Cannapocalypse 2017

I think many of us routinely feed our plants more nitrogen than they actually need - in some cases, significantly so. That may be why a lot of people see somewhere in the neighborhood of a 50% M:F ratio (when using "non-feminized" seeds) - when, in nature, a few males should be more than sufficient to pollinate a large field of female cannabis plants. Actually, one could, in theory, spoil I mean pollinate just about every bit of sinsemilla within a ¼-mile radius, given fair and variable winds... But a few more would help in terms of genetic diversity. I've always thought that we ought to get closer to 80% females (if not more) if the conditions were optimum during the plants' early stage.

A lot of people seem to like to keep upping the nutrients until they see burning, then back the levels down only slightly. I have been guilty of this, as well. But at some point I started wondering if that was why most folks seem to feel the need to flush their plants so thoroughly, lol. Flushing... is something that they do not experience when grown outdoors in their natural environment. In better times, some of the better tasting cannabis that I grew - and in DWC hydroponic reservoirs, lol - only got slight flushing, if at all. But those plants... I saw leaf yellowing (and leaf drop) by harvest time. It was like... Well, I was busy - and lazy - and wasn't pushing the girls. Plus, it was at a time when I always had more cannabis than I could seem to get rid of (THAT is just a fading memory...). It's funny: Some of the times when I put forth the least amount of effort was when the plants seemed to reward me the most. Go figure.

Speaking of hydroponics, I would often mix at a certain pH. Then I would let the plants slowly change it (by their consumption of nutrients), and after it had changed a bit, I'd add in some more (flowering) nutrients, which would put the pH right back where it started. I might stretch a reservoir past the week that I had originally intended, maybe double the time that way, sometimes adding more nutrients, sometimes adding water. I guess that'd be tough now without meters :rolleyes3 . And it wasn't really relevant when I had LARGE plants in hot conditions under strong "wind" - they might consume/transpire 15, even 20 gallons of water in 24 hours. But I have been thinking about throwing some clones in two-liter bottles (what folks call "hempy" these days) - which as you know, depending on the medium, is a form of passive hydroponics. And I am wondering if it might be of any benefit if I was to try to mimic that gentle pH change over time manually, by alternating (slightly) the pH of what I pour into the bottles. Do you have any thoughts/opinions on such an idea?

BtW, the PPM levels that you mentioned... do they count what is already in your water supply (or do you use RO/distilled/etc.)? IIRC, my tap water is loaded, over 300 PPM (mostly calcium, I think, so I could probably get by with Epsom salt in lieu of a Cal-Mag product, I expect). Seems like its pH was not great, either, something like 8.1 last time I checked which, unfortunately, was about three years ago, so I have no idea now. I still have not managed to find a way to budget a new probe for my pH pen (and I am only hoping that the meter, itself, is still fine) and by friend no longer works at a local wastewater treatment plant - so I do not have the luxury of "taking over" its lab pretty much any night I feel like it. I sure miss that place. Some nights the smell was literally like a physical force, lol, but that was only outside (and down 80' or so underground in one of the "tunnels" where we'd occasionally go to smoke a gram or two if he was worried that his boss might have reason to stop by), and the lab was fully stocked... easily well over $100K just in meters, tools, ovens, centrifuges, and miscellenous goodies, and then there were the chemicals including adjusters, acids many & varied, and... many other things just waiting to bring out the little boy in every mad scientist :riskybusiness: . It was a great place to make hash oil, too. And there was a scale that almost felt like a crime to use. Well, I suppose it was, come to think of it, lol. But I mean because it was so accurate. They had EC meters (four or five of them, IIRC), of course. But since so many of the things that they measured there were... organic in nature, they mostly measured total dissolved solids by taking a sample, flash-heating it until only a very tiny amount of residue was left, and then actually weighing the stuff. Parts per million? No problem, heh... This thing was so accurate that it sat in a glass case, on a granite table that weighed as much as a small automobile, on four special "disturbance-minimizing" pads, on a solid concrete floor, 35' away from anything else - and you could still cause the measurement to fluctuate just by (almost literally) farting around clear on the other side of the lab, it read out to that many decimal places. I sometimes think that scale was capable of measuring someone's thoughts ;) . Boy... I really, really miss that lab. I was actually thinking about trying to get myself hired there - after all, when my buddy first started working there, it seemed like he called me two or three times/night asking me how to do something or other because he hadn't made it through the three-foot stack of manuals/books they gave him to digest yet :rolleyes3 - but then he quit to go work somewhere else and he let everyone from the newest hire all the way up to the mayor of the city know exactly what he thought of them in no uncertain terms. Oh, and he filed a rather in-depth report with the EPA, too, which cost the city a few million dollars since they were still acting like it was 1950 when it came to treating the area's wastewater (plus just being shoddy and lazy). So, you know... there went my reference, and the job market here is such that every time someone so much as hears a rumor that they might be hiring another employee in the next 12 months there are two or three thousand applicants (and I have NO certification or formal training - just a little common sense, 40+ years of reading everything I could get my hands on (some small portion of which I actually remember), and maybe a thing or two I've learned... growing cannabis. Alas, I cannot put that on a résumé). Besides, I think they're hair-testing now, where before they were barely even doing random yearly urine tests, just checking potential new hires and those who screwed up monumentally on the job. And they weren't even all that consistent on the latter - once, my buddy called me all in a panic, came and got me, took me back to see if I could help him straighten things out... whereupon I discover that he somehow managed to chlorinate a gigantic tank full of microscopic life ("digesters"), lol. I think he ended up having to file paperwork over that one due to it skewing everyone's readings up for two or three weeks.

Err... I can't remember what my point was. <SHRUGS> It's good to have a friend that works in a "crap factory," maybe? IDK... But I'm glad I finally found your other journal. Until this morning, I hadn't realized that you had more than just the one. Be well, stay cool, and grow big, lol.

I've not thought about hempy buckets until lately... might be an interesting thing to try for me, at least for 1 plant in veg, see how it goes. I find that I am using a lot more PH down now to counteract the issue of rising PH in coco because I am not on drip feed yet, still by hand.

My Ph Down is incidentally P acid. Yup, that's right. Phosphoric Acid. Somebody stole my precious Sulfuric acid and my license expired to buy it so now I have to fart around with bureaucracy again :clown:

My Tap ppm is 50 which is pretty good actually for city water. Its natural PH is 6.8. I do throw a splash of epsom into my res. chelated calcium also, also silicon, humic/fulvic acid and all the water soluble stuff for major and minor nutrients. I calibrate my new probe all the time now and always keep it clean to hopefully get a good 6 months from it.

Cool story about the waste treatment facility. Nobody would detect scientist's bong smoke with all that pungent poo odor in the air outside, it's like camouflage :bongrip:

Got my sulfuric acid ph Down today :bongrip:

I'm pretty sure Phosphoric Acid can cause a P build up with as much as I need to use with coco so I discontinued its use.

Bud updates tomorrow for Day 33

Smooth sailing now... Tweaked the nutrients profile, ppm is 870 ph 5.6 on the big one and 700 ph 5.8 on the little one.

I lowered the HPS 2 inches closer to the tops now that stretch is over.

:bongrip:

IMG_269614.JPG

Looking good. With a "mild" nutrient profile, you might notice the leaves' green color becoming less "in your face" (so to speak), and even a progressive dropping of leaves late in flower, as their stored nutrients are used up. I would look at that as a good thing... as long as you do not run out of leaves before you, err, run out of flowering time. Instead of giving your plants as much as they can use - and more - so that, each time you feed, a little more builds up, by giving them only what they actually need, the requirement for flushing at the end becomes much less so. Just remember that there may still be some overabundance in certain components unless you are feeding with a (very) multi-part nutrient, since one cannot really use a premixed (as opposed to 23 individual sacks of powders) one to add, for example, a little boron (which I once read was the most widespread micro-nutrient deficiency in the plant world, lol) without also adding several other elements along with it. And you will have to be extra vigilant in watching for deficiencies, of course.

Wait... I forget just what you are using for nutrients. Someone here did seem to be using "23 individual sacks of powders" instead of the usual three-part (et cetera) commercial product. Was that you?

LOL yea that's me. I mix 9 different nutrient compounds , some are just simple additives like chelated calcium.

That right there is a warning sign that may cause a nanny grower to lash out at me but I am doing DIY on purpose ...

I have some evidence that things are finally working out with my latest Veg plants. MY goal is to make a formula similar to what cannacoco A+B does... all soluble stuff that the plant can rapidly absorb AND in a sterile hydroponic environment.

In the veg room i have a beautiful pure sativa strain that looks gorgeous under my new feed regime :bongrip:

Unbelievably I won the indoor bug battle, not a single larvae in sight.

Hey these buds may not be 5 stars but this is an ongoing fun journal... when these finish up I have a 90 cm wide girl ready to go into next 12/12 under 1 400W hps with a prediction for superior results :thumb:

That right there is a warning sign that may cause a nanny grower to lash out at me but I am doing DIY on purpose ...

Did you misspell "newbie" ;) ?

I've heard stories ... sure, tall tales perhaps but still intriguing none the less.

Indica Dom. strains and colas the size of boxing gloves with co2 enrichment.

Have a good weekend comrades :bongrip:

So I will let them hang out a little while longer but I am already feeding them lite, <500 ppm.

I found a bigger place to have my grow op so Explodey IV will be hitting 12/12 at the beginning of Nov. I will have a pic update on that big girl. She's on my new coco line of nutrients and definitely looks happy without deficiencies - 90cm wide girl

Hmmm I am unsure whether or not I will get sponsored with a new grow light and tent now so I guess I will be arming the 300 Watt ceramic CREE LED 3000K 95CRI just in case.

Yes, I will be running it close to full power, No, I do not care about efficiency per watt, I just want to blast them with lumens and great color spectrum while keeping heatsink temperatures below 50c

Later :bongrip:

Looking great Vlad. Buds on the way. :thumb: I'll just add my 2 cents worth of ebxperience to the mix. That solo cup grow I did... uhhh ...back whenever it was- more than 3 days ago/lost in the mists of time forever, that was my first dtw attempt and it went great- won the POTM with one of them, which was in coco. Anyway- I maxed out my feed at about 650 ppm. Actually hovered around 600-650 most of flowering with three auto-waterings a day. Ph going in was around 5.6 and experience tells me that it will rise in the pot after it dribbles in.
I'm just finishing up another dtw run now and it also went well under the same schedule.

:passitleft:

Edit- Spelled expeariense wrong. F--k it I'm leaving it that way.

Nice wheez, I'm happy for your triumph with POTM and that little solo cup gal she turned out bomb.

Yea I read over and over ... coco is to be kept wet in flower for best results, that means autofeeding and what not...

I hope this is my year to have all noobish failures worked out of my coco game :bongrip:

Looks like the liar Zionists are about to start their World War so better get the canna stash built up.

IMG_276614.JPG

So they are on their last week. In 7 days chop chop, crusty old hags outta here then it's time to shoot for a perfect flower on my final acapulco go0ld clone - explodey 4

Alight, Next week will be the unveiling of the new plant "ExplodeyIV" of the same clone line that will blow these 2 plants out of the water.

Coco Noob (newbie) days are over :bongrip:

These two girls are on the last week I want to deal with them. The next plant will prove if this is more than just a 50 day strain.

Oh and I am watermark nerd like Light Addict so that will be unveiled on the next plant's photos :cheesygrinsmiley:. "my perfect coco run". Let's see :bongrip:

Back to the crispers, they are on PPM 330 PH 5.8, flushing down on the final bulk and sheen

IMG_279411.JPG
IMG_279310.JPG

IMG_278514.JPG

Looks really good Vlad... Is this one the frostiest one you have grown yet? Looks sticky tasty...

:peace:

FE

I'd say so comrade.

Limping them home on a light feeding solution plus having the coco free of PH imbalance has helped her little calyx pods swell up and more trichs showing up too.

The smell is changing to a near complete bouquet of maturity. They get the chop by Friday I think so I can put Explodey IV by herself under the 400W HID to do a couple of weeks under 18/6.

She has a 3 gallon pot of coco and she's my biggest ;)
almost 20mm wide stalk at the base

I hold the belief that this is really not a 50 day strain, that only my mere noobish tendencies to muck with the fragile equilibrium has caused them to RIP sooner than they should.

I'm very stoked about the next 12/12 coming up in the beginning of November when I run my "A" game on coco :bongrip:

Have a nice Sunday

I'd say so comrade.

Limping them home on a light feeding solution plus having the coco free of PH imbalance has helped her little calyx pods swell up and more trichs showing up too.

The smell is changing to a near complete bouquet of maturity. They get the chop by Friday I think so I can put Explodey IV by herself under the 400W HID to do a couple of weeks under 18/6.

She has a 3 gallon pot of coco and she's my biggest ;)
almost 20mm wide stalk at the base

I hold the belief that this is really not a 50 day strain, that only my mere noobish tendencies to muck with the fragile equilibrium has caused them to RIP sooner than they should.

I'm very stoked about the next 12/12 coming up in the beginning of November when I run my "A" game on coco :bongrip:

Have a nice Sunday

I have over run the pc in my grow and the strain seems fragile now.. If i play with it too much it won't hit 8 weeks.. the last one was a cleaner run and I should have run it longer...lol

:peace:

FE

Back
Top Bottom