Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

That's it? I could use PromixHP + 1st run amendment for that. Cost effective.

What about the foliar and other fertilizers?

Hi used doc soil a few times for my tomato and green and red peppers. Used 20 gallon pots filled with docs soil(4th run) and just used left over feed from my other girls to feed tomato and peppers. No foilars used for me. Those were the tastiest tomatoes I’ve ever had.

Hi used doc soil a few times for my tomato and green and red peppers. Used 20 gallon pots filled with docs soil(4th run) and just used left over feed from my other girls to feed tomato and peppers. No foilars used for me. Those were the tastiest tomatoes I’ve ever had.
Mmmm I could order a bulk kit for my valuable crops and add an additional 1st run amendment + anything else that Doc thinks is needed for veggies and fruits... Would save on shipping and have the full kit for valuable crop and a reduced, poor man high-brix kit for the garden...

Doc what do you think?

Mmmm I could order a bulk kit for my valuable crops and add an additional 1st run amendment + anything else that Doc thinks is needed for veggies and fruits... Would save on shipping and have the full kit for valuable crop and a reduced, poor man high-brix kit for the garden...

Doc what do you think?

Or....we could test your native soil and amend it in such a way that you only need to water it....no other products. (a foliar or two wouldn't hurt...but it can be done so drenching is not needed.)

Or....we could test your native soil and amend it in such a way that you only need to water it....no other products. (a foliar or two wouldn't hurt...but it can be done so drenching is not needed.)
Interesting... However, I was planning on doing container grow (I like the raised bed idea) and would likely need to buy soil... I imagine one can amend "commercial" soil/substrate such as only water is required?

Still not sure what the best course of action is... but any option would be a great learning opportunity.

Interesting... However, I was planning on doing container grow (I like the raised bed idea) and would likely need to buy soil... I imagine one can amend "commercial" soil/substrate such as only water is required?

Still not sure what the best course of action is... but any option would be a great learning opportunity.

Option 1: Fill the raised bed with promix and worm castings and use the kit.

option 2: Test your native soil and amend per the test towards a goal of simplicity.
Option 3: Test and amend native soil and amend per the test with the goal of perfection.

I vote option number 1 or 2 this year.

I didn't realize this was an option outdoors. I've always dismissed doing my garden as I don't want to feed 100 plants by hand. This changes that up. I'm guessing that fall is the best time to do this, or is there still enough turn around that I could send a sample in and have enough time to amend and cook prior to planting in early May?

Option 1: Fill the raised bed with promix and worm castings and use the kit.

option 2: Test your native soil and amend per the test towards a goal of simplicity.
Option 3: Test and amend native soil and amend per the test with the goal of perfection.

I vote option number 1 or 2 this year.
I vote for option 1 for now. I can use the soil I already have and order a bulk kit for my indoor crop. Option 2 might be interesting if we decide to do non-container in the future.

Q: Can I left the soil outdoor for the winter and reuse it the next summer, providing I add some additional EWC?

Q: If option 1, would I need to use the whole kit? All the products, drenches and etc, correct?

Q: What's the shelf life of all the products? I'm doing 1 or 2 plants at the time indoor and wouldn't want the bulk kit to spoil after a while. If bulk too big for this time frame, I'll order 1 or 2 regular kit.

Thanks Doc, appreciate your input.

I didn't realize this was an option outdoors. I've always dismissed doing my garden as I don't want to feed 100 plants by hand. This changes that up. I'm guessing that fall is the best time to do this, or is there still enough turn around that I could send a sample in and have enough time to amend and cook prior to planting in early May?

If you got busy and got the test done right away, you'd be fine for May. Fall is best, of course.

I vote for option 1 for now. I can use the soil I already have and order a bulk kit for my indoor crop. Option 2 might be interesting if we decide to do non-container in the future.

Q: Can I left the soil outdoor for the winter and reuse it the next summer, providing I add some additional EWC?

Q: If option 1, would I need to use the whole kit? All the products, drenches and etc, correct?

Q: What's the shelf life of all the products? I'm doing 1 or 2 plants at the time indoor and wouldn't want the bulk kit to spoil after a while. If bulk too big for this time frame, I'll order 1 or 2 regular kit.

Thanks Doc, appreciate your input.
Ok so I got some answers using the search function of this forum... Quotes from Doc...

A: High Brix soil will winter well and yes, it will need a bit of perking up in the spring. Usually a single drenching with Tea in a hose end sprayer is perfect for smaller plot

A: Don't have the answer for this one. TBD.

A: Shelf life is about 1 year on Roots! two years on the other components if they're unopened in a cool, dark place with no temperature swings. If stored sub-optimally, shelf life is 6 months to a year depending

I have a virtual notebook where I keep all the useful info I get from this kit, from a new user perspective, either by direct answer from Doc or using the search function. I can share if interested.

Ok so I got some answers using the search function of this forum... Quotes from Doc...

A: High Brix soil will winter well and yes, it will need a bit of perking up in the spring. Usually a single drenching with Tea in a hose end sprayer is perfect for smaller plot

A: Don't have the answer for this one. TBD.

A: Shelf life is about 1 year on Roots! two years on the other components if they're unopened in a cool, dark place with no temperature swings. If stored sub-optimally, shelf life is 6 months to a year depending

I have a virtual notebook where I keep all the useful info I get from this kit, from a new user perspective, either by direct answer from Doc or using the search function. I can share if interested.
Cheers Flump. Only thing I’d say is to pay attention to the dates on the discussions as things did change and morph for Doc over time.

I can answer the one you don’t yet have an answer for...
If option 1, would I need to use the whole kit? All the products, drenches and etc, correct?
Yes. When Doc said ProMix and wormcastings in the raised bed, I’m pretty sure he meant PM and WC cooked with DBHBB kit amendment as per usual and the full compliment of kit products. Just like a regular kit grow, but outside.

Archiweedies did this with great success last season :thumb:

@Doc Bud
Doc - those words of yours Flump has there about shelf-life. I’ve seen you and others say much longer times than that. Can you clarify pls? :Namaste:

Sweet, i'm glad to see there's a discussion about planning for spring. I've got a couple spots of soil to dig up for some soil testing :thumb: I've got a couple questions to add to the discussion, maybe it'll help others.

How much soil is needed for a test?
How far down should we dig for the soil sample?
Can we start in doc's kit (1st run soil mix in 1 gal pots, maybe little bigger) and then put into native soil ground with amend per test? (i would be happy to put some mid size plants outside rather than having a few little ones. )
or Is it best to start seed / clones in native soil with amend from test?

Spring is around the corner, and i'm looking forward to having a outdoor high brix garden. Mostly looking forward to fruits and veggies grown in native soil with doc's stuff. I want my household / relatives to have a wow factor when it comes to eating my home grown fruits / veggies / cannabis. So far I've got cannabis down and I'm excited to get the other two down.

Thanks Doc!

Happy Hump Day!
:blunt:

Morning gang haven’t thrown up a pic of this run so here we are, I’m at day 25 since flip buds are coming along nicely, hazes took off I’ve done no training and all plants are in 7’s and topped once. They will be getting cats next week cheers gang :passitleft: Sorry for the half ass pic I’ll get a full tent pic with the 1/4 TP tonight
BED83C3D-A997-4E12-9F8A-6B79713FDD30.jpeg

Yes that won’t be accurate. As distilled water doesn’t have enough ions for the electrode to measure most times. Ph or ppm reader is not needed at all in docs kits. I haven’t used a ph or ppm meter in at least 3 years
Right now I'm running megacrop. Wont be starting with the goodies from doc for another two weeks. They say you dont need to ph water with megacrop so I guess I'll just put it in early retirement.

Cheers Flump. Only thing I’d say is to pay attention to the dates on the discussions as things did change and morph for Doc over time.

I can answer the one you don’t yet have an answer for...

Yes. When Doc said ProMix and wormcastings in the raised bed, I’m pretty sure he meant PM and WC cooked with DBHBB kit amendment as per usual and the full compliment of kit products. Just like a regular kit grow, but outside.

Archiweedies did this with great success last season :thumb:

@Doc Bud
Doc - those words of yours Flump has there about shelf-life. I’ve seen you and others say much longer times than that. Can you clarify pls? :Namaste:

Shelf life "could" be more than two years, but I cannot guarantee it and it could be much less than that depending on how it was stored. So, my statements are safe.

I read here recently that ph meters dont work for distilled or ro water. Is this true?
Pure water has a PH of 7. There shouldn't be a need to check PH unless/until you add something to it and there should be no need to check PH, at all, if using the kit with a good water source. ;)

Back
Top Bottom