DobeWan's Perpetual Adventure 2.0: The Reboot

Making your Journal into a tutorial is a good plan, many future noob's will thank you for that!:thumb:

I have been surfing some of the recent started journals from many noob's that haven't ever grown a plant before let alone MJ...they tend to spend good $$$ on the equipment but fail to do the research on how to use it and expect a huge return...anyone can sprout a seed but taking that seedling to the next steps and a good finish is the hardest part indoors or outdoors...remember back around last June/July... a couple of noob's, one growing in Coco and one growing in RDWC & Coco!:laughtwo:

Hats off Dobe, spread your gained knowledge and keep learning and refining...that is the future!:goodjob:

Come on OTM, I know enough to know you were far from a noob! You just disguised yourself as one! :laugh:

I figure at this point I'm in enough of a groove on certain aspects that it makes sense to share how I do them. I know when I was that summertime noob, I very much appreciated seeing exactly how people do certain things that we take for granted somewhat once we have a couple of grows under our belts. I know transplanting was particularly daunting to me, but as I did it a few times, I learned little tricks to make it a bit easier. Now I don't sweat it. Hopefully that's the kind of thing I can pass on and make the experience a little less daunting to someone who is new to it. Plus, I like teaching, it's in my family!

That's also a hint that I'm going to show how I transplant next - I took photos last night of me prepping the pots and running water through the coco as a rinse, and they're being seasoned tonight with nute solution. Tomorrow night, I'll transplant VK and AxOG and if I have time, get that tutorial up.

I think other than tutorials I'll try to bring a little more of my personality in from time to time with occasional non-grow topics with this journal. I intentionally tried to keep quiet on a lot of the things that make me me until I had my registration documentation in place. I'm still not about to go around advertising who I am in real life, but I'm definitely more relaxed at this point in talking about my interests and peeling the onion back just a little.

Care to share the pointers you may have acquired on sativa harvest info. Will be needing it in the future.

Sure thing JM. Chocolope expressed sativa traits that taught me things - the height and everything that came with it being the big one. So off the top of my head, my first tip would be to get ready for the stretch, height, and weight of the top buds and get some structural support in place. I'll likely be picking up plant yo yos before Liberty Haze gets too far along. I tried a lot of support ideas, from tethering stalks to one another to keep them in place, to tethering them to bamboo, and found they're all inherently dangerous because you're putting stress on the stalk at one point, which could damage the stalk and the "nutrient highway". I figure yo yos are the safest way to avoid damaging the stalks and keep everything upright. If I was tethering to bamboo again, I'd use an individual length of bamboo for each stalk I want to support (rather than one bamboo length with multiple branches tethered to it), and I'd tether at multiple points along the stalk, to minimize strain on each, and to ensure I've tethered highly enough to prevent the stalk from leaning over the highest tether point. I'd also tether after stretch, but in advance of when the support is needed.

My other big tip would be around the indicators for when things are ready. I got a little lazy about checking trichomes given that I was still seeing new white hairs forming. I finally checked and found that things were already ambering up. I wanted to pull earlier but couldn't until I had flushed to my liking. Don't rely on the hairs - mine was still producing new white ones when I took it down, full of amber trichs.

It probably goes without saying, but harvest early or late depending on tastes. My Chocolope is very mellow given the late harvest, but that fits with the character of the strain. I'll probably aim to take Liberty Haze down without much amber since I expect it to be a more psychedelic strain, and I want that characteristic.

That's what I can come up with off the top of my head - hope that helps. But definitely ask someone with more experience on the sativa side as well. PW I know has grown a few.

Come on OTM, I know enough to know you were far from a noob! You just disguised yourself as one! :laugh:

I figure at this point I'm in enough of a groove on certain aspects that it makes sense to share how I do them. I know when I was that summertime noob, I very much appreciated seeing exactly how people do certain things that we take for granted somewhat once we have a couple of grows under our belts. I know transplanting was particularly daunting to me, but as I did it a few times, I learned little tricks to make it a bit easier. Now I don't sweat it. Hopefully that's the kind of thing I can pass on and make the experience a little less daunting to someone who is new to it. Plus, I like teaching, it's in my family!

That's also a hint that I'm going to show how I transplant next - I took photos last night of me prepping the pots and running water through the coco as a rinse, and they're being seasoned tonight with nute solution. Tomorrow night, I'll transplant VK and AxOG and if I have time, get that tutorial up.

I think other than tutorials I'll try to bring a little more of my personality in from time to time with occasional non-grow topics with this journal. I intentionally tried to keep quiet on a lot of the things that make me me until I had my registration documentation in place. I'm still not about to go around advertising who I am in real life, but I'm definitely more relaxed at this point in talking about my interests and peeling the onion back just a little.

No shit on a shingle here Dobe, I was just as green as you when it come to indoors, what I grew way back was foggy and really didn't apply...the basics did but doing it in a controlled environment was new to me...I am so glad that I decided to join this form verses the others out there, following along with many that have posted on all your journals as well as mine have made me connect things from the 70's to growing in current times...I could name the many names but that would be redundant as its all about helping understand, promote, and connecting...Keep doing what you are doing my friend!:thumb:

I always have so many things to say when I come over here and than keep reading and forget them! LOL I feel right at home here, we're all sitting in a circle around Dobe, OTM, PW and Ase to say a few. We're all Lil noobs taking notes with raised hands. Me next! Lol

Honestly, I really appreciate the time y'all veterans take to hold our hands and help. I promise to do the same as I learn . These tutorial are exactly what's needed out there. I started the research for growing about 2 years ago and it's honestly very overwhelming. I'm glad the first site I chose was 420!
Hats off fellas ✌️

There ya go, just be you and a lot of new members will feel comfortable coming to you for help.

Man Dobe I'm glad you're back. Like Penny said just be yourself.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. When I finished my first journal pw suggested I take what I learned and use it to help others and I won't lie, I initially felt like, who am I to be able to help? But I'm feeling far more confident that I can pass something on now than I was then.

I always have so many things to say when I come over here and than keep reading and forget them! LOL I feel right at home here, we're all sitting in a circle around Dobe, OTM, PW and Ase to say a few. We're all Lil noobs taking notes with raised hands. Me next! Lol

Honestly, I really appreciate the time y'all veterans take to hold our hands and help. I promise to do the same as I learn . These tutorial are exactly what's needed out there. I started the research for growing about 2 years ago and it's honestly very overwhelming. I'm glad the first site I chose was 420!
Hats off fellas ✌️

I’m glad you feel that way newty. If at any time anything I do raises some question just ask. Hopefully if nothing else when someone who’s not a ‘regular’ to my journal happens by they feel like they can join in.

No shit on a shingle here Dobe, I was just as green as you when it come to indoors, what I grew way back was foggy and really didn't apply...the basics did but doing it in a controlled environment was new to me...I am so glad that I decided to join this form verses the others out there, following along with many that have posted on all your journals as well as mine have made me connect things from the 70's to growing in current times...I could name the many names but that would be redundant as its all about helping understand, promote, and connecting...Keep doing what you are doing my friend!:thumb:

It’s just so refreshing here that there’s no BS drama. People keep the snarky stuff out of it. So many forums just devolve into pettiness over time as people try to win imaginary internet points and it doesn’t seem to happen here. It seems like people here get that it’s not a competition.

I too hope I helped some with the build journals I done. I glen information from every journal I read through.

I was impressed when I read your RDWC build. Very clear and easy to follow, and very clean work. I will definitely come back to it when I decide to experiment with RDWC down the road. I’m with you, there’s so much to learn from journals, I only wish I had time to follow more. I can tell reading yours and Urbs based on some of the comments that there are fabulous soil grow journals out there I haven’t even touched for example. I need to win the lotto so I can spend more time reading! :laugh:

It's just so refreshing here that there's no BS drama. People keep the snarky stuff out of it. So many forums just devolve into pettiness over time as people try to win imaginary internet points and it doesn't seem to happen here. It seems like people here get that it's not a competition.

I think it's because we have a fantastic team of mods that monitor and police the forum. Hats off to you for all your hard work keeping this place peaceful.

I think it's because we have a fantastic team of mods that monitor and police the forum. Hats off to you for all your hard work keeping this place peaceful.
I also think it's just the people on this site. They do some good policing themselves and put things under control in their journals. Just a good relaxed atmosphere all around. I'm proud to be apart of it. .

Hey guys - I got hit hard by stomach flu last night. I’ve stopped being sick but still feel lousy. I did get Violator Kush and Amnesia x OG transplanted, and will do the same for White Widow and Liberty Haze tonight if I’m feeling up to it - everything is prepped so I expect I’ll be able to handle it.

I’ll be back with a proper update, including my transplanting tutorial, when I’m feeling better. Until then - lots of Hindu Kush and bed rest!

Back
Top Bottom