Brian420pm's First Grow Sept 2019: Indoor, Northern Lights

Brian420pm

I have 30 packages coming in the next few days, starting completely from scratch here. I've been away from cannabis since my mid 20's, I'm late 50's now. I'm ready to spread the love and do my part to heal this planet!

I've been an Army soldier, Printer, Data Analyst, Programmer, owner of multiple businesses, and an INTP personality type (google it if you want to see how weird I am!) lol With that combination you should expect that everything I do is a work in progress. I'm trained in Lean and Six Sigma systems control, so I'm constantly looking for better ways of doing things and solutions and simplification at every step... I'm sure this will be no different!

Sometimes it takes me forever to come to an internal consensus of all available points of view before I pull the trigger. I've been researching this plant and growing process every day since February of this year, or around 700+ hrs devoted so far.

I'm self employed, work from home, partially retired and by choice have no social life except online interaction, so I'm perfectly content with living, eating and breathing this for the next 3 months!

Everything was ordered this week, seeds and all supplies, so I'll keep notes here on progress as it all comes in.

My current plan is to grow, then process Flower, FECO, Rosin and Ice Water Hash.

I invite you to watch over my shoulder and offer encouragement, polite constructive criticism or just lurk and see what this old man has up his sleeve. I may try some unconventional methods here and there, so please be easy on me :)

I may try some unconventional methods here
Sounds interesting- I'll stop by from time to time- I'm an old dog,but I'm willing to learn some new tricks!

I ordered 10 Northern Lights feminized seeds from a Holland based company for $60. They don't accept CC so I had to blunder my way through buying bitcoin for the first time UGH! The fees were not predominantly displayed, no surprise there, so I had to buy it twice with a min of $50, fee of $12 each time.

I'll be germinating them in this setup. Domed grow trays under a 30w, 2 ft, LED. The seeds will go in the middle tray using small peat pellets. Considering peat has some nutritional value, I'll wait to add nutes.

0823192110.jpg

I'm doing some preliminary tests now to determine the optimal settings for the little adjustable vents at the top of the domes and the proper distance to keep the grow light.

Then some days after planting I'll cull a few and put the remaining 6-8 seedlings in the 3" pots that are in the two outer trays.

The 3" pots are based on the "air pruning" design, which expose the root tips to air, ending their advance to the bottom of the pot. This will direct energy back to increasing root ball density.

0823192110c.jpg

It's all about nutrient absorption... the plant in a natural environment had a certain feeding schedule, how much it would eat per meal and how often. Then we came along, put her in a place FILLED with all she wants.. invite her to gorge herself, basically.

Once we've provided her this nirvana, this paradise, we nurture and support her to the next phase. Then SHE is giving back to us what we need the most... a shift of perspective to the global scale.

For the adventurous, look up "The First Four Inches" <not liable for potential naughty exposure, it's info about the little grow pots!, pay attention! hehe >

But I DIGRESS! Sorry I popped a FICO cap a couple hours ago, forgive me! :)

:passitleft:
Good luck on your adventure here.

Hey i bought bitcoin too $10 then $100 when it was 3000 a coin the very next day it started climbing went up to 12000 I ended up buying double beans then what I planed, left me $13 in satoshi. Now that 13 is @ $75 bucks.

Ill follow along if you dont mind?

Seedlings: Rotating the tray dome to decrease humidity is the most common best practice, and my data support exactly that.

This is one tray with water with the dome on as designed...

0824191954a.jpg

The picture says 93, but it soon climbed to the device max of 99, and condensation was forming on the dome, even rotating the small, top vent made no difference.

Turning the entire dome and exposing some of the tray worked great... 80s humidity should work!

0824192120.jpg

I'll soon have the exact seeding space picked out, then I'll test for the best position for the seedling LED light for both temp AND light levels... a lux meter is expected in a day or two!

Gadgets galore woo!

Oh! I almost forgot to check my home water PH and TDS levels, those meters came today. I never measured it before at this location of 15 years.

I have 30 packages coming in the next few days, starting completely from scratch here. I've been away from cannabis since my mid 20's, I'm late 50's now. I'm ready to spread the love and do my part to heal this planet!

I've been an Army soldier, Printer, Data Analyst, Programmer, owner of multiple businesses, and an INTP personality type (google it if you want to see how weird I am!) lol With that combination you should expect that everything I do is a work in progress. I'm trained in Lean and Six Sigma systems control, so I'm constantly looking for better ways of doing things and solutions and simplification at every step... I'm sure this will be no different!

Sometimes it takes me forever to come to an internal consensus of all available points of view before I pull the trigger. I've been researching this plant and growing process every day since February of this year, or around 700+ hrs devoted so far.

I'm self employed, work from home, partially retired and by choice have no social life except online interaction, so I'm perfectly content with living, eating and breathing this for the next 3 months!

Everything was ordered this week, seeds and all supplies, so I'll keep notes here on progress as it all comes in.

My current plan is to grow, then process Flower, FECO, Rosin and Ice Water Hash.

I invite you to watch over my shoulder and offer encouragement, polite constructive criticism or just lurk and see what this old man has up his sleeve. I may try some unconventional methods here and there, so please be easy on me :)

Sounds well thought out and researched ... I'm definitely interested!

I understand Grow and Flower ... but what is FECO? and Rosin and Ice Water Hash?

There must be a harvest to hash in there :)

I ordered 10 Northern Lights feminized seeds from a Holland based company for $60. They don't accept CC so I had to blunder my way through buying bitcoin for the first time UGH! The fees were not predominantly displayed, no surprise there, so I had to buy it twice with a min of $50, fee of $12 each time.

I'll be germinating them in this setup. Domed grow trays under a 30w, 2 ft, LED. The seeds will go in the middle tray using small peat pellets. Considering peat has some nutritional value, I'll wait to add nutes.

0823192110.jpg

I'm doing some preliminary tests now to determine the optimal settings for the little adjustable vents at the top of the domes and the proper distance to keep the grow light.

Then some days after planting I'll cull a few and put the remaining 6-8 seedlings in the 3" pots that are in the two outer trays.

The 3" pots are based on the "air pruning" design, which expose the root tips to air, ending their advance to the bottom of the pot. This will direct energy back to increasing root ball density.

0823192110c.jpg

It's all about nutrient absorption... the plant in a natural environment had a certain feeding schedule, how much it would eat per meal and how often. Then we came along, put her in a place FILLED with all she wants.. invite her to gorge herself, basically.

Once we've provided her this nirvana, this paradise, we nurture and support her to the next phase. Then SHE is giving back to us what we need the most... a shift of perspective to the global scale.

For the adventurous, look up "The First Four Inches" <not liable for potential naughty exposure, it's info about the little grow pots!, pay attention! hehe >

But I DIGRESS! Sorry I popped a FICO cap a couple hours ago, forgive me! :)

I saw those pots in a YouTube video when I was researching ... great theory. I remember they discovered it from growing tree seedlings.

Seeds ... no need to jump through hoops anymore ... we have local seed banks that are sponsors here ... like True North ... Seedsman and Dr. Seeds.

I will be buying my next 15 seeds from Dr. Seeds ... and Cement Shoes is on my list for sure.

My plan is to grow out the rest of my autoflowers and then grow only photoperiods and start doing things like cloning, SOGs, pheno hunts and cross breeding my own custom strain.

Sounds well thought out and researched ... I'm definitely interested!
I understand Grow and Flower ... but what is FECO? and Rosin and Ice Water Hash?

Thank you SQ! I learn through MEGA study, then use experience to fine tune.

I play the odds basically... immerse myself in the knowledge zone of whatever I want to learn, absorb all I see and patiently await decisions as their surety erupts, like collecting bubbles in a barely measurable breeze :)

Those are all different methods of extraction... FECO (Full Extract Cannabis Oil), Rosin and Hash, I'll be <cough> dabbing in them all! lol

I saw those pots in a YouTube video when I was researching ... great theory.

When I came across the idea of air pruning roots it really stuck to me like.gorilla.glue SORRY I can't help it! lol Since February I've maintained a 'best practices' reference document and that tid-bit populated it instantly upon discovery! :)

Imagine adjusting the soil depth every few days using a pot with a mesh bottom. The main shoots come out the bottom exposed to air, they stunt, then in phase 2 the soil fills in behind them with support troops, er, roots.

Phase 3 you increase the soil depth, rinse and repeat until you reach the final grow size before the switch to flower. OMG can you imagine... you would surely get maximum root density with whatever medium and nute system you have in place.

OK see this is the trouble, each time I chat about it I get ANOTHER test that begs for attention! lol :)

Thank you SQ! I learn through MEGA study, then use experience to fine tune.

I play the odds basically... immerse myself in the knowledge zone of whatever I want to learn, absorb all I see and patiently await decisions as their surety erupts, like collecting bubbles in a barely measurable breeze :)

Those are all different methods of extraction... FECO (Full Extract Cannabis Oil), Rosin and Hash, I'll be <cough> dabbing in them all! lol

Perfect!

So far I am just growing to get buds and learning along the way.

My girlfriend is interested in cannabis recipes ... but I am seriously interested in making Oil and Hash for sure!

start doing things like cloning, SOGs, pheno hunts and cross breeding my own custom strain.

Sounds great! I'll have a 4 x 8 tent, so big enough to play around with those topics, on a smale scale, if my interest leads me there.

Once I devote time to measuring and fiddling with all these variables, it will be hard for me to drop a line and just start over again with just clones or more commercial seeds. The decision tree on this matter seems pretty clear... to reap the rewards of selective breeding you need more expense to explore and maintain the experiments... we'll see where I end up!

I had to build a extra cabinet to house all my jars of experiments.
Some are a big hit like the topical oil made with grapeseed oil and a instant pot pressure cooker, others not so much

I have plans to get the instapot! I'll do the same and make infusions. I also want to see how it does evaporating down everclear washes. Wasteful I know, if I take to it I'll get a tabletop distiller to reclaim the alcohol.

Where to stack all this STUFF, with more coming lol NOT in the kitchen! :)

0825191514.jpg

- 2 Clip-on Fans
- 5 Coco Bricks
- 4” Duct Fan with Temperature Humidity Controller
- 4" Carbon Filter
- Five 3-gallon Fabric Pots with drip trays
- 50ft 1/4" Irrigation Hose
- Drip Irrigation Line Hole Punch Tool
- 1/2" Drip Irrigation Fittings Kit
- 2 Digital Timer Outlets
- 1 Gallon CalMag Nutrient
- PH Meter
- TDS Meter
- Gram Scale
- 4 Rope Clip Hangers
- 50 Jiffy Peat Pellets
- Seedling Heat Mat

your gona like that fan with the controller

The T4 fan is simply and beautifully amazing and need I say, it's ABOUT TIME this technology is here. lol For a tent that's in a conditioned space it's perfect... if either temp or humidity get above set levels the fan turns on, and at 1 of 6 different fan speeds based on how far above the current reading is above your set points... brilliant! I had plans to get a $50 attic fan controller that does the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom