Colombian Gold Grow: Come Learn With Me How To Produce Your Own Seeds!

I had always heard that Colloidal silver was used to make feminized seeds. I had no idea that it would create male parts on a female plant. I wonder how this works, scientifically.
So, when you spray your auto and it creates pollen to pollinate the pistols, will the seeds be as stable and the mother they came from? I know there will be some phenotypic differences, but for the most part will it produce stable seeds like the seed that grew into the mother?

will the seeds be as stable and the mother they came from?

Everything I've found and learned would indicate that the seeds produced with this method are as stable as the female plant producing the pollen and seeds. I would also recommend working with two females of the same strain. Spray one to make the pollen and pollinate the second female of the same strain. But if you only have one plant, a female, you sure can make more fem seeds from her.

Here are a few pictures of my very first grow. The plant was a Trainwreck auto from CKS.
I sprayed one of the branches for probably 2 weeks and finally gave up when I didn't see any pollen sacks. But they were there, I just didn't really know what I was doing. I ended up harvesting about 100 or so seeds. I personally have grown 5 or 6 plants with these seeds. Friends have grown at least 8-10 that I am aware of and there were probably more. The plants I grew with these seeds were just fine.

Ethylene is a hormone produced by female plants and used to build pistilate flowers. Ionized Silver inhibits ethylene production so the plant will produce staminate flowers instead. The are everybit as stable as there male counter parts. Being genetically female the pollen sacs can only produce pollen with female chromosomes. 99% of off spring will be female.

Ethylene is a hormone produced by female plants and used to build pistilate flowers. Ionized Silver inhibits ethylene production so the plant will produce staminate flowers instead. The are everybit as stable as there male counter parts. Being genetically female the pollen sacs can only produce pollen with female chromosomes. 99% of off spring will be female.
That is very interesting and makes sense.

Everything I've found and learned would indicate that the seeds produced with this method are as stable as the female plant producing the pollen and seeds. I would also recommend working with two females of the same strain. Spray one to make the pollen and pollinate the second female of the same strain. But if you only have one plant, a female, you sure can make more fem seeds from her.

Great info! Thanks gurus!

on your auto, if you were to spray CS on the nodes on one branch, what is the timeline on how long it will take to grow the pollen and pollinate the plant? If it can happen fast, can you then remove the Male branch and move the auto to finish flower with other flowering plants?

Don't misinterpret my wise ass-edness as being bugged. I enjoy helping others on this site. God knows I've asked for help enough times myself.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I was on the edge of my seat....

First, be aware that you don't want to smoke or otherwise ingest any part of the plant that has been treated with the colloidal silver. If I have an auto I want to self pollinate I select a branch (the most segregated one I find) and will administer the CS as close to 5 days before flowering starts as possible. I used to spray it on but found brushing it onto the nodes and all along the branch works just as well, saves you a lot of spray, and reduces the harm done to the plant with over spray. Until I see female pollen sacks I apply the CS right before lights out and again when the lights come on. In most cases I start to see pollen sacks starting to appear in about 12-14 days. Some a little less time, some a little more time.

You can remove the treated branch if you want to, but there is no real reason to do this. And that treated branch will have viable seeds on it you'll be wasting cutting the branch off. I tie a bright orange or green ribbon the branch so I don't confuse it with the other branches and leave it on there.

But to answer your question. Yes, once you feel you have successfully pollinated what you want with the sprayed branch you can cut it off and flower the plant with the other plants. Just give it several days after amputation for any viable pollen to die so you have no unwanted pollen flying around.

Great stuff in here Beez!
My Kona Gold is most defn a hybrid but the more I read the more this seems to be true anyhow. Technically (according to school) Landraces found in places like Hawaii are called heirloom landrace, meaning they were never originally from Hawaii but brought there many years ago. Heirloom landraces develop a unique set of genetics that acclimate to the environment over many years from open pollination and therefor become a type of Landrace. These types of heirloom landraces are rarely pure and almost always a hybrid.

They also say that the landrace cannabis found in south and central America is heirloom and the strains now adapted to this region are descendants from landrace African strains. I’m keeping my mind open that my girl will have tropical terps :)
A very kind and generous friend gifted me a Quarter Pounder auto seed. I don't guess I'm allowed to say where it's from as they're not sponsors. But if you google "quarter pounder auto seeds" you'll be right there. This is a sativa dominant strain with a very high (25%) THC level. The second plant I grew was a Quarter Pounder auto. At the time I didn't know squat and was just flying by the seat of my pants. It turned out to be a rather large plant, and the buds were quite potent and dense. I am also sure I harvested the plant too early.....probably 3 weeks too early. Had I know then what I know now I would have at least tried to spray a branch and make a bunch of seeds from that plant. More and more lately I am starting to really like and enjoy growing auto flower plants. And sadly I have very few auto seeds in my seed collection. I hope to do some trading with some friends to build up a bit of an auto flower inventory. I figured since I was doing a journal about seed making I might as well drop that QP seed in a hempy cup and see what kind of luck I have producing some seeds from her. I have one Dark Devil seed left. I am thinking about planting it in a hempy solo cup and growing it alongside that QP plant. If I'm able to get the QP to produce pollen I can cross it with the Dark Devil. Should be a good cross with both being sativa dominant strains. My hope would be that the QP could produce a larger purple budded plant.

On Monday I planted the seed in a hempy solo cup with the perlite soaked with 1/4 strength nutrients. The plant sprouted this morning and has spent all day trying to stand up straight. I will let it grow in the perlite for 2-3 more days at which time I will transplant it into it's final 3 gallon pot in ProMix BX.

So did you plant the DDA? If your growing QP and DDA we are coincidentally running the same autos:) Woop

Now that is a coincidence Miss Newty as just yesterday I hand selected one of my last two Dark Devil seeds and popped it into a hempy solo cup. How far along are you autos? Going to give seed breeding a shot?

And about the Heirlooms, landraces.....I don't question any of that. I worry that the source of the seeds cannot be counted on to provide exactly what they're advertising.

Today is the start of day two of the dome weening process. I raised the time to 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off. So far I've completed 3 cycles this morning and both plants look exactly like they looked in the previous photos so no sense taking more. Because they are looking so strong and healthy I will up the time to 45 minutes off and 30 minutes back on after lunch this afternoon. If they handle that as well as I am anticipating I'll bump them up to 1 hour out of the domes and 30 minutes back under the domes. If they handle that well then tomorrow I will remove the domes and see how they do after a couple hours. If they still look good then I'll be done with the domes for these two cuttings. They will root.

Haha! Both are very sassy and I just checked and they both have pistils ugh! I stressed them with the topping I think or they are scheduled to pop after the 5-7th node so who knows. I hope they grow at least 4 times their size, that's exactly what my Brooklyn Sunrise autos did;)

The DDA does start flowering pretty quickly (days 21-26) I've found with the 3 I've grown. Two of the ones I grew stretched pretty well, the third not as big. You will absolutely LOVE the color and more so the fragrance of the flowers.

The QP auto I grew was quite a big gal if I remember correctly.

Back
Top Bottom