DharmaBud's First Grow Soil White Widow Auto & Silver LA-2013

But won't it require HST to snap the inner portion of the branch to fill in gaps when you are LST'ing out wards?

That can be risky business it depends on strain some are fragile even in late growth and will snap and not recover. A lot of mainstream varieties cope because they were selected due to positive response to that kind of treatment but it is still risky business. You can always gain in one way but you always lose in a couple others. I learn this by screwing up a lot on purpose even if given advice to avoid adverse methods. I suggest you give your idea a shot it is the best way. I bet it will be a splendid result you seem to have a knack with these girls :) :thumb:

I read that you just let them grow, you actually stunt them by doing any lst hst fim or topping.

That is BS! You will end up with a better plant in the end Buddy. Take a look at my mine. They have been whacked to hell and back. My 2 cents worth.:peace:

Of course that does not apply to autos.:Namaste:

Sorry DBud. I didn't mean to sound like a DI.

I wana join OMM with this, i grown (same pheno) plants without training, with topping/fimming and with LST only.
The plant will change behaviour a bit after top/fim - it will get more bushy, really helps branching. Also weight ditribution among buds will be more even. With LST only i always had 1 bigger bud at least and branching was always bit less then i would have preferred.

And you were afraid that no one would frequent your Journal LOL!
Happy Skunkday Nephew:)

That is BS! You will end up with a better plant in the end Buddy. Take a look at my mine. They have been whacked to hell and back. My 2 cents worth.:peace:

Of course that does not apply to autos.:Namaste:

Sorry DBud. I didn't mean to sound like a DI.

I wana join OMM with this, i grown (same pheno) plants without training, with topping/fimming and with LST only.
The plant will change behaviour a bit after top/fim - it will get more bushy, really helps branching. Also weight ditribution among buds will be more even. With LST only i always had 1 bigger bud at least and branching was always bit less then i would have preferred.

OMM and Invi, I was just talking about hearing that your supposed to let Auto's grow, my WW is an auto. I am well aware and can't wait to FIM and hack my Silver LA when it gets a little taller. Unfortunately my journal turned into and mixed up two of my plants and they got mixed in the conversation.

So I LST'd my AUTO WW, and like I said I already FIM'd the Silver LA, but need to grow it out more to start any LST or HST.

That's why I will be Fimming and HSTing this plant.

The manipulation of topping or fimming doesn't just affect the nodes just below it.......the whole plant takes notice and will for lotsa side branches! Good weed dharma!....shit, the pants look great!

I agree Mac, thank you!
And you were afraid that no one would frequent your Journal LOL!
Happy Skunkday Nephew:)

Never afraid, apprehensive is a better word! lol!

Hey guy's, in all the hustle and bustle, nobody ever answered my question or educated me on what to expect when I fimmed my Silver LA, compared to what I got. I will post the pics again, so you don't have to go back...

this is right after fim
IMG_014631.JPG

This is yesterday I believe
IMG_015527.JPG

Don't know what I should be seeing, but all I see are two leave growths that look like the ones I fimmed a number of days ago! What should I be seeing? Do I fim these too? Any advice, throw it at me, educate, I absorb like a sponge!

Hey guy's, in all the hustle and bustle, nobody ever answered my question or educated me on what to expect when I fimmed my Silver LA, compared to what I got. I will post the pics again, so you don't have to go back...

this is right after fim
IMG_014631.JPG

This is yesterday I believe
IMG_015527.JPG

Don't know what I should be seeing, but all I see are two leave growths that look like the ones I fimmed a number of days ago! What should I be seeing? Do I fim these too? Any advice, throw it at me, educate, I absorb like a sponge!

How did you fim it? This is a new term to me I am a little confused lol

Thanks B.Real. Because I'm just growing a couple plants at a time, I want to try and get the most yield out of them as I can. Fimming I was told actually creates two new separate shoots, which is what I'm looking for. I want to be able to HST it into A short wide bush with tons of buds created by lateral growth of bending over the normally vertical branches. Well that's my goal anyway, we'll see how that goes lol!

topping distributes auxins evenly, fimming leaves them stuck at the top of the plant which results in a bunch of little tops

Instead of taking the whole new growth at the top of the plant, you cut about 80% of it and leave the rest, from what I read and have been told it yields better results than topping, but that is yet to be seen by me.

Instead of taking the whole new growth at the top of the plant, you cut about 80% of it and leave the rest, from what I read and have been told it yields better results than topping, but that is yet to be seen by me.
So you scoop up to 80% of the leaves off the top in 4 growth sections? So the leaves look stubby and it bushes out? Interesting. I need to know more been researching it but it still confuses me a little. I think I fimmed one of my tobacco plants by accident when I was removing side suckers , I did not pinch the entire growth section off so 2 popped out , I gotem off now though lol

So you scoop up to 80% of the leaves off the top in 4 growth sections? So the leaves look stubby and it bushes out? Interesting. I need to know more been researching it but it still confuses me a little. I think I fimmed one of my tobacco plants by accident when I was removing side suckers , I did not pinch the entire growth section off so 2 popped out , I gotem off now though lol

Go to google and look up FIM 420 and you should see a few posts with pictures and explanations from here. I don't have the picture in my gallery so I can't post sorry.

the fim method is just taking the very tip of the main stem and cutting 80% off the new growth, so it will be like 2 leaves that are not formed properly and you cut that down 80%, this can give you upto 4 tops in a young plant

topping involves removing the top set of leaves all together and you cut it back so you level with the node below, this will then give you 2 main tops which can then be topped again at a later date,

how ever you dont need to top or fim to get many main colas, their are a few other options
option 1, low stress training, all you do is pull the top of the plant over so its running sideways instead of been allowed to grow up, this then makes all the lower branches at the nodes become the top of the plant, this gives you as many tops as you want, the more you tie it down and the longer the stem gets the more side shoots you get growing upwards, so its not that much different to a scrog, plus you can also tie the side branches down to get even more growing up but you would need a bigger plant to tie side branches down and a bigger grow space,

option 2, high stress training, this method involves squeezing the main stem until it goes soft then you bend it over, if dont right it makes the plant stop growing past that part while it repairs the damage done, this stops nutrients reaching past the part you damaged so all this is then focussed on the growth below it, so while the damaged part is been repaired the plant is focussing its energy growing the lower nodes so they then become the top of the plant.

option 3, now this is a method i use but not seen many other growers use, what i do is remove the top set of fan leaves on the main stem, this slows upwards growth at the top of the plant, then while the plant is growing the new set of fan leaves the nodes below then keep growing as normal and become the top of the plant, if the new leaves grow back and the branches below have not caught up then just remove the new set of fan leaves and that will allow all the lower branches to catch up giving you 4 or more main cola,

more main colas does not always mean more yield, one main stem with give you one huge bud, 4 main colas will give you 4 smaller buds tht may or may not increase the yield, it all depends on how much veg period your going to give them,

now for the autos, i know harley has experimented with autos and done some lst, i do use lst but only a very light version where i just gently pull the stem over so the whole plant is getting light, i dont go to far and make it grow side ways,
now the reason i dont do this is autos dont have a veg period as such, they grow then flower, so their is no set veg period, some are in veg for 2 weeks and some for 6 weeks depending on lighting schedule and strain,

so topping an auto will stunt the upwards growth by anything from 7 to 10 days
fimming would also do the same,

so lets say your auto starts flowering at week 3 of growth, so you topped at week 1 then the plants takes a week to recover which does not inccrease the veg time it stops the plant growing for that amount of time which will mean you have a smaller plant,

some autos strains like big bang auto will produce 4oz per plant or so i have seen, so as these have a longer veg period then you could use some lst to open the plant up, but id would defol or top or fim or anything like that unless you know the auto strain and you know its goung to be in veg for 4 or 5 weeks,

you cant choose how long an auto is in veg for so it dont exactly have a specific veg period, so if it only has 2 or 3 weeks before it starts flowering then anything to slow growth will always affect yeild,

would harley of got a bigger yield if he let his auto grow without any training, who knows its just something we will never know, you cant clone an auto so cant do a side by side grow.

i use lst to a small extent and just slightly bend the stem over to make sure all nodes are getting light and all bud sites are getting light, but i think any stress to an auto will slow growth and affect yield.

but each to their own and its your grow so try what you like, i will be doing some testing on autos once i get these seeds im crossing then i can try different growing methods without worrying about yield as much.

i know most growers wont do anything to autos due to them getting stunted, stunting an auto by 1 week means you get 1 weeks less growth, plus if its stats flowering in the middle of anything your doing then it will stop the stretch and decrease the yield.

harley got good results with the method he used but is it the best method, would he of got a bigger yield if he just let it grow as is and used no training, its due to what harley did that i will run tests with some autos in my next grow, i got a huge kc45 auto male growing that ive been collecting pollen from, my auto bubble fem has just stared growing as well, ive got another fem kc45 auto so ill have plenty of seeds to try different methods with.

the problem is anything you do to a plant even lst means the plant has to have time to recover,when you use lst you are making the plant move its energy into other parts of the plant, so this takes time and slows growth while it does this.

you can use lst from seedlings stage though ive done it a few times, you can tie a seedlings down so its growing sideways from a couple of days old, doing this stops the top of the plant becoming the main stem, instead it keeps the whole plant level and the growth at the nodes then becomes the top of the plant, i find doing it early on forces the growth at the nodes to develop a bit sooner

you can also use lst to train the plant to run around the edge of the pot or set up a pole and have the stem running along a pole so it keeps the stem running sideways and this makes the side branches become the top of the plant, you can even run the stem to the left of the pot then curl it round to the right so you have the stem zig zagging across the pot, this will give you many many tops, its basically the same as a scrog but without the screen,

Back
Top Bottom