Cardboard Flowerbox Test 3 - 41 Week Perpetual SOG

re: Cardboard Flowerbox Test 3 - 41 Week Perpetual SOG

Jandre.....I could feel your excitement from here buddy!

I'm really happy for you my friend! What a steal !. The babies are looking nice and healthy green. Now your in business, side lighting and all. Happy Father's day! I'm loving your happiness. :thumb:

heheh, with all the hell that Test3 has endured, it was VERY exciting to get some good results, finally, lol. Thanks for the well wishes, and for the Father's Day wishes, as well. Same to you (if that applies)! Even if it IS a week early, lol.

Okay, folks... Good plant news. FINALLY, HUH?!

the clones that will recover from the fungus/treatment are recovering nicely, and have all shown new growth. VERY TIGHT nodes, almost too tight, lol! This light works WONDERS! I think that I will be a proponent for HPS when this is all over.

Anyway, today marks the completion of day 7 of recovery, and with the new growth abounding in the stressed out plants, I have switched back to 12-1 GLR for veg-and-prep, getting ready for Flower in about a month. That time may change when I see their growth in the next couple of weeks, but for now, this is the time frame. Just gonna (sigh) have to play this one by ear, watch for the changes, listen for the ad-libs and try to keep up.

7.0 days tracking Blue Diesel- Clone - BD
7.0 days tracking Blue Diesel- Clone - BD
7.0 days tracking Green Fluffy Bunnies Clone - GFB
7.0 days tracking Jandre Kush - Jandre
7.0 days tracking Lamb's Bread Clone - LamBrd
7.0 days tracking Plush Berry Kush Clone - PBK
7.0 days tracking Purple Widow Clone - PW
7.0 days tracking Purple Widow Clone - PW

48 in total, but still expecting 2 of the Lamb's Bread do fall out in this coming week due to poor performance.

sounds like you got them back in health and growing, nice recovery, would reps but i got to spread some first, ill reps next time round

I think I need to know your clone setup and cloning 101
I'm having issues at the moment and I'm not really sure what that issue is. I may PM you tomorrow about it
It's late and I have to get to bed

Cloning: Mad Simple

Cloning: Mad simple
by @jandre2k3, 01-06-2012 at 02:02 PM (72 Views)

WHAT YOU'LL NEED
RUBBING ALCOHOL
SURGICAL, OR EXAMINATION GLOVES (unless you're a hand washer)
SMALL SNIPS OR SCISSORS - Must be sharp!!
A SINGLE EDGE RAZOR BLADE - Must be sharp!! A new blade is best.
BACK-UP BLOCK - A piece of wood or plastic or cutting board
SHOT GLASS -Or similar small glass or plastic container.
SPRAY BOTTLE WITH WATER
SEED TRAY WITH CLEAR HUMIDITY DOME
GROWING MEDIUM - One of any of several growing media available at your local hydroponics stores (NOT SOIL).
ROOTING HORMONE - You will need a good quality rooting hormone. You can use a powdered rooting hormone but in My opinion they are much harder to work with resulting in a reduced success rate. Alternatively, you can make a "tea" of willow branches.
BEFORE YOU START
It is critical that you sterilize everything before you start, because cuttings are very susceptible to fungus, viruses and diseases until they root. Everything, even YOU must be clean, Use rubbing alcohol on your gloves (or sanitizer on your hands), the snips, the razor blade and the cutting block. Rinse the shot glass (or whatever you are using) with alcohol, dry it and then fill it 3/4 full with rooting hormone, and set it aside for now.
This might sound obvious, but you should only use very healthy cannabis plants to take cuttings from. The healthier the "mother" cannabis plant(s) the better success you will have with your clones. You should take a few more cuttings than you need and then select the best ones to use and throw away any that are unhealthy.
TIP: You can leach the nitrogen out of the mother cannabis plant(s) by watering them heavily with pH adjusted water only (no fertilizer) for two or three days before you take the cuttings, because the nitrogen stored in the cannabis plant can retard rooting.
Decide what you are going to use for growing medium. Most people use either Rockwool, Rapid Rooters, or Oasis cubes, which are probably the easiest to use because they are pre-formed and already have a hole in them for the cutting. However, you can use many different mediums just as successfully. For instance, you could use plastic cups with holes cut in the bottom to hold coconut fiber, a Perlite & Vermiculite mix or other loose type growing medium. Do not use regular dirt, potting soil, or Peat Pellets as they stay too wet and will rot the stem. These media can also harbor a myriad of diseases and parasites, Depending on where you get them, regular dirt especially. Not to mention the tiny little particulate matter in soils could "clog" the cut end of the stem, thus blocking nutrient uptake and causing health problems later. You will need to pre-soak your growing medium before you start, using pH balanced water. Distilled water is the best thing to use, but any good water source will work. NOTE: Most growing media need to be soaked in pH 5 to pH 7 water, (Rockwool needs to be treated with water adjusted to a pH of 5.5 then rinse-to-waste with some of your nutrient solution as it contains lime from the manufacturing process).
Make holes in the top of the growing medium about the same size or a little smaller than the stems of the cuttings. You do not want to force the cutting into the growing medium.
Work quickly but carefully. When you make the cut that separates the clone from the mother, you must get it into the rooting hormone as quickly as possible to prevent air from getting pulled into the stem.
TAKE THE CUTTINGS
Using the snips, take a growing tip from your cannabis plant 3" to 6" long with at least one leaf internode, two is better but not always possible. (A leaf internode is where the leaf connects to the stem) cut approximately 1/4" below the internode(s)
With the snips, carefully cut off one or two leaves (or small branches) at the cut end of your clone flush with the stem.
With the razor blade slightly below where you just trimmed the leaves. Cut at a 45 to 60 deg. angle. Make this cut as quick and clean as you can, you do not want to tear or crush the stem.
Immediately insert the cutting into the rooting hormone. If you are using a liquid hormone you can let the cutting soak for 30-60 seconds. (NOTE: With a gel type hormone you just dip the cutting and then insert it into the growing medium).
Insert the cutting into the growing medium, do not push the cutting all the way thru the medium, leave room for the roots to develop. Make sure that the cut(s) you made at the leaf internode(s) are below the surface of the growing medium.
Gently pack the growing medium up against the cutting. Make sure there is good contact between the cutting and the growing medium.
CARE AND FEEDING INSTRUCTIONS
:goodjob:
Congratulations! You have now successfully taken cuttings or clones, now the challenge is to keep them alive long enough to root. The cuttings are obviously very vulnerable at this point and must be handled with care. If you follow the steps below you should have few problems.
Once you have your cutting(s) in the growing medium mist them with the spray bottle filled with water and place them in the tray. Mist the inside of the clear humidity dome and place dome over the tray. (NOTE: The cuttings need some ventilation and a couple of small holes in the dome will usually do the trick).
For the first 5-7 days, remove the dome and mist the cuttings 2 or 3 times a day. This step is critical as the cuttings have no way to replenish lost moisture because they have no roots. Mist the inside of the dome and replace on tray. This keeps the cuttings from drying out and also humidifies the air inside the dome. The humidity under the dome needs to be about 90 % until roots appear on the cuttings. (NOTE: Be careful that the air under the dome doesn't get too warm, if it is, you may have to increase the amount of venting, and increase the number or mistings per day). Cuttings need to be kept between 72 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit as temperatures too hot or too cold will inhibit root growth. If you live in a cold climate you may need a heated propagation mat.
After about a week you can test to see if your cannabis plants have started to root. Remove the humidity dome and leave it off for an hour or two. If the cannabis plants have not wilted at all then they probably have enough root development to support themselves. If no wilt is noticed leave the dome off, if they are wilted, spray the cuttings and dome and replace the dome on the tray. Once you have determined that the cannabis plants can support themselves, stop misting the cuttings and leave the humidity dome off. (NOTE: Once the cannabis plants have roots, constant misting can actually be harmful to the cannabis plants).
To water the cuttings you can use either plain distilled water (or other Good Quality Water), or you can add a very mild fertilizer at 1/4 strength for most general purpose hydroponic fertilizer solutions. Don't forget to adjust the pH of the water/nutrient solution (5.5 for hydroponic media, 6.5 for most everything else).
Water the cuttings every 2 days unless you live in a very dry climate then you should water every day. Just make sure to NEVER let the growing medium dry out. Also, never let your cuttings sit in water, or the stem will rot. (NOTE: A great way to water the cuttings is to use two trays, one with holes and the other without. Nest the trays together with holes inside, and pour in your water or weak nutrient solution. Let them sit for a few moments and then slowly raise the tray with holes out of the other and let it drain). Small Hydroponic systems are available to automate the watering cycles of the cuttings, greatly reducing the amount of manual labor.
If the lower leaves start to turn yellow and die, don't worry, it is perfectly normal. It is the cannabis plant feeding off of itself to sustain life, moving valuable nutrient and water from the older growth. Do not remove any dead growth until the cannabis plant is well rooted. If you remove the dying growth the cannabis plant can starve and die completely.
Water isn’t the only thing that makes plants grow, the cuttings are going to need light, you need bright light, but not too intense. If you are leaving your cuttings outside, look for a place with dappled sunlight. Indoors you can use a double tube fluorescent fixture with both a cool white bulb and a warm white bulb in the fixture (or two "grow" tubes). This will give a good, balanced light spectrum. Fluorescent light doesn't penetrate so you must keep the lights very close to the cannabis plants (1-2 inches above the cannabis plants).
It is not highly recommended, but, If you are using a Metal Halide or High Pressure Sodium fixture you must keep the cuttings much further away (2 - 3 feet away for 175 - 400 watt bulbs and 4 - 6 feet for a 1000 watt bulb).
In either case the lights should be turned on for 18 to 24 hours a day. I run 24/7 T5 HO until I see roots, then one more week afterward, then I use Twelve12's lighting method, Gas Lantern Routine (12/1):​
12 hours on.​
5.5 hours off.​
1 hour on.​
5.5 hours off.​
When the cuttings are completely rooted you can move them into your hydroponic system or the soil.

Here's a guy from one of the local hydro shops with a demonstration.

pay no attention to the "Commercial" part and only from 1:13 to 2:04.

The rest is a product that I do not use, as it is organic, and I run a sterile system. Jason (in the video) has helped me out a few times in my early days of hydro, and tried to get me to grow organic, but I am resistant to his pressure, lol!

[video=youtube;_msw_gBv_cw]
[/video]

Okay, so as I thought one of the Lamb's Bread has given up the ghost.

8.3 days tracking Blue Diesel- Clone - BD
8.3 days tracking Blue Diesel- Clone - BD
8.3 days tracking Green Fluffy Bunnies Clone - GFB
8.3 days tracking Jandre Kush - Jandre
8.3 days tracking Lamb's Bread Clone - LamBrd
8.3 days tracking Plush Berry Kush Clone - PBK
8.3 days tracking Purple Widow Clone - PW
8.3 days tracking Purple Widow Clone - PW

I'm going camping today, and this should be my final post for a while. I'll try to get back to you all when I return to civilization.

I'm going to go be uncivilized for a while.

Okay, folks! Fishing trip went swimmingly, hehe, pardon the pun there. And there was a HUGE SURPRISE waiting for me when I returned. I might be flipping the flower switch THIS WEEKEND! I'll post some pics in a few to show the growth. It's amazing what an HID light and GLR can do over a week.

But first....

The fishing trip:

We left Sunday morning at about 10 am, I think and it was an uneventful drive to our new favorite spot. It's just off CA HWY 4 and down a dirt road in Alpine County. I call it heaven, but the locals call it Union Reservoir.

When we were driving down the last 200 yards or so and turned the last bend, there were a TON of cars in the makeshift parking spots. We both looked at each other with a look of dread, but, to my immense surprise, there was no one in the camping spot we had prepared the month before. We hurried
to get the tent and a few camp supplies unloaded and in our spot, and then unloaded the rest and I went to park the car.

Our tent was, of course, pitched first and that only took about 5 minutes. Yes we're cool like that, semi-pro campers and all. Anyway, the 10-man was up and we set about organizing the rest of camp where we would stay for the next 9 days. We got it all done in just under 45 minutes and the sun was still up. I looked over at the fishing tackle and then at my lovely life companion. She smiled and said, "We're done, if you wanna go say hello."

I needed nothing more said. I immediately stripped off my traveling clothes and put on what I call my "BDU's of fishing." They serve as my carry-everything-so-I-don't-have-to clothes. Cargo pants with zippered legs in case I get hot, and a shirt as old as the hills but is oh, so comfy. Sandals complete the attire for wading into the shallows, and I grab my "pack" and go.

At the water's edge I asses the waters, and the prey items for fish moving about the edge of the water and surrounding vegetation, and decide the fly rod is first up. I tie on a Wooly Bugger, as the dragon flies are beginning to show up, and this looks sort of like a dragon fly nymph and wade out to just above knee high. God damn trees were too close and I lost my first fly in a tree. I hate it when trees move to grab my tackle! I mean honestly, don't they have anything better to do than to mess with a poor ole fisherman trying to relax?

So I tie on a #16 black fly because I saw a bunch of those while trying to climb out on the limb and get my first fly I lost and started my presentation; Flawless, if I do say so myself. The fly kissed the water about 20 feet from my knees and EXPLODED! The water where the fly hit was an angry boil where it had once been and now my line was stretching past a comfortable point. I started a controlled drag, but it was no good. So I stopped "rimming" the reel and just let it play. As soon as that happened, whatever I had headed straight for a grouping of rocks just under the surface. This was a smart fish, but I knew what he was up to and was not about to let it happen. "TURN, YOU BASTARD!" I said as I wheeled over to the left and palmed the reel again. Evidently, I got its attention because he turned alright... right at ME!

So I have gawd knows what on my line and it's fast as hell, faster than I can reel to try and control it once it's at my feet. Remember I'm in the water? I realize, I had forgotten my net, when I reach to my left hip and feel the empty loop. "SHIT!" So I start backing out of the water, to have a better chance at landing this thing. Did you know that a fish swimming right at you can be frightening? No? I didn't either, but with ultralight gear, and no net, things can get ugly real fast when you get something like this on your line. Anyway, the damn thing slams into my shin, and it actually hurt! Now I'm thinking that there's something else in this lake besides just fish, and I happen to have hooked one.

I stumble backwards for another 15 feet until I topple onto the bank. I sit there a minute and watch this thing furiously trying to get away, dragging my line along with it. Then I feel the line start to stretch and my beautiful 8.5 foot fly rod snaps at about 6 feet! Furious now, that this thing has cost me a good rod, there's now way I'm letting this, whatever it is, get away. I play it out over the next 3 or 4 minutes, and finally it seems that it's starting to tire. So I start reeling, broken tip and all. When I finally see what I've hooked, I let out a whoop so loud that the kayakers across the lake start to paddle in, and a fisherman down the bank comes to see. Luckily he brought his net with him, because just as he gets there, it starts to shake the hook. I credit him with the assist of a 22" Kokanee and the biggest one he's ever seen in that lake.

Adrenaline pumping, mad as hell at this fish, excited as all get-out at landing my first fish within 2 hours of being at the lake, I let out a yell that draws congratulations from across the lake. I hold it up for all to see, and cheers ring out along with some other unknown expletives that got lost in the echos from the mountains that surround us. Needless to say, my daughter and I had a great dinner, but not until I snapped a pic for posterity. That's my big toe showing out of my sandals in the bottom right of the picture for size reference.

A kokanee is a sockeye salmon of a dwarf variety that lives in landlocked lakes in western North America.

I was able to repair the rod, but I lost about 4" total to get the repair done right. He was good eating though.

After a good dinner, "E" can't eat fish, so she had chicken, we settled down and built up the fire. The munchkin ate everything on her plate so she asked about roasting "shmawrsh-shmellows". We both grinned, and got out the roasting sticks and the Peeps. Yes, Peeps. You know those marshmallow chicks covered in sugar around in the spring time? Well our dollar store carries them all the time! They're soo good roasted in an open fire... Ever had a
crème brûlée? Well, the
brûlée part is the caramelized sugar on the top. With peeps, it just so happens that when you roast them, you get a nice crust of caramelized sugar on the outside, and a warm gooey inside of mallow goodness. I call them Peeps Brûlée.

Here's the sunset we had to take some pics of.

The next morning, the birds and chipmunks were our alarm clock, so we got up and made coffee.

Ever seen a water dog up close?? I got the rare pleasure of seeing it up close and personal! It looks like smoke, and even fools the rookie ranger on fire watch, but that is mist, moving like a river through the trees.

Later on that week, I went down to the N. Fork. Stanislaus river where it crosses the road a little way up the road and did some fishing there. They had planted that day, and I caught a nice trout.
20" on an untralight spincast. No fly fishing there, it was too overgrown and cramped for the back-and-forth of a fly presentation. Took this pic when I got back to camp, later that morning.

We had a good time out there, and went hiking, rowing, climbing, (yes the munchkin, too), and even got in a little exploration of the surrounding lakes. Union is our spot, and that's where we'll visit often. Here's a view from the top of the mountain behind us. We just had to get to the top. 7200Feet elevation at the lake doesn't seem like it's too bad, until you try to climb 600 more feet. I was bushed, and had to sit at the top for a while. This is what I had to look at while I recovered.

In all I caught 13 lbs of rainbow trout, ate about 5lbs, caught about 20 lbs of kokanee of which I ate about 6 lbs and gave away about 8 lbs. All told we brought home a total of about 13lbs of fresh fish. That should last me a good while.

Okay, now for the big surprise. The HID lamp, Crazy Growth schedule with the Blue Planet Nutrients, on Gas Lantern Routine (GLR/12-1)

I got home after my camping trip, expecting to see something a little bigger than the week before. For a reminder, here is the week before:

After the power debacle, I decided to do some extra preparation, and care... When I got home...

Are you ready for this??

And I thought that I could tell stories! You put me to shame ole Buddy! :thumb:

That was a story of a man that was in his glory and who loved every minute of it. When you mentioned your family, your words were glowing with pride and happiness.

Your yelp of happiness at the fish you caught must have echoed all over that lake. Yes!

When you went hiking, I could feel the crisp cool air around you.

Sounded like everyone there was having good time too. Glad the guy had a net to help you with that monster fish.

Those are the times, when you know your alive!

I'm so happy for you Jandre!

You even had booty to bring home. That's what I call a perfect vacation.
:party::woohoo:

And I thought that I could tell stories! You put me to shame ole Buddy! :thumb:

That was a story of a man that was in his glory and who loved every minute of it. When you mentioned your family, your words were glowing with pride and happiness.

Your yelp of happiness at the fish you caught must have echoed all over that lake. Yes!

When you went hiking, I could feel the crisp cool air around you.

Sounded like everyone there was having good time too. Glad the guy had a net to help you with that monster fish.

Those are the times, when you know your alive!

I'm so happy for you Jandre!

You even had booty to bring home. That's what I call a perfect vacation.
:party::woohoo:
I'm so glad you enjoyed the story. It is what I felt: Alive. Part of where I came from, and where I will return. The Earth... It is to be enjoyed, not plundered. The Mother gives us so much and asks so little. Just care for her, and she will provide all. It was good to be in her arms again. To see the deer, the bear, the eagle, and all the other wildlife. To be cradled in nature is the way man was meant to live, not to bend the natural to our whim. Of course some sacrifices need to be made in order to have some of the amenities we "require", but there is no reason to destroy everything. To look up into the night sky with no city lights around is a breathtaking experience that everyone should enjoy. To touch a deer that just walks right up to you because it has no reason to fear you. To hand feed a chipmunk a pine nut or two. To watch an eagle catch a fish as big as it is, and carry it to the nest high in a pine tree that's now just a pole to feed her young. To see a mother bear, teaching her cub the art of grubbing, and to have her look straight at you a moment, and go back to the lesson, and not give a damn that you're even standing there just 100 or so yards away. To swim in the water that was just months ago clinging to the mountain tops as snow. That is where life is, my friend. And that is where my heart was left, at least a part of it... I will rejoin it again soon enough... I shed a tear every time I think of how most people don't even care that it is there, and would destroy it all in the name of progress if it were up to them.

Damn! I knew you were happy about your girls.....but ........that is growth! You shouldn't change a thing...they are certainly dialed in! :bravo:
HEHEHE! I thought you'd be impressed! I sure was when I opened the box and saw that. Believe me, I'm planning on making no changes at all, except for maybe one change... That is accelerating my adjusted timeline after the catastrophe of last month!! Holy, carp, I may actually get back on schedule!

Moved 10 GFB, 6 PBK and 1 JndrK out of this phase and back into K-8 to veg some more. This allowed me to even out and open up the canopy a bit, and better space the bigger kids throughout the flower box. The ones I moved out, were being shadowed by the others and would have performed poorly, so they got held back a cycle to mature some, before going on. This unexpected turn of events, has let me allow my mothers to grow a bit more before taking a batch of new clones until the cycle after next.

This has also reset their veg time considerably, because of the shading, so I will just remove them altogether from this go 'round, and reset their veg time in Herb.IQ for ease of record keeping and reporting.
IMG_20120620_075846.jpg

This is the reorganization and seating assignments for the next graduating class.
IMG_20120620_080920.jpg

Still in the flower box, and due to flip within this next week are:
IMG_20120620_075927.jpg
SIDE A-
18.3 days tracking Plush Berry Kush Clone - PBK
18.3 days tracking Green Fluffy Bunnies Clone - GFB
18.3 days tracking Jandre Kush - Jandre

IMG_20120620_080849.jpg
SIDE B-
18.3 days tracking Blue Diesel- Clone - BD
18.3 days tracking Blue Diesel- Clone - BD
18.3 days tracking Lamb's Bread Clone - LamBrd
18.3 days tracking Purple Widow Clone - PW
18.3 days tracking Purple Widow Clone - PW

I also lowered the light to within 12" of the tops in the center, to give a little stronger light. I've been told that a 400HPS can be within 8" so I'm testing tolerance at this point to see how they respond.

hope you had good trip mate, looks like you bought home a few dinners, the plants are shocking how much they have changed, maybe glr works better on clones than it does on seedlings, i never got much more growth using glr from seed i found 20-4 and 24-0 gave the most growth, but now im thinking what if its the best method for clones because they would be the same age as the mother so might start the stretch due to the lights been 12-1, either way mate it really is working for your plants

hope you had good trip mate, looks like you bought home a few dinners, the plants are shocking how much they have changed, maybe glr works better on clones than it does on seedlings, i never got much more growth using glr from seed i found 20-4 and 24-0 gave the most growth, but now im thinking what if its the best method for clones because they would be the same age as the mother so might start the stretch due to the lights been 12-1, either way mate it really is working for your plants

There are 10 seedlings in this bunch....
Speaking of seeds...

10/10 germination.

24 hour water soak.

Drop in rockwool cubes, cover, place in Cardboard Flower Box under T5 lighting 18" above On the GLR. Left side. Will start on 1/4 nutes when second pair shows.
IMG_20120527_093308.jpg

Okay, now for the big surprise. The HID lamp, Crazy Growth schedule with the Blue Planet Nutrients, on Gas Lantern Routine (GLR/12-1)

I got home after my camping trip, expecting to see something a little bigger than the week before. For a reminder, here is the week before:
That's them on the right of the pic above.

Are you ready for this??
above is them now.

Later on that week, I went down to the N. Fork. Stanislaus river where it crosses the road a little way up the road and did some fishing there. They had planted that day, and I caught a nice trout.[/COLOR][/B] 20" on an untralight spincast. No fly fishing there, it was too overgrown and cramped for the back-and-forth of a fly presentation. Took this pic when I got back to camp, later that morning.
Sounds like an awesome trip and that is the creepiest facial distortion mask I think I have ever seen.
:high-five:

Back
Top Bottom