Come Grow With Me: A Beginners Guide

Technically, my first plant was a window seal plant (bag seed) in our Chicago Apartment it turned out to be a male.

I got a taste of growing in my youth with one of my long dead Great Uncles that grew. Uncle Otto would always have me digging holes down to the water line in the oddest of places and paid me pretty well too.

When I was in college about half of my fraternity brothers were from Meigs County Ohio, so I got to see some interesting shit.

in our Chicago Apartment
You had to go & mention Chicago didn't you ? .... lol. I'm originally from Calumet City & every year at this time I wish I was home so bad. Arizona SUCKS at Christmas ! Who the hell wants to wake up X-mas morning to the Sun Shining, Brown & green desert colors & an F'n Cactus with X-mas lights ? Not me ! I miss my white Christmases still after 37 years. I just have no real holiday spirit without snow. It's not Christmas to me.

Dang, Calumet City boarders Hamond right? I've had couple crazy adventures around there.

I grew my first female plant in sun room that we had when we lived in Ravenswood Manor. I don't even know what lights I was using. Finished her with a T-5 and whatever crap I had. Somehow we got an oz of fairly decent flower.

My wife and I were North Siders for 11 years. She grew up in Columbus and I grew up in Ross County, OH. Growing up on the edge of Appalachia living in Chicago was kinda like living in OZ. It a special city on a global scale and it is nestled right in the Mid West.

Moving back to Southern Ohio from Chicago feels like I live in the South, but nothing like AZ. Absolutely couldn't stand living without winter.

Got a little update. I planted my 3 new seeds last night & fired up the 5x5 tent. I haven't set the Ink Bird yet because I wanted to see what temps are like without the outdoor air 1st. 81 F was the high temp last night in the tent; so not real bad. I'll set the Ink Bird today to see how that works out.
Never the less I see no reason to run 2 veg tents at the same time so I put the Peyote Wi-Fi in with the 3 new plants.
I'll move this one back to the 3x3 when it's time to flower her or I need the room.
Anyway, here's the pics of what's going on.
9-234.JPG
9-235.JPG
9-236.JPG
9-237.JPG
9-238.JPG

wish i was as tidy as you lol , great job :goodjob: though once i have my mainline finished my room is getting a make over , I've been too messy for too long , i need to give my self a good shake and get things in better order ,when things are messy you cant think straight and your falling over things and breaking g plants :laugh:
you inspired me to be more tidy:thanks: :cheesygrinsmiley::cheesygrinsmiley:

wish i was as tidy as you lol , great job :goodjob: though once i have my mainline finished my room is getting a make over , I've been too messy for too long , i need to give my self a good shake and get things in better order ,when things are messy you cant think straight and your falling over things and breaking g plants :laugh:
you inspired me to be more tidy:thanks: :cheesygrinsmiley::cheesygrinsmiley:
LOL. When I was younger & had roommates I had a couple move out on me. They said I was too much of a Neat Freak for them. "NO", they were just slobs IMO.

Does the Hammond Times News Paper even exist anymore? I remember as a youth just about every small town had some form of News Paper (not that Hammond is small).

Greenfield, Ohio a place where the population teeters between being a village (pop: 4897) and a small city (pop: 5045 use to have its own newspaper. Seemed just about every week or at least every month there would be a fatal car crash right on the front page. Hell of a thing to see when browsing over the family' coffee table at four or five.

On a cultivation note I think I am going to attempt my first journal/half journal when I flower out my avatar plant Goliath #1 (may try to clone her). Gotta get off my ass and prepare my new flowering space. Height is a limit, so I may have to top :oops: her.

I started her with two 92 watt Tasty LED's, CREE, COB, (chip technology I am not a scientist I just to try find great lights). Then I just picked up a I think a 225 watt light from Horticulture Lighting as a versatility light, use it as a secondary or mid flower light, or even like I am using it now to try to veg. larger plants.

What I am going to do next is start running the two 92 Watt LED's in conjunction with the 225 watt. Then I am going to run the lights six inches from the top colas if practical and/or possible to try to keep thickening the plant and flatten the canopy. Of course I will lower the lights gradually and even use the dimmer switches if need be.

What I would really like to do is grow a diamond shaped plant.
Anyway failure or success it seems like it maybe an entertaining journal.

Does the Hammond Times News Paper even exist anymore?
My aunt still gets it, but it's just "The Times" now.
I made the front page as a teen in the late 70's when I played a small part in robbing Lincoln Federal Savings & Loans in a Taxi Cab. Tear Gas & Red Die all over that cab. 357 fell out on the floor. What a stupid teen I was.
Not like that any more though. Haven't talked to a cop in 30 years.

LOL. When I was younger & had roommates I had a couple move out on me. They said I was too much of a Neat Freak for them. "NO", they were just slobs IMO.
if you seen what way my grow room is you would piss , its just 5 polystyrene blocks from inside a fridge lorry at the bottom of a yard , so its kind of thrown up at the mo

My aunt still gets it, but it's just "The Times" now.
I made the front page as a teen in the late 70's when I played a small part in robbing Lincoln Federal Savings & Loans in a Taxi Cab. Tear Gas & Red Die all over that cab. 357 fell out on the floor. What a stupid teen I was.
Not like that any more though. Haven't talked to a cop in 30 years.
Wow!!! I made the paper(s) a few times for winning FFA contest, livestock judging, and hog shows. All for a calf scramble too.

I use to own a Smith & Wesson 686 .357 revolver. Sadly I primarily used it for deer hunting instead of armed robbery endeavors.

Only have an old shotgun and a Glock 9mm now. Keep them at my mom's.

My best friend from high school and best man at my wedding is a cop well technically Sheriff's Deputy. He is a breeder and I am not, so we don't hang out too much anymore.

He is quite obese kinda like the Chief of Police on the Simpsons.

A guy he pulled over once outran him in a wheelchair.

Actually we are going to go white tail hunting together next week. Hopin he doesn't fall over dead during the hunts.

His career basically consist of napping in his cruiser.

Anyway part of being a human is forking up when you are young. One thing cultivating and forking up have in common is there are a million and one ways to do it.

Yeah, I was about 16 at the time & hanging out with the wrong crowd. But the 70's in Chicago were crazy. Everyone was whacked out on Angel Dust & doing all kinds of stupid shit. It was hard to find "The Right Crowd".
But that was almost 44 years ago & I can think about what a stupid teen I was & shake my head.

Despite not hanging out with the "The Right Crowd", most people would have to read fiction to just get a glimpse of your experiences. Most people don't really live life, most people pretty much live in the Matrix.

Forking up is something I am an Expert at.

Tell you what I've had the experiences of a dozen lifetimes and there are Trust Fund folks that have not really lived a day in their lives.

Yeah, I was about 16 at the time & hanging out with the wrong crowd. But the 70's in Chicago were crazy. Everyone was whacked out on Angel Dust & doing all kinds of stupid shit. It was hard to find "The Right Crowd".
But that was almost 44 years ago & I can think about what a stupid teen I was & shake my head.
I feel all that Buds, maybe not the robbery part but we certainly did stupid shit and any mind altering substances we could get our hands on.

The 80s were a crazy time as well, coke was flowing like water everywhere and I’m still surprised any of us made it out alive TBH.

If I have to confess, I do miss to good old days though, maybe not the craziness but certainly the more low tech era, when all the fun we had was outside having a ball together.

Playing army, yard football and baseball, riding bikes, building forts any anything else our imaginations could think of.

Kids these days just don’t get it...:eye-roll:

I feel all that Buds, maybe not the robbery part but we certainly did stupid shit and any mind altering substances we could get our hands on.

The 80s were a crazy time as well, coke was flowing like water everywhere and I’m still surprised any of us made it out alive TBH.

If I have to confess, I do miss to good old days though, maybe not the craziness but certainly the more low tech era, when all the fun we had was outside having a ball together.

Playing army, yard football and baseball, riding bikes, building forts any anything else our imaginations could think of.

Kids these days just don’t get it...:eye-roll:
100% agree to that. I hate to say this, but the only place I've seen where kids are still doing that are in the really poor neighborhoods. It brought me joy to see them pushing an old wooden go cart they made & they were having fun too.
Brought back my days as a kid for a minute. But then I thought of what a lot of the rest of their lives must be like & it bothered me. I guess in my old age I managed to grow a heart.

I think the li'l gal is recovering nicely in her 5x5 Temporary home. Her new limbs are starting to come out a little & her leaves are laying nice & flat; just soaking up some rays.

The way the leaves lay. I may have to copy a page out of my book & post it for some of you to believe it.
Anyways, it seems a lot of people on here (probably the majority) say the leaves on the plants should be pointing upward (They call it praying to the gods) toward the light.
I personally don't believe this. I believe the leaves should be laying flat.
Which leave will get more Photosynthesis ? The one with leaves at an angle or leaves that lay flat under the light ?
The leaves are the plants Solar Panels that soak up the energy & provide it to the plant.
This is another reason I try not to defoliate unless necessary until I get ready to Flower. I want as many leaves as possible soaking up that energy. Once you start to flower you know which leaves are OK to remove. If there's a bud next to it .... leave it. If not & it's blocking light or air .... remove it.
This is the way I defoliate.

Feel free to mention the ways you guys do things so new growers can see other methods. Mine is not the only way. It's just the way I choose & like.

I'll get some pics up soon (tonight or tomorrow. I have to spend most of my day applying for jobs on-line.
Been laid off almost 4 weeks now & it's getting to me being home so much. I must have applied for well over 100 jobs so far. Had 2 calls saying they were closing up shop, 2 calls said they were barely hanging on, 3 interviews - but that's as far as it went. So I gave up on finding a job in Printing that I've done for 42 years & started applying for other things.
I have an interview Monday at UPS for a drivers position. Better then nothing till I can find work again.
Damned this Virus crap !

I think the li'l gal is recovering nicely in her 5x5 Temporary home. Her new limbs are starting to come out a little & her leaves are laying nice & flat; just soaking up some rays.

The way the leaves lay. I may have to copy a page out of my book & post it for some of you to believe it.
Anyways, it seems a lot of people on here (probably the majority) say the leaves on the plants should be pointing upward (They call it praying to the gods) toward the light.
I personally don't believe this. I believe the leaves should be laying flat.
Which leave will get more Photosynthesis ? The one with leaves at an angle or leaves that lay flat under the light ?
The leaves are the plants Solar Panels that soak up the energy & provide it to the plant.
This is another reason I try not to defoliate unless necessary until I get ready to Flower. I want as many leaves as possible soaking up that energy. Once you start to flower you know which leaves are OK to remove. If there's a bud next to it .... leave it. If not & it's blocking light or air .... remove it.
This is the way I defoliate.

Feel free to mention the ways you guys do things so new growers can see other methods. Mine is not the only way. It's just the way I choose & like.

I'll get some pics up soon (tonight or tomorrow. I have to spend most of my day applying for jobs on-line.
Been laid off almost 4 weeks now & it's getting to me being home so much. I must have applied for well over 100 jobs so far. Had 2 calls saying they were closing up shop, 2 calls said they were barely hanging on, 3 interviews - but that's as far as it went. So I gave up on finding a job in Printing that I've done for 42 years & started applying for other things.
I have an interview Monday at UPS for a drivers position. Better then nothing till I can find work again.
Damned this Virus crap !
amazon is not bad to work for. They pay above 20 dollars for their drivers.
i been trying to hire people for the last three weeks. Canadians are spoiled.
they don't want to work but get free money instead. the gov help is only 2k while they could make 4k in a month.
Nope, i rather sit home and not do anything and get 2k!

amazon is not bad to work for. They pay above 20 dollars for their drivers.
i been trying to hire people for the last three weeks. Canadians are spoiled.
they don't want to work but get free money instead. the gov help is only 2k while they could make 4k in a month.
Nope, i rather sit home and not do anything and get 2k!
Zon only paying $15.50 here. UPS is $17.97 & Fed-X is $18.95. Still not the $23 I've made for several years though so it will be really tight around here till I find a real job.

Zon only paying $15.50 here. UPS is $17.97 & Fed-X is $18.95. Still not the $23 I've made for several years though so it will be really tight around here till I find a real job.
ill hire you for 23. heck people here want 30 for not knowing jack shit

Awww...That little girl is off to a great start brother ;)

I always felt like a dad looking after a newborn at that early stage in their life.

Man, I really need to get back into growing again...Grrr, damn GA laws!!!
I'm in the Atlanta metro area

Back
Top Bottom