivery method, it seems to help what ails me.
(Did you have to buy a new freezer for all that trim :)

Gracias! I have a second generation digital camera that was once cutting edge and is now practically an antique! It must be the lighting. And I never think the photos capture the true glory of the garden. I'm sure you feel the same way about the pictures of your Britney and her sisters!

I think the one I'm using is a first gen, one that Jaybiz dumped into water 5 years ago and was shocked it worked when he dug it up in November. My daughter was going to bring me her last one on New Years Eve,it is like 10 gens up from the one I'm using but I still haven't seen it actually show up at my place yet. :)

Ya know it's odd, Jaybiz is always saying he doesn't need to see any of the pics because he sees them in real life, but there's no question we'll both do a "wow" off a really good picture. Same with Video, it's great for many things, but can't replicate the wow factor of a really great picture.

I think seeing them in person, looking at the pictures, and watching video of them each suck and are awesome, in different ways for each.

Very nice finish apple.:high-five:
Out of curiosity, what was the height of your tallest plant and how big is your flowering room? I wouldn't consider any of these girls exactly dainty!
As far as topicals on this end go..... I just received a bottle of DMSO and some other goodies for that department, I'd like to start putting them together this week.
And on a completely different subject, as long as you have so much material to work with now you might give a batch of Green Dragon Elixir a try... I really like this delivery method, it seems to help what ails me.
(Did you have to buy a new freezer for all that trim :)

At the height of her glory the Natural TD (with the top tied down) hit 5'7" but as she gained weight the tops started to lean and she ended up being about 5'4". The ceiling in the basement is 7 feet so while I was pushing it I didn't max out or get into serious trouble.

Green Dragon Elixir? I looked it up. Does it give an effect like an edible and if so does the THC component have a gentle effect? So you give it two thumbs up?

I was pretty discriminating about what I put in the trim buckets so I wasn't overwhelmed but had enough to stick trays of it in the bottom of the drying chambers to boost humidity. As it gets to the dry but slightly pliable stage I'm screening it.

Once I get past this first harvest I'll start a new journal on the painkillers. But they are going along so slowly compared with where my big girls were at the one month mark. Seriously, they look like one week plants. But I'll hold hope and check back on your painkiller journal for inspiration!

:thanks:

I'll be very interested in your Painkiller grow. I can only compare mine against pictures of other plants of a similar age and compare I did. Regularly. Whilst short because of being under LED, the first compared very favourably with other plants of a similar age in terms of volume - very bushy. The second to germinate took a while to recover from being waterlogged (rookie mistake).

Now they are under SCRoG and just starting the second week of flower it is very hard to compare growth, but I'm happy. Not sure I can comment further as Painkiller is my first and only grow (ok, there's a Blueberry in there too), but that's an afterthought.

Your first grow is amazing. Please do share once you get the Painkiller on the go.

At the height of her glory the Natural TD (with the top tied down) hit 5'7" but as she gained weight the tops started to lean and she ended up being about 5'4". The ceiling in the basement is 7 feet so while I was pushing it I didn't max out or get into serious trouble.

Green Dragon Elixir? I looked it up. Does it give an effect like an edible and if so does the THC component have a gentle effect? So you give it two thumbs up?

I was pretty discriminating about what I put in the trim buckets so I wasn't overwhelmed but had enough to stick trays of it in the bottom of the drying chambers to boost humidity. As it gets to the dry but slightly pliable stage I'm screening it.

Once I get past this first harvest I'll start a new journal on the painkillers. But they are going along so slowly compared with where my big girls were at the one month mark. Seriously, they look like one week plants. But I'll hold hope and check back on your painkiller journal for inspiration!

:thanks:

I do like the tinctures, they are my second favorite way to consume MMJ with the first place the way we've done it for decades:thumb:
It is similar to an edible, comes on in 15 minutes or so and last 6-8 hours I'd say. The only way I have made them so far is with EverClear alcohol and they burn like crazy. I have found that putting a teaspoonful (max if you want to still function) in a small juice glass with Cran Berry juice is the way to take care of the taste issue. I have two more batches going with almost 100% bud (just a little sugar trim.) One is EverClear (151) and one is with Bombay Sapphire Gin (94 proof.) I seriously doubt that I'll be able to handle more that 1/4-1/2 tsp of those but we shall see. They have been soaking since Jan 9th, almost a month exactly. They are probably done but I don't need them yet so not going to hurry them.

The PainKiller I believe is 70% Sativa so the leaves are much smaller. I did veg it for a long time but I can't remember how long just now. Just look at it like it's giving you time to get the other ones cured and taken care of... a lil break in the action to relax.

I'll be very interested in your Painkiller grow. I can only compare mine against pictures of other plants of a similar age and compare I did.

Hey Max! I see visit BeaverIslander's journal so you know he's developing an expertise on high CBD strains. He has a completed journal on Painkiller-XL - if you haven't already, you should check it out. Your current grow of Painkillers is light years ahead of mine. (I nearly fried the seedlings with a new light and set them back big time). Your PKs are already starting to flower! Mine just thumb their noses at me when I open the closet door!

The only way I have made them so far is with EverClear alcohol and they burn like crazy. I have found that putting a teaspoonful (max if you want to still function) in a small juice glass with Cran Berry juice is the way to take care of the taste issue. I have two more batches going with 100% bud and sugar trim. One is EverClear (151) and one is with Bombay Sapphire Gin (94 proof.) I seriously doubt that I'll be able to handle more that 1/4-1/2 tsp of those but we shall see. They have been soaking since Jan 9th, almost a month exactly. They are probably done but I don't need them yet so not going to hurry them.

WHA..wha..WHAT? I know that cannabis is fat soluble. Is it soluble in alcohol too? I MUST investigate this new revelation you have laid at my feet. I looked at the Green Dragon Elixir which is a pre-packaged product - when you threw the word tincture into the mix only then did I get what you were trying to tell me.

Seriously, Beav. When you speak to me you must talk slowly and enunciate. And maybe draw pictures. :laughtwo:

WHA..wha..WHAT? I know that cannabis is fat soluble. Is it soluble in alcohol too? I MUST investigate this new revelation you have laid at my feet. I looked at the Green Dragon Elixir which is a pre-packaged product - when you threw the word tincture into the mix only then did I get what you were trying to tell me.

Seriously, Beav. When you speak to me you must talk slowly and enunciate. And maybe draw pictures. :laughtwo:

Ha ha.... I am certainly no pro, but I am having fun non-the less.
You use the alcohol to pull the trichomes and terpines off the mixture. The higher the alchohol content the purer your end product (less plant taste smell, less chlorophyll.) You can make it out of trim (I did for my present batch.) If you wanted to you could evaporate off some of the alcohol, but hey, I don't have anything against alcohol!
:high-five:
I'm betting you have enough to experiment with a couple ounces :)

P. S. check your messages.

Big Jack (Herer) Harvest report - 126 days from seed, 83 days in flower. This Jack was fimmed 27 days from seed and developed 4 large colas.

I pulled the trigger couple of days early because I had a window of free time to do the deed. Big Jack was unbelievably sticky - I think I ended up saving the most challenging plant to trim for last. The colas' buds were super dense with swollen calyxes. The secondary branches had substantial sized buds and everything in the trim bucket is absolutley saturated with trichomes. This has all the outward appearances of being the champagne of weed.

Before and after the initial haircut.

february_12_2016_005.JPG
february_12_2016_007.JPG
february_12_2016_011.JPG

Yup - Big Jack was my highest wet weight producer.

FEB_13_JACK_003.JPG
FEB_13_JACK_005.JPG

A couple of buds on the pile.

FEB_13_JACK_008.JPG
FEB_13_JACK_006.JPG
FEB_13_JACK_007.JPG
FEB_13_JACK_011.JPG
FEB_13_JACK_007A.png

UPATE ON WET vs. DRY WEIGHT

FIMMED TANGERINE DREAM
Wet weight: 1 pound, 2 oz.
Dry weight: 4 oz.

NATURAL TANGERINE DREAM
Wet weight: 1 pound, 6 3/4 oz
Dry weight: 5 3/8 oz

NATURAL JACK HERER
Wet weight: 1 pound, 1 oz
Dry weight: 3 oz

FIMMED JACK HERER
Wet weight: 1 pound, 6 9/10 oz
Dry weight: TBA

Get the book by Ed Rosenthal called beyond buds I think. All kinds of awesome recipes. My wife makes the tinctures outta the trim and uses everclear. Its from that book. So. As I find it i can post it i suppose

Hey Max! I see visit BeaverIslander's journal so you know he's developing an expertise on high CBD strains. He has a completed journal on Painkiller-XL - if you haven't already, you should check it out. Your current grow of Painkillers is light years ahead of mine. (I nearly fried the seedlings with a new light and set them back big time). Your PKs are already starting to flower! Mine just thumb their noses at me when I open the closet door!

Thanks Applegate, I've had a few disasters but the good folk on 420 Magazine talked me off the ledge a few times. The very slow growing Painkiller XL has certainly caught up and has now got the biggest, thickest branches. All that time it was sitting there and not growing above ground I think it was building a huge root structure. If it wasn't in the scrog it'd be 3' tall now. That one wasn't topped or fimmed so it's not as bushy.

Once you get the PK-XL journal up I'll be there. There will undoubtedly be some experts sign up and give great advice. Not me though, I'm a newbie :) However, if there are lessons from my grow that apply, I'll happily chime up.

FINAL REPORT

Big Jack's dry weight ended up just a hair over 3 1/2 oz.

Oddly, both Jack Herer's lost more wet weight than the Tangerine Dreams. The JH buds turned out lighter and looser and I had to spread them out among 7 quart jars for long term cure while I could easily put over an ounce of the Tangerine buds in a single jar and have plenty of room to spare. The Tangerine bud is gorgeous - dense and colorful. The JH dried to what I'd call a sea foam green.

My personal taste tester reports the Tangerine does indeed have a citrus flavor and delivers a strong, zippy, motivating punch that is long lasting. Great for tackling projects that might otherwise be physically or mentally taxing.

The Jack Herer tastes of spice with a hint of menthol and is really well balanced and provides more body effect than the TD. While not as long lasting as the TD, two hits of the Jack can be felt for up to 4 hours. Of the two, the JH is best suited for use throughout the day.

Neither JH or TD seem to increase appetite.

Thanks so much to everybody that stopped by to say hi or give advice. I've learned a lot and through this experience I've decided that I am going to actively involve myself in the move towards legalization. We are so overdue in making this awesome plant and medicine available to everybody. Do your part. Collect signatures on the petition in your state. Let's get this done!

Moderator - you may close this journal!

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom