BCBudd 1st Ever Grow - Hydro

I'm not sure whats right or wrong but I water the hell out of my plants every 3-4hrs and for 45min at a time, I even water once in the middle of night. I want to make sure the hydratron in my net pots is completely soaked until the next water time. My understanding hydro you almost can't water too much
I would think cubes only they got to be sucking them dry in no time.

this picture to me shows under watering the plants were telling you in the beginning

In hydro it is near impossible to water too much... the roots grow differently and they ONLY get nutrients form the water you give them... Think about this for a second, if it were easy to over water in hydro, how the hell would DEEP WATER CULTURE work?

The major difference between soil and hydro is the absence of any organic solids to decompose and rot your roots if it stays too wet.

In hydro it is near impossible to water too much... the roots grow differently and they ONLY get nutrients form the water you give them... Think about this for a second, if it were easy to over water in hydro, how the hell would DEEP WATER CULTURE work?

The major difference between soil and hydro is the absence of any organic solids to decompose and rot your roots if it stays too wet.

Thanx for confirming. I am the newb that killed his kid from watering too much. my only mistake and it's the one that about impossible to do.

Hey any way BC for as big as those plants were they should have roots growing down the tray at that size. I remember before I started using the net pots in the gal jugs the roots were following my water path to the drain. My plants at less than a ft have already grown through the net pots and hanging in the water. I think you need to check that drip system out. That's one of the reasons I got rid of those dam stakes and made my own drip rings out of 1/8 hose and a T I used a small drill bit I have 2 different size rings so when roots/plants are small they get the small drippers and when they drow a little I switch to the 8" drip rings. Ya them drippers are junk forgot about those fukin things I got some want them 4 free

I don't have drippers its 1/4" straight into the rockwool. Rockwool holds water like crazy so you can def overwater. Kinda like soil it takes forever to dry out completely. The last batch I squeezed out just under 10 gals before I threw out the rockwool and it was still heavy as hell. Just changed to 12/12 on the new batch and will get some new pics up soon. They get watered for 5 mins twice a day and use between 3-4 gals/day.:peace:

I don't have drippers its 1/4" straight into the rockwool. Rockwool holds water like crazy so you can def overwater. Kinda like soil it takes forever to dry out completely. The last batch I squeezed out just under 10 gals before I threw out the rockwool and it was still heavy as hell. Just changed to 12/12 on the new batch and will get some new pics up soon. They get watered for 5 mins twice a day and use between 3-4 gals/day.:peace:

I use rockwool and a basin that is designed to hold 1/16" water in the bottom... with drip lines feeding them. 3 times a day for 15 minutes each. I have never had an over-watering problem. Nor is there any organic material latent in the structure to spoil and rot. To the contrary, rockwool is inert and imparts nothing but a mechanical component to your grow. It is designed SOLELY to hold water and support roots. Check your flow to the back ones, I think you may find a clog. The only other thing I can think of is that the Plastic/Paper on the outside of the squares (not the mat) was not removed, and is growing fungus.

Question: Does your mat have slits about 2" long on the bottom for drainage of excess?

Ya that's what I did with mine as soon as I figured out 1 of my stakes wasn't working, a straight line dumping on the rockwool. I'm using rockwool also for rooting just a 1.5" cube. The cubes are finicky when rooting too much water and the clone dies. I bet as the plants get older the rockwool isn't any easier. I don't think Rockwool makes a good media by itself. Maybe I missed something not sure whats under the canopy covering the cubes

anyways just trying to help ya out if your going to stay hydro. I would consider watering more often thow. At least when the lights turn on and every 4hrs after and the last 1 a hr before lights go out :peace:

Heres a couple shots of part 3 just before lights on.

plants_00226.JPG

plants_00123.JPG

High Ho High Ho its off to work I go.

Hey BC-

For what its worth, I have found RW to be problematic in that it retains too much water and often stunts growth of roots. Also, inconsistent in water retention from cube to cube. I have been more successful with straight hydroton from aerocloner or rapid rooter to hydroton if seeds. I use E&F table for veg with top drip for newer plants that I don't want to fully saturate. I uppot from 5 - 7 -10. I don't know that it matters but roots are very full and popping out of baskets. Then plop em in the RDWC and boom. 2 drops bleach per gallon is the key bro'. Cheapest and most effective water sanatization available. 100% full-proof. And I am not the sharpest tool in the shed. Peace!

Quick update for anybody following along. Aerocloner doing its thing.

plants_00124.JPG

Screwed up at the start and ph was high but as you can from the new growth recovery is coming along nicely.

plants_00227.JPG

Group shot of the last rw run thats happening now. Just over 2 weeks since lights went 12/12.

plants_00323.JPG

This is supposed to be bubba kush. Whatever it is if they keep going like this the others will not make it to the hempy run. Covered in bud sites and showin frost already.

plants_00424.JPG

Sorry still no new camera but hopefully soon. (ya I know i keep sayin that) :peace:

Short update thats long overdue. The moms are coming along nicely but I may have been off by a bit on how quickly I will be taking clones. Transplanted a couple tonight into 4L ice cream buckets and got 7 or 8 lst'ed. We are gettin there methinks. New journal of perpetual hempy coming soon to everybodys favorite website. :peace:

Huzzah!

Nother short update on the mothers. Gonna take about a dozen cuttings in next couple days and fire up the machine again to get ready.There are about half a dozen runts that will go straight to the flower room since they aren't close to keeping up they will be culled so to speak from mommy selection.

plants_00426.JPG

plants_00325.JPG

plants_00229.JPG

plants_00126.JPG

Don't really know if its a good idea or not but the transplanted deffinate moms are going into perlite/vermiculite as well. Been a few days since transplant and no ill effects so far. Think I should start the new journal instead of putting this in here maybe.:peace:

I missed this grow too! Like the hempy setup! Now I am subbed too!:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom