Colorful Sunset Sherbet Clones DWC

They were sitting directly on the floor initially. we now have them up on 2x6 stands to get them off the floor and allow air to circulate under the buckets and res. The ambient air temp outside the tent get up to around 68-70*. And it seems to be getting warmer and warmer every week. We have the opposite problem here with our high yesterday being in the mid 70's. I think the chiller will be the only real solution giving where we live and the wife doesn't want the tent moving back into the house. We live in a small house so it is near impossible to hide inside.
Chiller sounds like the only solution. I see you mentioned small house., so no spare bedroom I guess. Hehe

Chiller sounds like the only solution. I see you mentioned small house., so no spare bedroom I guess. Hehe
Haha forgot to touch on that one. We do have a spare bedroom, but that is the miss's home office / room for her family to visit. I built myself the garage so she could have pretty much the rest of the house. Provided i can do what i want with/in the garage ;):headbanger:

The stank is back damnit. Going to have to clean it out again tonight and this time do things a little different. Currently we are using tap water for this grow. A filter is on its way but up until now tap water straight from the hose has been keeping the girls wet. Been doing a lot of research regarding funky water, root rot, tap water, hydroguard or other bennies. It seems to be a consensus that the chlorine in tap water (city supply at least) will kill the bacteria in hydroguard. So every time i’ve added hydroguard, it probably survives all of 20 minutes before being “cleaned” by the tap water (and probably some leftover bleach from my cleaning efforts).
Going to be ditching the HG for some good ol 30% h2o2. Our local hydro shop is also hooking me up with a high capacity water filter and chiller. Both of which should be here Wednesday. Gonna keep ice bottling away until then.

thanks for stopping by! :passitleft:

Rearranged the entire room the tent is living in these days. Figured since i had to clean the whole system AGAIN, it was time to make some beneficial changes to the whole set up. I'm just gonna list em below to make it easy.

1 - Moved the tent to the other side of the room/closet and spun it 90 degrees to line the opening up with the door. Making getting in and out of there so much easier.

2 - Moving the tent uncovered an old 3/4" pvc line the previous owner of our house ran through the concrete wall they used for a janky laundry drain. Replaced that pipe with a new one, tied the outside right into a gutter downspout that leads into a drain in the ground that dumps in the back of the yard. No more snaking a drain hose from outside. and now i can drain anytime of the day or night and the only giveaway is the trickling water sound in the downspout.

3 - Bought a new pump and mounted it outside the res this time. Seems to have brought down our res temps and now there are less surfaces for bacteria to gather on with the pump not being submerged anymore.

4 - Rebuilt all of the exhaust ducting to take care of any air leaks.

Feels good to finally have everything set up the way i should have from the start. Cant believe we didnt utilize this drain line through the wall sooner. :yahoo: Photos coming shortly.

New location
08F48C23-02AC-48BA-95BE-BB56AE930267.jpeg

New remote pump
D3FD19B2-1AAA-4B36-A1B5-D39280EDD713.jpeg

Through wall drain line
281D8A7C-2E55-42C7-BA5B-2FA4C7A6E4C3.jpeg

and some shots of the little ladies. Lookin kind of pale since their roots just hit water last week and we’re still getting problems sorted out. Getting greener by the day though as we get the new set up dialed. Should be topping this week also.
822C95FC-623F-4D9D-9D9F-68F392A7CDEF.jpeg
E8949CF4-7EBD-404D-9CDA-C2E8806E4B34.jpeg

F3836405-0CA5-4C55-8BB6-94D8C25BE9C2.jpeg

140AFF82-0741-4021-82F6-D0A0A0A7787D.jpeg

FA4D0CB5-B890-4E02-A76B-B0B0172353C2.jpeg

Thanks for stopping by and happy gardening! :thanks:

What is the white material you have your plants popping out from? I really like the look.
Thanks! It's pink foam board from the hardware store. Something i dont think i saw mentioned in your journal, light blocking. That's what the foam board is in there for. Keep all light out of your buckets and tubing.

Just had this stuff lying around from a failed costume project.

Thanks! It's pink foam board from the hardware store. Something i dont think i saw mentioned in your journal, light blocking. That's what the foam board is in there for. Keep all light out of your buckets and tubing.

Just had this stuff lying around from a failed costume project.
Light blocking is something I have not read about before. Will you please go into my detail about that?

my buckets are black and tubing is clear.

Nice build! Came out great, I'm sorry to hear that you've been having some issues, but yeah you would have to keep reintroducing bennies with that water or go sterile preferably with a chiller. Ive used bennies on tap water.
Have you looked at Orca? Or keep adding the hydroguard more often.

Light blocking is something I have not read about before. Will you please go into my detail about that?

Gladly! Algae and bacteria love light. And will breed like crazy if any light touches the water in your system. Hence the use of Hydroguard or some other root enzyme/bacteria. If you have clear air lines, only use them outside the buckets. all the air lines entering buckets should be black just to be safe. we use check valves on our air lines. So if need be, use clear from the pump to the check valve, then black from the valve to the bucket. Better safe then sorry. A little more investment now, can save you from having to dump water and nutes prematurely because of algae.

It was supposed to be a "club" for a costume we were making our son last year. Unfortunately the glue i used to attach the layers didnt bond properly so it just sat in my scrap pile until it's new life presented itself :yahoo:

Nice build! Came out great, I'm sorry to hear that you've been having some issues, but yeah you would have to keep reintroducing bennies with that water or go sterile preferably with a chiller. Ive used bennies on tap water.
Have you looked at Orca? Or keep adding the hydroguard more often.
Thanks @Rexer I think we are just going sterile all the way with this one. and with a chiller of course. I'd stick with hydroguard if we were still using individual buckets since cleaning them is so much easier when problems arise. but all this hard plumbing i did has been difficult to clean with anything other than bleach. Nothing else seems to fully kill the mess except for that.

My logic is this: going sterile will make sure that even if i don't get 100% of the bleach rinsed out between cleanings, that it wont be killing anything added to the system after cleaning. Salt based nutes, and H2o2 should play well together and we plan on refreshing the H2o2 every 3 days. Just to be safe. Weighed out the options of using hydroguard, GWS, Z7, Orca and H2o2. H2o2 will be the most cost effective for us.

Thanks for stopping by man! :passitleft:

Gladly! Algae and bacteria love light. And will breed like crazy if any light touches the water in your system. Hence the use of Hydroguard or some other root enzyme/bacteria. If you have clear air lines, only use them outside the buckets. all the air lines entering buckets should be black just to be safe. we use check valves on our air lines. So if need be, use clear from the pump to the check valve, then black from the valve to the bucket. Better safe then sorry. A little more investment now, can save you from having to dump water and nutes prematurely because of algae.

It was supposed to be a "club" for a costume we were making our son last year. Unfortunately the glue i used to attach the layers didnt bond properly so it just sat in my scrap pile until it's new life presented itself :yahoo:

Thanks @Rexer I think we are just going sterile all the way with this one. and with a chiller of course. I'd stick with hydroguard if we were still using individual buckets since cleaning them is so much easier when problems arise. but all this hard plumbing i did has been difficult to clean with anything other than bleach. Nothing else seems to fully kill the mess except for that.

My logic is this: going sterile will make sure that even if i don't get 100% of the bleach rinsed out between cleanings, that it wont be killing anything added to the system after cleaning. Salt based nutes, and H2o2 should play well together and we plan on refreshing the H2o2 every 3 days. Just to be safe. Weighed out the options of using hydroguard, GWS, Z7, Orca and H2o2. H2o2 will be the most cost effective for us.

Thanks for stopping by man! :passitleft:
Sounds like a great plan my friend! And yeah I keep a bottle of 29% h202 handy at all times. Bleached my hands first time using it, then the Mrs bought me some rubber gloves :rofl:

Chillers are an awesome way to go! Your gonna have one awesome setup!

I heard of a guy once who rinses his mouth with H2o2. Not the crazy 30% food grade stuff we use, but still. Whitest damn teeth i have ever seen though o_O.

Thanks man. We're really excited for the chiller to arrive Wednesday :yahoo:

Today is the day my Chiller is supposed to arrive at the shop. Of course now that i said that, it wont be there. But that's life right? Also, our damn PH/PPM meter took a turn for the worst yesterday and has stopped working. The PH readings are all over the place, even in reference solution. And, the temp function just climbs and climbs until it hits its ceiling at 99*F. Gonna bring that with me to the shop today and see if the "hydro man" as i call him, has any tricks up his sleeve. Don't really care for the temp function since we have a dedicated probe in the res for that. But i need our PH function back. PPM/EC still works, but doesn't do much good without the PH to go with it.

Nice setup @Michael Hunt :bravo: I run Undercurrent RDWC. A chiller will solve a lot of your problems. And spot on with the light leaks, want to keep as much light as possible. When i use Coco in RDWC this does the job for me, otherwise I use some blackout fabric around the stems, covering the tops of the pots if using Hydroton.

I'm in :peace: As i said, i run RDWC too, feel free to stop by and say hey

@GoogleGenie Thank you for the kind words, we truly appreciate it :thanks:

I will definitely have to say hey next time we're admiring your garden. I was showing the misses your set up the other night telling her i hope to get ours looking like yours here soon. Glad to have you along for the ride :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom