BB's Crosspond Growing Pains - The Recovery

spider mites come from bottom of shoes after staying outside then coming in with shoes should stay outside is what i was reading because i have had bugs on all plants onetime need mrclean and runslathe thankyou my journal starting soon after more reading to learn better english and growing clean

:bravo::yahoo::clap::yahoo::bravo:

High BB :byebye:

Nice to see you back

Glad you managed to control the mites :bravo::cheer::goodjob:

Eagles may soar but....

weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Hey Everyone,

My apologies for the delays. These have been some very trying times recently.

Just as you think you got things under control,nature throws you a curve ball.

Well I got my introduction to the dreaded mites. Thing was I didn't know what I

was dealing with to start, then by the time I did it had got rapidly out of control.

Suffice to say I'm now truly initiated with those horrible little critters.

It got to the stage where total destruction of the whole garden was very much on the agenda.

We ploughed on praying for salvage.

A few pics and general update to follow in the next half hour or so.

OK so what are we dealing with here ?

Well I'm pretty sure we brought these in to the grow spaces by stupidly bringing cuttings in from out door plants.

After a week or so we noticed yellow dots affecting the surface of the leaves.

Then they got really virulent, :oops: we messed up here. A few hours of :nomo::reading420magazine:

Darn we got spider mites.

Don't know what type, but they are extremely small about 0.01" / 0.25mm.

Here is a typical leaf I plucked off today, so yes we're still fighting.

The tiny black dots 3 or 4 on this leaf underside are just visable

BBBud380.JPG

BBBud381.JPG

The damage shows extensively on the upper side, although some of the yellowing is the

plant trying to consume the nutrients from the leaf before it shrivels and dies.

BBBud383.JPG

Comments please.

Anyways onwards.

I had a plan to do a 16 small plant grow in a 40" square space. Just to show you can

get a half decent yield from small pots in quite small space. Sadly we lost some of the plants

to the mites, decided to crack on with the remaining 12 even if it all end up in the bin at the end.

There are 12 0.7 liter pots in there honest.

BBBud369.JPG

BBBud368.JPG

The mite fight goes on, but the plants seem to want to do their thing.

2 weeks into flower.

BBBud370.JPG

BBBud371.JPG

BBBud373.JPG

BBBud374.JPG

BBBud375.JPG

BBBud376.JPG

BBBud377.JPG

BBBud378.JPG

The only downside here is the rather heavy duty (natural) pesticides we are having

to use. 3 to 5 day reproduction cycle, it's a tough battle. Plus they become resistant !

Watch this space.

Hey mate,

Outside one looks amazing!

Bloody spider mites.

What average temps and humidity are you running mate?

Generally round our roses we only get issues, on the shadier side when we've had a long hot spell...usually after a wet spell when the black spot has drained the resistance of the plant!....anyway...

I dunno what the practicalities of some of this is, because it looks like a big infestation (...sorry) and a large number of plants.

Ok, my individual thing per plant

1. Cut out the worst of what you can afford to cut out....if you get a benefit from opening up for light to get lower...then this maybe more beneficial than just a loss. :)

2. Hose or blast or spray with a water bottle the whole plant, your basically attempting to wash off the whole plant, underside of leaves and all...you want to wash as many of the blighters, their dander, and nests and sh*t off as you can.

3. With you're already prepared organic spray of pure soap, milk, and crushes pyrethrum(*You have them in your garden don't you? Ok Pyrethrum is a poison you already know that I'm sure....we have to be carefull about when we apply...timing to harvest for residual poisons etc...) and spray the living daylights outta it. :) ...well not really, you don't want all that soap in your soil, wrap a news paper around the stem if you want to capture any free soap....not that there's that much, but mist every surface with the spray, a little shake every now and again. Leave it to dry.

4. In your grow room - spider mites, well one vector for transport is air, they fly in the air or get carried by currents..you need to clean out any filters and maybe spray your ducting etc...life cycle from egg can be as little as 5 days, but....you don't want to re-infest your little one's when you put em back in!

Insecticide the room I guess....clean up/vacuum maybe with a HEPA type vacuum cleaner.

Now observe. If your running pretty hot and dry, then it might be considering upping the humidity a bit and that'll help stop any new ones trying to establish....not that there are any left now eh? :)

Slightest twinkle that anyone is alive in there spot spray and observe...any more than a couple of spots...take em all out and do it again!

5. Don't do it again :)

You could also spray insecticide...organic of course into the air duct and blow it through the room too I guess.
EDIT: after you've got the bulk of the actual physical infestation out... :)

Thanks for the kind heads up TD.

I've done a few of the things you suggested already. A bit worried about continuous use of pyrethrum based

pesticide. As I say I might junk the project when done. I'm on a daily defol at the mo. With about 4 days between

spray downs.

Fingers crossed it's now where near as bad as a few weeks ago.

Temps and humidity are around 80°F 50%RH during lights on.

Thanks for sharing.

Sorry it didn't happen when requested mate, honest :)

I'm glad you've got a plan and are actively persuing it.

...4 day's between spray downs...you've done a few then?

EDIT: What about humidity levels mate..

Dag Brit, all I can say is sorry about the mites...

Dag Brit, all I can say is sorry about the mites...

My own stupid fault Reg.

But the 16 ish (well 12, to be precise) grow is on for you.

Keep watching !

Oh and remember this,

BBBud72.JPG

That was 10 small pots in about half the space, under 5 x 3' T8's.

Pulled in over 6 ounces. :)

BB, man i don't know what happened. I was about to pm you to see what's up as I hadn't heard from ya in awhile. I was subb'd awhile back. I must've jacked something up, lost 4 journals i used to be subb'd to. I think yourswas one of them.

Crap, now i gotta read like 50 pages.

Ok, caught up. Crud man I hate spider mites. I got them on some clones from outside once. Put them in the flower tent. Next day had webbing everywhere. Saved most of them, but it was awful.

:popcorn: Sorry about the mites my friend....:circle-of-love:

Ok, caught up. Crud man I hate spider mites. I got them on some clones from outside once. Put them in the flower tent. Next day had webbing everywhere. Saved most of them, but it was awful.

Thanks for looking in guys.

Hey Everyone,

Sorry for the delays.

I think we got the spider mites out of the grow spaces.

Damn that was a tough fight.

Today I'll take a few shots of our 12 small plant grow.

Update on the outdoor and gorilla grows.

Be back soon.

Back
Top Bottom