Applegate's 1st Grow - Tangerine Dream & Jack Herer

Quick post harvest report.

Jack Herer - 116 days from seed, 73 days in flower (Sorry to be repetitive for my frequent visitors - this is for the pop-in guests that might not have the stamina to page back to check the basics).

This was a challanging plant to trim. The buds have an unreal number of small one finger leaves peppered everywhere. It was impossible to snip the base of the petiole without damn near tearing the bud apart. Perhaps this is a reason some people aren't crazy about foxtailing. Deep cleaning these buds would have required some serious man-handling so we used a lighter hand. I want nice looking bud but I don't need to groom them for bag appeal so I took the middle road.

The wet yield was 1 pound, 1 oz. The branches are more substantial than those of the previously harvested Tangerine Dream so I'm guessing the Jack is going to deliver proportionally less yield than the TD. That kind of surprised me.

Here is a before and after on the same bud. Gives an idea of the "looser" trim we used.

february_3_2016_001.JPG
february_3_2016_005.JPG

The glamour shot.

february_3_2016_006.JPG

Not exactly the heavyweight champion.....

february_3_2016_008.JPG
february_3_2016_010.JPG

I very much recommend fermentation in glass jars after the normal drying of 1-2 weeks (for which you want to use the same tube fan + carbon filter setup as for flowering, very important if there are neighbors nearby and/or you don't want your clothes to reek of weed). It takes a certain unpleasant edge off the weed's effect. Takes out the fire but leaves in the warmth, eh...
Most weed, when fresh, cause a lot of difficulties with sleeping for me. The first ~2 weeks after drying are most important, but I have had clear improvements up to 6+ weeks after.
And again, it depends on the sort. Fresh AH#3 was terrible (but nice and mild after 6 or 7 weeks), while Original Cheese was ok even immediately after harvest using the vape, except for the slight insomnia. It is still drying, but I expect that effect to go away at some point.
Yes, I have checked if it is tolerance. It isn't. I harvested in several steps from several plants, so I could directly compare.

Everything looks great mam and them weights are some serious numbers amazing job man. I dip my hat to you sir. :goodjob:

Hey Spart, I think you may want to change man to "mam." :thumb:

Gentlemen....gentlemen....it makes no difference whether the apple is a McIntosh or a Pink Lady; (s)he just enjoys your camaraderie and encouragement!

Plus, I don't want Spart thinking he needs to take his helmet off everytime I come into the room. :kisstwo:

I very much recommend fermentation in glass jars after the normal drying of 1-2 weeks (for which you want to use the same tube fan + carbon filter setup as for flowering, very important if there are neighbors nearby and/or you don't want your clothes to reek of weed). It takes a certain unpleasant edge off the weed's effect. Takes out the fire but leaves in the warmth, eh...
Most weed, when fresh, cause a lot of difficulties with sleeping for me. The first ~2 weeks after drying are most important, but I have had clear improvements up to 6+ weeks after.
And again, it depends on the sort. Fresh AH#3 was terrible (but nice and mild after 6 or 7 weeks), while Original Cheese was ok even immediately after harvest using the vape, except for the slight insomnia. It is still drying, but I expect that effect to go away at some point.
Yes, I have checked if it is tolerance. It isn't. I harvested in several steps from several plants, so I could directly compare.

Basically applegate its all matter of preference. There's a number of ways to cure then dry your buds. I believe you just have to find what technique best suits your style, and then run with it. I was lucky I had the extra room to basically turn into a giant mason jar lol

Basically applegate its all matter of preference. There's a number of ways to cure then dry your buds. I believe you just have to find what technique best suits your style, and then run with it. I was lucky I had the extra room to basically turn into a giant mason jar lol

Thanks, Fopho! I'm harvesting my four plants independently so I'm in a position to try different techniques with the cure. If I can figure out a way to bump up RH I definitely want to try the "cure first" process. It seems less labor intensive than the jar burping method so I do want to give it a try.

Ill post you some picks here in a bit. I made an item to raise RH. By using one of the 18gal. Rubbermade containers, a portable clothes drying rack, a towel and a fan. Ill have to wait till lights on since the components are in my shed

Ok applegate I posted how and what I used to raise my RH in my curing/drying room with photos in my journal. Didn't want to bombard yours lol

A good dry/cure method is a must. Im still working on what works for me. Good job experimenting apple. I agree with getting the rh up to slow dry. The buds dry very fast in my house with a rh around 30%, and i know it has hurt the smell and taste. Ill have to go check out what fopho has going on in his journal i reckon.

Plus reps for your first grow applegate, it turned out just super.
Realizing that there are things that you would change if you could do over, just think what the second will be like. You're gonna be right up there with the big kids.
:goodjob:

Plus reps for your first grow applegate, it turned out just super.
Realizing that there are things that you would change if you could do over, just think what the second will be like. You're gonna be right up there with the big kids.
:goodjob:

Ah, shucks, thank you! I suspect I had some beginner's luck riding with me and it'll be the second grow that will test my mettle as an indoor gardener. We took the fimmed Tangerine down - I need to post that information yet and Big Jack is still awaiting her fate. Updates coming!

Here are the results from the Fimmed Tangerine Dream.

117 days from seed, 74 days in flower.

If I had a least favorite plant, it would be this one. She was a sprawling mess that had no respect for the other plants' personal space. Towards the end, she was wearing her weight in zip ties just to keep upright. I'm sure I contributed to the situation by waiting too long to top/fim her (Nov. 26th - 27 days from seed).

The Natural Tangerine had tight, dense buds in contrast to the more numerous lighter, looser, smaller buds on the Fimmed TD. The Fimmed TD has a sharper Tangerine smell than the other TD. I'm wondering if the Fimmed TD was a pheno a little more on the sativa side. I had predicted that this plant would be the lowest producer but it seems my internal Magic 8 Ball is defective. She beat Little Jack in the wet weight category. I'll be doggoned!

Fimmed Tangerine before and after the initial defoliation

february_3_2016_012.JPG
february_3_2016_014.JPG

The fruit of the harvest. In the background you can see that the trussed up bottom branches of Natural Tangerine and Little Jack are still chugging along.

february_4_2016_002.JPG
february_4_2016_005.JPG
february_4_2016_008.JPG

HARVEST AND CURE UPDATE

I'm on a learning curve - shout out to those that have dipped in with suggestions and advice. Currently, Little Jack and the Fimmed TD are hanging in my home-fashioned drying chambers. Because Fimmed Tangerine had thinner, more delicate stems I think she's drying sooner than the others and I will probably jar her up tomorrow. Little Jack has robust buds on thick stems and the buds feel leathery but not crumbly dry so she's staying put in the chamber for the time being.

I'm trying a bastardized version of a method suggested by FoPho on the Natural TD buds. After a couple of days in the drying chambers I transferred the buds, still on their stems, to a sealed storage container. In all the chambers, including the storage container, I'm keeping trays of trim and bowls of polyacrylamide (the crystals used in humidors and outdoor planters) to keep the humidity levels up. The sealed container is holding at 50% (a little low for Fopho's cure first method) and the boxes are running at 40-45%. Temps have been 69 degrees across the board.

When you are a tomato gardener you always have this kind of stuff in laying around!

february_7_2016_005.JPG

The Fimmed TD still smells grassy. The Natural TD (in the storage container) seems to be past the mown hay stage and is starting to smell good. The Jack - OMG. She never lost her scent and she smells WONDERFUL!

february_7_2016_007.JPG
february_7_2016_006.JPG
february_7_2016_008.JPG

So far I have 4 trays of trim that's been hanging out with the bud in the chambers. I did the first screening on one tray and got what I think is a decent amount of kief. I've got my pal BeaverIslander keeping an eye out for recipes for topical salves - that's where this beautiful golden dust is headed.

february_7_2016_003.JPG
february_7_2016_004.JPG

Coming up for a future installment - Big Jack's final week and her harvest - tentatively scheduled for February 15th (85 days of flower). Here she shares Fimmed Tangerine's last day before the chop.

february_3_2016_015.JPG

Back
Top Bottom